Indian tourist punched and kicked outside South Pattaya shopping mall

webfact

This is why Thailand is pushing for the quality tourist. This sort of thing tarnishes Thailand's reputation. If these people were quality tourists they wouldn't be shopping at market stalls they would be in Major Department stores shopping for designer items (made in India & Bangladesh). This incident would not have happened.:thumbsup:

Mate,regardless,they shouldn't have been attacked by the mob.

Some attack...must have been brutal as they are covered in cuts and bruises!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like there is much more to this story. I know Thais tend to dislike Indians, and they can be annoying, but have never known vendors to attack anyone without provocation.

And provocation can easily be in the form of 'loss of face' or a perceived slight which may have come from cultural differences.

We all know vendors attack people. It should not matter what the provocation is, they should not be attacking people under any circumstances.

No we don't all know. And like I said, I've lived in LOS for over a decade and never seen such an instance. I've done my share of street shopping in pattaya and Bangkok (among the Sukie vendors who are a craven lot for sure) and engaged in plenty of heated bargaining and walked away from a purchase many a time and never been attached (either physically or verbally [to my face at least]) but of course, I never resorted to profanity or making finger gestures at them either.

Normally if one stall attendant is away eating or at the bathroom etc. the others take care of the stall for them but might not actually make the sale. They would most likely say that the vendor will be right back and try to keep them there. They don't care what race they are as long as it is money coming in and are generally not prejudice (or at least wouldn't show it).

In many years in Thailand I have never seen a Thai attack ANYONE unless it was provoked. Even if foreigners point at an item with their feet, they are tolerant as they know it is not our culture.

110% we will get a different story after the police have talked to the other vendors.

• Like 1

I must say I am surprised that anyone would want to kick an Indian. Any business dealings I have had with Indians have been thoroughly professional, pleasant and fair. Uh hum! rolleyes.gif

Oh god racism is alive and well. Bet you would say the same if it was an Arab. There is no reason for violence anytime no excuse unless attacked yourself or one of your loved ones.

If he was being obnoxious. Then why not give him a little wake up call (why should you have to waste time down the police station, just for nothing to happen?).... Only problem here was that it took more than one of them... As usual.

• Like 1

I would be incredibly surprised if a vendor selling toys attacked a tourist for no reason. Thank you too Alex above who filled us in on that the Indian might have provoked the situation by not wanting to give the toy back.

In my experience Indians can be very condescending and rude. But not all of them of course.

Qulification: I have lived in India; still vist thes, Bagladesh and Pakistan on e aregular basis and altough you cannot tar them all with the same brush, they are generally arrogant and bullish with anyobe who is deemed as a lower caste than them [street vendors and sales assistants for example]. I try to never be in a sales queue if one is ahead me. I was in Robinsons recently and watched one having a fit becouse he couldn't get a bigger discount the the 30% that was already on the lable. The assistant filanly got fed up and asked him to standing aside so she could serve other customers. He went ballastic, demading to see the store manager - who turned up with a coulpe of securtity guards and quietly lead him away. Have you witnessed them all at Subarnivum, with their SONY Bravias under their arms and all trying to get bargains/discounts and free gifts at the duty free shops!?! Lastly but not least - you must have witnessed them trying to take masses of bags through as carry-on. All that of course can be blamed on their culture - but surely, even in India, soap and deoderant is readily available!

• Like 2

I witnessed a very similar unprovoked attact on a very polite Indian a few weeks back.

I was standing at the front of a gogo bar on Walking St the night there was the big rain and about a foot of water on the road. It was really pouring down so people were standing at the front of the bars.

Anyway one of the security guards told a small group of Indians to move on now. The Indian guy pointed at the rain and explained that it was pouring down. This security guy then became super aggressive and swung an umbrella at the Indian hitting him. There was a bit of a scene and the Indians move on through the rain.

I asked the guy why he behaved like this to the Indians and that was he aware that they were now a fairly large percentage of tourists to Pattaya. His answer was that his boss had told him that no groups of Indians were allowed anywhere near the front of the bar. It did not look good and made customers stay away.

I then explained to him that I don't think his boss meant to move people on when there was a foot of water in Walking street and it was raining cats and dogs. Blank look.....

A bit different when it was a security guard who hit.

But still, it does seem like there is some racism here.

Edited by Rimmer

I must say I am surprised that anyone would want to kick an Indian. Any business dealings I have had with Indians have been thoroughly professional, pleasant and fair. Uh hum! rolleyes.gif

...come on....Thais hate Indians and have a special name for them....more unflattering than 'farang'...haven't you noticed Thais actually detest, resent and are jealous of any non-Thais...

• Like 2

many Thai stall holders will tell you to xxxx if you ask a price and dont buy immediately, they are pretty primitive although some are normal

Edited by angiud
profanity
  • Like 1

many Thai stall holders will tell you to fuc_k off if you ask a price and dont buy immediately, they are pretty primitive although some are normal

Wow, seems like things has changed in the city since I was there 5 years ago.

many Thai stall holders will tell you to fuc_k off if you ask a price and dont buy immediately, they are pretty primitive although some are normal

Yes some are bonkers and hostile. There is no doubt. If you don't behave as they desire, just buy any crap they have no matter what, even if you check it out and it's the wrong size for example, then you are the bad guy.

This is why Thailand is pushing for the quality tourist. This sort of thing tarnishes Thailand's reputation. If these people were quality tourists they wouldn't be shopping at market stalls they would be in Major Department stores shopping for designer items (made in India & Bangladesh). This incident would not have happened.thumbsup.gif

Inetresting, so your definition of quality if with regard to spending power and brand identification.. Rather sad.

This country has no perception regarding quality. Their whole operation is based on a conduit of cash as is most evident by the way they operate. For Thailand to stay as a practical and affordable tourist destination for many tourist the street vendors are an important part of the tourist equation and also spreading the wealth in this disfunctional country.

Major department stores are a plus but hardly a way of life for many who pass through.

This country is still in it's halcion days and does not know whether to spit, piss or go blind.

• Like 1

This is why Thailand is pushing for the quality tourist. This sort of thing tarnishes Thailand's reputation. If these people were quality tourists they wouldn't be shopping at market stalls they would be in Major Department stores shopping for designer items (made in India & Bangladesh). This incident would not have happened.thumbsup.gif

What a load of rubbish you talk. Rich people still go to markets. If Thailand wants the quality tourists that snobs like you bleat about, then it needs to start producing quality locals.

Nothing wrong with the quality of the locals, just that there's hardly any of them around! Pattaya attracts the dregs from Thailand and the rest of the world alike.

• Like 2

Yes some are bonkers and hostile. There is no doubt. If you don't behave as they desire, just buy any crap they have no matter what, even if you check it out and it's the wrong size for example, then you are the bad guy.

I have never experienced anything like that. But I tend to stay out of the cities though.

I have never experienced anything like that. But I tend to stay out of the cities though.

Talking Pattaya, mate.

even in India, soap and deoderant is readily available!

conclusion: u have been to india but didn't really understand it.

as far as "their culture" is concerned, there is no such thing as a homogeneous culture in a subcontinent like India.

pls don't generalise...

Edited by stickylies
  • Like 2

...come on....Thais hate Indians and have a special name for them....more unflattering than 'farang'...haven't you noticed Thais actually detest, resent and are jealous of any non-Thais...

It's true that Thais, for the most part, despise Indians - which is ironic given that at least 90% of Thai culture is derived from India. The trouble arises when they meet Indians who have a similar opinion of Thais. It would do them all well to remember the Thai phrase "Jai yen" - Cool heart.

• Like 1

Inetresting, so your definition of quality if with regard to spending power and brand identification.. Rather sad.

This country has no perception regarding quality. Their whole operation is based on a conduit of cash as is most evident by the way they operate. For Thailand to stay as a practical and affordable tourist destination for many tourist the street vendors are an important part of the tourist equation and also spreading the wealth in this disfunctional country.

Major department stores are a plus but hardly a way of life for many who pass through.

This country is still in it's halcion days and does not know whether to spit, piss or go blind.

My comment was tongue in cheek and my apologies. I actually put a smily on the end hoping people would understand that it was tongue in cheek however it seems to have offended many people on here. Again I apologise to all those offended.

• Like 1

Oh god racism is alive and well. Bet you would say the same if it was an Arab. There is no reason for violence anytime no excuse unless attacked yourself or one of your loved ones.

I agree with you regarding no reason for violence unless you or loved ones are attacked. I don't support racism, or any other discrimination. It's often easy to stereotype and generalize when talking about a particular nationality or perceived national trait. Not always correct but often on the mark.

However, first I think Kurnell's remark was tongue-in-cheek rather than a malicious slurr. Secondly, having lived and worked in India for several years, and having many close Indian friends, I can see why he's made the comment. Unfortunately some of the Indian behavourial traits can appear arrogant, rude, opinionated, aggressive and dishonest. Anyone who has done business in India will know the word "no" does not exist; they will also know few promises are kept, honouring a contractual agreement or standing by your word is regarded as optional, and payment of money is to be avoided as long as possible. Not making a judgement on this, just expressing the differences.

Am I generalizing, yes. Am I racist, no. Is this based on my empirical experiences over time, yes.

Have I met similar Europeans, North Americans, Asians and Aussies - absolutely. But the % of Indians that behave like this is much greater, based on my experiences.

I've never seen Thai street vendors launch an unprovoked attack. Something happend to spark it, and we don't know what yet.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

Of course vendors in Pattaya experience different cultural behaviors from different groups of tourists. However, the question here is whether these two tourists actually did something to reasonably JUSTIFY being VIOLENTLY assaulted by a gang of Thais. From an objective point of view, not street rules. I would bet not. In the case of actual criminal behavior of tourists towards vendors, not saying this happened here, the civilized response would be to hold them (not hard when you have a GANG supporting you) and call the police who in that location would be seconds away. So no matter how you cut it, the gang of Thai vendors acted like THUGS.

I agree that it sounds like they acted like thugs. Nothing justifies a violent assault except self defense. And I doubt the vendors can claim that here. (But who knows.)

Edited by Espen
  • Like 1

even in India, soap and deoderant is readily available!

conclusion: u have been to india but didn't really understand it.

as far as "their culture" is concerned, there is no such thing as a homogeneous culture in a subcontinent like India.

pls don't generalise...

Please don't split hairs either! Are you an expert on the regional, ethnic, social and religious cultural and behavourial differences in the Indian subcontinent? Have you researched commonality and differences in cultural based behaviour and the underlying reasons for them? If so, please share with us.

Which Thai PM once said: If you have an Indian on one side and a rattlesnake on the other side and you hold a stick in your hands, you will beat the Indian first?

Indians are disliked in Thailand, still till 20 years ago any self respecting condominium owner or business owner had Sikh security guards at his service and you could only make it over his death body. But the real reason for the dislike of Indians is of course that they form close communities, are with the Chinese controlling probably 80% of Thailand's wealth and they are known for holding their Thai employees in high regards.

• Like 1