Nine Phuket students given anesthesia after suffering from Khao Lak 'curse'

webfact

Maybe it helps to burn a couple of million tons of fragrant rice to calm down the ghost in order to prevent this is happening in parliament.

Good idea, why don't they just burn the rice in a coal power plant to make electricity or use it to make more lou-cow to give the farmers in Issan to make them happy.

My brother's wife's daughter, two weeks ago fell very sick. My brother and his Thai wife live in England and had to fly here quickly.... The diagnosis done by the local hospital before they arrived was that she's possessed and of course they all believed it too (everyone in the village). Including my brother's wife 6000 miles away.

She was taken to a hospital in Ubon through advice given by my brother by telephone (hoping they would be better).

When they arrived in Thailand and saw her, she looked like a crazy girl... weak and muttering nonsense. "What about the blood test?" my brother asked. "oh. We don't know, was the reply." (The hospitals hadn't done one!).

They brought her to Bangkok and took her to Bumrungrad. A blood test and consultation revealed that she had a very low red blood cell count and severe iron deficiency. 4,500 baht including 6 months iron tablets.

She had been given, by the hospital in Ubon.... 2 different tranquilizers and flu tablets.

Yet they still believe she's been possessed now that she's a million times better.

• Like 1

My brother's wife's daughter, two weeks ago fell very sick. My brother and his Thai wife live in England and had to fly here quickly.... The diagnosis done by the local hospital before they arrived was that she's possessed and of course they all believed it too (everyone in the village). Including my brother's wife 6000 miles away.

She was taken to a hospital in Ubon through advice given by my brother by telephone (hoping they would be better).

When they arrived in Thailand and saw her, she looked like a crazy girl... weak and muttering nonsense. "What about the blood test?" my brother asked. "oh. We don't know, was the reply." (The hospitals hadn't done one!).

They brought her to Bangkok and took her to Bumrungrad. A blood test and consultation revealed that she had a very low red blood cell count and severe iron deficiency. 4,500 baht including 6 months iron tablets.

She had been given, by the hospital in Ubon.... 2 different tranquilizers and flu tablets.

Yet they still believe she's been possessed now that she's a million times better.

Thai in my village believe you will get sick if you go outside and get wet from rain but the same people collect rain water from their roofs to drink and bathe which is okay.

Unfortunately a belief in "ghosts" is deeply embedded within Thai society. "Evil" happenings associated with "ghosts" often a feature in Thai soap operas.

The report details a classic example of mass hysteria and associated hysterical hyperventilation (overbreathing). Sedation or "anaesthesia" has no part to play in treating this problem.

A quiet environment , a refusal to be impressed by the "performance" and if absolutely necessary re-breathing via a paper bag will rapidly terminate these events.

Incidents of mass hysteria amongst school children is NOT a phenomena exclusive to Thailand.

"Questioning" the children is unlikely to be helpful given the widespread belief in "ghosts" among Thai people.

Edited by jrtmedic

OK. Valium, not "anaesthesia". Makes a bit more sense.

"they were on a visit to the Anti-Narcotics Training Project" "Dr Sirichai characterised the incidents as “mass psychogenic illness”."

And they decide it was caused by ghosts?!?!

Well yes.

They keep that one at the end of the list when going through a process of elimination...

"question students to determine if the incident this morning was a genuine case of simultaneous mass possession or a hoax."

Form a committee?

Amusing Thailand

How about a crack down!

No, whats needed is a hub.

I see several possibilities.

1. Some sort of chemical/gas leak?

2. Some form of food poisoning?

3. The drug experimentation that others have suggested?

4. The kids did it as a prank, and that went badly wrong when they got to the hospital and got put under sedation.

(5. There really are ghosts and we're all fools for not believing in them... - but I really don't think it's this one...)

• 2 weeks later...

This sort of thing is not unique to Thailand. There have been a number of incidents of mass hysteria in the past 50 years, including in such 'civilised' places as the US and the UK. Almost always it is school girls who are affected. Here's one from the US just last year: http://news.discovery.com/human/psychology/study-confirms-mass-hysteria-in-new-york-school-120619.htm

This sort of thing is not unique to Thailand. There have been a number of incidents of mass hysteria in the past 50 years, including in such 'civilised' places as the US and the UK. Almost always it is school girls who are affected. Here's one from the US just last year: http://news.discovery.com/human/psychology/study-confirms-mass-hysteria-in-new-york-school-120619.htm

No this illness is not unique to Thailand. But teachers explaining that ghosts are to blame probably is.