Third foreigner arrested in Phuket anti-overstay campaign

webfact

why do these dills get themselves into the overstay scenario, got me beat

I suppose it was always easier than doing the right thing. hey know how much it will cost them when they leave which they accept and little else happens to them so no problem. Now it appears the rules might be being enforced.

I don't know if it is an affordability issue, or laziness.

Anyway, I've met a few overstayers. One guy, up north, was an overstay by 7 years. Never been in trouble with police, pays his bills and looks after his Thai wife and a couple of her kids to a previous marriage.

What can you say? He's breaking the law, and I have to do visa runs, but good luck to him. To each their own.

I'm legal, but I see it for what it is, just another money making industry from farang.

• Like 1

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overstay??? Beats me. Why it happens. It beats me also why they want to over stay in a corrupt country like Thailand? Foreigners only have the right to shut up and pay. There are many Chinese and Burmese in this country, but the immigration do not go after them.... Why? I hope they get rid of most Europeans. The Chinese will build this land.

Guess you are not up and out that much. I see immigration deporting Cambodians on a regular basis. They fill up the truck and take them back. Of course 2 days later they are back!

Every Burmese I've met in Thailand lives in utter terror that they'll be caught and repatriated, because that'd mean a long spell in Insein Prison. Or worse.

I suppose it was always easier than doing the right thing. hey know how much it will cost them when they leave which they accept and little else happens to them so no problem. Now it appears the rules might be being enforced.

Anyway, I've met a few overstayers. One guy, up north, was an overstay by 7 years. Never been in trouble with police, pays his bills and looks after his Thai wife and a couple of her kids to a previous marriage.

What can you say? He's breaking the law, and I have to do visa runs, but good luck to him. To each their own.

I'm legal, but I see it for what it is, just another money making industry from farang.

Finally, a sensible post. I agree 100%.smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Edited by Shot

Finally, a sensible post. I agree 100%.smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

So, post number 3076 is the only sensible post I have ever made. Gee, that's a bit harsh, Shot. :) :)

there is so much more to this story including the very first contact with the officer concerned, the reason for his appearance, his questions and those individuals that called the officer..(these were scooter rental people by the way !)

It really doesn't matter if it was a motorcycle rental shop who notified immigration. The fact remains that he broke the law by overstaying his visa by 3 months. You'll never be able to convince me this was an accident caused by forgetfulness or confusion about policy.

I'd like to point out that I'm generally not a rigid law and order type, but as has been pointed out by others on this thread, the overstayers put the rest of us in a bad light, and will possibly make staying legal more cumbersome.

Maybe the motor cycle renters had his passport and wouldn't give it back because they were trying to scam him so he couldn't leave the country.

Who knows the real reasons!

You are so much closer to the truth but I'm not going to say 'Who, What Where & How' all those involved played their games....coffee1.gif

Oh so I see, you're just talking and don't really know. Figured as much.

In any case it doesn't matter. Fact is he was on overstay, sure there are reasons why someone can end up on over stay, are they valid reasons? Not sure, guess you would have to look at them case by case. Can it be avoided? sure! 3 months overstay no excuse whatsoever. I will admit that I have been living in Thailand for 13 years and working in Thailand for almost 20 years. I have been on overstay a few times. All of them are my fault nobody else to blame!

Anyway, your trying to say there is a different story and we are all wrong, that is the BS, we are correct as he was on overstay nobody to blame but himself. Of course you're not going to tell us the real story because it will show he's an idiot for overstaying or like I said you don't really know.

• Like 1

Another major criminal arrest. Amazing.

Sorry, but I live in Southern California and they catch hundreds of Mexican illegals per day. This would hardly be newsworthy.

Obviously they are just trying to scare people into not overstaying.

Can't see why they would parade a farang before the cameras like this as though they just busted a major narcotics ring

Let's not forget about the thousands upon thousands of Thai staying in the West illegally.

Really and where have you ascertained that piece of unsupported data from?

It is true. Los Angeles has the 2nd biggest Thai population outside of Thailand and is home to the worlds only "Thai Town". Many Thais come to LA, ostensibly to study or open a business. Most come through legal channels and some of them overstay their visa. I personally know quite a few who have overstayed. They spend their whole life looking over their shoulder, and they can't go home because they know they won't be allowed back for 5 years. US immigration is really cracking down on the "threats" like Cambodians and Germans, while the Mexican border is wide open. It's a joke.

• Like 1

“This is not the first time he has overstayed. He was arrested before at Phuket International Airport for the same thing.

Maybe its time to institute a three strikes rule

Whatever.  Go join the Thai farang police force, I think they are looking for applicants.

The guy overstayed by 3 months and they sent out undercover officers to find him? Posted Image Like these numb nuts don't have anything better to do. Jesus. Scams operating everywhere you look in the stank island and they're worried about this? They should be downright ashamed to have their photo taken for this 'bust'.

Numb nuts? Isnt that what immigration are paid for? If there were so many foreigners disregarding the rules in Australia as there are in Phuket, the general public would be whipped up into a frenzy

How come I didn't get the photo to send home to my local newspaper when I got done for overstay? That's no fair! Waaaahhh waaaahhh waaaaaaaaah

What a huge success ! This represent 0,000,000,2 per cent of the 12,000,000 tourists recorded at the airport . This deserve this ridiculous picture.

Police should put its energy to arrest tuk/tuk taxi and jetski scammers which are a plague for the island.

“This is not the first time he has overstayed. He was arrested before at Phuket International Airport for the same thing.

Maybe its time to institute a three strikes rule

Whatever. Go join the Thai farang police force, I think they are looking for applicants.

The guy overstayed by 3 months and they sent out undercover officers to find him? clap2.gif Like these numb nuts don't have anything better to do. Jesus. Scams operating everywhere you look in the stank island and they're worried about this? They should be downright ashamed to have their photo taken for this 'bust'.

Numb nuts? Isnt that what immigration are paid for? If there were so many foreigners disregarding the rules in Australia as there are in Phuket, the general public would be whipped up into a frenzy

In Australia a total of 76,940 people over-stayed their visa during the five years from 2007 to June 2012

Edited by simple1

They still look like family photo from mom's album. Everyone smile for the camera.

I know that same feeling mine was the same - Why do they takes these pics in the first place and then why do they publish them?

If you want to excoriate me for overstay due to not leaving my wife's side as she lay in hospital near death, go ahead.

They'd just changed the visa rules and embassy staff in Laos that week and were claiming you needed proof of onward travel, no exceptions. We'd dumped all the cash on hospital bills.

Once the medical drama was over, I sorted my overstay.

You are aware that you could have gotten a medical extension for taking care of your wife.

2.25 In the case of medical treatment or convalescence or to look after a patient:

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 90 days at a time.

(1) Confirmation and request has been made by a physician responsible for the treatment. The Physician must describe the details of treatment and advised that the illness is a barrier for travelling.

(2) In the case of looking after a patient, confirmation and request has been made by the physician responsible for the treatment or by an embassy or consulate.

(3) Patient Carer, except parents, spouse, children, adopted children or children of spouse, shall be granted no more than 1 extra person.

You have to look at this in a different light.

When you arrive in Thailand you must immediately assume that because you are from Europe then all these 'silly' laws about visas' and the law of Thailand doesn't apply to you as a white officer with black privates to Kow-Tow you.. Then when you are back in UK you can join in with all the other lot complaining about the number of people in UK who are there without legal visas or reasons to stay.

In all honesty these sad losers really p-ss me off with the attitude they have regarding overstay.

Thailand does not need them or want them and rightly so. The end end result of the actions of these f--kwits serves only to cause the people who, want to and do do it propery, hassle from the Thai Authorities who are only doing their job.

As in UK, ignorance of the law is no excuse.

These guys know exactly what law they are breaking and then illicit sympathy from other posters on the forum who are most likely in the same situation but haven't been caught yet.

No sympathy.

Sorry overherebc, but I would have to disagree with your line: "As in UK, ignorance of the law is no excuse", unless the immigration laws have changed recently in UK. The laws with regards to immigration are exploited every day by literally thousands.

If the police are conducting checks for legal foreign workers, and they find someone suspicious, their hands are tied if they cannot find the suspect's passport! They will be taken and processed, but the worst that will happen is that the suspect will have to report to the UK Border centre once a week.

They cannot be deported without the passport! Actually that comment is probably untrue, a better way of putting it would be that it is too expensive to deport said suspect. The site reference below was updated in March this year, it makes for interesting reading.................thumbsup.gif

http://immigrationmatters.co.uk/deporting-illegal-immigrants-cost-uk-100-million-a-year.html

Sorry for the detour, back to topic.................wink.png

Overstay??? Beats me. Why it happens. It beats me also why they want to over stay in a corrupt country like Thailand? Foreigners only have the right to shut up and pay. There are many Chinese and Burmese in this country, but the immigration do not go after them.... Why? I hope they get rid of most Europeans. The Chinese will build this land.

Guess you are not up and out that much. I see immigration deporting Cambodians on a regular basis. They fill up the truck and take them back. Of course 2 days later they are back!

I would also advise a visit to Mai Sot and count the number of Burmese sent back on a daily basis from the holding center.

For what is worth, it may happend to any of us, it did to me in 48 hours back in 2003, I lost : gf, job, appartment. Took me some month to go up enought to afford a trip to the border!

On the other hand, if you are honest there is way to handle it. In my case, when it happened, I made a trip to Polpet, and the day after went to Immigration in North Satorn to explain my situation (that I have invested my last baths in that trip and that I will have some difficulties to do another one in 3 month, so what would be my options to avoid infamy and return as a looser in my contry).

The fact I am still alive and kicking as today in Phuket (working for a monthly salary with 6 digits) is the living proof there is solutions others than go back home as a looser (but it is the safest in most case), or hiding and whoring whiel waiting the MIB to catch you.

For those what have legitimate reasons to be in that problem (you boss this morning say business close, and left you stranded), I would suggest (assuming you never had any problems in the past) to simply walk tall to the immigration office, and have a chat.

Also, before some laught at what I wrote, older posters here (such as Dr Patpong) would certainly remenber me, adn will confirm the veracity of my sayings.

Also, before some laught at what I wrote, older posters here (such as Dr Patpong) would certainly remenber me, adn will confirm the veracity of my sayings.

That won't be easy, since you have only been a member here for 3 years. Unless of course you were a member under a different name :)

• 3 weeks later...

The BIB didn't call a press conference, if there is a picture it's because the Phuket News photog wanted one.

Blame Phuket News and TV for making a mountain out of a molehill.

But I read in a national newspaper that the Thai Police say that these photo shoots and "crime reenactments" are a vital part of their investigative process.

• 2 weeks later...

Another major criminal arrest. Amazing.

Sorry, but I live in Southern California and they catch hundreds of Mexican illegals per day. This would hardly be newsworthy.

Obviously they are just trying to scare people into not overstaying.

Can't see why they would parade a farang before the cameras like this as though they just busted a major narcotics ring

Let's not forget about the thousands upon thousands of Thai staying in the West illegally.
It is true. Los Angeles has the 2nd biggest Thai population outside of Thailand and is home to the worlds only "Thai Town". Many Thais come to LA, ostensibly to study or open a business. Most come through legal channels and some of them overstay their visa. I personally know quite a few who have overstayed. They spend their whole life looking over their shoulder, and they can't go home because they know they won't be allowed back for 5 years. US immigration is really cracking down on the "threats" like Cambodians and Germans, while the Mexican border is wide open. It's a joke.

So 'personally knowing of a few' who have stayed illegally equates to 'thousands upon thousands' of illegal Thais in which particular sampling methodology?

So 'personally knowing of a few' who have stayed illegally equates to 'thousands upon thousands' of illegal Thais in which particular sampling methodology?

Why do you think Thais, amongst some other country nationals, are stringently vetted for visas in most Western countries? It's because immigration has identified Thais as high risk for overstay based upon statistical data. e.g. Australia has identified Thai nationals as a high risk for overstay/illegal workers and are subject to additional scrutiny for visa approval as documented on the immigration website

Why do you think Thais, amongst some other country nationals, are stringently vetted for visas in most Western countries? It's because immigration has identified Thais as high risk for overstay based upon statistical data. e.g. Australia has identified Thai nationals as a high risk for overstay/illegal workers and are subject to additional scrutiny for visa approval as documented on the immigration website

Yes, that's very nice, but I'm still not seeing any evidence. By the same logic, I could say that the poor treatment of farang in Thailand is proof that they're wrong and evil.

Yes, that's very nice, but I'm still not seeing any evidence. By the same logic, I could say that the poor treatment of farang in Thailand is proof that they're wrong and evil.

Don't understand the comment in relation to my post of "wrong and evil". Don't know about other countries, but as of 12/2011, 1,860 Thais overstaying in Australia. Largest number was 7,930 Chinese, I assume mainly ex students/illegal workers.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/wear-out-welcome/story-e6freuy9-1226438043184