Has anyone fished Cha Am fishing park recently?

dogpoo

Wanting to visit for a few days soon, anyone been recently and can give some up to date information, I have heard a rumor that many of the Red tails have been removed from the lake and re-located into the predator lake, I am wondering if the big Arapaima has also been moved!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wanting to visit for a few days soon, anyone been recently and can give some up to date information, I have heard a rumor that many of the Red tails have been removed from the lake and re-located into the predator lake, I am wondering if the big Arapaima has also been moved!!

I will be there next Monday for 3 days fishing, looking forward to some arm aching action!!

I have fished it maybe 5 times in the last year and haven't seen a red tail in that time so maybe that little whisper you heard could be true which is a shame.

Never seen an Aripama in the big lake neither.

Still a fantastic fishing destination for the cost of it..

Looks like it is true then, yes I have seen the big Arapaima caught twice in the big lake, I am wondering if this has also been moved over to the Predator lake!! I suppose you can understand the owner(Lek, he wants the valuable fish in the expensive pay lake, the fish caught in the big lake are badly treated by the Thais and I am sure some Farang as well, personally I like to fish for the Mekong, Chaya Phraya and hopefully a big Cahor will come along although these are not so easy to catch, my biggest so far is 60lb yes it's great and the best in Thailand for the money, cheap accommodation , cheap food, cheap beer if you drink, and cheap fishing! you can't go wrong! it's a 9 hr drive for me from Phuket but its worth it for a couple of days good fishing!!

Some of the ways the locals have treated the fish have been simply appalling.

I'd be fuming if it was my Lake, but good old Lek just sales and lets them crack on with it..;)

He doesn't seem bothered, I think he may be thinking of taking all the decent fish from the big lake and placing them in the predator lake, this could be my last trip if that is the case, there's a few places in competition around the Cha Am area all charging in the thousands for fishing, It will be a shame if the fishing goes down hill apart from the predator lake which was 4000฿ per day the last time I was there, too much for me!! also the big lake is a bit run down, last year the concrete I was standing on collapsed I had a nasty graze down my leg. I think the big lake is on it's way out, hope I am wrong!!

Some of the ways the locals have treated the fish have been simply appalling.

I'd be fuming if it was my Lake, but good old Lek just sales and lets them crack on with it..;)

He doesn't seem bothered, I think he may be thinking of taking all the decent fish from the big lake and placing them in the predator lake, this could be my last trip if that is the case, there's a few places in competition around the Cha Am area all charging in the thousands for fishing, It will be a shame if the fishing goes down hill apart from the predator lake which was 4000฿ per day the last time I was there, too much for me!! also the big lake is a bit run down, last year the concrete I was standing on collapsed I had a nasty graze down my leg. I think the big lake is on it's way out, hope I am wrong!!

To be honest I don't think he is concerned with making money from the fishing, I think he has his fingers in many pies, it's a great place and I hope it never changes!!

Just back from my 4 night 3days fishing trip to this park, it's still a great place with some work being done to improve the big lake, still the best value big fish fishery in Thailand, first day there saw me catch 9 Cahor, 2nd day 2, no more on the 3rd day, all the Cahor were from the smallest of approx 5kgs up to the biggest of approx 20kgs, lost some big ones with the hook pulling out, 9 hr drive for me to get to this park which is okay during the day, made the mistake of coming back through the night, these tour buses are just crazy!!

Looking forward to the next trip in a couple of months time!

There were a few fly fisherman there, looked very professional and catching many fish, this is something I would like to try in the future, wish this place was closer!!

What were they catching on the fly?

There were a few fly fisherman there, looked very professional and catching many fish, this is something I would like to try in the future, wish this place was closer!!

What were they catching on the fly?

I was at the other end of the lake but from what I could see they were catching Sawai, not sure if they caught any other species, they looked very professional in what they were doing, looked very enjoyable!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cracking fish!

I have my bait sorted for some fishing after work here in the UK. You'd think I was mad if you could see the weather outside Posted Image

I'm going to have to take a trip down to Cha Am next time I head over.

It's worth the trip, you won't get ripped off at Cha am, you don't catch Cahor every time and sometimes people catch none for months then bang it happens! I love it there, basic accommodation but perfectly okay, cheap food and drink, basically cheap everything! Roll on my next trip!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just the way it should be!

It's not a lot of fun fishing a place where the biggest fish jump on the hook all the time. It'll become mundane. It's nice that it's cheap as well. I know like you say the boss could run it to make big money but he chooses not to. Gnao Nam is the same. 150 baht a rod, 25 baht for bags of lam. Thailand doesn't have to be expensive. I still see a lot of westerners over here booking trips, paying 5000 to 15000 a day! My wife tells me how as a young girl she would pay 20 satang for ice creams. You couldn't do that any more, but if it's 50 baht it wont break the bank.

I'm going to do an hour of fishing tonight after work before it gets dark. I actually have a feeder, a sweet lam equivalent and I'm going to try baiting the tiny hook with a little polystyrene ball. I've done it for rohu in Thailand so it might just work here. They use unflavored foam for 'zig rigs' here.

• 2 weeks later...