BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Rain dancer

Yangon in 15 years

Hi all,

In 15 Years, how do you foresight Yangon developing? Like wich city in Asia ?

Or in other words, if you had to compare, given your actual knowledge.

You think it can become like Bangkok ? Or more like Dhaka ? Or maybe Phnom Penh ?

I have great hopes for it if its planned right and done right

They have enough natural resources there to generate a decent city to live in

• Like 1

When do you think they will overturn Ne Win's total ban on motorcycles in Yangon?

Then the traffic system will be interesting, there will be generations of people who have never even thought about road rules or ever ridden a motorbike, they've always had to take the bus, taxi or walk if they couldn't get a ride.

Edited by uptheos

When do you think they will overturn Ne Win's total ban on motorcycles in Yangon?

Then the traffic system will be interesting, there will be generations of people who have never even thought about road rules or ever ridden a motorbike, they've always had to take the bus, taxi or walk if they couldn't get a ride.

One thing that was taught by example here over the years is that "rules apply to other people."

With road rules it is the same. License rules the same. etc. Part of this is because the bureaucracy is so insanely slow to do anything that your only option to function is to break the rules.

With this in mind you must remember that the people who make the rules have no incentive to change the motorcycle rules in Yangon because it would put more obstacles in their cars way as they drive around. So they want to keep the roads to themselves basically. So until one of them or his kids want them back it wont happen. In short democracy or not, dont hold your breath on this one because it involves prejudice. Of course the police ride unregistered motorcycles around, and the electricity dept, and it is rumoured exemptions will be made for couriers. But never would such freedom be given to the people. They are not ready for that yet. :) Unless of course they live in Mandalay where a car is a rarity.

The figures I looked at recently showed from memory: 3.6 million reg. vehicles in Myanmar. 3.1 million are motorcycles .5 are others. So why Yangon is exempt is a very good question? But I am the only one asking it.

• Like 1

One thing that was taught by example here over the years is that "rules apply to other people."

With road rules it is the same. License rules the same. etc. Part of this is because the bureaucracy is so insanely slow to do anything that your only option to function is to break the rules.

With this in mind you must remember that the people who make the rules have no incentive to change the motorcycle rules in Yangon because it would put more obstacles in their cars way as they drive around. So they want to keep the roads to themselves basically. So until one of them or his kids want them back it wont happen. In short democracy or not, dont hold your breath on this one because it involves prejudice. Of course the police ride unregistered motorcycles around, and the electricity dept, and it is rumoured exemptions will be made for couriers. But never would such freedom be given to the people. They are not ready for that yet. smile.png Unless of course they live in Mandalay where a car is a rarity.

The figures I looked at recently showed from memory: 3.6 million reg. vehicles in Myanmar. 3.1 million are motorcycles .5 are others. So why Yangon is exempt is a very good question? But I am the only one asking it.

Isn't it because one of Ne Win's cars had an incident with a motorbike in Yangon, so he banned all motorbikes in that city overnight in anger. This could be inaccurate, it's what I was told by some Burmese friends.

My understanding (I was in Yangon when the bikes were banned) is that it was due to Ne Win's grandsons running amok with their gang 'the Scorpions'

They were tearing around on motorbikes, and after some incidents of violence the regime decided to ban bikes (and yes it was virtually overnight)

My understanding (I was in Yangon when the bikes were banned) is that it was due to Ne Win's grandsons running amok with their gang 'the Scorpions'

They were tearing around on motorbikes, and after some incidents of violence the regime decided to ban bikes (and yes it was virtually overnight)

What year was that SVB?

What year was that SVB?

1999. I'll check up on that, I may be able to find out the month (my memory on those shenanigans is pretty clear, just not the exact date laugh.png

The reason it rings so clear is that the company I worked for at the time had the boys' father as our local partner (Ne Win's grandson). Very interesting chap.

What year was that SVB?

1999. I'll check up on that, I may be able to find out the month (my memory on those shenanigans is pretty clear, just not the exact date laugh.png

The reason it rings so clear is that the company I worked for at the time had the boys' father as our local partner (Ne Win's grandson). Very interesting chap.

It was my understanding there was an attempted assassination of some high up official - the culprits got away on motorcycles. May sound far fetched, but then again, why paint trees white......

• Like 1

What year was that SVB?

It was my understanding there was an attempted assassination of some high up official - the culprits got away on motorcycles. May sound far fetched, but then again, why paint trees white......

As I recall the official was Maung Aye. Not too sure who the guys were on the motorcycles were, whether they were Scorpions or not, but one of them was said to have made a gun gesture with his hands. That was enough for Maung Aye to realize how vulnerable he was.

Used to see some lovely BSA's and Nortons on the road before that.

Remember the garage thats a bit out of town? You could get a fully restored BSA crated and on a boat for next to nothing. (Our favourite Kiwi may still remember where it is).

I bought a BSA from Cliff - got stolen :(

Troll post removed

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 1 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app