Illegal taxi drivers in Patong threaten Phuket governor with mob action

Lite Beer

You see it all here, but this is forum is as hypochritical as Judah paying Tamar for sex and then having her burnt for being a whore...

So all the TV members here are going for 'man of the year'?

Never broken the law here? Never got a hooker or a massage with a happy ending? Never driven drunk or without a helmet on or too lazy to pay your vehicle taxes?

never had a toke of ganga or slung a cop some tea money?

And here you all are complaining about some guys trying to get a very small slice of a very big pie which is Phuket.

n BKK

Id like to know what the TV members think a taxi driver should earn in Phuket, just for a laugh

I do not speak for all TV members, but I would say pay them the same as drivers in BKK plus a small perhaps 5% cost of living adjustment. Sounds hilarious to me... If the tuk tuks and the taxis went about their business using reasonable fares, we would not be having this discussion and now for the real hilarious part...if the fares were reasonable, less unqualified drivers would rent scooters and less people would die. 5555555 and by the way, I do own a Honda dream, along with cars other motorcycles, a car and a small airplane. You are correct about one thing though, I am a warrior. For real. Edited by bunta71
  • Like 2

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a critic of the Tuk Tuk/taxi mafia and I drive a car. Why this need to insult the TV membership ?

Maybe you should ask your little ex-pat gang down there.biggrin.png

@ lostmebike

Sorry if I insulted your intelligence here, but your post here just doesn't make sense.

A reference to you? Noooooooooo!

If you can't make sense out of something directed at another, why get involved?

Sorry 'your post here just doesn't make sense.'

do not understand that Governor let himself beeing " threaten " like that why he does not reply with i do not deal with this stuff in this way ,you spoiled it fore good now ,get the hell of my island

I dont see any tourists complaining about the prices of taxis and tuk tuks, just the honda dream pensioner gang

Do you ever talk to tourist's ? If you did.

You would find that it is the number one complaint to the TAT and various organisations

can you back this statistic up with actual facts? Or are we not letting the truth get in the way of a good story?

Have a little look at this site and work it for yourself.

http://phukettuktuks.com/

Off to fire up the Dream now and head off to the bar

I dont see any tourists complaining about the prices of taxis and tuk tuks, just the honda dream pensioner gang

You would find that it is the number one complaint to the TAT and various organisations

can you back this statistic up with actual facts? Or are we not letting the truth get in the way of a good story?

Shhh not too much info....don't want someone to know that our patched up, hard core Dreamriders gang has its meetings in the no-name bar every week.

He may want to join up and feel a little love towards his senior members.tongue.png

The tuk-tuk protest last week (story here) prompted a police crackdown on illegal taxi drivers across the island, explained Mr Anan.

“Police are arresting us and making sure we are ‘charged double’. We cannot afford to keep paying these fines,” Mr Anan said.

I would assume that this means there was a standard charge that was utilized by police in Phuket to enrich themselves, and they've recently doubled it (probably as a result of the fact that the local police yesterday recognized the decade old trend of the media poo-pooing Phuket's brazen corruption; someone in the department must have finally learned to read). This article is so sad. I want to blame the local taxi-drivers with third-grade literacy levels for their shenanigans but they're only watching their local police officers with even lower IQ quotients and less shame plunder the island for whatever their lazy, ignorant brown tushes can exact from it. Thailand is rotten from the root to the leaf. What a sorry situation for a country that likes to think of itself as the world preeminent tourist destination. If the illegal taxi drivers are complaining that the local law enforcement is unfairly collecting higher bribes, you know you should just shake your head and move on the greener pastures. Phuket's administrators and police officers wouldn't be able to distinguish a moral action from an adult stealing an infant's lollipop. I've heard of marine mammals with a greater sense of moral duty than the whole of Thai society on the island of Ph(f)uket!

No, it just means they are charged twice: once to be a part of the Patong taxi/tuktuk organisation and get a stand place, and a second time by the police because they are illegal.

Right, so AFTER they are arrested, the illegal taxi drivers are charged once to be a part of the taxi organization and once by the police? That's how you interpret "'Police are arresting us and making sure we're charged double...'"? Does the taxi organization come directly to the jail to receive their cut, do you think, or do the police collect all the money after the arrest and then share with the taxi organization?

• Like 1

The tuk-tuk protest last week (story here) prompted a police crackdown on illegal taxi drivers across the island, explained Mr Anan.

“Police are arresting us and making sure we are ‘charged double’. We cannot afford to keep paying these fines,” Mr Anan said.

I would assume that this means there was a standard charge that was utilized by police in Phuket to enrich themselves, and they've recently doubled it (probably as a result of the fact that the local police yesterday recognized the decade old trend of the media poo-pooing Phuket's brazen corruption; someone in the department must have finally learned to read). This article is so sad. I want to blame the local taxi-drivers with third-grade literacy levels for their shenanigans but they're only watching their local police officers with even lower IQ quotients and less shame plunder the island for whatever their lazy, ignorant brown tushes can exact from it. Thailand is rotten from the root to the leaf. What a sorry situation for a country that likes to think of itself as the world preeminent tourist destination. If the illegal taxi drivers are complaining that the local law enforcement is unfairly collecting higher bribes, you know you should just shake your head and move on the greener pastures. Phuket's administrators and police officers wouldn't be able to distinguish a moral action from an adult stealing an infant's lollipop. I've heard of marine mammals with a greater sense of moral duty than the whole of Thai society on the island of Ph(f)uket!

No, it just means they are charged twice: once to be a part of the Patong taxi/tuktuk organisation and get a stand place, and a second time by the police because they are illegal.

No..wrong....If you read the OP it says..;;

Police have been arresting and charging illegal taxi drivers for both using a standard vehicle as a taxi and with driving an illegally modified vehicle to serve as a taxi, he explained.whistling.gif

so simple thoughts ,if they are illegal <deleted> are they doing there and still working with their old vehicles without insurance <deleted>

complain that they get fined they should get fined every day double

if they ever want to make phuket the garden of eden the north east asia

support all the crackdowns on illegal activities

edit again,,

never been to phuket but alot of good friends did

it is not allover ladybars and boys

there is very much good in the island also

Edited by retell

I looked for about 5 seconds, it looks extremely professional, obviously the anti tuk tuk brigade is quite flush with funds

Right, so AFTER they are arrested, the illegal taxi drivers are charged once to be a part of the taxi organization and once by the police? That's how you interpret "'Police are arresting us and making sure we're charged double...'"? Does the taxi organization come directly to the jail to receive their cut, do you think, or do the police collect all the money after the arrest and then share with the taxi organization?

OK, you really have no idea what you're talking about.

Doesn't matter, just write down your opinions here anyway, everybody else does the same.

@Stevenl ^^^^^^

Why don;t you practice as you preach...you got it wrong yourself or to use you own words.."OK, you really have no idea what you're talking about."
See #97

Big difference between not reading properly (ok, so they're paying 2 times to the police and 1x to the association, so 3 times in total, I presumed the article was talking about 1x police and 1x association, but it was apparently talking only about the 2x police payment) and not having a clue.

The bottom line is running a tuk tuk or taxi in Phuket is probably triple the price of Bangkok

So what figures do you have to back this wild statement up ?

The post says 'probably' - hardly a wild statement. Actually seems like a reasonable assumption from what I have seen and heard

The bottom line is running a tuk tuk or taxi in Phuket is probably triple the price of Bangkok

So what figures do you have to back this wild statement up ?

The post says 'probably' - hardly a wild statement. Actually seems like a reasonable assumption from what I have seen and heard

I can't see that, but how about some facts and figures to clarify this assumption and see if true or not..interesting if it is so.

Dont stop there^^^, lets enforce all the laws of Phuket/Thailand, lets boot out all the people that buy land in company names, or putting land in a spouses name is also illegal. While we are all crying for the blood of a few taxi drivers without the correct colored plates, lets not forget the real lawbreakers here, the farang land developers. Let he without sin cast the first stone :)

Dont stop there^^^, lets enforce all the laws of Phuket/Thailand, lets boot out all the people that buy land in company names, or putting land in a spouses name is also illegal. While we are all crying for the blood of a few taxi drivers without the correct colored plates, lets not forget the real lawbreakers here, the farang land developers. Let he without sin cast the first stone smile.png

I have a big pile of em! WHere do I start throwing?

• Like 1