1000 Baht can go a long way in Chiang Rai

pomchop

For those knowledgable on prices of things can anyone tell me where I can find an electric driven paddle system for aeration of my fishing likes. I have located some in China but surely they must be some made and available in Thailand. I would like the 4 paddle type with the motor and drive mounted in the middle using 380 volt power. Many thanks if you have any information.

Please read the topic of this thread. If you wish to ask your question in a new one fell free to do so.

The Farming forum may be one of the best for this.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only speak for myself, but for me, Thailand has probably save my life in some ways. I spent 20 years on and "adrenalin rush" lifestyle of the U.S. Marines, with 18 of that spent in Recon & Force Recon. If you're unfamiliar with that, Google it. After the Marines, I wasn't sure what to do with my life, as other than being a Mercenary, or some CIA "black ops" outfit, there really wasn't much "demand" for someone with my "skills" in the job market. So I opened my own security company, hiring ex Recon and Seals. That was great, until my wife of 28 years finally lost her battle with cancer, and then my life fell apart. I can't describe the frustration of knowing I had once been one of the most elite in any branch of military, but here was an "enemy" that I couldn't fight, and had to watch it take from me the most important thing in my life.

After her death I fell apart in more ways than I can describe. Sold my business to two of my best employees, and then tried to find "solace" in the bottom of a bottle. Within a year I had lost everything and was pretty much living on the streets, fighting and drinking, not caring from day to day what happened. Fortunately I had a brother who was stronger than me in some ways. With the help of his friends in the Sheriff's department, and a couple of judges, a county wide search was put out for me. I was later told I was found in an alley, unconscious and near dead. I woke up in a rehab facility, discovering my brother had been able to obtain "custody" over me, which prevented me from leaving. Finally, after 3 months I was released, my brother helped me find a good job and get back on the road to straightening my life out. But there was still something "missing" that I couldn't describe.

I did well in my job, got 2 promotions, and then was offered a better one in Phoenix. I spent 4 years there, doing very well but, still, something was missing. I felt like I was merely existing, not really living, with no goals, no plans, just going from day to day. My boss, who was also one of the best friends I had, called me into his office one day and told me to take some time off. Take a month and go find myself. He suggested Thailand, as he knew from our conversations that I'd been here before and had always loved it. But those trips had been with my wife, and I wasn't sure about coming here without her by my side. He suggested I come to CM, where he had been on vacation once.

I can't explain it, but when I stepped off the plane at CNX, passed through Customs & Immigration, and walked outside the terminal, I felt like I had come home. During the month I spent here I found myself being able to actually relax for the first time in years. I discovered that I could smile and laugh again. Basically, I found peace. It was also during that time that I met the woman who would, about a year later, become my wife. Something I never thought would happen to me again.

I went back to Phoenix and told my boss: "I'm going home". He understood, helped me make all the arrangements, and when it was finally time to come back here permanently, drove me to the airport himself.

All of us who live here are aware of the problems of Thailand in regards to politics and the rampant corruption that permeates this country. All of us, in our own ways, engage in "Thai bashing" from time to time. Trust me, I do my own share, and have even "educated" my Thai wife to many of the things that go on here that wouldn't be tolerated in other countries, and now it's funny to hear her talk about "stupid Thai" sometimes. We read the various articles about things that happen here, and can only shake our heads at "Amazing Thailand" in a context that goes against everything the Tourism brochures and web sites promote. But we also know that, for the most part, there is really very little any of us can do to change things, so we accept life here, and deal with it in our own ways. Granted, some deal with it much better than others, but as individuals, that is the choice we make.

Now I enjoy life again. I have a beautiful home, and have been fortunate enough to find the love of a good woman not just once in my life, but twice. Yes, we have our "problems" and differences, but most of that is due to cultural differences and beliefs. At first my wife found it difficult to understand why I would buy a "big bike" and want to ride it all over Thailand just for fun, as she states that is something no Thai man would ever do. But after meeting other falang, and their Thai wives, who also share the love of riding just for the joy of it, she finally came to accept it as a "crazy falang thing", and it no longer bothers her when I throw things into a back pack, strap it on the bike and tell her I'll be home whenever I get back. Her only "requirement" is that I call her each night to let her know I'm still alive.

Her family accepted me with both love and respect. All of them have good jobs, and only once has one of them ever asked to borrow a baht, and that was for an emergency situation for which I was happy to help. And the one who borrowed it repaid it even before the time they said they would. I legally adopted her son 2 years ago when he was 26. He then surprised me by legally changing his last name to mine, stating he did so to honor me.

Now I have a beautiful home, and other things, that would be out of my financial reach back in the U.S.. I have an extended family that truly loves and respects me. So, despite all the crap that we read about on a daily basis, despite all the "problems" we may encounter at times, I, like many others, accept that as part of the "price" we pay for living here, and that those things pale in comparison to the "positives" that life here provides.

I am an American. I am a U.S. Marine. I will be till I die, and not even God can change those things in me. But Thailand, and Chiang Mai in particular, are my home now, and will be till I die.

Thanks for that abbreviated story, of your life and your affinity for Thailand. It points out so well that on top of the affordability of living here, there is also the possibility of bring people from very different backgrounds together with a shared appreciation for living in Thailand.
I was never in the military, don’t drink, never been violent or down and out, I recently sold my bike and yet your words resonate deeply and passionately. Thanks for sharing.
Edited by villagefarang
  • Like 2

For those knowledgable on prices of things can anyone tell me where I can find an electric driven paddle system for aeration of my fishing likes. I have located some in China but surely they must be some made and available in Thailand. I would like the 4 paddle type with the motor and drive mounted in the middle using 380 volt power. Many thanks if you have any information.

Please read the topic of this thread. If you wish to ask your question in a new one feel free to do so.

The Farming forum may be one of the best for this.

That is actually a very good suggestion about the Farming forum.thumbsup.gif

Let's face it, when living in LOS, you might want to take the Marine Corps philosophy of : "Adapt, Improvise, Overcome" into consideration, along with a good sense of humor. If you don't, or can't, chances are you are not gonna be happy here.

whistling.gif

• Like 1

So, despite all the crap that we read about on a daily basis, despite all the "problems" we may encounter at times, I, like many others, accept that as part of the "price" we pay for living here, and that those things pale in comparison to the "positives" that life here provides.

I am an American. I am a U.S. Marine. I will be till I die, and not even God can change those things in me. But Thailand, and Chiang Mai in particular, are my home now, and will be till I die.

Thank you!! Your post brought tears to my eyes. I was a fmf corpsman for a short time years ago. I agree that we must remind ourselves of the benefits here that out-weigh the negatives. Thailand and the people here have saved my life also.

Banana seedlings ? Most are propogated from suckers, not seed.

Technically you are correct but in casual conversation seedling is often used to refer to young plants. I think a little poetic license is acceptable in a nontechnical topic like this.smile.png

• Like 1

Once again, great thread PomChop.

1000 Bt does go a long ways here.

A vivid memory of my second trip here is when "I" invited my future new family to the hotel here in Rim Kok for dinner.

They even baked a chocolate cake for us on request. ( or had it delivered, what ever :) )

After a wonderful evening with 15 guests it was time to pay the bill and I still had visions of a western price tag in my head.

Dinner for 15 friends and family = 4000bht

The smiles, gratitude and good times = priceless.

Yes, this thread is about what we pay for things here in Thailand and more specifically, Chiang Rai.

Sometimes it is good to reflect on the monetary price of our existence here as compared to where we came from.

It is also very important to reflect on what our choice does for us personally, spiritually and socially.

Yup, I dig it here!

Thanks for a "feel good" thread Pom wai.gif

• Like 2

What about the three months of the year when "breathing" is optional? '_'

Priceless chortle, this is...

Beautiful spot, no doubt. I just find breathing good air a little more important.

tongue.png

For 1000 baht you can buy two bus tickets from CR to BKK and go breathe that nice fresh BKK air.

Two weeks back, in Chiang Rai, 1000 baht paid for 3 days accommodation and internet with 100 bath change.thumbsup.gif

They even gave you 6 bottles of water.,

6 bottles of water? Thats like a 40-60thb value! unless they're given out Evian

I have read this thread a couple of times but still don't understand what Don is complaining about.

Here is my contribution:

1000 baht will pay for 6 days of my home electric bill.

Same, same.thumbsup.gif

1000 baht for 6 days? Do you guys have a data center or growing weed indoors?? Lol

Although I am in BKK I spent around 500 for the whole month (no air con though)

I have read this thread a couple of times but still don't understand what Don is complaining about.

Here is my contribution:

Same, same.thumbsup.gif

1000 baht for 6 days? Do you guys have a data center or growing weed indoors?? Lol

What can I say, our golden retriever prefers air-conditioned comfort and as a doting parent how could I possibly say no to her.wink.pngbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Here is my contribution:

Same, same.thumbsup.gif

Three children in my case. They can't sleep without air, even though they wrap themselves up so tight in their duvets that they can't possibly feel it.

• Like 1