Indian tourist punched and kicked outside South Pattaya shopping mall

webfact

Indian Tourist Punched and Kicked outside South Pattaya Shopping Mall

india-3.jpg

PATTAYA: -- An Indian couple, who were enjoying their first ever trip to Thailand appeared at Pattaya Police Station on Thursday to report an alleged assault by market vendors situated in front of a South Pattaya Shopping Mall.

Mr. Nilesh More aged 34 and his wife described how the pair went to the Avenue Shopping Mall on Pattaya Second Road and were looking at market stalls situated at the front of the mall and close to the MacDonald’s Restaurant.

They intended to purchase toys for their children and found what they were looking for, however the market stall was unattended so they asked other vendors how they could purchase the items.

One vendor, who Police later determined was called Khun Geng, approached the couple and angrily stated the items were not for sale and he is alleged to have kicked Mr. More during the encounter. Other vendors then approached the Indian Tourist and proceeded to kic and punch him.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/94139/indian-tourist-punched-kicked-south-pattaya-shopping-mall/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-07-05

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like there is much more to this story. I know Thais tend to dislike Indians, and they can be annoying, but have never known vendors to attack anyone without provocation.

And provocation can easily be in the form of 'loss of face' or a perceived slight which may have come from cultural differences.

We all know vendors attack people. It should not matter what the provocation is, they should not be attacking people under any circumstances.

• Like 1

This is why Thailand is pushing for the quality tourist. This sort of thing tarnishes Thailand's reputation. If these people were quality tourists they wouldn't be shopping at market stalls they would be in Major Department stores shopping for designer items (made in India & Bangladesh). This incident would not have happened.thumbsup.gif

Mate,regardless,they shouldn't have been attacked by the mob.

quite true. I was using just a touch of sarcasm.

No probs chooka. I got it.

• Like 1

I have witnessed altercations when someone looks long at one stall then buys from another.

Vendors can get territorial and competitive very quickly.

Not condoning the incident but offering one possible scenario.

• Like 1

Not exactly a good way to close a sale, let alone get repeat business. You would think vendors would have enough brains to know different cultures people may express thinks in a not Thai way, and cut them some slack. Oh, but I brought up brains, didn't I? Never mind

I must say I am surprised that anyone would want to kick an Indian. Any business dealings I have had with Indians have been thoroughly professional, pleasant and fair. Uh hum! rolleyes.gif

That's one! I, for one, will never go to India again. And I no longer have dealing with them. Still, assaulted at the Avenue. Not a surprise if you look at what is parked outside all day and night.

• Like 1

This is why Thailand is pushing for the quality tourist. This sort of thing tarnishes Thailand's reputation. If these people were quality tourists they wouldn't be shopping at market stalls they would be in Major Department stores shopping for designer items (made in India & Bangladesh). This incident would not have happened.thumbsup.gif

What a load of rubbish you talk. Rich people still go to markets. If Thailand wants the quality tourists that snobs like you bleat about, then it needs to start producing quality locals.

As I said in a previous post, I was using a touch of sarcasm, I was having a dig at TAT's aim of having quality tourists over what they have now. I guess it went straight through to the keeper. My apology if I have offended you as it was not my intentionwai2.gif

• Like 1

I must say I am surprised that anyone would want to kick an Indian. Any business dealings I have had with Indians have been thoroughly professional, pleasant and fair. Uh hum! Posted Image

You're lucky. . . .and how would anyone know. . . there is more to this story.

Indians can like anyone else be incredibly arrogant.

They come from a society with one of the most rigid class and caste systems anywhere in the world. 

It is frequently difficult for some of them to forget where they are in the scheme of things when they leave their mother

country.

Wealthy middle class Indians have given me a lot of grief in many circumstances. So much I have actually started to avoid them.

I know this is wrong of me but it has happened. There are obviously beautiful people from there, however they can be 

very judgemental and Thais demand respect. Fair enough. 

Who know what happened. 

You said it; thais demand respect whereas people from more civilozed places command respect

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Funnily I was at McDonalds watching the situation unravel.. However I missed the very beginning.. My guess is they picked a toy and were acting as if they'd left with it if no one had come around. One of the stall attendants decided it would prevent a theft if he just tells them it's not for sale. The Indian then didn't want to give the toy back saying he's buing it. Other vendors came to assist guess who) This would make sense to me..

• Like 2

I must say I am surprised that anyone would want to kick an Indian. Any business dealings I have had with Indians have been thoroughly professional, pleasant and fair. Uh hum! rolleyes.gif

You're lucky. . . .and how would anyone know. . . there is more to this story.

Indians can like anyone else be incredibly arrogant.

They come from a society with one of the most rigid class and caste systems anywhere in the world.

It is frequently difficult for some of them to forget where they are in the scheme of things when they leave their mother

country.

Wealthy middle class Indians have given me a lot of grief in many circumstances. So much I have actually started to avoid them.

I know this is wrong of me but it has happened. There are obviously beautiful people from there, however they can be

very judgemental and Thais demand respect. Fair enough.

Who know what happened.

You said it; thais demand respect whereas people from more civilozed places command respect

Absolutely right, respect cannot be acquired on demand.