French man 'scammed' of 276,000 Baht by Thai bride

webfact

There seems to be two trains of thought here-- Hating on the French guy for being an idiot (which he was) and hating on the Thai girl for leading him on.

Nothing in this story has indicated that the Thai girl knowingly led this guy on looking for personal reward only. People seem to be forgetting that this guy only knew her for 6 months. He seemed incredibly keen to shower gifts upon her and get her to the altar without really getting to know her at all. To be honest- I dont blame her one bit for pulling out of the relationship, he seems a little too keen to have it all wrapped up, give her a quick shag and whisk her off to France at the first opportunity . As for the ceremony- it is no small thing for a Thai girl to do this in front of the whole village. People seem to forget that it is essentially a "face" thing and if her intention was to scam him there are quieter ways to go about it before standing up in front of her family and everybody she knows.

In short- the French guy is a fool and every body knows fools part with their money quite easily. I hope he licks his wounds, gets back on his plane and perhaps tries Russia next time for his quick mail-order trophy wife.

Maybe I am not as cynical as some of you......and somebody please shoot me if I ever am...

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the girl didnt know he was earning 400,000 THB a month. Otherwise she would have stayed put and took him for a Ride... probably adding one more "0" on that amount. If she is reading this news, she might be kicking herself...

On a positive note... The guy was lucky enough to get away with a small amount considering that he asked her to marry him without even seeing each other in person.

Funny how when a guy is dumped by a Thai girl he starts moaning "I was robbed"

This was no scam IMO or she'd have taken him for a lot more than 3 weeks wages.

The idea of marrying a farang and living happily ever after is something many Asian girls dream of.

Here's how I see it right or wrong:-

She was probably quite genuine about the whole idea but at some point thought "<deleted> am I doing.

She's gone ahead with it hoping maybe it will work out but faced with the prospect of him jumping all over her bones every night is beginning to scare the hell out of her.

Her dreams shattered, after 2 night in a hotel reality has really set in and she's thought "No way" "<deleted> this for a game of soldiers"

The guy should think himself lucky she dumped him. A real hustler would have waited 2 houses 2 cars and 5 million baht later before sending him on his merry way.

I think it's worth adding the last 2 paragraphs of the story to this thread...

Recently, Udon Thani also received report concerning another alleged online dating scam. Ms. Ratri Bhodiraj, 39, visited the police on 20 June and told them she was scammed by an American individual she met in online dating site.

According to Ms. Ratri, an American with the name Mr. Jason Smith who lives in California told her he wanted to marry her but she had to wire him 90,200 baht for procedure fee, which she did. The wedding never took place, Ms. Ratri said.

totster smile.png

This "reverse" scam is getting more prevalent here and especially in the Philippines. I had a friend ask me to look at her friend's messages concerning her "American" fiance. This guy was supposedly an American soldier, getting ready to retire. It was pure scam, and obvious scam at that. The scammer was certainly not American, mostly likely African (I am guessing that from the way the English was written.) The sting was for about 90,000 baht, supposedly for some ridiculous licenses for marriage.. Even after I let her know, she would not believe me and was still going to send the money until she had what was essentially a group intervention by her Thai friends.

I dunno know, maybe she really meant to follow through and be married to him. But after spending two nights in the hotel, she left because of irreconcilable differences. The marriage just came up short. whistling.gif

The only descriptive word I can think of for the bloke is.......muppet. coffee1.gif

Edit: I forgot he was French - I think it translates as Muppette

No, it's the same in French. Muppet, except he would be a French muppet, instead of an English, American, Australian muppet. Seems like there are muppets everywhere, but not a single muppette can be found.

• Like 1

This is a scam by any definition. Posts like those from Gsxrnz and DreamRider are vacuous. There was clearly the intention to deceive and profit as most Farrangs living in Thailand are well aware. The fact that Thais are reluctance to close the legal "loopholes" that enable this unethical practice between Thai/non-Thai marriages only points to their tacit contempt for the men and morality of the west. Such behavior between Thai/Thai marriages would not be tolerated and result in shame and loss of face. And while "cool" farrangs like Gsxrnz and DreamRider pride themselves as "insiders", rationalizing what is clearly the intent to defraud is unequivocally reprehensible. This is another 'black-eye' for Thai culture and the Thai Visa is to be commended for reporting it. It's equally important to read the comments of those who have fallen into the black hole of immorality, as it adds new dimensions to the damage this practice engenders.

Lots of posters here who forgot that on income, you have to pay taxes, insurance, Rent and other cost of living expenses. Perhaps alimony for his ex wife, too. It's more realistic to think that he was defrauded by 3 to 6 months of savings. So here's my challenge for you posters mouthing off that this is peanuts or that people with income somehow deserve to be robbed of their money:

Please donate a quarter to half of your annual savings to a charity of your choice. Do it this week or while this thread is still running. No need for proof, just follow up on your original comment with the amount and name of charity. Everybody wins and you're not left with your foot in your mouth.

FWIW, the guy was incredibly naive.

By the way, it is stated in the full story the following:

As for the money, he said if it has been recovered he would spend it on charity.

So, he's not stingy (contrary to what a few other persons wrote earlier), but I guess that it is more a matter of principle for this guy.

The only descriptive word I can think of for the bloke is.......muppet. coffee1.gif

Edit: I forgot he was French - I think it translates as Muppette

No, it's the same in French. Muppet, except he would be a French muppet, instead of an English, American, Australian muppet. Seems like there are muppets everywhere, but not a single muppette can be found.

No, "muppet" is not a French word. It translates as "bouffon" or "guignol" in French. However, in France, most people know the English word "muppet" because of "The Muppet Show" (the famous comedy television series), which has been broadcasted for many years with its original name there too.

Recently, Udon Thani also received report concerning another alleged online dating scam. Ms. Ratri Bhodiraj, 39, visited the police on 20 June and told them she was scammed by an American individual she met in online dating site.

According to Ms. Ratri, an American with the name Mr. Jason Smith who lives in California told her he wanted to marry her but she had to wire him 90,200 baht for procedure fee, which she did. The wedding never took place, Ms. Ratri said.

totster smile.png

Yes was interesting that the Khao Sod story was happy to show a tit-for-tat comparison - are we to gain inference that Farang do it to Thai so its ok for Thai to do it? its criminal fraud either way dudes... 2 wrongs done't make it right on either side. w00t.gif

Can someone introduce Mr. Sebald and Ms Ratri?

totster smile.png

Would not sell. Farongs believe they are honest and don't want to hear about their side of the story.

Besides this guy got conned out of about 70% of his monthly salary a Boo ho ho. Wheat a terrible strain on his finances.

How do you get to be 60 years old and fall in to love with some one you have never met. More like lonely old man desperate for companionship and not realizing it.

Edit

How do we know that he did not misrepresent himself to her?

Edited by hellodolly

This is a scam by any definition. Posts like those from Gsxrnz and DreamRider are vacuous. There was clearly the intention to deceive and profit as most Farrangs living in Thailand are well aware. The fact that Thais are reluctance to close the legal "loopholes" that enable this unethical practice between Thai/non-Thai marriages only points to their tacit contempt for the men and morality of the west. Such behavior between Thai/Thai marriages would not be tolerated and result in shame and loss of face. And while "cool" farrangs like Gsxrnz and DreamRider pride themselves as "insiders", rationalizing what is clearly the intent to defraud is unequivocally reprehensible. This is another 'black-eye' for Thai culture and the Thai Visa is to be commended for reporting it. It's equally important to read the comments of those who have fallen into the black hole of immorality, as it adds new dimensions to the damage this practice engenders.

You didn't read the whole article did you just the part that you like. It is a two way street.

I do not have the inside tract that you seem to have so I can not say that he didn't misrepresent himself in his postings to her.

i guess that amount was what she owned to someone, maybe her bank, credit card company, ...

anyway, the sod earns 400k baht per month, so if he had some fun, still only about half of his montly salary

met in december 2012 and wanted to marry right away

• Like 1

totster Posted Image

Would not sell. Farongs believe they are honest and don't want to hear about their side of the story.

Besides this guy got conned out of about 70% of his monthly salary a Boo ho ho. Wheat a terrible strain on his finances.

How do you get to be 60 years old and fall in to love with some one you have never met. More like lonely old man desperate for companionship and not realizing it.

Edit

How do we know that he did not misrepresent himself to her?

I'm sure that have an intimate knowledge of lonely desperate old men with more time on their hands and craving companionship. with real people not on line

• Like 1

Maybe the hard bitch refused sex because she hasn't finished the sex change yet?

Still proposed after only 4 monthsas ePen Pal Electronique.

Mooop eeeete, vrai Moooop eeeete

PT Barnum meets Moore's Law.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

This is not worthy of news..

It goes on all over the world with all kinds of different nationalities involved.

It is used here as an excuse by some to Thai bash. I have noticed they don't talk about the Thai lady who got conned by the guy in California.

It would seem that loneliness engenders stupidity on both sides of the fence.sad.png

• Like 1

Got a friend of mine whose girlfriend continuously scams him and works in the bar as soon as his back is turned. He's kicked her out countless times and yet he's just announced he's buying a 30 million baht villa that will go in her name.

What is it with Thailand? How can a guy walk in and be fleeced so easily. With all the horror stories you might think that foreign men might approach Thai girls in the manner in which they should be treated; that is drag it out of the bar, used it, pay it and kick it out.

How does a Thai girl spell LOVE? M.O.N.E.Y

Believe it's not about the money he spend it's should be the trust and believe that the lady given to him that made him to file the case.Normally this kind of cases will remain unsolved cuz even the court stand for him he also wun get back a single cents. Farang been cheated by Thai gals is normal in the land of smile

Boo Hoo. It's not even three weeks pay for him. What an arrogant fool! cheesy.gif He thought he could buy himself a bride half his age and didn't even bother to meet her before the wedding. Now he thinks people will feel sorry for him. Maybe he didn't tell the truth online either, or she didn't like the way he looked in person. neus.gif

I don't actually see how he was scammed. She promised to marry him, and she did. OK - only a country wedding, but a wedding and ceremony nonetheless. He promised to give her gifts and money, and he did.

Surely now it's purely a marital disagreement over sex (or lack thereof)?

Both parties fulfilled their obligations - he's even got wedding photos to prove it. Assuming she used her correct name and didn't hide behind a false identity, all seems fine to me. Just another dense Falang that was too eager to put his hand in his wallet without doing due diligence. coffee1.gif

Its called Fraud. He may be a muppet & this happens "all the time" in Thailand but that still doesnt justify the crime not stop it from beign fraud.

You don't know that it's fraud. Maybe he lied too, or she walked after something nasty happened during those two nights together. The guy wanted to buy another human being and he got what he deserved. At a bargain basement price too.