Canadian expat, 64, faces deportation from Phuket for visa overstay

webfact

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure a trip to the ATM should've nipped this one in the bud. Looks like he's screwed now though. Best to offer the bribe straight away with matters like this. It does look like he was grassed up by someone for over-staying as immigration generally aren't out there actively looking for over-stayers.

He'll be back soon enough though I imagine.

At least he screwed 3 years out of immigration. Now time to face the punishment. Thought there was a Max 20,000 baht fine for this.

Looks like he tried to lie to them regarding his passport. I think if he had shown remorse and been humble he might have gotten away with a 20K fine.

But if you are rude or arrogant to officials you don't get anywhere here.

Did he not realize he could have done it the easy way and applied for a retirement visa 3 years ago?

Seems rather silly to be caught over staying. The rules are in place, we very well may bitch and moan about them (and we do), but their country - their rules. We are just guests there and if we don't like it, go back to where we come from. If you live by the rules, you can stay permanently, buy a condo and live reasonably more comfortably than you generally can in your home country for a similar amount of money.

If he had a girlfriend and had run out of money, you may wish to guess who dobbed him in, either the girlfriend or her family. Just saying......:whistling:

Or maybe Immigration are wading through arrival and departure records and identifying discrepancies ?
  • Like 1

At least he screwed 3 years out of immigration. Now time to face the punishment. Thought there was a Max 20,000 baht fine for this.

Yes, max 20k fine + deportation if they want to make an example of him, which it seems they do.

if one gets to the airport without getting caught by immigration first then there the 20.000 applies if arrested like that he will get the bill a 500 Thb per day that's what i've been told

max fine is 20,000 regardless of how long you have overstayed my friend who overstayed for 5 years went to the airport and paid 20,000 baht 2 hours later he caught his flight no problems think someone must have grassed on this guy and I suppose by telling lies he now finds himself being deported Life can be a bitch if you do not stick by the rules !!!!!

Can not disagree however it is the rank hypocracy that taints this country. Those in government and the police service who comit vastly more serious crimes than this poor bugger are simply moved to an inactive position for a nano second and without the photo opertunity afforded to the falangs. The laws is the law with cultural exceptions.

Looks like he tried to lie to them regarding his passport. I think if he had shown remorse and been humble he might have gotten away with a 20K fine.

But if you are rude or arrogant to officials you don't get anywhere here.

Did he not realize he could have done it the easy way and applied for a retirement visa 3 years ago?

Typo? Could've done it 13 (or 14) years ago at age 50.

I'm sure a trip to the ATM should've nipped this one in the bud. Looks like he's screwed now though. Best to offer the bribe straight away with matters like this. It does look like he was grassed up by someone for over-staying as immigration generally aren't out there actively looking for over-stayers.

broke so no use going to ATM, probobly same as getting blood from a stone.

In my opinion, deportation is enough punishment. Jail time for overstaying is OVER the top.

You should work for the British Government, where next you will be saying let's give him a house, car and living money for free. You come to a foreign country you should know the rules, most do follow and pay. Otherwise it will be abused plan a three year stay, and then simply say Oh I have no money, send me home for free; it just don't work that way.

• Like 1

In my opinion, deportation is enough punishment. Jail time for overstaying is OVER the top.

You should work for the British Government, where next you will be saying let's give him a house, car and living money for free. You come to a foreign country you should know the rules, most do follow and pay. Otherwise it will be abused plan a three year stay, and then simply say Oh I have no money, send me home for free; it just don't work that way.

That's a wild exaggeration of what I said.

he got caught for loving Thailand.

personally i would like to see line up with good cops when tey crack a dope ring at the highest level,,,,not this poor man.

dreams shattered

This is the sort of nonsense that comes around to bite everyone in the ass. If you're so experienced at bribing people (and are doing something that requires bribery), you might want to keep that information to yourself.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Good they caught him kick his sorry a-- out blacklist him. Yes I know some here think that it is cool to screw the man, people who cheat on their taxes cause other people to pay more and losers like this guy puts the spot light o0n people who follow the immigration rules

• Like 1

This is the sort of nonsense that comes around to bite everyone in the ass. If you're so experienced at bribing people, you might want to keep that information to yourself.

Seems like some other people should also keep their useless comments for themselves (and I agree that I am one of them but when reading your stupid comment I had to do it :-) ).

My guess is his main squeeze squeezed him for all she could get (which may not have been much), and then like a spider thru his husk out of her web. But I could be projecting..... Not that hard to live on 11k a month if you are not a drinker and woman fancier.

I live in a village in Issan and about two weeks ago the village head man came asking my name as wanted the names of all farangs living in the village. At the time it crossed my mind if it was the police checking if all the farangs are in the country legally. I do not know if it was just local or country widebiggrin.png

Edited by metisdead
Font

If he had a girlfriend and had run out of money, you may wish to guess who dobbed him in, either the girlfriend or her family. Just saying......whistling.gif

oh common, farang backstabbing farang is possible too as are numerous other scenarios. go speculate on the stock market.

Yeah, especially since many Thais are not aware of immigration rules. They know that immigration officials process paperwork regarding foreigners here, but most Thais who don't work directly in with immigration or in HR in a company with foreigners don't know the requirements, periods of stay, work restrictions/requirements...so, yeah, very possible it is another falang.

"I wonder who reported him to immigration for them to come and find him, and why?"

Thung Thong is a very small village ! Not the sort of place where the police would be hunting overstayers --- unless they were tipped off !

It would also seem that the immigration data base has matured into an effective tool !

When I think of the truly dangerous element of certain Foreigners we see in Thailand, I certainly agree this is a very odd case of one ... (only judging by appearances) ... harmless old man who made a stupid mistake.

To believe that Immigration simply gazed into their crystal ball, and his face popped up is silly beyond words, so I agree with you 100%. There is much more to this story, and if he has one regret once the smoke has cleared...it will likely be that he did a poor job choosing his "friends." My bet is "Follow the money" or his "honey" ...or both ... and you will see how this came to be.

He didn't make a mistake. His overstay was deliberate.

Edited by davejones
  • Like 1

Good Riddance. In my own country the population is sick to death of people arriving on a visa and then 'disappearing'. It's selfish idiots like him that make immigration rules tougher and tougher for everyone else.

• Like 1

Cheaper to have stayed legally if he had the "retirement" visa money requirements.

As for Capt Angkarn Yasanop of Phuket Immigration, he looks like he should still be in school. blink.png

I was a boss in my younger years and had the problem of being baby-faced too.

The macho guys (90% of whom were idiots) just would not listen to whatever I could say, so I had to get rid of them.

• Like 1

Isnt working in Real Estate illegal for a Farang too? Either way I dont think he will be missed, Phuket is over run with scamming Real Estate businesses run by broke ass shonks, praying on that one commission from some dumb sucker, with a newly aquired bargirl on his arm