Farang got Stabbed

ShopBoy

dam_n !!!!! That was a sword attack, not a knife stabbing.....

I know what I would do if attacked with a knife, but will have to

think what to do about a sword.

Run as fast as you can.

Yep - whether its a knife or sword run as fast as you can and hope they don't know how to throw them!

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This attack took place a couple of days after Richard Barrow (@richardbarrow) was tweeting about how you should take a firmer stance against taxi drivers who refuse to accept farangs as passengers. Let's hope this 'advice' did not contribute to this incident.

A few months ago Mr Barrow's blog was encouraging people to act as 'bounty hunters' and go after a violent Australian criminal who escaped custody at the airport. He later changed the blog after he thought better of it.

Got a problem with barrow I see?

dam_n !!!!! That was a sword attack, not a knife stabbing.....

I know what I would do if attacked with a knife, but will have to

think what to do about a sword.

Run as fast as you can.

Yep - whether it's a knife, dagger or sword. Run as fast as you can and hope they can't throw them! Seriously, anyone who takes on someone armed is going to get hurt.

Does anybody have and solid information about this, beyond a stupid video on stupid facebook !

In the absence of any real solid info, why so much opinion ?

It is all over the Thai media. One link to Daily News newspaper was already posted here. It happened, and it was apparently due to disagreement over the taxi fare.

The use of the word "farang" is completely stupid and unnecessary, why can't it be said that a tourist was stabbed, or a foreigner?

Then again, the ways taxi drivers react to white people is very very different than how they act toward asian people, especially those with status.

Not really - as long as your a foreigner, you'll cop it in this kind of situation - I agree with you about the word "farang" though, completely overused and unnecessary as if the writers of the article are suggesting only "farangs" visit Thailand and that there are only Thais and "farangs" in Thailand. However, I am pretty confident in saying that an Asian tourist in this situation would have been just as likely to have been stabbed and killed - some of them are very rich and would be seen as easy targets too. I have heard of many Asian tourists being forced to pay much more than westerners in similar situations, though fortunately they weren't harmed.

Most westerners are bigger in size and thus more difficult targets. A simple disagreement over the fare shouldn't have caused that much rage though. Just unbelievable.

Anyway, it doesn't matter how the foreigner reacted, it is no excuse to have killed him.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Unfortunately there are nutters everywhere,the whole world is more violent nowadays.I know of farangs who carry weapons too,and no doubt would use them in a so called protecting themselves mode.

So many hotbeds of violence in uk too, take Glasgow for instance,supposed to have more nutters than anywhere in the uk

Can you provide the link that you've researched on "nutters" in the UK?

Ever been to Glasgow, or been recently? Have a look at places like London, Manchester, Warrington, Gloucester, and Belfast and see the amount of recorded violent crime and disorder the police have to deal with there. The UK is full of nutters - but they are dispersed all over the 4 countries.

And, that is the same in Europe, the US and other parts of Asia. The point here that it can kick off and escalate in Thailand very quickly. And if you are Farang you have no rights, the police don't care and Thais tend to jump in.

• Like 2

Does anybody have and solid information about this, beyond a stupid video on stupid facebook !

In the absence of any real solid info, why so much opinion ?

Read earlier post which i have posted for you below

UPDATE.

My wife just found the story on the Thai news website.

The guy was 51 from USA. Name: Troy Lee Pilklington.

He dies after sustaining injuries in an attack by a taxi driver after an argument over the fare. Mr Pilkington got out of the taxi and walked away, when the passenger was attacked from behind with a large knife (sword).

The attacker is in police custody, and the attack happened near Sukumvit Soi 68.

I won't post the pictures here, too graphic.

Here is the link to the source.

http://www.dailynews.co.th/crime/217278

RIP Troy. You didn't deserve it, no matter what anyone says.

RIP Troy

This attack took place a couple of days after Richard Barrow (@richardbarrow) was tweeting about how you should take a firmer stance against taxi drivers who refuse to accept farangs as passengers. Let's hope this 'advice' did not contribute to this incident.

A few months ago Mr Barrow's blog was encouraging people to act as 'bounty hunters' and go after a violent Australian criminal who escaped custody at the airport. He later changed the blog after he thought better of it.

Got a problem with barrow I see?

Taxi drivers don't refuse "farangs" in Thailand. Quite the opposite - they beep their horns at passing "farangs" walking on the streets so they can pick them up and make a quick buck by ripping them off.

"Its a pity you have to stay sober and mind your own business to stay alive."

Too bad we can't just stuff our heads up our buts and carry on.

​This does show that it isn't wise for a foreigner to diss a local. It causes resentment anywhere in the world. Thais are a bit more obsessed with face and have a tendency to react way over the top.

according to my wife and what she heard on the news the victim asked the cabi to stop because the fare had jumped from 35 bt to 50bt very quickly, words were exchanged, the victim got angry and threw bottled water at the cabi, cabi goes crazy and turns into a ninja

Thai taxi drivers don't refuse "farangs". Quite the opposite. When a taxi driver spots a "farang" or a group of them, he starts honking his horn at them while they try to ignore him. All of this being an attempt to make a quick buck by trying to rip them off.

"Its a pity you have to stay sober and mind your own business to stay alive."

Too bad we can't just stuff our heads up our buts and carry on.

​This does show that it isn't wise for a foreigner to diss a local. It causes resentment anywhere in the world. Thais are a bit more obsessed with face and have a tendency to react way over the top.

BS if it is just him and the fare where did he lose face ?

to himself ???

UPDATE.

He dies after sustaining injuries in an attack by a taxi driver after an argument over the fare. Mr Pilkington got out of the taxi and walked away, when the passenger was attacked from behind with a large knife (sword).

The attacker is in police custody, and the attack happened near Sukumvit Soi 68.

Not quite according to my wife.

As the American got out of the taxi, he threw water from a bottle into the face of the taxi driver.

By that time both men were extremely angry in the heat of the moment and it became a fight to the death, the American was attacked with a weapon but did not back off even through he was unarmed.

condolences again.....but they are sincere on my part.

This video should be removed NOT because it tarnishes the Image of Thailand but because of the shocking turn of events it caused witnessed by the whole world.

Must be pretty disturbing for his (the deceased) mans family.

Absolutely dreadful.

Don't argue with Thais, because their lack of appreciation for the gift of life is so scant, this is an all too common reaction.

If life is so sacred to Buddhists, then tell me why Thailand is head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats.

probably because more American and Russian tourist coming here now!! Not saying its ok to run around stabbing people with a sword. but used as an example Americans don't carry a lot of popularity around the world thanks to there foreign policies.... In general there are a lot more arrogant wealthy visitors to Thailand than before. and the money isn't filtering down to the Thais so much, but to international corporations that cream the profits.

Just a wild stab in the dark as to why there seems to be more frustration and venting thereof at tourists... I haven't 'seen the story yet so know idea and will probably never know what this guy did or said, if anything, to wind up someone so much.. I can only imagine its easily down and hard to hold your tongue at times with frustration When you 1st arrive here, you bring western expectations and can find yourself wanting to scream at these guys who do fall way below any rational standard....Law of averages someone having a bad day will explode and stab you.

A taxi driver that was willing to brutally murder a passenger over a fare dispute most definitely did something to motivate the victim to dispute the fare. Another example of the wisdom of just grin and bear it when abused by local transport thugs. Of course it's not always easy to follow that tactic as human beings.

Most passengers in similar situations would pay the outrageous fare but make a scene whilst doing so - for example, screaming at the driver, throwing the money at him, etc. Both Thais and foreigners would react in similar ways. The foreigners would additionally think more lowly of Thailand, or at least of taxi drivers.

It is good that this is being reported in the Thai press. Lets hope that more articles are reported, not only in the local press but also the international press, accounts of locals and foreigners, both positive and negative. Then let foreigners decide of they want to visit and or reside here and what life is like as a minority in Thailand.

Thailand has multiple problems and I think that many of the posters have got it right. I would like to add, from my own observations, that you have a "police force" which is more interested in making money from motorcyclists than being visibly active on the street. In the UK, US and other western countries, you have patrols to show visible policing. Thailand doesn't. In fact they could not investigate their way out of a paper bag, that is due to complete lack of training, funds and installed corruption. Taxi drivers and a like sometimes brag about knowing the police. I think it is that mentality that can make SOME of them to think they are untouchable. You cannot bribe a police officer on the UK, without being arrested. But why are these kind of murders taking place? As I stated, many of you have it right, including a world problem where life has no value to some people. Thailand's mentality is no different to anywhere else, but improper policing does not help. That's my opinion and I know some of you may disagree.

UPDATE.

Not quite according to my wife.

As the American got out of the taxi, he threw water from a bottle into the face of the taxi driver.

By that time both men were extremely angry in the heat of the moment and it became a fight to the death, the American was attacked with a weapon but did not back off even through he was unarmed.

Aha. Good to see more information coming to light. It seems that the taxi driver was provoked by more than just a simple fare dispute, but was actually "assaulted" by water. Still no reason to react in such a violent way though - absolutely unbelievable.

Absolutely dreadful.

Don't argue with Thais, because their lack of appreciation for the gift of life is so scant, this is an all too common reaction.

If life is so sacred to Buddhists, then tell me why Thailand is head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats.

probably because more American and Russian tourist coming here now!! Not saying its ok to run around stabbing people with a sword. but used as an example Americans don't carry a lot of popularity around the world thanks to there foreign policies.... In general there are a lot more arrogant wealthy visitors to Thailand than before. and the money isn't filtering down to the Thais so much, but to international corporations that cream the profits.

Just a wild stab in the dark as to why there seems to be more frustration and venting thereof at tourists... I haven't 'seen the story yet so know idea and will probably never know what this guy did or said, if anything, to wind up someone so much.. I can only imagine its easily down and hard to hold your tongue at times with frustration When you 1st arrive here, you bring western expectations and can find yourself wanting to scream at these guys who do fall way below any rational standard....Law of averages someone having a bad day will explode and stab you.

I very much doubt the Thai guy reacted violently because his antoagonist was from the USA. Most likely he would have become violent with any foreigner, more aligned with "This is Thailand!" thinking and Thais will not back down with foreigners.

Looks like both parties were in the wrong, however, murdering some one over a fare dispute is unacceptible.

Edited by Lancelot
  • Like 2

If your a foreigner in Thailand and did not already know alcohol, late night travel and tuk tuks are a bad idea then your not too bright.

If this does not change some behaviors in the future then what can you say?

I say boycott Tuk Tuk's until the govt can create more public safety with this form of transportation service.