I'm STILL looking for roselle leaves in Pattaya Thailand!

Jingthing

OK, I know roselle exists in Thailand but I just can't find the leaves for sale in Pattaya.

I refuse to give up hope.

Perhaps some people have an idea on how I can achieve this goal.

The reason I want the leaves is to cook a Burmese curry; the sour leaves are out of this world.

Roselle leaves in Thai:

กระเจี๊ยบใบ

(Kraceī́yb bı)

What they look like:

post-37101-0-49797500-1372484133_thumb.j

http://www.bestoodles.com/2011/06/soursoup.html

Yes I've tried the obvious, going to markets and asking for them in Thai and also showing pictures. Weirdly, when they can show me anything, they show me OKRA vegetable, not even leaves. I don't want OKRA.

Edited by Jingthing

Hello All, you might take a copy of the seed pack pic to show at the market.

You could to try to grow some in 8" pots, I show you a picture of my plants

in my garden in your last roselle thread.

rice55

don't give up. i would be getting a thai person to help you explain to people what your looking for.

they have to be around as the grajeap drink is in so many places. i love it as well.

if i remember i will ask the thai chefs at work tomorrow.

another thing to keep in mind is that some of these fresh fruit juice vendors (orange juice. plastic bottle, 20 baht.) sometimes sell grajeap and farang juice too. maybe ask them. i havn't seen a vendor like that in pattaya but i have in bamgkok

don't give up. i would be getting a thai person to help you explain to people what your looking for.

they have to be around as the grajeap drink is in so many places. i love it as well.

another thing to keep in mind is that some of these fresh fruit juice vendors (orange juice. plastic bottle, 20 baht.) sometimes sell grajeap and farang juice too. maybe ask them. i havn't seen a vendor like that in pattaya but i have in bamgkok

Thanks.

Of course the drink is made from the flowers not the leaves though. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a commercial powder of the flowers for the drink, though just guessing, never saw it.

The weirdest thing is more than one market vendor recognized the pictures of the leaves and the Thai word and seemed to know what it was, and said no have but pointed to OKRA as if it was part of the same plant.

As far as the leaves in restaurants, I know of at least one place in Chiang Mai that sometimes has the leaves in dishes, but for all I know they grew them in their yard.

Also, I think it is just a WEED. (Uh oh.)

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks.

Of course the drink is made from the flowers not the leaves though. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a commercial powder of the flowers for the drink, though just guessing, never saw it.

The weirdest thing is more than one market vendor recognized the pictures of the leaves and the Thai word and seemed to know what it was, and said no have but pointed to OKRA as if it was part of the same plant.

As far as the leaves in restaurants, I know of at least one place in Chiang Mai that sometimes has the leaves in dishes, but for all I know they grew them in their yard.

Also, I think it is just a WEED. (Uh oh.)

It is like a weed and I've got dozens of the plants growing on my land. Sorry, I'm not in Thailand currently or I'd send you some. My wife has the help collect both the leaves and the flower of this plant. Leaves for some curries as you mention, and flower for tea. Apparently there are several health benefits associated with this plant so I'm forced to drink it.

There was a guy in the Farming forum that bought and sold Rosella stalks, or bark or something. You might check there.

Edited by lannarebirth

Saw them today at Royal Project, Central. Sold by the bag; looked like dried leaves.

Will check but I think only fresh leaves are right for my dish. Today I saw dried red roselle flower for tea.

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app