Farang got Stabbed

ShopBoy

Reading the comments (in Thai) on the Daily News website about the incident that happened, it seems most Thai commentators are just as appalled as us foreigners about what happened and have expressed a lot of sympathy for the victim and incidents like this one. One commentator said: "the government should have measures in place to protect foreigners". Another commentator said: "this guy will probably only get about 2-3 years in the slammer (jail)".

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 1

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad story.

Condolences to his family and friends.

But throwing water in a thai taxi driver's face, a crooked one at that....unlikely it would ever end well for anyone. Nobody deserves such a reaction but this is thailand. Its telling that its not all that surprising.

UPDATE.

My wife just found the story on the Thai news website.

The guy was 51 from USA. Name: Troy Lee Pilklington.

He dies after sustaining injuries in an attack by a taxi driver after an argument over the fare. Mr Pilkington got out of the taxi and walked away, when the passenger was attacked from behind with a large knife (sword).

The attacker is in police custody, and the attack happened near Sukumvit Soi 68.

I won't post the pictures here, too graphic.

Here is the link to the source.

http://www.dailynews.co.th/crime/217278

RIP Troy. You didn't deserve it, no matter what anyone says.

Not quite according to my wife.

As the American got out of the taxi, he threw water from a bottle into the face of the taxi driver.

By that time both men were extremely angry in the heat of the moment and it became a fight to the death, the American was attacked with a weapon but did not back off even through he was unarmed.

You can clearly see the guy in the video MOVING AWAY from the taxi driver and the Taxi Driver clearly chased him and attacked him with the Sword maybe you should use your eyes instead of believing everything your thai wife tells you.

• Like 2

...RIP While I agree that some expats could do more to cater to the face saving aspect and act diplomatic while in a public place, it is my GD right as a user of public transport or other available services NOT TO GET KILLED if an argument develops. In normal countries, a taxi driver will kick his fare out if they are, well, incompatible, subject to differences in physique, of course. Is that not done here...?

If your a foreigner in Thailand and did not already know alcohol, late night travel and tuk tuks are a bad idea then your not too bright.

If this does not change some behaviors in the future then what can you say?

I say boycott Tuk Tuk's until the govt can create more public safety with this form of transportation service.

Me too. In general I have an aversion to public transport so I drive everywhere; this story now proves to me I'm doing the right thing.

• Like 1

Did the crime re-enactment get a showing on TV? If not, why not..... Well we know the answer to that one! Any government minister commenting on this outrageous murder?

I hope CNN and the BBC get hold of this and beam it around the world. And lets see if the US Ambassador grows some balls.

RIP Troy, sincere condolences for his family.

>>If your a foreigner in Thailand and did not already know alcohol, late night travel and tuk tuks are a bad idea then your not too bright.

Easy there chief, you might want to learn to use grammar before writing something.

Whether water was thrown on the driver or not, taking out a huge sword and killing a passenger is not the behaviour of a sane person. Maybe the driver was the one on the booze.

• Like 1

dam_n !!!!! That was a sword attack, not a knife stabbing.....

I know what I would do if attacked with a knife, but will have to

think what to do about a sword.

Probably the same thing for me only faster! :D

according to my wife and what she heard on the news the victim asked the cabi to stop because the fare had jumped from 35 bt to 50bt very quickly, words were exchanged, the victim got angry and threw bottled water at the cabi, cabi goes crazy and turns into a ninja

I presume this is down to the murderer's take on what happened and no one elses (hardy witnesses at this stage of the altercation)

Perhaps a good Thai lawyer can convince him to say that he thought it was acid in the bottle and he was acting in self defense. Case dismissed.

Edited by Salapoo

UPDATE.

My wife just found the story on the Thai news website.

The guy was 51 from USA. Name: Troy Lee Pilklington.

He dies after sustaining injuries in an attack by a taxi driver after an argument over the fare. Mr Pilkington got out of the taxi and walked away, when the passenger was attacked from behind with a large knife (sword).

The attacker is in police custody, and the attack happened near Sukumvit Soi 68.

I won't post the pictures here, too graphic.

Here is the link to the source.

http://www.dailynews.co.th/crime/217278

RIP Troy. You didn't deserve it, no matter what anyone says.

Not quite according to my wife.

As the American got out of the taxi, he threw water from a bottle into the face of the taxi driver.

By that time both men were extremely angry in the heat of the moment and it became a fight to the death, the American was attacked with a weapon but did not back off even through he was unarmed.

I only reported what my wife told me, she didn't mention anything about a bottle of water. But that would only be hearsay at this moment and not a solid account of what happened. The bottled water thing was probably the driver's account of what happened, it is unfortunate that the other witness is not able to give his version of events. I don't expect that the taxi driver would be giving the full truth anyway... do you?

I only posted the solid evidence, and that was that there was a dispute over the fare... with or without the water, and I personally don't see how throwing water can make the end result any more justified. For me, even if true, it changes nothing.

• Like 2

A TV news report allegedly suggests the victim left the cab at a red light without paying after an argument re some/all of the fare (THB 85 & THB 50) & a dousing of water. Whether this is factually correct remains to be seen, but that it what was reported.

Edited by evadgib

I'm reliably informed that a TV news report suggests the victim left the cab at a red light without paying, after an argument re the fare & a dousing with water.

"A reliable TV news reporter" in Thailand? Surely you jest. Must be your first day here in the Land of Scams.

Edited by SCARLETIBIS1
  • Like 1

It's fairly common knowledge that a lot of taxi drivers, having worked a long day shift, will use Ya ba or similar to keep themselves awake into the night.

I would normally check the driver to see if he has dilated pupils and and that familiar glassy look in his eye, and will skip them if they exhibit the symptoms.

Forget the samurai sword, I don't want a drug crazed psycho driving me through the streets even if the fare is reasonable!

So in Thailand if someone throws water at you, one may respond with a Samurai sword. I wonder what college they teach that at here in the Land of S...

if that is the case, sonkran should be a blood bath.

• Like 2

Absolutely dreadful.

Don't argue with Thais, because their lack of appreciation for the gift of life is so scant, this is an all too common reaction.

If life is so sacred to Buddhists, then tell me why Thailand is head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats.

Is Thailand really head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats? I find that very hard to believe, are you taking the population of countries and expats into this statistic? Although I believe Thais are amongst the biggest cowards (not them all), if you mind your own business, and stay sober, Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world.

Because you say so? What arrogance. You actually believe that all these deaths happened to people who were not minding their own busienss or were drunk? You mean like the Oz lady stabbed in the heart for 200 baht beer money? Spoken like a person that can't leave the house without his wife and whose social life consists of reading every post every day on TV.

• Like 2

according to my wife and what she heard on the news the victim asked the cabi to stop because the fare had jumped from 35 bt to 50bt very quickly, words were exchanged, the victim got angry and threw bottled water at the cabi, cabi goes crazy and turns into a ninja

I presume this is down to the murderer's take on what happened and no one elses (hardy witnesses at this stage of the altercation)

Perhaps a good Thai lawyer can convince him to say that he thought it was acid in the bottle and he was acting in self defense. Case dismissed.

So the poor guys life was worth just 15 Baht. Amazing Thailand.

• Like 1

So in Thailand if someone throws water at you, one may respond with a Samurai sword. I wonder what college they teach that at here in the Land of S...

No, Thais have total immunity on Songran by law. Assault with water on all tourists is waived the entire week of Songran. In addition, assault by Samurai sword against non paying tourists is also waived as a crime. Seriously, I looked it up.

you

Loptr, take another look at my posts, where did I say this stabbing must have been provoked? No, there was no excuse for killing him in the street, I was only making the point that Thailand is a very safe country to live in, if you stay sober and mind your own business, I am not saying that if you are drunk and don't mind your own business, you should be killed.

You just condoned the killings of a good many tourists....as drinking in thailand is sort of a major tourist attraction. I say you are "Dead Wrong." Not that I think that drinking is a good thing....but hey....get with the program...half the people in the bars of Pattaya, Phuket, Soi Cowboy, Nana and Chiang Mai deserve to die....according to you.blink.png

• Like 1

No, Thais have total immunity from assault charges against tourists the whole week of Songran. But the water must come from the moat. If they use clean water then they can be charged with assault as that is a waste of a natural resource. Seriously, I looked it up.