French man 'scammed' of 276,000 Baht by Thai bride

webfact

What happened after the 2 nights in the City Hotel ? This lady won't want to lose face with her family and guests at the wedding so easily I would think.

I think there's more to the story. Ok the Frenchie has been naive but did he follow up on the marriage himself? Have I missed something here.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't actually see how he was scammed. She promised to marry him, and she did. OK - only a country wedding, but a wedding and ceremony nonetheless. He promised to give her gifts and money, and he did.

Surely now it's purely a marital disagreement over sex (or lack thereof)?

Both parties fulfilled their obligations - he's even got wedding photos to prove it. Assuming she used her correct name and didn't hide behind a false identity, all seems fine to me. Just another dense Falang that was too eager to put his hand in his wallet without doing due diligence. coffee1.gif

I agree...everyone seems to have assumed it has been a scam....maybe after 2 nights with him in a Hotel was enough to realise she couldn't live with him. Most of the money involved would have been spent on the ceremony ( about half of one months income for him ).. She really hasn't taken much from him at all.

Agree. No Sin Sod. No house for mommy and daddy. 276K is a small price to pay for a life lesson.

Everyone coming to Thailand for the first time is a relatively easy mark. You can read the books but you don,t really learn until you yourself do it the hard way, and a relatively inexpensive lesson for the frenchman. A national scam, and not worth pursuing for such a small amount of irretrievable cash. One can become cynical to an unhealthy level, but in order to survive here there is no other way. The only sure value in this country is the "above the bar" short time, good value and serves the purpose :)

• Like 1

I think it's worth adding the last 2 paragraphs of the story to this thread...

Recently, Udon Thani also received report concerning another alleged online dating scam. Ms. Ratri Bhodiraj, 39, visited the police on 20 June and told them she was scammed by an American individual she met in online dating site.

According to Ms. Ratri, an American with the name Mr. Jason Smith who lives in California told her he wanted to marry her but she had to wire him 90,200 baht for procedure fee, which she did. The wedding never took place, Ms. Ratri said.

totster smile.png

Yes was interesting that the Khao Sod story was happy to show a tit-for-tat comparison - are we to gain inference that Farang do it to Thai so its ok for Thai to do it? its criminal fraud either way dudes... 2 wrongs done't make it right on either side. w00t.gif

It is the way in Thailand I married 4 yrs ago in the government office in Khon Kaen and had a village wedding also, Mum wanted a dowry to show the neighbours I gave it on the understanding I got it back next day, my wife promised that and guess what, I got it all back. I am one of the lucky ones and we have a very happy life together 6 yrs together now. Kiwi Kenny.

Never met her in person but married her? Would you marry someone in your own country without meeting them first? I donot understand what Thailand does to a perfectly intelligent man that makes him want to marry a woman he has never met in person.

i would never buy a car without test driving it and looking under the hood, gotta chek out the engine bay

• Like 1

I don't actually see how he was scammed. She promised to marry him, and she did. OK - only a country wedding, but a wedding and ceremony nonetheless. He promised to give her gifts and money, and he did.

Both parties fulfilled their obligations - he's even got wedding photos to prove it. Assuming she used her correct name and didn't hide behind a false identity, all seems fine to me. Just another dense Falang that was too eager to put his hand in his wallet without doing due diligence. :coffee1:

Its called Fraud. He may be a muppet & this happens "all the time" in Thailand but that still doesnt justify the crime not stop it from beign fraud.

Yes, it was fraud, Sounds like she had bad intentions from the get go. But, it was still his fault. He behaved improperly. You do not get married on the Internet. You use the Internet to get to know someone, then you spend time together. He fell into her trap. I cannot feel much pity for him. He behaved like a fool, and got treated like one. Getting the police involved? For what? What are they gonna do? I this was another country, and the police were real police they probably could not do anything. But here? Is he serious?

This time I'm on the gal's side. As GSrnz posted , both sides lived up to their promises. The lady no doubt realised during the courtship she had a real live one on the line but when she reeled him in and had a good look at him she quickly threw him back as inedible. Both can move on: she to fry bigger fish and he to go from being a f--kwit to just being a dimwit.

This man is lucky he got of so lightly ! Many men build beautiful houses , set up businesses . I met one man who had spent 17million baht and was then told to get out ; a close friend of mine has been robbed of 5million baht by his wife . I had even warned him a his wedding reception , that he was about to be taken to the cleaners , but he couldn't see it and meakly said he loved her . I have to say NOT ALL Thai women are like his woman , but a great many are . You have to learn to say no in Thailand , it is better to live here for a while before getting too involved with one woman , there's a lot to be said for pay as you go . My wife and I corresponded for a year before I came to Thailand to meet her , I invited her to stay with me in Italy , we lived together on and off for two years before getting married . We had no Thai wedding , displaying gold and counting out the money , we just went by ourselves to a local Amphur , filled in and signed all the forms and came away with two certificates .

This is a scam by any definition. Posts like those from Gsxrnz and DreamRider are vacuous. There was clearly the intention to deceive and profit as most Farrangs living in Thailand are well aware. The fact that Thais are reluctance to close the legal "loopholes" that enable this unethical practice between Thai/non-Thai marriages only points to their tacit contempt for the men and morality of the west. Such behavior between Thai/Thai marriages would not be tolerated and result in shame and loss of face. And while "cool" farrangs like Gsxrnz and DreamRider pride themselves as "insiders", rationalizing what is clearly the intent to defraud is unequivocally reprehensible. This is another 'black-eye' for Thai culture and the Thai Visa is to be commended for reporting it. It's equally important to read the comments of those who have fallen into the black hole of immorality, as it adds new dimensions to the damage this practice engenders.

So you're assuming that the French guy told the truth about everything.cheesy.gif Do you really have to be an insider to realize it just's plain stupid and arrogant to try to buy another person? Do you think that because he bought her lots of gifts that she should have to submit to whatever he dishes out? Maybe something happened in those two nights together. If she were planning a scam from the start, why would she involve everyone she knew in a wedding? Wouldn't she want cash up front instead?

This is a chronic problem in Thailand today between Thai/Foreigner marriages if you are still unaware. The marriage "dowry's" use and function are of doubtful value today with modern and national and laws regarding marital rights and asset ownership laws. In a foreigner/Thai context there is a clear and well-document pattern of abuse. And that is the point. There will always be exceptions but the fact is there is sufficient fraud to advocate change and escalate the issue up the political chain of command. Thais currently just turn the other way when the victim is a middle-aged european or american male. If you are a male falang it's hard to believe that you could still be naive to the deceptions Thai women are notoriously famous for, and with good reason as this story alludes. You can play the 'devils advocate', but that's a rather foolish choice as your wallet is likely their next target.

What's the plan? Some sort of arbitration process where love-sick falangs get their money back and evil Thai women are pilloried? Won't work. You can't legislate common sense, my friend.

Usually the people who call me naive are falangs who have never been to Thailand who say that Thai women respect older men and won't take half the house like western women (true, they get the entire house). cheesy.gif This guy got off lucky.

Of course there are heaps of Thai women that take advantage of rich male falangs that to want to buy a sex slave essentially. Can you blame them? Do you think a gorgeous young woman really wants to be with a guy old enough to be her dad who doesn't even speak her language? All I'm saying is that in this case it's possible there was buyer's remorse on the part of the woman rather than fraud. Or maybe a bit of both. I'd have to hear her side of the story before I made up my mind. That makes me foolish and naive? Really?

And my wallet's safe. I'm not a male falang.

Nearly every civilized country in the world has enacted laws addressing personal contracts on these types of issues. We call them "torts" in the west. Tort law is all about codifying what we can and can't do in a social setting. If we could live on "common sense" alone there would no need for judges, juries, courts or police. And once again the issue is the whether there is a pattern of abuse and, if so, what to do about. It's obviously not meaningful to you but in defense of those legitimately defrauded, there is ample justification in seeking tort reform in Thailand.

Really I guess he should just divorce or a anullment on grounds on un-consummation of the marriage which in this Kingdom I have no idea if it is apart of the culture, relegion or the law. In which case they should do the right and hand over the dowry (fat chance) and everyone goes on their merry way.. Him bitter and twisted, her not such a fan of frenchmen than jokes about them.

Ahh in a perfect world

Our tractor driver wants to marry a English lady and get her to send him 20,000 baht a month to stay home, says he hears many stories of Thai ladies receiving money for nothing that he wants in on the actionbiggrin.png maybe the French man being stung by a Thai bride might want to switchwink.png Pm for contact details.tongue.png

Strictly speaking I do not see a con.

He gave her presents. Non returnable.

He paid sinsod (dowry).

There was a ceremony. She married him.

The marriage was fair dinkum - two nights in a hotel.

He didn't perform. She dumps him. Fair and square.

The money isn't excessive, only 276,000 Bt.

The real problem is - Guy sees only money, not the whole deal.

He had perhaps the best experience of his life.

Time to go home and build it into his projects.

Brag with other 60 year old friends.

But he is stupid. That is the real problem.

I say - if you didn't get it at birth, you can't buy it at a chemist shop.

wai2.gifbiggrin.pngfacepalm.gif

• Like 1

Both parties fulfilled their obligations - he's even got wedding photos to prove it. Assuming she used her correct name and didn't hide behind a false identity, all seems fine to me. Just another dense Falang that was too eager to put his hand in his wallet without doing due diligence. coffee1.gif

He only lost 3 weeks salary . Not much . Move on ..coffee1.gif

He only lost 3 weeks salary . Not much . Move on ..coffee1.gif

204 posts and I think we are all of the same opinion; he is a chump (the most polite noun I could think of!!), there was no scam .. she asked, he gave, she took!! It was a beautiful scenario.

I wonder how long it took for the police to get up from rolling around the floor in laughter

• Like 1

What a sucker.

iPhone, iPad, designer handbag.... just throwing material at her for love. Clearly he had no self-worth whatsoever.

Just an Average Frustrated Chump.

400,000 a month though... dam_n! That would be sweet! That would go soooooooooooooo far in Thailand!

cheesy.gif Any clown that needs to use this dumb article to pump himself up as you just have can tell us all about chumps. biggrin.png You be busted boy.tongue.png

I think it's worth adding the last 2 paragraphs of the story to this thread...

Recently, Udon Thani also received report concerning another alleged online dating scam. Ms. Ratri Bhodiraj, 39, visited the police on 20 June and told them she was scammed by an American individual she met in online dating site.

According to Ms. Ratri, an American with the name Mr. Jason Smith who lives in California told her he wanted to marry her but she had to wire him 90,200 baht for procedure fee, which she did. The wedding never took place, Ms. Ratri said.

totster smile.png

Well, you never hear these sides of the story.. wonder if much of this goes on?

How stupid can anyone be? Typical Story from a man who´s hormones took over from his brain,Did he really believe she loved him only from 4 months online correspondence? Not to mention he could trust her oe anyone else you know after 4 months Skype.

I feel terribly sorry for the chap. I think the worst, by far, is the emotional impact on him. His heart's been broken and the cost, frankly, is more of a lesson than anything. Hopefully next time, you'll be extra careful my friend.

If it's any consolation, I've spent more than that on girls here, over a period of time. The lady I really love is a true gem, she'd rather give to me than take, but how rare that kind of lady is, I frankly don't know anymore. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best mate.

Have to agree with the earlier posts, this one was definitely a ladyboy. Look at the size of those clubs covering up the Adams apple in the pic….

Reckon he had a lucky escape either way, marriage aint cheap! Divorce is extortionate (so I been told), lucky she didn’t play the long game or she could have properly rinsed him!

That aside what a muppet!