Canadian expat, 64, faces deportation from Phuket for visa overstay

webfact

Hi Stevenl, I live in Central Thailand and come from Scotland.

then why the irish flag,,,,,,?????,,thats not in the uk,,last i new unless they applied to come back into the fold,,,need another bailout,,,,,,,coffee1.gif

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then why the irish flag,,,,,,?????,,thats not in the uk,,last i new unless they applied to come back into the fold,,,need another bailout,,,,,,,coffee1.gif

I was waiting for that, there is a reason for the Irish flag, but it is not for this forum.

I was waiting for that, there is a reason for the Irish flag, but it is not for this forum.

send me a message then geezer,,,,,im all ears,,,,,it cant be as bad as this poor sod whose geing hung drawn and quartered,,by some on here today,,,,,

Edited by winstonc

One fellow who has lived in Udon Thani over 30 years, remembers a foreigner who overstayed by 10 years. That foreigner became famous for his overstay & living as a Thai; language, dress, field work, etc. and news articles were written about him.

Foreigners around Udon often helped the guy out; trips to Kohn Kaen or Nong Khai, etc.

Immigration seemed not to care...

Then the story faded and the poor fellow went on with his life - still here as far as anyone knows.

Why is one person ignored and another villified - T.I.T. so who knows...LOL

Edited by dighambara

^^ I suspect with most things in Thailand it is down to the person's attitude.

Becoming Thai and tolling in the Isaan fields is a bit different than scamming people in Phuket shopping centers.

• Like 1

send me a message then geezer,,,,,im all ears,,,,,it cant be as bad as this poor sod whose geing hung drawn and quartered,,by some on here today,,,,,

I will need to think why someone should call me Geezer.

Phuket Immigration seem to be on a roll today with another overstay to be deported...... http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Immigration-British-realtor-to-be-deported-21520.html

Is this maybe a show of force/face or simply co-incidence?

realtor is a forbidden profession for foreigners? Seems strange considering the number of real estate agencies run by and employing foreigners.

Interesting how Thailand is getting less and less hospitable for long stay visitors (no I am not saying 3 years overstay is OK) but more and more long stay restrictions and hoops to jump through. Philippines is making it easy and just is introducing a 6 month long stay visa for tourists. Philippines also has several programs leading to permanent resident status so no visa runs, and in some cases NO yearly reporting to immigration. They seem to see the advantage of attracting retirement and long stay individuals. Also easy to buy condos in Philippines. Thailand on the other hand with the new comments about mandiatory medical insurance for visitors seems to NOT want people to come, stay and spend money.

Not sure where you are going here. I have only been here for 7 years and I can't recall them making it harder.

As for insurance as you plainly stated it. It is for visitors. Not a word about other types of Visas.

Talk like that is just the kind that people who don't know what is happening say and unfortunately some believe it is already fact.

Chances are it will not ever come into effect even for tourists.

Now on that I could be wrong but I doubt it.

• Like 1

One fellow who has lived in Udon Thani over 30 years, remembers a foreigner who overstayed by 10 years. That foreigner became famous for his overstay & living as a Thai; language, dress, field work, etc. and news articles were written about him.

Foreigners around Udon often helped the guy out; trips to Kohn Kaen or Nong Khai, etc.

Then the story faded and the poor fellow went on with his life - still here as far as anyone knows.

Good one comparing Pattaya happenings to Udon Thani happenings.smile.png

Good one comparing Pattaya happenings to Udon Thani happenings.smile.png

Urban myth ?

• Like 1

He wanted to stay here and yet doesn't follow the norms. While I know some people dreaming to go to Cnada.

On 11,000 baht a month pension he had to be scamming some where. If that was all the money I had a month I would be looking for a remote village. Pattaya wouldn't even be on my wish list. Perhaps Udon Thani on the outskirts close to a Thai market.

However by law you should carry your passport with you at all times.

Er there is no such law....however the law goes along the lines of saying you should be able to postively identify yourself and your visa status within a reasonable length of time

and another one as well::::

PHUKET: Phuket immigration today arrested for illegal entry a British man who had been working on the island as a realtor, a profession reserved for Thais, since 2011.

Richard James Daffund, 44, was picked up by police as he walked along Phuket Road, just several hundred meters from the Phuket Immigration Office.

The Englishman was recognized by police, who notified immigration, Capt Angkarn Yasanop of Phuket Immigration said.

Capt Angkarn, along with Phuket Immigration chief Sunchai Chokkajaykij and immigration officers, set out to find Mr Daffund.

“We spotted a man who matched the description of Mr Daffund and asked for his passport. He could not produce it, so we took him to the Phuket Immigration Office,” said Capt Angkarn.

“According to our records, Mr Daffund entered Thailand in December 2010 and left in January 2011. We have no records for him after that date,” he said.

He confessed that he had entered Thailand illegally through Malaysia in 2011 and had been working in Phuket as a realtor, he said.

“He will be transferred to Bangkok to be deported,” he added.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Immigration-British-realtor-to-be-deported-21520.html

Another website (that cannot be mentioned) stated that he was connected to a Real Estate company.

This is the Canadian we're talking about not the second bloke. No mention has been made of his employer.

This is probably only the tip of the iceberg.

These people are not doing themselves or anyone else any favours by abusing the Immigration system. The actions of these losers has a knock on effect for all of us.

Why should I as a law abiding Thailand expat have to risk being penalized with tighter visa regulations, because of these selfish losers?

I would like to see the strictest penalties applied for these offenses, including a jail sentence, fine, deportation and then blacklisted, to act as a deterrent for other illegals of little wealth, who plonk themselves here on a hope and a prayer, considering doing the same.

• Like 2

At least he screwed 3 years out of immigration. Now time to face the punishment. Thought there was a Max 20,000 baht fine for this.

Yes, max 20k fine + deportation if they want to make an example of him, which it seems they do.

if one gets to the airport without getting caught by immigration first then there the 20.000 applies if arrested like that he will get the bill a 500 Thb per day that's what i've been told

I had a friend trhey took for overstay, In court, it was only 3000 bht for 5 months overstay and he had to fly home.

After 2 months he was back in Thailand.

• Like 1

This guy knowingly broke the law in a host country and tried to lie about it when he got caught. Yet some people think he only deserves a slap on the wrist (i.e., simple deportation at most). I wonder how many of you would be as sympathetic and comforting toward illegal aliens in your own countries. And it's not as if he was fleeing from war or famine... he comes from a classic welfare state and would do just fine back there (I hold the same passport he does). He just likes the life he's been able to live in Thailand and decided it wasn't worth the effort to do things the legit way... and that may affect those who are legit.

• Like 1

"I wonder who reported him to immigration for them to come and find him, and why?"

Thung Thong is a very small village ! Not the sort of place where the police would be hunting overstayers --- unless they were tipped off !

It would also seem that the immigration data base has matured into an effective tool !

When I think of the truly dangerous element of certain Foreigners we see in Thailand, I certainly agree this is a very odd case of one ... (only judging by appearances) ... harmless old man who made a stupid mistake.

To believe that Immigration simply gazed into their crystal ball, and his face popped up is silly beyond words, so I agree with you 100%. There is much more to this story, and if he has one regret once the smoke has cleared...it will likely be that he did a poor job choosing his "friends." My bet is "Follow the money" or his "honey" ...or both ... and you will see how this came to be.

As he had no money, I doubt whether there was any honey.

Maybe the landlord got fed up?

These people are not doing themselves or anyone else any favours by abusing the Immigration system. The actions of these losers has a knock on effect for all of us.

Why should I as a law abiding Thailand expat have to risk being penalized with tighter visa regulations, because of these selfish losers?

I would like to see the strictest penalties applied for these offenses, including a jail sentence, fine, deportation and then blacklisted, to act as a deterrent for other illegals of little wealth, who plonk themselves here on a hope and a prayer, considering doing the same.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, you have to admit he (or they in the class you refer to) would not be relying on the Thai State to provide any support whatsoever.

This is the total opposite of all those who go off to the "Rich Western Countries" and, after a short time, qualify for government support, social benefits, medical treatment and all the trappings.

• Like 1

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, you have to admit he (or they in the class you refer to) would not be relying on the Thai State to provide any support whatsoever.

This is the total opposite of all those who go off to the "Rich Western Countries" and, after a short time, qualify for government support, social benefits, medical treatment and all the trappings.

So in which other ways can these people be financially supporting themselves in Thailand?

Only three according to my estimations:

Either by living off savings until these run dry or by working illegally or into some sorts of shady business activities and that includes online companies if these are not registered with the authorities of Thailand.

If a foreigner immigrates to a Western country and is eligible for welfare benefits, than whether we agree with this or not, they are still legal and abiding by the laws of any particular countries if they have a state welfare system.

Thailand is not a welfare state in the true sense and have imposed certain laws and regulations regarding Westerners living long term in Thailand. That`s the way it is and again even if some do not agree with these regulations.

So my issue here is, and I`ll repeat; the actions of these irresponsible losers can have a knock on effect for all of us. I believe that the recent proposals to impose that all tourists will require medical and accident insurance, which i have no doubts will be extended to ex-pats, is a typical example of how we will all end up bearing the burden for those who can not stay within the boundaries of the law and pay their way here.

• Like 1

Before he called himself Jim from Canada. Maybe some guys know him from parking lot at Big C, Lotus or Central. He was a good con artist in Phuket Town in the last years. About 2 years ago had a topic here in thaivisa.

What was the nature of his con? Was he the guy begging in the carpark and promising to pay it back?

Oh, no! He wasn't the bloke with a bike who said he had no petrol so could I lend him 100 baht?

Even swapped mobile numbers with him promising to call me the following week. Never heard from him again. mad.gif

Edit:

Just checked my phone - I still have his number: 08569371xx

If it's YOU, dämn well call me! mad.gif

Edited by JetsetBkk

Are some guys still living in the past? Except perhaps for those seriously on the long spiral downward, Thailand is no longer a place where you can come, live out your years, and just sort of lose oneself in the idyllic palm-strewn scenery. 'Some rules you just gotta' play by (or plan on some inconvenience somewhere down the road...). Figuring out what the rules really are in a land so full of, well, call it local custom, can be something of a challenge, but that's another discussion. Safe to say however, immigration matters ARE one of the rules you should expect to have to play by. Sure, there's always the unforeseen, but 'can't imagine intentionally and knowingly overstaying in this day & age.

I've known many that have done exactly this same thing for various reasons; usually an unexpected financial deficiency. On a visa trip to Cambodia there was a guy with a 5 year overstay that just paid the fine went across the boarder came back and was on the same bus back to Bangkok with the rest of us. I didn't know the guy but I was surprised at how easy is was. So some times it works. I think it's pretty risky to use that strategy.