where to buy good coffee beans

sirbrinkie

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried Doi Yao on Theppasit. Grows his own coffee in Chiang Rai.

From Thaphraya its about 1.5km up on the right.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

• Like 1

Do you mean Italian roast or actual beans. I don't think Italy is known for growing coffee beans. The Aroma brand beans sold at Foodland have an Italian roast. I have also seen said roast at Starbucks. I have also seen whole bean Italian roast by Illy and Lavazza at the farang supermarkets in town.

Many people also like Benjamit Coffee for their beans but don't know if they have an Italian roast...would Thai do?

No such thing as Italian beans. Coffee is normally grown at high elevations in tropical climates. If you are interested in a high quality coffee, freshly roasted, and delivered to your door, see the attachment.

The danger of buying beans from a shop is that beans should typically be consumed within ten days of roasting when stored at room temperature, and a shop's beans are often much older than that; there is no way to know. I am not in Pattaya and have never been to Benamit, but since they roast their own, they might be a good bet for a walk-in purchase. I would ask them when they roast and show up to buy the beans still hot out of the roaster.

Purchase and Store Coffee in Thailand.pdf

Edited by Ticketmaster
  • Like 1

No such thing as Italian beans. Coffee is normally grown at high elevations in tropical climates. If you are interested in a high quality coffee, freshly roasted, and delivered to your door, see the attachment.

The danger of buying beans from a shop is that beans should typically be consumed within ten days of roasting when stored at room temperature, and a shop's beans are often much older than that; there is no way to know. I am not in Pattaya and have never been to Benamit, but since they roast their own, they might be a good bet for a walk-in purchase. I would ask them when they roast and show up to buy the beans still hot out of the roaster.

Excellent information TM, I wanted to find out more info on coffee, so did a Barista course recently and I bring back beans freshly roasted from my trips to Vietnam and Cambodia. So very Interested in your info.

Many of the commercial brands pack their beans in vacuum bags. I'm sure it's not perfect but even when they're rather old, you can smell they are preserved somewhat at least. Then when exposed to air, of course, use them ASAP.

I have about a pound an a half of Hawaiian Coffee Beans... Dark Roast. My friend brought them to me about a week ago. I have had to stop drinking coffee because the acid bothers my stomach.

Make me an offer.

Many of the commercial brands pack their beans in vacuum bags. I'm sure it's not perfect but even when they're rather old, you can smell they are preserved somewhat at least. Then when exposed to air, of course, use them ASAP.

Coffee beans begin their demise the minute they come out of the roaster. A sealed Mylar bag helps, of course, but not much. Most of these bags are NOT vacuum sealed and there is air in the bag. It is the process of oxidation that lowers the quality of the bean. the Mylar will keep out moisture, which is important, but it will NOT prevent the degradation fo the bean from oxidation.

The bottom line is, if you want good coffee, it is stupid to gamble with the risk of old coffee from a store shelf -- especially when right out of the roaster options are available.

Coffee beans begin their demise the minute they come out of the roaster. A sealed Mylar bag helps, of course, but not much. Most of these bags are NOT vacuum sealed and there is air in the bag. It is the process of oxidation that lowers the quality of the bean. the Mylar will keep out moisture, which is important, but it will NOT prevent the degradation fo the bean from oxidation.

The bottom line is, if you want good coffee, it is stupid to gamble with the risk of old coffee from a store shelf -- especially when right out of the roaster options are available.

I quite agree with your last sentence provided that fresh roast is available. On the other hand, the so called fresh roasts that I used to buy weren't a match to Boncafe's sealed bag roasts.

Once the beans are in the hopper of the grinder, deterioration is more rapid. Once they are ground and left below the hopper the rate of deterioration increases further. The first coffee of the day is markedly different from the next for this reason. This is the mistake made by many coffee shops where the staff, not properly trained in the ways of a barista, grind a day are twos worth of beans in one go. Added to that, they don't tamp the ground beans properly either.

There is a coffee exhibition at the Royal Shopping Mall 3-7 july

Where is the Royal Shopping mall? Have they built a new mall while I slept last nite of n I g h twhich I'm unawares.

If I buy a bag of fresh roasted coffee beans it probably takes me about a month to use it all so how is this any different to what jingthing said about vacuum sealed coffee?

I would like to try this Benjamit coffee you guys talk about but I'm confused to its location. Does bukhaow market back onto Pattaya tai? (Not "dai I suspect was a typo)?

I see the picture but don't recognize the place.

Do you mean it would be across from tukcom but then East of Bukhaow on Pattaya Tai?

Thanks.

If I buy a bag of fresh roasted coffee beans it probably takes me about a month to use it all so how is this any different to what jingthing said about vacuum sealed coffee?

I would like to try this Benjamit coffee you guys talk about but I'm confused to its location. Does bukhaow market back onto Pattaya tai? (Not "dai I suspect was a typo)?

I see the picture but don't recognize the place.

Do you mean it would be across from tukcom but then East of Bukhaow on Pattaya Tai?

Thanks.

Zoom in:

http://www.benjamitcoffee.com/contact.html

Edited by Jingthing