where to buy good coffee beans

sirbrinkie

Can someone ask the Benjamit people if they house roast the beans for ALL their bean choices? (Because I don't think they do.)

Yes, they roast all beans.

If you say so.

They say so, I've asked before. Why would they import roasted beans?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone ask the Benjamit people if they house roast the beans for ALL their bean choices? (Because I don't think they do.)

Yes, they roast all beans.

If you say so.

They say so, I've asked before. Why would they import roasted beans?

Most stores do. The text on their website is rather ambiguous as well. It says they roast their Thai beans and also their special blend. It doesn't claim all their imported beans. But I appreciate that you asked and posted their response.

Also, I reckon the vast majority of their trade is selling coffee DRINKS, not beans, yes made from their in house roasted Thai coffee beans.

Edited by Jingthing

What is regular price in Thailand of 1 kg arabica?

Best coffee I ever drink in my life in Thailand is at the coffee mania in Pattaya have 2 branch

Can also buy vaacum bags from northern Thailand , have friends in my homecountry with restaurants and coffee machines of 10000 euro and after he tried coffee mania he say cannot reach this quality!

Number 2 in my quality check Bon coffee

Number 3 doi Chang in central Pattaya but serve to hot!

Number 4 Starbucks but to expensive!

Not deliciouses amazon coffee

Taste very bitter same then coffee world!

Segredo from italy was the most miserable. Coffee I ever drink!

What is regular price in Thailand of 1 kg arabica?

Best coffee I ever drink in my life in Thailand is at the coffee mania in Pattaya have 2 branch

Can also buy vaacum bags from northern Thailand , have friends in my homecountry with restaurants and coffee machines of 10000 euro and after he tried coffee mania he say cannot reach this quality!

Not deliciouses amazon coffee

Taste very bitter same then coffee world!

Segredo from italy was the most miserable. Coffee I ever drink!

The problem with Amazon, Coffee World and some others is that they don't do the job properly at the point of sale. Too much coffee is ground in one session and they don't apply enough pressure when they tamp down the grounds. They don't froth the milk correctly either.

Coffee Mania?

Locations please.

For beans at home I have been using Boncafe Mocca.

Nothing great but adequate.

Coffee Mania. Nice little coffee house.

I have always noticed a small crowd there when purchasing sandwiches.

Must be doing something right.

On the road to Naklua, a couple hundred meters up from the Dolphin statue roundabout.

I've checked your list and will try your No.1 and No. 2, but what worries me is that your Nos. 3 & 4 are, in my opinion, not worth mentioning, let alone drinking.

Starbucks use a dark roast coffee bean of questionable quality. This together with their slap happy roasting technique produces coffee with bitterness and virtually no flavour.

McDonalds coffee rates higher than Starbucks, and their coffee is also not worth drinking.

Have you tried Benjamit cofee? If so, how do you rate it in conjunction with your above list?

Coffee Mania?

Locations please.

On the road to Naklua, a couple hundred meters up from the Dolphin statue roundabout.

Do you mean on 2nd road south of the Dolphin or on Naklua road north of the Dolphin?

Coffee Mania?

Locations please.

Do you mean on 2nd road south of the Dolphin or on Naklua road north of the Dolphin?

I am wondering the same thing? Not very good directions but he is trying.

Coffee Mania?

Locations please.

I am wondering the same thing? Not very good directions but he is trying.

Let me put it this way.

If you head to Naklua from the Dolphin it will be a couple hundred meters on the left.

Let me put it this way.

If you head to Naklua from the Dolphin it will be a couple hundred meters on the left.

Naklua starts just north of the Dolphin.

OK, here it is:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&pc=FACEBK&mid=8100&rtp=adr.~pos.12.953040522219_100.88884915895_Coffee+Mania+Pattaya_Pattaya&cp=12.953040522219~100.88884915895&lvl=16&sty=r&rtop=0~0~0~&mode=D&FORM=FBKPL2&mkt=en-US

Is that their only location in the Pattaya area?

Edited by Jingthing

• 1 month later...

I'm revisiting this thread to sum up a couple of coffee outlet recommendations made by other posters.

I recently returned to Pattaya and did get to visit a few other outlets, other than my all time favourite, Benjamit.

I set out walking from the Dolphin roundabout towards Naklua, hoping to find Coffee Mania somewhere on my left. I either walked right past it without realising or it just wasn't there. Needless to say, I didn't find it.

I continued walking until I reached Bon Coffee, the No.2 recommendation from Sandman77.

From the outside it looked good. From the inside it looked great.

I took a few pics of the premises.

post-4042-0-95069000-1377080074_thumb.jppost-4042-0-89183500-1377080054_thumb.jppost-4042-0-73832800-1377080019_thumb.jppost-4042-0-41231000-1377080788_thumb.jp

Very clean, nice air-conditioning, comfortable setting.

This outlet also sell some very nice looking coffee machines and grinders. Well worth a look if you want to inspect a good variety of machines.

post-4042-0-67792400-1377080261_thumb.jppost-4042-0-91898600-1377080287_thumb.jppost-4042-0-00240200-1377080335_thumb.jp

They also sell their own brand of roasted coffee beans.

But of course I went there to try their coffee and I ordered a latte.

post-4042-0-72459500-1377080415_thumb.jp

It was served in the traditional way. No latte art.

Right away, by just looking at it, I knew it would not get much praise from me. When I tasted it, it was far too weak for my liking. The coffee was just warm so it was pointless trying to stretch my time in this comfortable lounge setting by sipping on the coffee. I drank it down. There was no lingering coffee taste in my mouth.

A huge disappointment.....and a long walk back to my hotel in central Pattaya.

I still can't find an outlet that comes close to Benjamit.

See my next post.

Benjamit informed me that they house roast ALL their beans, not only their Thai sourced beans.

I bought some of their premium house blend (Thai beans) and the roasting date on the package was VERY RECENT.

However, when I opened it to smell it (the same day), sorry, the classic smell of freshly roasted coffee wasn't there.

Compare to Boncafe in their special bags, even if roasted months ago, it has that smell when you open it.

Oddly, I still liked the flavor of the Benjamit beans but I don't understand why no roasted smell.

Edited by Jingthing

I did try some other outlets, but all aren't worth mentioning.

I always found my way back to Benjamit where I have yet to be disappointed.

Some pics of these visits.

post-4042-0-43553200-1377081341_thumb.jppost-4042-0-00899600-1377081388_thumb.jp

The premises are very basic, no air-conditioning, seating is OK but not great.

Once again, I ordered a latte.

post-4042-0-93396300-1377081466_thumb.jppost-4042-0-98878400-1377081485_thumb.jp

The colour of their coffee is rich and dark. You just want to dive straight in. Just by looking at the coffee, you know it will be full flavoured.

They serve it at the right temperature but I usually ask them to serve it a little hotter than they normally would. They willingly oblige.

I have never had a better coffee anywhere. I suspect that they serve a double ristretto with every cup to ensure a full coffee taste. Only good baristas, who care about the coffee they serve, will do this.

I also purchased a variety of their whole roasted coffee beans, which I brought home with me to Australia.

I am currently drinking their premium blend made on my espresso coffee maker. Cost was 250 baht per 250 grams.

In the shop they serve their own Benjamit blend. I bought 250 grams of this blend for 200 baht.

post-4042-0-60946400-1377082341_thumb.jp

Both had come out of their roaster two days prior. I'm told that they roast beans twice every week.

post-4042-0-28812700-1377082290_thumb.jp

Once again I recommend this outlet to serious coffee lovers.

post-4042-0-33336900-1377082436_thumb.jp

Benjamit informed me that they house roast ALL their beans, not only their Thai sourced beans.

I bought some of their premium house blend (Thai beans) and the roasting date on the package was VERY RECENT.

However, when I opened it to smell it (the same day), sorry, the classic smell of freshly roasted coffee wasn't there.

Compare to Boncafe in their special bags, even if roasted months ago, it has that smell when you open it.

Oddly, I still liked the flavor of the Benjamit beans but I don't understand why no roasted smell.

Never been to Benjamit in the iniquitous Pattaya. I just use the delicious and fresh roasted Landoy beans I get by mail. Whenever I open a new sack the intoxicating coffee aroma comes pouring out and permeates the room. The family gathers around for a sniff like a bunch of juvenile delinquents trying to get their noses in a glue sack.

Coffee without aroma is like a rose with no scent.

• Like 1

Never been to Benjamit in the iniquitous Pattaya. I just use the delicious and fresh roasted Landoy beans I get by mail. Whenever I open a new sack the intoxicating coffee aroma comes pouring out and permeates the room. The family gathers around for a sniff like a bunch of juvenile delinquents trying to get their noses in a glue sack.

Have to agree with JT, tried the 'premium blend' first then another one(cannot remember name) and now trying the 'Thai Arabica' all the same, no smell when you open the pack even though they have been roasted within the past week, weird. As taste goes, 'not my cup of tea' so to speak! Triedd one from Foodland that was recommended, which I ended up binning, as it was crap. Oh well keep looking!

Have to agree with JT, tried the 'premium blend' first then another one(cannot remember name) and now trying the 'Thai Arabica' all the same, no smell when you open the pack even though they have been roasted within the past week, weird. As taste goes, 'not my cup of tea' so to speak! Triedd one from Foodland that was recommended, which I ended up binning, as it was crap. Oh well keep looking!

Try the Landoy. I've been pleased as punch with it. Been drinking it over two years now. Always fresh, aromatic and consistent. I would say that it is about as good as any coffee I have ever had, though I have been here so long, I may have forgotten. But it is very delicious coffee.

• 1 month later...

Benamit Coffee Shop on Soi Bhukhao market - backs onto Pattaya Dai. Roasts on site.

benjamitcoffee.com

Well, call me a skeptic... I read through your coffee pdf and I reckon most of the differences you notice are in your head.

I feel your fanaticism is getting in the way of reality.

It would be interesting to do a taste test.,.. for example.. you say that coffee beans ground with a blade makes a cup which "tastes like shit" (your words). I'd brew one batch made from your special grinder and one done with a blade and see if you can taste the difference.... of course we'd have to do multiple tests to ensure the result isn't down to chance.....

Also do some taste tests with straight-out-of-the-bag coffee beans compared to beans left in a jar for 10 days, 20 days etc

I reckon you'd be hard pressed to tell the differences.

I've stopped buying whole beans because to me they don't taste any better than vacuum packed ground coffee and it's not worth the extra effort.

Edited by tropo

Benamit Coffee Shop on Soi Bhukhao market - backs onto Pattaya Dai. Roasts on site.

benjamitcoffee.com

Well, call me a skeptic... I read through your coffee pdf and I reckon most of the differences you notice are in your head.

It would be interesting to do a taste test.,.. for example.. you say that coffee beans ground with a blade makes a cup which "tastes like shit" (your words). I'd brew one batch made from your special grinder and one done with a blade and see if you can taste the difference.... of course we'd have to do multiple tests to ensure the result isn't down to chance.....

Also do some taste tests with straight-out-of-the-bag coffee beans compared to beans left in a jar for 10 days, 20 days etc

I've stopped buying whole beans because to me they don't taste any better than vacuum packed ground coffee and it's not worth the extra effort.

Rather than get all tangled up in such a challenge, I simply demur, with the observation that some people's palates are better developed than others. However, I am quite sure that there are some coffee connoisseurs on TV that would be quite willing to take on your challenge. Stale beans, indeed!

, I simply demur, with the observation that some people's palates are better developed than others.

That's merely a belief to fit your theory. Someone doesn't agree, so it must be because you're more developed... in true food snob tradition.

I enjoy my coffee just as much as you do, but I can have that experience by picking up some vacuum sealed ground (arabica) coffee at the local supermarket. You'll have to agree my palate makes life a lot easier.smile.png

You never fail to amaze me as to how little you know about the importance of a top notch coffee grinder and fresh coffee beans. The espresso machine comes in third place.

Premium coffee outlets fine tune their grinder to find a setting that will produce the best coffee grind. You can't get an exact, consistent, even grind with a blade. The grind is most important as when the coffee machine forces water into the portafilter (which is filled with fresh coffee grinds) the pour into your cup ensures the maximum extraction from the beans.

An perfect, even grind results in the hot water being forced through the whole of the grind, not just the path of least resistance, as would be the case with an uneven grind.

A good barista knows exactly when to stop the pour, so that your cup is getting a rich, full flavoured coffee extraction before the pour turns to mainly a water flow.

There is no flavour in water, even for your faulty taste buds.

You wrote:

When you have a top notch grinder, set to a perfect setting, you can easily pick the difference between fresh and stale beans. Fresh, ground coffee beans offer maximum resistance to the water flow from the espresso machine. Maximum resistance results in a longer flow with a richer extraction, as opposed to stale beans that have, or are quickly losing their flavour as they become dry and offering little to no resistance to the water flow.

All of the above relates mainly to espresso coffee machines, as found in Benjamit. It does not apply to a french press, a drip filter or the like. If those are your home choice for making coffee, they will be good enough with stale, no-name, supermarket bought coffee beans. Instant coffee is only a short step behind.

You reckon you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Before you taste any fresh bean coffee from a coffee outlet, you can tell whether or not it will be full flavoured just by looking at it. The richness and evenness of the colour will suggest to you that this will be a good coffee. The taste test will confirm.

If you can't pick any difference in various coffees, why not just drink instant coffee for the taste alone. Why bother buying vacuum packed ground coffee if your taste buds can't pick the difference? A jar of Nescafe will suffice. Whilst you might enjoy drinking coffee your way, others expect more. There is no point in ridiculing others just because their taste buds for quality coffee are more fine tuned than yours.

• Like 1

If you like a dark espresso roast you can try Saladaeng at Pattaya Floating Market. They are roasting the beans at the floating market so they are very fresh, can buy beans or ground to your spec.

At the floating market just drive in at the south end of the market about 100m and Saladaeng is just there.

post-184436-0-00481700-1380094295_thumb.

Ok I have just been there , Benjamit is only a 2 minute walk from Friendship .

And I have to say this was a very positive surprise . I have been to many coffee shops but this is the best coffee I have tasted in Thailand.

I tried the Latte and Cafe Mocha , strong flavour and the taste is better with fresh-ground beans.

I will be back.

You must be talking about the actual beans and not after grinding.

You must be talking about the actual beans and not after grinding.

What's your point? Whole "actual" beans have a very rich smell if freshly roasted.