How far can you drive the ball?

Forethat

How far can you hit the ball with your driver?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You seem to have left out the 0-50 yard option !!

Incomplete survey....

Hmmm.......me think that's covered in the hackers section. whistling.gif

I can carry 250 plus but I have also (and still do occasionally) duffed it off the tee so I guess that makes me a hacker...............;-)

PS - I never understand why when replying on some posts the rich text stuff is all greyed out?

Should not be a case of how long but

where you put it that counts.

Am i on the right forum here?

Very few long hitters remain consistent on tour.

Look at a guy like Siddikur on the Asian Tour,

only hits hit about 250 yds but very rarely out of the top 10.

The long drive guys cant even make it on tour.

Keep staright and in play let the boom boom boys

do there own thing you will end up with the lower

score over time.

Potters

score over time.

Potters

I would like to be a boom boom boy!

score over time.

Potters

Why, in your opinion, should accuracy be more important than distance?

The real answer is far more complex than an arbitrary statement like the one you post above.

Without going to deeply in this I can say that to answer this question you have to factor in several things:

1. Who you are (age, type of player etc)

2. Where you play

3. What hole you play (par 3, 4 or 5)

4. The characteristics of the hole

5. The condition of the course

6. etc.

7. etc.

This list goes on for ever, more or less.

There has been some research in this area and most research indicates that for an average hacker (mid age, mid playing skills etc.), the preference is to bomb it as far as you can off the tee. With the PGA professionals its a bit different, but the factors above still applies.

I'd like to comment on the "long drive guys". These guys are often very low hcp golfers, I even know a few in person who are plus handicappers My opinion is that they are scratch or better simply due to their ability to consistently whack the thing 375 yards of the tee. If you'd place their ball next to mine after the tee shot they'd shoot 82, so what is the difference here? The distance off the tee, nothing else. But long driving is not golf, so dont compare it with golf. You dont compare a sprinter with a long distance runner do you..?

On the other hand, I know a couple of guys on the PGA tour who wouldn't do too shabby on the long driving tour. The flip side of the coin...

Edited by Forethat

score over time.

Potters

Why, in your opinion, should accuracy be more important than distance?

The real answer is far more complex than an arbitrary statement like the one you post above.

Without going to deeply in this I can say that to answer this question you have to factor in several things:

1. Who you are (age, type of player etc)

2. Where you play

3. What hole you play (par 3, 4 or 5)

4. The characteristics of the hole

5. The condition of the course

6. etc.

7. etc.

This list goes on for ever, more or less.

There has been some research in this area and most research indicates that for an average hacker (mid age, mid playing skills etc.), the preference is to bomb it as far as you can off the tee. With the PGA professionals its a bit different, but the factors above still applies.

I'd like to comment on the "long drive guys". These guys are often very low hcp golfers, I even know a few in person who are plus handicappers My opinion is that they are scratch or better simply due to their ability to consistently whack the thing 375 yards of the tee. If you'd place their ball next to mine after the tee shot they'd shoot 82, so what is the difference here? The distance off the tee, nothing else. But long driving is not golf, so dont compare it with golf. You dont compare a sprinter with a long distance runner do you..?

On the other hand, I know a couple of guys on the PGA tour who wouldn't do too shabby on the long driving tour. The flip side of the coin...

Why in my opinion is accuracy more important than distrance.

Well seeing as you like to dish up facts i will leave you to answer your own question.

Cant say i agree with the bulk of your comments but that is why its a forum

everyone has their own opinion.

Should not be a case of how long butwhere you put it that counts. Am i on the right forum here? Very few long hitters remain consistent on tour.Look at a guy like Siddikur on the Asian Tour,only hits hit about 250 yds but very rarely out of the top 10. The long drive guys cant even make it on tour.Keep staright and in play let the boom boom boysdo there own thing you will end up with the lowerscore over time. Potters

Why, in your opinion, should accuracy be more important than distance? The real answer is far more complex than an arbitrary statement like the one you post above. Without going to deeply in this I can say that to answer this question you have to factor in several things:1. Who you are (age, type of player etc)2. Where you play3. What hole you play (par 3, 4 or 5)4. The characteristics of the hole5. The condition of the course6. etc.7. etc. This list goes on for ever, more or less. There has been some research in this area and most research indicates that for an average hacker (mid age, mid playing skills etc.), the preference is to bomb it as far as you can off the tee. With the PGA professionals its a bit different, but the factors above still applies. I'd like to comment on the "long drive guys". These guys are often very low hcp golfers, I even know a few in person who are plus handicappers My opinion is that they are scratch or better simply due to their ability to consistently whack the thing 375 yards of the tee. If you'd place their ball next to mine after the tee shot they'd shoot 82, so what is the difference here? The distance off the tee, nothing else. But long driving is not golf, so dont compare it with golf. You dont compare a sprinter with a long distance runner do you..? On the other hand, I know a couple of guys on the PGA tour who wouldn't do too shabby on the long driving tour. The flip side of the coin...

Why in my opinion is accuracy more important than distrance. Well seeing as you like to dish up facts i will leave you to answer your own question.
I already answered. Read my post again.

Cant say i agree with the bulk of your comments but that is why its a forumeveryone has their own opinion.

Correct. I have an opinion as well, and that is that in order to enjoy the game you should keep the ball in play, and that is done by using your brain and playing conservatively. Check the world golf ranking and tell me the big hitters aren't at the top...?

The problem with competitive golf is that short and straight is not enough, now you have to be long AND straight... Keep in mind there are as many victories on the tour won by players who have one of them weekends with the wedges as a player with one of them weekends with the driver. As a caddie you'll be on misery hill just as many sat-sun regardless if you got a bomber's or a short hitting player's bag.

The length is by far the biggest factor when the difficulty of a golf course is built in to the architecture. Being able to hit it far is a massive advantage, and that advantage should not be given away.

Also, hitting it big is not only about the driver, the advantage of hitting an 8-iron 185 yards is massive if you compare to the guy who's hitting a 6-iron on the same hole.

So, if you want to win, hit it big - and straight.

Check the Race to Dubai top 10 only Charl Schwartzel averages over 300 yds with his driver.

I will still take a player hitting Greens in Regulation and Putting well over a long hitter.

I remember following John Daly at the Thai Invitational 2 years ago.

Looked great for the crowds how far he hit t it but could not chip and putt for shit.

Course management is vital.I would sooner be on the bag of a guy who manages his game well IE over someone who can smoke it.

I know there will be regular pay checks

Also we only seem to talk about men check out the ladies stats.

2 women are dominating this year.

Inbee Park No 1 in putting ---15th In GIR NOT IN TOP 50 FOR DRIVING LENGTH

Suzanne Peterson No 1 for GIR and 15th putting GIR ---45th for driving length.

Some courses set up better for long hitters but they are generally in America not Europe also the weather to contend with.

Asia i would say is about 50-50

By the way i do like your articles at least you take the time to give valid reasoning and your opinions.

Keep em coming

Regards

Potters

ps yet to be on a big hitters bag

Forgive a personal story but...

Many years ago I showed up as a single at Carnoustie in Scotland. The starter placed me with two burly looking gentlemen in Scotland for a golfing holiday that proved to be two members of the Chicago Blackhawks professional hockey team.

To make a long story short, I ended up shooting a 78 on the day yet neither of them broke 90.

They consistently outdrove me by 60-80 yards but couldn't seem to get the white pellet in the hole.

I'll take a short game any day over a 330 yard drive.

Forgive a personal story but...

Many years ago I showed up as a single at Carnoustie in Scotland. The starter placed me with two burly looking gentlemen in Scotland for a golfing holiday that proved to be two members of the Chicago Blackhawks professional hockey team.

To make a long story short, I ended up shooting a 78 on the day yet neither of them broke 90.

They consistently outdrove me by 60-80 yards but couldn't seem to get the white pellet in the hole.

I'll take a short game any day over a 330 yard drive.

Here's another personal story...

I know a guy who started playing golf as a result of hanging out with his mates at the local driving range when he was 30 and had lost his job. He noticed he could hit the bleeding thing much further than his mates. A dozen of us went on a golfing trip to portugal the following year and he shot 63 at Penha Longa with one ball out of bounds... Not very difficult when you can whack a 7-iron 240 yards. And this guy was <deleted> at short game and putting...he was an 8 hcp at the time. He was off +3 after playing for 3 years.

The problem when you discuss this topic is that those who advocate hitting it shorter and more conservatively almost always assumes that hitting it long automatically results in an avid shot that ends up in problems. Sorry, but that's just not the case. Nowadays, everything favours the ones who can hit it long AND straight, and those are the ones who win most tournaments, that's a fact.

For hackers, it's a different thing, especially with the easier conditions in mind that doesn't punish half as much as it does on the tour. For pro's, pin positions, run outs and all other chances of ending up in trouble is a couple of the more important factors when you pull your club on tee; just as potters pointed out, course management often dictates why pros might hit a 3-iron on the hole where they measure driving distance. I'd say the average hacker is not even aware of how much strategic thought that goes into a shot on a professional level.

So, in short; I'd take a 330 yard drive down the middle every day AND a great short game.

Edited by Forethat

It's obvious you have never played Carnoustie.

I have played Carnoustie many many times. Tournament and recreational.

And with that I expect that you accept the rules of this forum and at least attempt to address the topic rather than making arbitrary (and incorrect) statements regarding other posters...?

Edited by Forethat

I hardly ever use my driver as I'm way too inconsistent with it. From the tee I usually go with my 4 hybrid which I can carry up to 250 with a smooth hit, and from there it can then do anything from plugging to rolling another thirty yards depending on the state of the fairway and my trajectory.

I agree with the OP as to striving for long and straight, but given the choice I would go for straight (hence me hardly ever taking driver from the tee) over long.

If you look at the world's top twenty, only two of them (McIllroy & Scott) are in the top twenty for length of the tee. Where most of the top players make up their scores is in the putts gained per round and the up & down stats.

On most of the PGA courses players can pretty much put it anywhere from the tee and still post a good score (hence the last Ryder Cup set up). Look at the recent US Open and being long off the tee wasn't as important as keeping it in play.

I hardly ever use my driver as I'm way too inconsistent with it. From the tee I usually go with my 4 hybrid which I can carry up to 250 with a smooth hit, and from there it can then do anything from plugging to rolling another thirty yards depending on the state of the fairway and my trajectory.

I agree with the OP as to striving for long and straight, but given the choice I would go for straight (hence me hardly ever taking driver from the tee) over long.

If you look at the world's top twenty, only two of them (McIllroy & Scott) are in the top twenty for length of the tee. Where most of the top players make up their scores is in the putts gained per round and the up & down stats.

On most of the PGA courses players can pretty much put it anywhere from the tee and still post a good score (hence the last Ryder Cup set up). Look at the recent US Open and being long off the tee wasn't as important as keeping it in play.

Small remark..:

The PGA driving stats doesn't take into account the club used. In addition, driving is not always measured on a hole where players hit driver. This means there's a discrepancy between who is a "big hitter" and the PGA stats. For instance, Henrik Stenson is ranked 58th in Driving Distance, but he rarely uses a driver. Because he's so big off the tee he can play a shorter club and gain accuracy, that is why he's ranked 6th in Driving Accuracy. I think he was 1st in Total Driving until US Open.

There's a massive advantage being big off the tee. This has been debated over and over again, the advantage distance/accuracy was the reason they decided to restrict the grooves (simply because players didn't give a flying fig as to where the ball ended up as long as they gained distance. Easier to make birdie with 130 yards to go from the long stuff, than from 200 from the short stuff.

Small remark..:

The PGA driving stats doesn't take into account the club used. In addition, driving is not always measured on a hole where players hit driver. This means there's a discrepancy between who is a "big hitter" and the PGA stats. For instance, Henrik Stenson is ranked 58th in Driving Distance, but he rarely uses a driver. Because he's so big off the tee he can play a shorter club and gain accuracy, that is why he's ranked 6th in Driving Accuracy. I think he was 1st in Total Driving until US Open.

There's a massive advantage being big off the tee. This has been debated over and over again, the advantage distance/accuracy was the reason they decided to restrict the grooves (simply because players didn't give a flying fig as to where the ball ended up as long as they gained distance. Easier to make birdie with 130 yards to go from the long stuff, than from 200 from the short stuff.

That's an interesting point - thanks for that (!) ForeThat. I wasn't aware they didn't consider the club used on the measured holes.

Forethat

So, in short; I'd take a 330 yard drive down the middle every day AND a great short game.

So i take it you now agree that accuracy is more important reading your comment above.

As a drive down the middle and a great short game are all based on accuracy.

It looks like a pretty even thread,those that agree with you and those that dont.

Being a big hitter is far better suited to the American game than in Europe.

You will like my next thread next week but cant tell you yet LOL

Potters

Forethat

So i take it you now agree that accuracy is more important reading your comment above.

It looks like a pretty even thread,those that agree with you and those that dont.

Potters

Of course! I have stated earlier that my personal opinion is that accuracy is preferred, but if winning is important you need to bomb it off the tee. My opinion is one thing, hard fact is something different.

Dustin Johnson, he's a great example because he hits driver more or less all the time; when he's hot and straight with the driver, he wins or is top 5.

Look at John Daly, when he won PGA Championships 1991 he smoked it off the tee and was 40-50 yards ahead of other player on every hole. A nobody. He won for ONE reason only; he bombed it and had one of them weeks... Luke Donald has what could be the deadliest short game on the PGA tour, he's won how many majors...???

You mentioned Suzanne Peterson, she's one of the biggest hitters on the LPGA tour...

As I said, there are several players who can hit it 330 yards with a 3-wood, and there are others who can only squeeze 300 out of their driver. Who's got the advantage, you think...?

And lastly, if you're 250th in driving stats on the PGA tour; then you're big off the tee, no matter what people believe. Even Luke Donald is big off the tee.

But most important; not many hackers can hit a 270 yard drive, but most of them claim they can.

Forethat

Potters

Of course! I have stated earlier that my personal opinion is that accuracy is preferred, but if winning is important you need to bomb it off the tee. My opinion is one thing, hard fact is something different.

Dustin Johnson, he's a great example because he hits driver more or less all the time; when he's hot and straight with the driver, he wins or is top 5.

Look at John Daly, when he won PGA Championships 1991 he smoked it off the tee and was 40-50 yards ahead of other player on every hole. A nobody. He won for ONE reason only; he bombed it and had one of them weeks... Luke Donald has what could be the deadliest short game on the PGA tour, he's won how many majors...???

You mentioned Suzanne Peterson, she's one of the biggest hitters on the LPGA tour...

As I said, there are several players who can hit it 330 yards with a 3-wood, and there are others who can only squeeze 300 out of their driver. Who's got the advantage, you think...?

And lastly, if you're 250th in driving stats on the PGA tour; then you're big off the tee, no matter what people believe. Even Luke Donald is big off the tee.

But most important; not many hackers can hit a 270 yard drive, but most of them claim they can.

Your last line made me chuckle as that is so true followed by and im a good putter.

Potters