BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Forethat

How far can you drive the ball?

How far can you hit the ball with your driver?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No wind. Flat. Normal Thai golf course with normal roll. How far do you hit the thing with the big stick?

Edited by Forethat

The furthest I have ever driven a ball is from Pattaya to Bangkok when I was playing with my mates at the Royallaugh.png . Honestly 200 yards on a good day.

You seem to have left out the 0-50 yard option !!

Incomplete survey....

Hmm...granted.

whistling.gif

Incomplete survey....

Hmmm.......me think that's covered in the hackers section. whistling.gif

Incomplete survey....

Hmmm.......me think that's covered in the hackers section. whistling.gif

I can carry 250 plus but I have also (and still do occasionally) duffed it off the tee so I guess that makes me a hacker...............;-)

PS - I never understand why when replying on some posts the rich text stuff is all greyed out?

On the 540yd par 5 this morning I drove just over 310 yards off the tee.

Hit my 5 wood to the edge of the green and putted in from about 25 yds for eagle.

Bugger!

Then I woke up.

post-51-0-59375600-1372669055_thumb.jpg

Not far enough.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Should not be a case of how long but

where you put it that counts.

Am i on the right forum here?

Very few long hitters remain consistent on tour.

Look at a guy like Siddikur on the Asian Tour,

only hits hit about 250 yds but very rarely out of the top 10.

The long drive guys cant even make it on tour.

Keep staright and in play let the boom boom boys

do there own thing you will end up with the lower

score over time.

Potters

score over time.

Potters

I would like to be a boom boom boy!

"Drive for show, but putt for dough."

Bobby Locke

• Like 1

score over time.

Potters

Why, in your opinion, should accuracy be more important than distance?

The real answer is far more complex than an arbitrary statement like the one you post above.

Without going to deeply in this I can say that to answer this question you have to factor in several things:

1. Who you are (age, type of player etc)

2. Where you play

3. What hole you play (par 3, 4 or 5)

4. The characteristics of the hole

5. The condition of the course

6. etc.

7. etc.

This list goes on for ever, more or less.

There has been some research in this area and most research indicates that for an average hacker (mid age, mid playing skills etc.), the preference is to bomb it as far as you can off the tee. With the PGA professionals its a bit different, but the factors above still applies.

I'd like to comment on the "long drive guys". These guys are often very low hcp golfers, I even know a few in person who are plus handicappers My opinion is that they are scratch or better simply due to their ability to consistently whack the thing 375 yards of the tee. If you'd place their ball next to mine after the tee shot they'd shoot 82, so what is the difference here? The distance off the tee, nothing else. But long driving is not golf, so dont compare it with golf. You dont compare a sprinter with a long distance runner do you..?

On the other hand, I know a couple of guys on the PGA tour who wouldn't do too shabby on the long driving tour. The flip side of the coin...

Edited by Forethat

score over time.

Potters

Why, in your opinion, should accuracy be more important than distance?

The real answer is far more complex than an arbitrary statement like the one you post above.

Without going to deeply in this I can say that to answer this question you have to factor in several things:

1. Who you are (age, type of player etc)

2. Where you play

3. What hole you play (par 3, 4 or 5)

4. The characteristics of the hole

5. The condition of the course

6. etc.

7. etc.

This list goes on for ever, more or less.

There has been some research in this area and most research indicates that for an average hacker (mid age, mid playing skills etc.), the preference is to bomb it as far as you can off the tee. With the PGA professionals its a bit different, but the factors above still applies.

I'd like to comment on the "long drive guys". These guys are often very low hcp golfers, I even know a few in person who are plus handicappers My opinion is that they are scratch or better simply due to their ability to consistently whack the thing 375 yards of the tee. If you'd place their ball next to mine after the tee shot they'd shoot 82, so what is the difference here? The distance off the tee, nothing else. But long driving is not golf, so dont compare it with golf. You dont compare a sprinter with a long distance runner do you..?

On the other hand, I know a couple of guys on the PGA tour who wouldn't do too shabby on the long driving tour. The flip side of the coin...

Why in my opinion is accuracy more important than distrance.

Well seeing as you like to dish up facts i will leave you to answer your own question.

Cant say i agree with the bulk of your comments but that is why its a forum

everyone has their own opinion.

Should not be a case of how long butwhere you put it that counts. Am i on the right forum here? Very few long hitters remain consistent on tour.Look at a guy like Siddikur on the Asian Tour,only hits hit about 250 yds but very rarely out of the top 10. The long drive guys cant even make it on tour.Keep staright and in play let the boom boom boysdo there own thing you will end up with the lowerscore over time. Potters

Why, in your opinion, should accuracy be more important than distance? The real answer is far more complex than an arbitrary statement like the one you post above. Without going to deeply in this I can say that to answer this question you have to factor in several things:1. Who you are (age, type of player etc)2. Where you play3. What hole you play (par 3, 4 or 5)4. The characteristics of the hole5. The condition of the course6. etc.7. etc. This list goes on for ever, more or less. There has been some research in this area and most research indicates that for an average hacker (mid age, mid playing skills etc.), the preference is to bomb it as far as you can off the tee. With the PGA professionals its a bit different, but the factors above still applies. I'd like to comment on the "long drive guys". These guys are often very low hcp golfers, I even know a few in person who are plus handicappers My opinion is that they are scratch or better simply due to their ability to consistently whack the thing 375 yards of the tee. If you'd place their ball next to mine after the tee shot they'd shoot 82, so what is the difference here? The distance off the tee, nothing else. But long driving is not golf, so dont compare it with golf. You dont compare a sprinter with a long distance runner do you..? On the other hand, I know a couple of guys on the PGA tour who wouldn't do too shabby on the long driving tour. The flip side of the coin...

Why in my opinion is accuracy more important than distrance. Well seeing as you like to dish up facts i will leave you to answer your own question.
I already answered. Read my post again.

Cant say i agree with the bulk of your comments but that is why its a forumeveryone has their own opinion.

Correct. I have an opinion as well, and that is that in order to enjoy the game you should keep the ball in play, and that is done by using your brain and playing conservatively. Check the world golf ranking and tell me the big hitters aren't at the top...?

The problem with competitive golf is that short and straight is not enough, now you have to be long AND straight... Keep in mind there are as many victories on the tour won by players who have one of them weekends with the wedges as a player with one of them weekends with the driver. As a caddie you'll be on misery hill just as many sat-sun regardless if you got a bomber's or a short hitting player's bag.

The length is by far the biggest factor when the difficulty of a golf course is built in to the architecture. Being able to hit it far is a massive advantage, and that advantage should not be given away.

Also, hitting it big is not only about the driver, the advantage of hitting an 8-iron 185 yards is massive if you compare to the guy who's hitting a 6-iron on the same hole.

So, if you want to win, hit it big - and straight.