French man 'scammed' of 276,000 Baht by Thai bride

webfact

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how this young Lady could do this to a freshly devorced, overwhelmingly handsome and horny, vital looking old man with proven intellect and an income of 400.000 Thb.

But then I found this:

THE CURSE OF EVOLUTION

evolution_500.png

Edited by TackyToo

What is the big lesson in all this? The same thing I have been advising friends for years. Take your time. Most Thai women want to push things along. Insist that we take it slow. If she is not ok with that, there is an agenda. Of course financial security is always part of the agenda. But, a sincere woman will be ok with letting things develop. And how do you marry someone you have never even met? How do you know there is compatibility on any level? Meet them, spend alot of time together, and then get to know them, and if everything works out over time, get married. I would say there is no reason to marry without having spent at least one year together, and that is full time together. If it is good, it is only going to get better, and if there are problems, they are going to show themselves over time. And no big gifts and prizes prematurely. That just corrupts the relationship. This guy went about it all wrong. Alot of these women know how emotionally vulnerable many foreign men are. They prey on that. So, buyer beware. Of course this floozy was an extreme example of how wrong things can go. But, I do not think he has a legal leg to stand on. All of the mistakes were his. I think he may need to take some responsibility for doing this all wrong, and move on. He was impatient, and she was an opportunist. What a match.

• Like 2

Only 276k?! Shoot, I have had gfs worse than that—and friends in ozi, with the ozi wives!!! (house, car, dog...). But seriously, that sux. Good luck with the cops. Next time try before you buy.

Was a cheap bad experience !...bud very expensive for the ego of a French lover to be..and a stupid one....Go to the police???? Come onnnnn.

I don't actually see how he was scammed. She promised to marry him, and she did. OK - only a country wedding, but a wedding and ceremony nonetheless. He promised to give her gifts and money, and he did.

Surely now it's purely a marital disagreement over sex (or lack thereof)?

Both parties fulfilled their obligations - he's even got wedding photos to prove it. Assuming she used her correct name and didn't hide behind a false identity, all seems fine to me. Just another dense Falang that was too eager to put his hand in his wallet without doing due diligence. coffee1.gif

Its called Fraud. He may be a muppet & this happens "all the time" in Thailand but that still doesnt justify the crime not stop it from beign fraud.

Indeed, 275k is really nothing. I suppose the woman changed her mind after the wedding night ;-). He may not complain. He certainly does not know much about the Thai culture and how Thai woman can behave.

Dating a woman is always a risk, financial or emotional, which I think both be worse. They married a farang woman before (usual it cost a load of money), so why complain over a sexy woman for some months? Shut up! Find a new lover.

Nope, MY opinion is that this girl is a good one and IF she feel she was in debt, she certainly give it all back. Don't you sweethart?

I don't actually see how he was scammed. She promised to marry him, and she did. OK - only a country wedding, but a wedding and ceremony nonetheless. He promised to give her gifts and money, and he did.

Surely now it's purely a marital disagreement over sex (or lack thereof)?

Both parties fulfilled their obligations - he's even got wedding photos to prove it. Assuming she used her correct name and didn't hide behind a false identity, all seems fine to me. Just another dense Falang that was too eager to put his hand in his wallet without doing due diligence. coffee1.gif

Can't fault the logic of that. Cynics might wonder if the lawyer that she consulted in setting up this caper will recieve a percentage of the loot.

• Like 1

Only 276k?! Shoot, I have had gfs worse than that—and friends in ozi, with the ozi wives!!! (house, car, dog...). But seriously, that sux. Good luck with the cops. Next time try before you buy.

Has to be said, my thoughts too were that he learnt the lesson with relatively little pain.

Let's hope he's not a repeat offender.

If he earns 400k a month, the amount he last is very little for him. He should let the matter go.

What a sucker.

iPhone, iPad, designer handbag.... just throwing material at her for love. Clearly he had no self-worth whatsoever.

Just an Average Frustrated Chump.

400,000 a month though... damn! That would be sweet! That would go soooooooooooooo far in Thailand!

This story fails on so many levels.

"browsed through an online dating site in December 2012" - "On 5 March this year, he arrived at Nong Gung Tub Ma village in Udon Thani" which indicates that even if he "met" her online on 1 Dec 12, it just over 3 months from meeting to "marriage".

Not to mention that she apparently agreed to marry him before that "Once she agreed, Mr. Michel said, he wired her 20,000 baht to buy plane ticket to France, but Ms. Pitchayanun told him he had to attend traditional wedding ceremony in Thailand."

So maybe 3 months (or less) after "meeting" her, he was trying to get her to fly to France but she (unsurprisingly) wanted him to come to Thailand instead, which he managed to do fairly quickly it seems. No doubt upon meeting the "real" Mr. Michel Sebald she had a change of heart but had already made all the "wedding" plans.

And lets see - he arrived in Udon on 5 March and "entered the wedding ceremony attended by hundreds of guests," followed by "After the ceremony, Mr. Michel said, he and Ms. Pitchayanun spent 2 nights at a hotel in the province′s town center." and then "but had to leave Thailand soon afterwards because of his Visa restriction."

(I checked - French citizens get the 30 day VOA so I call BS on that.)

What is pretty clear is that this guy was trying to get a cheap "mail order" bride except that in the world today, it is done online instead of through a catalogue (yes, that used to be how it was done in the days before internet).

He found one that looked suitable and expected her to just hop on a plane, fly to France and screw his brains out (while doing all the cooking, cleaning, etc) and no doubt expected it to be free (as she would undoubtedly be so grateful to be out of her home country and living in France).

When told he had to go to Thailand first, he probably arrived (tired, jet-lagged and irritable) and was right into the "ceremony" (which is not normally a short affair and often involves a lot of drinking). He takes what he thinks will be his Asian love-slave to the hotel where she refuses to have sex with him "claiming that she "did not feel ready" ( I lol'd at that).

Suddenly he has to fly back to France because of his Visa ? Then gets lonely/horny and returns only to find that she's not madly in love with him and panting for his return ?

As for the "ceremony" itself, I'm sure there are plenty of people here that know there are different kinds of ceremonies, some of which (if you didn't have a clue) could lead you to believe they are "wedding" ceremonies when in fact they are more like "betrothals". I experienced that in Petchabun back in '98, and a Thai friend just did a similar ceremony a few months ago (oddly enough, in Petchabun as well) with his "mia noi".

Lots of family/friends, fancy clothes, drinking, eating, dancing, gift-giving, etc. If you don't know the language (and customs) you could easily believe it was a wedding.

The bad news is, no one, anywhere, will learn a single thing from this guy's story.

The laughable thing is, he will probably try the same thing again (but perhaps using the "Philippine Mail Order Love Slave" site instead.

The good news is, there's a broken-hearted woman sitting in a village near Udon, who apparently is willing to marry a foreigner sight unseen (as long as he doesn't want her to travel to a different country or have sex with her). Surely there's a kwaii, er, lonely guy out there somewhere with lots of cash looking for a girl just like that !

• Like 1

Doesn't necessarily look like a scam to me.

Looks like he paid for the wedding and the goods which he lavished on her. She didn't seem to take him for any cash or property. She went through with the marriage ceremony and could have taken him for a lot more if she had hung around.

Perhaps he was too pushy about everything and she got scared off.

Who knows?

Still he can get it back with 3 weeks work. Cheap at the price for a lesson worth learning.

The only descriptive word I can think of for the bloke is.......muppet. coffee1.gif

Edit: I forgot he was French - I think it translates as Muppette

Actually, it translates as "bouffon" or "guignol" in French.

With an income of 400,000B/mth it will only take him about 3 weeks to recoup that money. He got off lightly. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool (to a few) than to speak out (all over the media) and remove all doubt.

That is just wrong!

If more people made a fuss out of being DE FRAUDED maybe something would be done about this. While this guy had it fairly painless there are many a guy fleeced of their lifes works and savings only to end up jumping off buildings and you say better remain silent than look a fool. Your the one that looks the fool for saying that.

Better anyone that gets fleeced presses charges because it dont work in the UK or USA and she would be doing time for that now if she married him for a few years he is STILL ENTITLED to half all marital assets and can at least get something back, but with idiots like you telling people just to remain silent or look a fool no wonder guys dont fight a little more for what is rightfully theirs.

All the guys that I know put up a fight legally have WON its only those that walk away who are the real losers

Edited by bonobo
  • Like 2

He should have gone to a lawyer first to do a Prenuptial Agreement, then he would be rather safe about the money.

Maybe he is just a pervert? Maybe she couldn't take his dirty games in bed the 2 nights them spent together, and just left? lol.

Keep your money tight and give them just what them need, then them will stay forever.

• Like 1

Has to be said, my thoughts too were that he learnt the lesson with relatively little pain.

Let's hope he's not a repeat offender.

Yeah, considering he makes 400k per month, there's not much pain here.

Maybe she just changed her mind?

Exactly, she only met him online then he shows up for the wedding, maybe she did not realize that many French people do not bath or shower regularly and after 2 days could not take the smell! Thais are very sensitive to bad odour!

Please delete this racist comment, this joke is about 70 years old and pretty lame if you want my opinion.

I am a Anglo Saxon so harbouring contempt for the French, collectively at least, came with my genes, but this post goes way too far.

The Entente Cordial is much the same as a husband and wife holding hands. They do it to prevent the other from throttling them.

• Like 1

"he and Ms. Pitchayanun spent 2 nights at a hotel in the province′s town center."

Wonder what he did during those 2 nights that became the Deal Breaker?! He should be happy that he has received a quick resolution to the problem with no long and drawn out emotional crap. wai2.gif

May what he thought was the Arc de Triumphe she thought was the grave of the Unknown Warrior?

• Like 1

I guess she just "forgot" to tell him that actually consummating the marriage carries an extra fee (probably not a flat rate). Welcome to Thailand, Michel! ... I hope he had been before!

I never believed that "I like older farang only..." lie - have you ever seen their (ex-) Thai boyfriends?

Edited by mrdome

with all stories we read on internet today, just cannot understand why there are still farangs who think and believe young thai women 30 or 40 years younger will love them and marry them without even meeting.

have to be really desperate and stupid, that's the price to pay to learn a lesson, it would have been worse

Lots of posters here who forgot that on income, you have to pay taxes, insurance, Rent and other cost of living expenses. Perhaps alimony for his ex wife, too. It's more realistic to think that he was defrauded by 3 to 6 months of savings. So here's my challenge for you posters mouthing off that this is peanuts or that people with income somehow deserve to be robbed of their money:

Please donate a quarter to half of your annual savings to a charity of your choice. Do it this week or while this thread is still running. No need for proof, just follow up on your original comment with the amount and name of charity. Everybody wins and you're not left with your foot in your mouth.

FWIW, the guy was incredibly naive.

• Like 2