Indian tourist punched and kicked outside South Pattaya shopping mall

webfact

Seems like there is much more to this story. I know Thais tend to dislike Indians, and they can be annoying, but have never known vendors to attack anyone without provocation.

This is a joke post yeah ?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nachiket raised the overall assumptions of Indians in the behavioural context.

The issue is unknown to what actually transpired however the poster that noted that he was watching the situation unfold has a pretty good idea. If the vendor has gone away the natural thing would be to ask another vendor about purchasing the item. The longer one has to wait the more irritable one may become and in a Thai context that is impolite for one's voice then gets louder demanding attention. Sure they wanted to buy it but were becoming impatient since no one is around. Whatever class of Indian they maybe for them time would certainly be a priority and other than that perhaps the discount. To get a discount is like getting a pat on the back even the case of 1baht. Sounds silly but it is the ethos of gettting a better deal than another. Sorry to note that the event turned out ugly but cultural differences tend to rear their ugly head when one has to argue or fight for something.

The only ugly heads that appear to have been raised because of cultural differences, are the Thai's.

In general terms, Thais are very prejudice with dark skin people. This kind of behavior is not unusual when you compare it to some Western countries 50...100 years ago. Thais are constantly reminded that the "lighter the skin" the better you are in the social class. One cannot help but find whiteners in shower gels, soaps, face cleansers, creams--the list goes on. Then when you see the advertisements or actors on Thai TV, they are lilly white, (whiter than I am). Hopefully in the future an open discussion in Thai media will question this attitude and the media industry will start showing dark skin people in most of the movies and television programs. True, many Indians come off in Pattaya as rude or "clueless" --but this is a cultural difference. If anyone has visited India, they would notice how one crowds around a sale counter instead of lining up, or the loudest voice gets the attention. Ones space is not a choice where you live in one of the most populated countries, so it is common for an Indian to rub right against you when in an elevator or standing. I would doubt that this Indian father and mother with their two kids were doing anything uncommon. Many times I have had to look for the clerk at a stall or even at Central in order to purchase something. We can all relate to this. For a "mob reaction" to start fighting with this visitor is unacceptable. I feel India should tell their new travelors outside their country to avoid Pattaya. Jet ski scams and negative attitudes here are not worth the hassle.

The problem with our (Indian) people is;

1] Mostly our womens are dark, fat and covered. In Pattaya it's exactly opposite. No need to say EYE POPPING for Indians. (i.e. my country people.)

2] We have limited fancy goods or articles. Thailand's market is flooded with Chinese goods. Again, EYE POPPING.

3] We always try to grab attention by speaking loudly and speak with hands. This is very disguise for others.

4] We have unnecessary learn to bargain everywhere, this is annoying for others.

5] If vendor says item is not for sale, we will ask loudly, "Why"?

6] We try to check things, even though we don't want to purchase. That blocks next customer of the vendors. And indeed very annoying.

7] Spitting habit is at it's worse in India.

List is very long. Govt. and travel agent must make them aware before leaving India.

I too several time ask my fellow people to behave properly, and they argue with me, "What am I doing wrong"?

Sorry to say this, but I'm having doubts that you are actually Indian.

I am not sure if you criticizing or appreciating me. But, those points I made is of low educated people and not for of well qualified.

This is why Thailand is pushing for the quality tourist. This sort of thing tarnishes Thailand's reputation. If these people were quality tourists they wouldn't be shopping at market stalls they would be in Major Department stores shopping for designer items (made in India & Bangladesh). This incident would not have happened.thumbsup.gif

just to say that i stayed in the mecure in hau hin and friends mine stayed at the manderin oriental we have both been the chat a chat market so are we back packers or upmarket tourist as a phycologist in market reseach yourself please let me know your opion

Nachiket raised the overall assumptions of Indians in the behavioural context.

The issue is unknown to what actually transpired however the poster that noted that he was watching the situation unfold has a pretty good idea. If the vendor has gone away the natural thing would be to ask another vendor about purchasing the item. The longer one has to wait the more irritable one may become and in a Thai context that is impolite for one's voice then gets louder demanding attention. Sure they wanted to buy it but were becoming impatient since no one is around. Whatever class of Indian they maybe for them time would certainly be a priority and other than that perhaps the discount. To get a discount is like getting a pat on the back even the case of 1baht. Sounds silly but it is the ethos of gettting a better deal than another. Sorry to note that the event turned out ugly but cultural differences tend to rear their ugly head when one has to argue or fight for something.

An Indian couple, who were enjoying their first ever trip to Thailand...

Let me clear some point. Main post said they are travelling abroad first time ever. (This I assumed because Thailand visit is first ever foreign trip for most of the Indians)

Just can't explain because it's beyond words. Nobody is wrong there according to my point of view.

Those all points I raised was according to my 7-8 years observations between Thai's and Indian's.

As, I can understand both side (Thai communication and Indian style as well), I know and I can see clear picture and can imagine what would have had happened there.

Edited by nachiket

I dont know why anyone would be surprised that anyone and i stress anyone be they Indian / Russian/ Australian/ Chinese etc is assaulted for very little reason or provocation in Thailand.

Thais rarely face any penalty for this sort of behaviour and they know it.

Now if they were made accountable for their actions then maybe there would be fewer of these incidents.

And Pattaya has some of the rudest street vendors, songtaew drivers, service staff etc who given the chance to bash someone for nothing will be straight in there especially when the odds are so stacked in their favour. ie overwhelming strength of numbers and police who couldnt care a less if a tourist is attacked, bashed maimed or killed because they all know there is another plane load coming in real soon.

• Like 1

Any nation which loves cricket can't be all bad!

Are you a cricket fan? Do you know it? I am happy to read this word in Thailand.

I almost forget cricket in Thailand.

Thanks for reminisce.

• Like 1

This is why Thailand is pushing for the quality tourist. This sort of thing tarnishes Thailand's reputation. If these people were quality tourists they wouldn't be shopping at market stalls they would be in Major Department stores shopping for designer items (made in India & Bangladesh). This incident would not have happened.thumbsup.gif

What a load of rubbish you talk. Rich people still go to markets. If Thailand wants the quality tourists that snobs like you bleat about, then it needs to start producing quality locals.

Well Pattaya's idea of a tourist attraction seems to be mostly traffic choking markets selling cheap plastic crap... every other week one is set up on one of the main roads. I guess that stall holder was not in the haggling mood that day, or thought someone was trying to sell him a suit.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

Any nation which loves cricket can't be all bad!

Are you a cricket fan? Do you know it? I am happy to read this word in Thailand.

I almost forget cricket in Thailand.

Thanks for reminisce.

Yep, looking forward to putting the Aussies in their place with another Ashes thrashing this summer... after having handed you the ICC World Cup!

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

In general terms, Thais are very prejudice with dark skin people. This kind of behavior is not unusual when you compare it to some Western countries 50...100 years ago. Thais are constantly reminded that the "lighter the skin" the better you are in the social class. One cannot help but find whiteners in shower gels, soaps, face cleansers, creams--the list goes on. Then when you see the advertisements or actors on Thai TV, they are lilly white, (whiter than I am). Hopefully in the future an open discussion in Thai media will question this attitude and the media industry will start showing dark skin people in most of the movies and television programs. True, many Indians come off in Pattaya as rude or "clueless" --but this is a cultural difference. If anyone has visited India, they would notice how one crowds around a sale counter instead of lining up, or the loudest voice gets the attention. Ones space is not a choice where you live in one of the most populated countries, so it is common for an Indian to rub right against you when in an elevator or standing. I would doubt that this Indian father and mother with their two kids were doing anything uncommon. Many times I have had to look for the clerk at a stall or even at Central in order to purchase something. We can all relate to this. For a "mob reaction" to start fighting with this visitor is unacceptable. I feel India should tell their new travelors outside their country to avoid Pattaya. Jet ski scams and negative attitudes here are not worth the hassle.

1] Mostly our womens are dark, fat and covered. In Pattaya it's exactly opposite. No need to say EYE POPPING for Indians. (i.e. my country people.)

2] We have limited fancy goods or articles. Thailand's market is flooded with Chinese goods. Again, EYE POPPING.

3] We always try to grab attention by speaking loudly and speak with hands. This is very disguise for others.

4] We have unnecessary learn to bargain everywhere, this is annoying for others.

6] We try to check things, even though we don't want to purchase. That blocks next customer of the vendors. And indeed very annoying.

List is very long. Govt. and travel agent must make them aware before leaving India.

I too several time ask my fellow people to behave properly, and they argue with me, "What am I doing wrong"?

I am not sure if you criticizing or appreciating me. But, those points I made is of low educated people and not for of well qualified.

I'm doing neither.

So, what you are saying that is relative to this thread....Indians travelling abroad are low educated people, not well qualified and possess points 1-7 that you made?

I presume you are referring to those people as the main Thailand tourists as you say, quote;

As an Indian, I would like to say, the way we speak or the tone we use while speaking, no matter how politely or gently we try to speak or what we are speaking is mostly rude for Thai's or for those who speak softly.

I have experienced it and learn to speak softly after staying 7-8 years here.

Maybe this is the clause for provocation for kicking and punching.

Yes, Thais get offended very easy, especially by behavior that elsewhere is just considered disagreement or difference of opinion. They are sensitive people!

• Like 2

I'm doing neither.

So, what you are saying that is relative to this thread....Indians travelling abroad are low educated people, not well qualified and possess points 1-7 that you made?

I presume you are referring to those people as the main Thailand tourists as you say, quote;

Let me clear you some facts. So, you will have clear picture of what have had happened in Pattaya.

2-3 month's, income of an averagely educated person in India is enough to travel to Thailand.

In india if you are coming from very good family, or if you are holding professional degree (or masters in case of non professional degree), or if you are surrounded by well qualified and good friends, if you deny class and caste system, than you are very good.

Else, my 7 point post is enough to understand rest of the things.

• Like 1

As an Indian, I would like to say, the way we speak or the tone we use while speaking, no matter how politely or gently we try to speak or what we are speaking is mostly rude for Thai's or for those who speak softly.

I have experienced it and learn to speak softly after staying 7-8 years here.

Maybe this is the clause for provocation for kicking and punching.

Yes, Thais get offended very easy, especially by behavior that elsewhere is just considered disagreement or difference of opinion. They are sensitive people!

Pleeease nachiket stop putting down Indians and being a Thai apologist.

Speaking loudly is no excuse to be kicked and punched.....no matter who or where you are!

Okay, I am sorry.

Maybe I have posted a lot today.

My apology. smile.pngwai2.gif

Edited by nachiket

Seems like there is much more to this story. I know Thais tend to dislike Indians, and they can be annoying, but have never known vendors to attack anyone without provocation.

Well I have !! was shopping with wife and went to one of the stalls at the front of mike shopping and ask for prices , and said thankyou and went to another stall to see their products, the first stall owner started to yell at us for not buying from him , he was ready for a fight so we walked away . Not saying all Thai people are like this , just some .

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of Indians in Pattaya. I hate their dismissive attitude towards the locals and it infuriates me when i see a pack of them all crowding around a single Thai girl trying to get a group discount.

However i have also been on the wrong end of mob violence in Pattaya where i was savagely beaten by a group of Thai security guards outside a Walking St a go go after i complained inside that they were charging me for drinks i had not had. I have lived here long enough to know how to complain to Thais without them losing face but this lot were savage.

I'm not saying the Indian couple were innocent but it doesn't take much for a Thai mob to go into action against non Thais.

• Like 2

quite true. I was using just a touch of sarcasm.

I wonder what is a snob like you doing on a free forum. Why dont you take ur utter non-sense to a paid only forum , where you will find more snobs and show-offs like yourself.

Looks like a lot of ppl didn`t get your post chooka. cheesy.gif

Irony and sarcasm, even wit leaves some standing in the dust. Best leave them there in their self righteousness .

• Like 1

Some Racist and profane posts removed.

If you can not post on here without resorting to either of the above then you are on the wrong forum.

what a completley stupid post,,how old are you,,,your embarrasing yourself,,

must asked for stupid discount

Yes that's true, i used to go to Pratunam and the way they bargain either make the vendors sick or good for a laugh....price 100 baht and they bargain to 20 baht.cheesy.gif ...or they ask to look at almost every item but not buying at the end,,,,I am not saying every Indian does it but at Pratunam most do it..bah.gif

That's VERY true for Indians smile.png We love to bargain! Doesn't matter if the Indian is rich or poor. Doesn't matter if its low valued or high valued item.

And often we begin by counter-offering for 30% less tongue.png

Edited by sunnyk
  • Like 1

Well I have !! was shopping with wife and went to one of the stalls at the front of mike shopping and ask for prices , and said thankyou and went to another stall to see their products, the first stall owner started to yell at us for not buying from him , he was ready for a fight so we walked away . Not saying all Thai people are like this , just some .

wow! didn't knew they can get so much pissed off just by that! I would avoid any street vendors as now I know that they hate Indians even more.

I'm doing neither.

Nice list, Spot on! I It's easy for an avg middle income or even middle-low income Indian having all the above traits to come to Thailand. Last year in Kolkata airport when I was visiting for the first time, I was surprised even people from small areas/villages were goint tog (pattaya) like if its some other city in India! Some were going for the first time just for some night fun.

I strongly agree for 1,2,6,7 points. I see even rich educated people have spiting habits.

Edited by sunnyk
  • Like 1

Nice list, Spot on! I It's easy for an avg middle income or even middle-low income Indian having all the above traits to come to Thailand. Last year in Kolkata airport when I was visiting for the first time, I was surprised even people from small areas/villages were goint tog (pattaya) like if its some other city in India! Some were going for the first time just for some night fun.

I strongly agree for 1,2,6,7 points. I see even rich educated people have spiting habits.

Kolkata airport is flooded with low class travelers. Mostly they come to trade TV, cloths and several fancy Chinese goods.

While staying in Thailand, they believe worst than in India.

The way they look towards Thai women, shame on them.

• Like 1

Mate,regardless,they shouldn't have been attacked by the mob.

quite true. I was using just a touch of sarcasm.

either ways : whatever you're saying - not at all cool !

I have apologised now 4 times. Again I am sorry for offending people

• Like 1

what a completley stupid post,,how old are you,,,your embarrasing yourself,,

Apology number 6 I am sorry for offending people. My deepest apology to all for my comment that I posted in jest. sorry, sorry sorry. I am man enough to say sorry for the offence I have caused so why can't people just accept one apology?

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1