Third foreigner arrested in Phuket anti-overstay campaign

webfact

Third farang arrested in Phuket anti-overstay campaign
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1373011385_1.jpg
Jasso with Immigration officials after his arrest this morning.

PHUKET: -- As part of a concentrated two-week drive to find and arrest foreigners overstaying in Phuket, Immigration Police this morning arrested another Briton for being in Thailand long after his permit to stay expired.

Immigration officials have been combing through records and identifying foreigners whose names appear in the computer as having arrived in Thailand but who do not appear as having left before the expiration of their permit to stay. Undercover officers are then going out and finding them.

This week a Canadian was arrested on Monday and a Briton on Tuesday.

Today it was the turn of another British citizen, Andrew Ross John Jasso, 33, found to have overstayed by three months in Thailand case.

Police did not have to go far to find him; he was arrested in front of the Phuket library at 9:30 am. The library is about 200 metres from the Phuket Immigration offices.

An Immigration officer told The Phuket News, “He had been working for a boatbuilding company in Chalong, but the owner closed the business and went back to Britain. Jasso stayed, living in a hotel in Phuket Town.

“This is not the first time he has overstayed. He was arrested before at Phuket International Airport for the same thing.

“We have handed him over to Phuket Town Police Station for more questioning.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/third-farang-arrested-in-phuket-anti-overstay-campaign-40681.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-07-05

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Immigration officials have been combing through records and identifying foreigners whose names appear in the computer as having arrived in Thailand but who do not appear as having left before the expiration of their permit to stay.

Duh. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Three overstays in two weeks.

either there are very few over stays in Phuket or they were not trying hard to locate them.

I wonder if the bar codes have any thing to do with finding them,

for that matter I wonder what they are for in the first place.

• Like 1

Another major criminal arrest. Amazing.

Sorry, but I live in Southern California and they catch hundreds of Mexican illegals per day. This would hardly be newsworthy.

Obviously they are just trying to scare people into not overstaying.

Can't see why they would parade a farang before the cameras like this as though they just busted a major narcotics ring

Let's not forget about the thousands upon thousands of Thai staying in the West illegally.

Sorry, but I live in Southern California and they catch hundreds of Mexican illegals per day. This would hardly be newsworthy.

Can't see why they would parade a farang before the cameras like this as though they just busted a major narcotics ring

True, the only things these non functioning government workers make is that they are for hire by the local Mafia. Yesterday they arrested tour guides, the day before Russians and today overstayers. They seem to have one thing in common. They are working.

Let's not forget about the thousands upon thousands of Thai staying in the West illegally.

Source?

Can't get enough evidence to convict a killer, but can successfully track down foreigners with a few months overstay. Unreal.

Murderers caught on tape killing someone and allowed to go free because it was a buddhist holiday and he needed to visit the temple.

Source?

LOL... You're joking right?

I can think of a litany of things that would be 100 times more important for the police to be doing instead of this "grandstanding b.s.".

Yep but they wouldn't be doing them anyway so better they take care of a few overstays rather than do nothing at all.

• Like 1

Or perhaps the point is that this is now the third overstayer that has been arrested. Perhaps the days of it is "no big deal" are coming to an end. Or maybe not but something to bear in mind is all.

• Like 2

I can think of a litany of things that would be 100 times more important for the police to be doing instead of this "grandstanding b.s.".

Maybe. On the other hand, there is a recent thread on TV about immigration, that they should do something about the illegals. So to some this is important.

Edited by stevenl