Fried chicken takeaway called 'Hitler' opens in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll repeat what I said in comments I did on other instances of Hitler-themes stuff in Thailand: it is just for LOLz !!

Totally ridiculous, this stuff is not promoting Hitler's ideas or legacy, it ridicules him!

• Like 2

it's the education system. I don't think these people actually admire Hitler but it's possible the school history syllabus didn't cover what he did and the millions he murdered.

At least the chicken is pretty good...

I think the point is they don't care what he did. (In reality neither do I, and neither did Prince Harry of the UK, and the uniforms look pretty snappy)
I'm sorry, but are you really saying you don't care what hitler did?
Don't care at all, nor do I care what Genghis Khan, Slobodan Milosevic, Stalin, the Japanese, the IRA, Pol Pot, et al did.

It's in the past, forgive and forget.

You might have added learn to your statement.

That way it is harder to repeat.

• Like 1

I for one am glad its opened. Its a great source of ammunition when Thais get all wobbly lipped and 'outraged' about some artwork in a distant land that the great Thai cultural committee has deemed disrespectful to buddhism.

It would be a sure fire success in Iran.

Edit

I just realized they no longer have that Idiot for a leader.

Have no idea on what the new one believes or how many idiots bought into the last leader. You know the guy who said there was no such thing as the 6,000,000 Jews killed in gas chambers by the Nazis.

Also there is no gay people in Iran.

Edited by hellodolly

To close the topic we ought to have a topic on this subject---Is it sick or not to name the shop Hitler ??? just a vote of posters would give us a real per cent. I suggest Sick would win easily.

All this u-boat/pearl harbour/war camps---most are aware of it all, without arguing.

I don't want to extend this theme too far but I disagree, I believe far too many posters are not "aware of it all", otherwise we wouldn't be having such an empassioned debate, one only has to look at some of the things being posted to see that is true.

right another perspective who is offended by this then..hands up ?

http://chairman-maos-chicken.xanga.com/

• Like 1

To close the topic we ought to have a topic on this subject---Is it sick or not to name the shop Hitler ??? just a vote of posters would give us a real per cent. I suggest Sick would win easily.

All this u-boat/pearl harbour/war camps---most are aware of it all, without arguing.

I don't want to extend this theme too far but I disagree, I believe far too many posters are not "aware of it all", otherwise we wouldn't be having such an empassioned debate, one only has to look at some of the things being posted to see that is true.

Try asking the Chinese who were present or had relatives affected by his rule, preferably face to face if you man enough to see whose hands would be where

• Like 1

Since much of the divide in this thread is between Brits and Americans, here's a site that'll help put things into perspective for both sides perhaps:

http://www.bombsight.org/#15/51.5086/-0.0904

It's a map of the streets of London showing how many German bombs fell where during WWII, perhaps the Americans in this thread might pause and reflect how they might feel if the map were say New York, Boston, Miami, Denver or similar.

• Like 2

Mao is still on the currency of China and he killed more people than Hitler (if you want to look at history in these childishly simplistic ways) but everyone still wants their made in China iPhones. It's westerners who need to get over their obsession with Hitler, not Thais.

What's childishly simplistic about harboring disdain for genocide? Humans are a pretty vicious species and always will be, no reason to pretend otherwise, I get that. But there's no good reason to celebrate it, either.

Still, my objection with this has more to do with what passes for inventive these days. People have a tendency of going too far, all for shock value: what once was detestable now passes for edgy marketing. It's rather formulaic at this point.

"People have a tendency of going too far, all for shock value"

Thailand: The 'Madonna' of Nations

Would love to see a bunch of irate German tourists torch the place and places like it. Perhaps Thais will get the hint that this is not appropriate in a country heavily relying on foreign tourism. Thailand doesn't have much once it stuffs it's rice export and tourism industries.

Would love to see a bunch of irate German tourists torch the place and places like it. Perhaps Thais will get the hint that this is not appropriate in a country heavily relying on foreign tourism. Thailand doesn't have much once it stuffs it's rice export and tourism industries.

what rice export industry?

A bad joke on Holocaust deleted. Some more posts borderline to be deleted because offensive, aggressive, flaming, etc.

So folks, behave due to the 'hot' topic, or we'll close the thread.

Granted, I only read the first of 5 pages here, but why is no one really offended by this?

Don't get me wrong, I understand Thailand. I can actually say with a straight face that I understand about 80% of Thai culture (speak, read the language, been here for 10 years, married with kids, etc.), but at some point you have to throw your hands up and (lose face,) get upset.

Have you all lost your minds or you just don't give a sh*t anymore?

It's in poor taste, yes. Now please answer the question I posed to you in post #46. Does this offend you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZVk21Pco-c

If images of mass murders are acceptable, where do you draw the line?

Edited by aTomsLife
  • Like 1

Granted, I only read the first of 5 pages here, but why is no one really offended by this?

Don't get me wrong, I understand Thailand. I can actually say with a straight face that I understand about 80% of Thai culture (speak, read the language, been here for 10 years, married with kids, etc.), but at some point you have to throw your hands up and (lose face,) get upset.

Have you all lost your minds or you just don't give a sh*t anymore?

I think if you read again, you'll find a lot of people have been offended by this marketing ploy.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of this restaurant. You should never forget the past. You should learn from it. And promoting this nut job in anyway is not good.

I'm hoping it's they just don't really understand history. It's kinda like the Che Guevara t-shirts the teens wear. They have no idea who this person really was. Just something neat to wear.

• Like 1

If a cafe called Uncle Joe's opened with a pic of Stalin it would not raise an eyebrow. Luckily the Thais have not been infected with the Western guilt that the Zionists like to inflict, so they can get away with their own genocide in Palestine.

Wouldn't raise an eyebrow? I'm guessing if Uncle Joe's opened in Pattaya at the very least a few Russians might have something to say about it.

Thais protested in Germany over an image of Buddha just last week, so guilt or no, they've got their lines drawn in the sand too.

As for Palestine, off topic, but many, many nations and their citizens are aghast at what Israel is doing there.

I should be offended, but as an iconoclast I find myself smirking. I would observe that the plausible deniability that Thais have virtue of being civilization's bumpkins with no awareness of world history allows them more slack than other nationalities might receive. I trust however a univeral ISO standard for being thick skinned will apply to all in future, whether on the giving or receiving end.

• Like 2

If a cafe called Uncle Joe's opened with a pic of Stalin it would not raise an eyebrow. Luckily the Thais have not been infected with the Western guilt that the Zionists like to inflict, so they can get away with their own genocide in Palestine.

It is not "Zionist guilt" or Zionist anything to be appalled by the holocaust or any genocide. As for going into a cafe with stalins image promoting it, no I wouldn't. The man was evil.

This article is from the Daily Mail. There is an article about the Holocaust in that paper every week without fail ! Why?

• Like 1

I should be offended, but as an iconoclast I find myself smirking. I would observe that the plausible deniability that Thais have virtue of being civilization's bumpkins with no awareness of world history allows them more slack than other nationalities might receive. I trust however a univeral ISO standard for being thick skinned will apply to all in future, whether on the giving or receiving end.

+1 like from a liberal :-)

I too spent my early childhood playing on bomb sites from ww2 and had family members who fought including my father,

Still i feel many posters here who feel offended by this type of thoughtless marketing ploy seem to forget this is not a country where logic prevails, dont expect that to change anytime soon.

It is not "Zionist guilt" or Zionist anything to be appalled by the holocaust or any genocide. As for going into a cafe with stalins image promoting it, no I wouldn't. The man was evil.

This article is from the Daily Mail. There is an article about the Holocaust in that paper every week without fail ! Why?

Don't read that right wing rag so can't say. Why not write and ask them.

P.S. I assume you're not suggesting some sort of religious conspiracy/cabal bs.

Maybe guilt complex. The Daily Mail and their proprietors were active cheerleaders for Hitler and the Nazi Party in the 1930s. As were prominent members of the British Royal family, including the late Queen Mother, (Gawd bless her)!

• Like 1