pomchop

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it was 3k Bht and not 1k.

I'm gonna tell it anyways.

My first adventure at a Thai dentist. Last week! crying.gif

It was a hot and muggy afternoon in downtown Chiang Rai.

My lovely wife and I walked into the dentists office, it was quiet.....almost "too" quiet. (Stick with me here, just plagiarizing a bit and setting the mood)

I made eye contact with the bird behind the counter and whistled. whistling.gif

My wife chatted with the lady beside the bird and I was told to sit down while they planned my fate, so I did.

All I wanted was a shiny new tooth and to wash and wax the rest. Sounded easy. No Problem. "Painless", I was thinking.

I think they leave you in the seat so the numbness that starts in your butt would work it's way up to your teeth and no need for freezing.

Thats if you are there for more than a cleaning off course. I wouldn't be needing freezing............ or would I? blink.png

The lady beside the bird behind the counter told my "number only one" to have "farang go number one"....room number one, not that!

I tried to get up but the numbness was complete.

Only in my butt and legs though. I crawled to room number one and they strapped me in. <deleted>? (kidding, no straps)

A beautiful Thai lady looks in my mouth and says..... "we fill this many holes" referring to the cavities in my teeth.

I say "When?"

She says "Now!"

I break out in a sweat and jokingly (sort of) say "Uhm, OK. But I may scream and cry like a little girl" hehe.....hew00t.gif

She does what any beautiful Thai lady would do. Gives a deadly smile.........a cute little giggle and then she kick starts the drill!

Theres that suction thingy and fingers in my mouth. I CAN"T SCREAM!!!!!

Now an impending date with a dentist's drill, but, but, but...... what about the needle? The freezing?

This can't be how they do it here. Are Thai people really this tough? Holy CRAP!

My "number only one" leaves the room. Is that a good sign? Me thinks not.

It only hurt for a little while. Weird. In between sob's and whimper's, I realize that there is no pain! Weird.

I finally stop crying and figure maybe it's just shock. I don't taste any blood! This is a good thing. Still no pain.....also good.

The beautiful but deadly Thai dentist lady turns off the diesel powered drill and places the tray of sharp pointy things beyond my grasp.

The lovely assistants unstrap my wrist's and ankles. (Still kidding)

I'm told to rinse and spit. I try to do so as casually as I can. It's hard to rinse and spit (and maybe dribble a little) and still be cool.

Cool? I wipe the tear stains off of my cheeks and smile. Now THAT's cool!

All done. Shiny new tooth. 5 cavities repaired. (quiet, yes I brush!) and all teeth polished.

Million Dollar Smile = 3000 Baht.

Slight embellishment of the facts for my TV buddies = Priceless

I strayed off topic a wee bit, but for 3k bht I had 5 cavities drilled and filled, cleaning and a shiny new plate with a fake tooth to fill that hole in front.

The first visit "back at" would cost that and then I'd be forced back for two more "expensive" trips.

And the dentist really was attractive!

Cheers from here,

Aft. biggrin.png

Not in Chiang Rai but in Australia. The dentist said to me: " If I had 10 patients like you I would quit" He then prescribed me Valium for further visits.

• Like 1

Buffet dinner for 6 at the Rimkok or 6 coffees at Starbucks

Wow Harry so a starbucks coffee in CR is over 150 baht? I never go there so don't know but I sure hope it is good coffee for that price. Sounds to me like a full buffet at Rim Kok is a better deal than one cup of coffee.......

Buffet dinner for 6 at the Rimkok or 6 coffees at Starbucks

Wow Harry so a starbucks coffee in CR is over 150 baht? I never go there so don't know but I sure hope it is good coffee for that price. Sounds to me like a full buffet at Rim Kok is a better deal than one cup of coffee.......

Especially as the buffet includes free coffee....well the coffee is mud but the free iced coffee is more than delicicious.

Chiang Mai/ Chiang Rai are boring after a few days there, even with a good partner. You do need to be in reach of the seaside always.

Boring is in the eyes of the beholder.

For me, hookers and pole dancers are boring, but your mileage may vary.

What about the three months of the year when "breathing" is optional? '_'

Priceless chortle, this is...

Beautiful spot, no doubt. I just find breathing good air a little more important.

tongue.png

Living in Japan (not Tokyo) I had a coworker who constantly complained about air pollution. He was

the only person I met in 12 years there who was concerned about it.

This year, I lived through Chiang Mai's "terrible" three months and other than some haze when looking

at the distant mountains didn't notice any particular problem. Maybe I'm just naive... sick.gif

Chiang Mai, like every place else in the world, may not be perfect, but I have no plan to ever leave.

• 9 months later...

I spent my adolescence surfing and sailing off the beaches of Hawaii but prefer living here. That was then, this in now.smile.png

Me too kauai for 20 years.

Now 18 years in thailand.

Then and now for sure.

Some things about CM will always love.