1000 Baht can go a long way in Chiang Rai

pomchop

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a good post to remind us that we can live here on a reasonable amount of money if you don't allow some one to use it for you. For local goods the prices remain very reasonable. I do not look for a large influx of farangs here. Disregarding transit young teachers and missionaries I still believe that there or no more than 650-700 resident farangs living here. Collectively myself and a couple of others can only count 30 American residents that do not fall under the limited workers and transits.This was information from Immigration 3 years ago. The big influx of Thais is a concern for traffic and increases in the price of land in the country side. For 2 million Baht you can buy a piece of land in the country and build a decent house.

• Like 1

I always enjoy your posts pomchop. They reflect a true affinity for Chiang Rai.smile.png

I think my love for Chiang Rai is in many ways equal to yours, but different. For example my mileage varies a bit from yours but still I find most things no less wonderful or affordable.

I don’t ride the bus or eat in school cafeterias so can’t comment on those.

Living in the countryside many of our plants were acquired as cuttings from friends.

I don’t drink and don’t have hair so can’t comment on the cost of such things.

On the other hand, the wife and I would be lucky to get two meals for that when we eat in town.

It wouldn’t quite cover Sunday Brunch at the Meridien.

It would just about cover the cost of a massage for the two of us, without tip, at our favorite place.

When I had a motorbike I could maybe get two fillups. Even a top-up after a ride to town and back was over 200 baht.

It might cover half a tank in the car and less than a week of driving.

For us it would only cover one of our phone packages, not both.

It might cover internet but not True Vision.

It would feed our pets for a few days but I am not sure how many.

Clearly I don’t get as much for 1000 baht but I still love living here. A few hours out on the mountain bike enjoying nature, getting exercise and taking pictures costs almost nothing and walking the dogs at sunset is free and priceless at the same time.smile.png
  • Like 2

I can only gues that what you are calling unusual "Chinese" features might be hilltribe people "Chao Kao" - many of the different groups originated in China and moved down here to live in the mtns around CR and other parts - Lisu - Hmong - etc... their facial features are quite distinct.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Pomchop,

A very interesting post, thanks.

Here in Chiang Mai, 1k baht will buy you 50+ liters of fresh-made-every-day soy-milk.

I would guess, but I am not sure, that house rentals would be less expensive in the Chiang Rai area, depending on how far away from the center-city area you wanted to live, your concerns about security for self and belongings, whether you were living alone, etc.

But, Chiang Mai does have its great ("western" and "eastern") cultural resources.

~o:37;

I suppose you could get a soi-dog or cat for free but I have seen purebreds priced from 3000 up to 10000. You can get a large bag of dog food for less than 1000 baht, however, if you have a big dog.smile.png

As for distance, I can get between 350 and 400 kilometers for a 1000 baht of diesel, depending on where and how I drive.smile.png

Edited by villagefarang

I always enjoy your posts pomchop. They reflect a true affinity for Chiang Rai.smile.png
I think my love for Chiang Rai is in many ways equal to yours, but different. For example my mileage varies a bit from yours but still I find most things no less wonderful or affordable.
I don’t ride the bus or eat in school cafeterias so can’t comment on those.
Living in the countryside many of our plants were acquired as cuttings from friends.
I don’t drink and don’t have hair so can’t comment on the cost of such things.
On the other hand, the wife and I would be lucky to get two meals for that when we eat in town.
It wouldn’t quite cover Sunday Brunch at the Meridien.
It would just about cover the cost of a massage for the two of us, without tip, at our favorite place.
When I had a motorbike I could maybe get two fillups. Even a top-up after a ride to town and back was over 200 baht.
It might cover half a tank in the car and less than a week of driving.
For us it would only cover one of our phone packages, not both.
It might cover internet but not True Vision.
Clearly I don’t get as much for 1000 baht but I still love living here. A few hours out on the mountain bike enjoying nature, getting exercise and taking pictures costs almost nothing and walking the dogs at sunset is free and priceless at the same time.smile.png

Cookie doesn;t need feed......just turn him loose in a chicken coop.smile.png

• Like 1

Cookie doesn’t eat chicken but she did carry one around in her mouth when she was younger. A complete surprise when she opened her mouth and out popped a soaking wet chick, screaming and running around in circles looking for mommy.biggrin.png
You should see what my wife cooks for the dogs and even the cat.rolleyes.gif

Cookie doesn’t eat chicken but she did carry one around in her mouth when she was younger. A complete surprise when she opened her mouth and out popped a soaking wet chick, screaming and running around in circles looking for mommy.biggrin.png
You should see what my wife cooks for the dogs and even the cat.rolleyes.gif

Don't worry VF, if the wife cooks the best for the dogs, you will be OK when sent to the dog house......and you will have Cookie for company.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Good to see an OP about some of the positive things here in LOS for a change. I've only been to CR once, and liked it, but my preference is CM. We live about 18 klm east of the city, but with 4 major highways to get in and out of town within a few minutes of where we live. Granted, when we first moved here we were pretty much surrounded by rice paddies, which have all given way to other moo bans, major stores and other things, but it's still a good place to live. Due to a gradual increase in "foreigners" moving here, as well as an increase in tourists, there have been some increases in the price of things, but mostly those dealing with real estate. And I would say that, overall, the attitude among the locals is pretty much the same as it was back then.

I could make up my own list of what could be purchased for 1k baht, but I'll skip that and, instead, bring up the one fact that is, for me, is one of the predominate reasons most of us live here, and that is the overall cost of living. Let's face it, I seriously doubt that many of us could afford the comfortable lifestyle we have here back in our own countries. I know I couldn't. Not even close. Add to that my wife and the extended family I also "acquired", who all treat me with the utmost respect, and I can't think of any place else I'd rather be.

Nice to see you keeping a positive attitude, even with the changes you have experienced in your area, and thanks for the positive post.smile.png

You can get 11 and a half cups of coffee at Starbucks, no less.thumbsup.gifrolleyes.gif

Or 2.5 kg very good beans from Mae Sauei....350 shots of fine coffee.

Yes, but can you drink it before it goes stale? It might take a while to drink 350 shots of fine coffee.biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

You can get 11 and a half cups of coffee at Starbucks, no less.thumbsup.gifrolleyes.gif

Or 2.5 kg very good beans from Mae Sauei....350 shots of fine coffee.

Yes, but can you drink it before it goes stale? It might take a while to drink 350 shots of fine coffee.biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

You did see the way I was shaking last time I saw yousmile.png

• Like 1

The person who started this asked to please not make a big issue out of it. For all the people who keep commenting on what they have bought and what they have paid for is is crazy. You can buy anything you want and pay what ever you wish. No one cares about something that you recentely bought and what you paid for it. This is junk so can we start saying something uselfu and informative. ENOUGH!

The person who started this asked to please not make a big issue out of it. For all the people who keep commenting on what they have bought and what they have paid for is is crazy. You can buy anything you want and pay what ever you wish. No one cares about something that you recentely bought and what you paid for it. This is junk so can we start saying something uselfu and informative. ENOUGH!

Don You do not control this thread. You decide what you read and write. Do not decide it for others.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

This is the most popular thread we have had in ages. Just look at all the readers at the bottom of the page. Obviously people do care, so chill and be happy.rolleyes.gifcoffee1.gif

Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 2

It has never been my intention to control any forum. It seems like everyone is happy over the number of people who have responded to this thread telling us what they pay for something. I agree this is a lot better than nothing. Is it possible that we might be able to create a new thread that is informative about your travel and photo experiences in Chiang Rai. If not, keep on telling us what you pay for things because other wise we would not know. Worthless knowledge is better than none at all.

When the Mrs & I are up country ฿10k can last a good couple of months, granted, her house is owned outright so there's no rent or Mortgage to pay & it's on a farm that supplies most of our food but even when we're not economising we don't burn that much cash.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

For those knowledgable on prices of things can anyone tell me where I can find an electric driven paddle system for aeration of my fishing likes. I have located some in China but surely they must be some made and available in Thailand. I would like the 4 paddle type with the motor and drive mounted in the middle using 380 volt power. Many thanks if you have any information.