A Proper Reward

Hi Guys,

I have started an English club once a week in my school. The students are doing great and I want to reward them with certificates for their endeavors.

However, I can't find any decent paper. Its either A4 normal or card type stuff which cheapens the feel and look.

In my own country I can buy cotton mix paper with indentations and even watermarks if I need them. Does anyody know where I can get some decent certificate paper. I have tried all the local stationery shops but no joy.

Any advice ? Can I order paper online perhaps ?

Thanks in advance. wai.gif

Sorry for being facetious. I actually don't know where you would get the paper, but I must admit, I am interested in finding out. By the way, where are you located? Bangkok?

Be aware that some colleagues such as Thai head teachers wouldn't like it when you "award" them. Went through that a few years ago and threw my' awards' for them away in the end.

Ask them before. Good luck.-wai2.gif

I would be surprised if B2S didn't have a selection of good paper. I have bought it here in Chiang Mai for them. I try to get something heavier than the standard 80 weight. I like something a little less than card stock.

For a special extra curricula event, this award is nice and I would disregard the warning above. However for most classroom stuff, you should always talk to the class head teacher or academic director before giving awards. Some schools have policies on awards and certificates and their is a proper system where certain signatures are needed. Also be careful if you make a humorous award. They might not get the joke and get very upset.

I would be surprised if B2S didn't have a selection of good paper. I have bought it here in Chiang Mai for them. I try to get something heavier than the standard 80 weight. I like something a little less than card stock.

For a special extra curricula event, this award is nice and I would disregard the warning above. However for most classroom stuff, you should always talk to the class head teacher or academic director before giving awards. Some schools have policies on awards and certificates and their is a proper system where certain signatures are needed. Also be careful if you make a humorous award. They might not get the joke and get very upset.

I agree, check with the head first. Some teachers started giving rewards to students last year. I update them each week on their progress and rankings - usually just giving the TOP 10 to avoid embarrassment for the lower achievers. The top three in each class will get a certificate at the end of semester 1, while at the end of semester 2 I have certificate for most improved students as well. The certificates act as great motivators for most students. Just get a color printer and some good glossy paper. That's all that is needed.

Edited by Scott

It is difficult to get this kind of paper used for issueing degrees. I guess in the hope to stop people just printing off fake degrees that they can photo shop. Just buy photo style paper and with a good printer and the students will be happy.

Edited by Eddy B

• 4 weeks later...

A colleague of mine offers this advice teaching in Thailand. 'Your not here to come up with ideas, know anything, say anything or do anything except teach ESL.'

You'll make yourself unpopular with the Thai teachers and that's your allotment.

Sad but true :(

• Like 1

I just made up quite a few student award certificates for kids who participated in our school's Science Day. I forwarded them to Admin so that they could choose the best paper for printing. Their response was to add the student's full names to the certificates, as awards with just their English nicknames would not help with their academic resumes.

Sirchai's awards may have been removed for that reason.