Farang got Stabbed

ShopBoy

First part of video with the foreigner in the frame in slow motion:

At 25 seconds into the slow motion, as the Thai is stepping backward, is the foreigner following him?

Ya, that is what I saw, a white guy actually continuing to go toward the guy with the machete. My guess is he was drunk. The taxi driver left the weapon behind and seemed panicked, probably didn't mean to hack the foreigner to death but hey when you're swinging a machete it isn't going to end well.

I can't agree with that. Once you lift the weapon your doing so with intent. To then claim it was an accident is beyond bullsh*t. This is the whole point as to why being in possession of an offensive weapon is a criminal charge.

You can't hack someone to death with a Samurai sword or machete if you don't have one. Merely going out and obtaining one shows some degree of malice aforethought, and to then pack in a public service vehicle such as a taxi is scandalous. That in itself should be a jail sentence.

The only chance the guy had was to attack the assailant when he raised the sword and try to disarm him. The guy didn't go toward the attacker until the attacker raised the sword. No chance to run at that point.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

Edit: A post with off topic generalizations has been removed as well.

Edited by metisdead

[quote name="Berkshire"

Not entirely true Berkshire, there's been plenty of examples of farangs getting rolled and beaten up for nothing.

I'm not talking about robberies and such. But seriously, Blether, is this something that you've witnessed with any sort of regularity? I mean farangs just getting beat up for no reason? Do you believe Thailand to be an unsafe place for farangs? If I thought that for even a brief moment, I'd be out of here in a nano second.

Probably happens more often than we think, but what usually happens is the Farang backs down, knowing full well that other Thai's will become involved against the Farang, also we all know whose side the Thai (mafia) police will take. Having said this I think it's only fair to point out that the majority of Thais don't go looking for trouble,it's just that they know if a Farang is involved they can't loose.

• Like 1

Absolutely dreadful.

Don't argue with Thais, because their lack of appreciation for the gift of life is so scant, this is an all too common reaction.

If life is so sacred to Buddhists, then tell me why Thailand is head and shoulders above any other nation in the murder of tourists and expats.

Gun deaths in Thailand are more than double the USA - a county with 6 times the population and where lmost anyone can own a gun.

My condolences to this man's loved ones and my sympathy for his tragedy. Nobody deserves this fate.

I do not justify this Thai man's actions.

Yes, there is a possibility this was just none of the farangs fault at all, the guy was a nutcase off his head maybe on Yaa-Baa and just attacked him for no reason at all. However...

Looking at that video, reading who the victim was and his employment there, and using common sense, my guess is that this gentleman was out on a saturday night (July 6th and dark out) and possibly drinking.

Some people when they drink unfortunatley become belligerent.

This man obviously was making very good money in Thailand due to his position.

Which makes me wonder why he was out alone at that hour.

Thai taxi drivers make shit money and Thai taxi fares are very cheap compared to the west.

I don't understand why this man might have made a big fight or issue out of the fare. Most especially given his probable income.

Knowledge dictates... don't act in a manner to make the Thai lose face... use your head.

How long was this man in Thailand? Did he have any awareness at all?

Secondly yes, why fight the attacker with a sword, and how did he even let him get so close with the sword, the SMART thing to do would be to high-tail it across the road.

I have many American friends and unfortuantley many of them have this rahh rahh rahh American world police we are number one belligerance :D

Many watch too many movies and also have a 'Rambo Syndrome'... The man did attach the driver, whereas he should have beat a hasty retreat.

My opinion is that there was a great tregedy here that could have been completely avoided in the first place.

I feel very sorry for this man who lost his life, and most certainly condemn the stupid piece of S&*% who attacked him. But I really don't think this whole thing happened 'all by its lonesome'

Now go on, you can all yell at me and throw dirt at me! :D

• Like 1

Does anybody have and solid information about this, beyond a stupid video on stupid facebook !

In the absence of any real solid info, why so much opinion ?

Not sure if anyone posted this. Is this the same story?

***Link Removed*** Bangkok post does not allow links to their sites-- sbk

Edited by sbk
Bangkok post does not allow links to their site.

Ya, that is what I saw, a white guy actually continuing to go toward the guy with the machete. My guess is he was drunk. The taxi driver left the weapon behind and seemed panicked, probably didn't mean to hack the foreigner to death but hey when you're swinging a machete it isn't going to end well.

I can't agree with that. Once you lift the weapon your doing so with intent. To then claim it was an accident is beyond bullsh*t. This is the whole point as to why being in possession of an offensive weapon is a criminal charge.

You can't hack someone to death with a Samurai sword or machete if you don't have one. Merely going out and obtaining one shows some degree of malice aforethought, and to then pack in a public service vehicle such as a taxi is scandalous. That in itself should be a jail sentence.

I am not saying it was an accident, just that it wouldn't take much to kill someone if you swing something like that, the taxi driver is a criminal. My point was that the foreigner went toward the taxi driver when it appeared that the taxi driver was backing away. I would have backed well away from him.

• Like 1

The only chance the guy had was to attack the assailant when he raised the sword and try to disarm him. The guy didn't go toward the attacker until the attacker raised the sword. No chance to run at that point.

I disagree, to me it looked like he went at him. Unfortunately, we don't see much. We can all agree it is a bad situation.

• Like 1

A lot Comment about what should happen, Tell me HAS there been an arrest and charge ? Becuse if not then I suggest serious action by the US government supported by other western governments

"The cab driver from Roi Et province told police he picked up Pilkington opposite Central Bangna department store to take him to his residence in Sukhumvit Soi 85.

When he reached the spot where the fatal attack took place, the road was jammed with traffic. Pilkington yelled at Mr Cherdchai and claimed he had cheated him on the fare. He got out of the car and walked away with the taxi meter showing 51 baht.

Mr Cherdchai opened the front passenger's window to ask for money from Pilkington but the passenger threw an empty coffee cup at him.

Angry at Pilkington’s departure and his refusal to pay the fare, Mr Cherdchai took an 18-cm-long machete from the taxi’s trunk. He claimed he only grabbed the weapon to threaten Pilkington but the passenger resisted him by running toward him in an effort to hurt him."

He was in thailand 3 years and lived with thai GF. Cheated him for 51 Baht??? He had a great job with a large MultiNational Heavy equipment company. 51 Baht???

I am very sorry to say this, but I think sometimes people unfortunatley BRING grief into their lives.

• Like 1

What I should imagine is the problem will be, the Taxi driver is off his head on Crystal Meth in some form or fashion, like so many people are in the Thailand we live in today... possibly starting to come down severely Hypo & Paranoid & ready to fly off the handle at the least excuse... There are millions of Thais addicted to this all over the Country, & the corrupt people in places of authority are making so much $$$ out of it that nothing is going to change any time soon, so keep your heads down & expect to see this sort of behavior on the increase until finally the powers that be decide to put a stop to it, Don't hold your breath.....

i think you got good piont there and must agree as seen it myself with this drug stuff they go loopy and are very dangerouse in that stae like headless chicken and farangs who are smashed out there heads on mekong no better

• Like 1

"The cab driver from Roi Et province told police he picked up Pilkington opposite Central Bangna department store to take him to his residence in Sukhumvit Soi 85. 

When he reached the spot where the fatal attack took place, the road was jammed with traffic. Pilkington yelled at Mr Cherdchai and claimed he had cheated him on the fare. He  got out of the car and walked away with the taxi meter showing 51 baht.

Mr Cherdchai opened the front passenger's window to ask for money from Pilkington but the passenger threw an empty coffee cup at him. 

Angry at Pilkington’s departure and his refusal to pay the fare, Mr Cherdchai took an 18-cm-long machete from the taxi’s trunk. He claimed he only grabbed the weapon to threaten Pilkington but the passenger resisted him by running toward him in an effort to hurt him."

He was in thailand 3 years and lived with thai GF. Cheated him for 51 Baht??? He had a great job with a large MultiNational Heavy equipment company. 51 Baht???

I am very sorry to say this, but I think sometimes people unfortunatley BRING grief into their lives.

18cm? Lol.. did u watch the video? It was about 3x that.

There fare would have been around 51 baht from central to there, if the guy had lived here 3 years he would know that.

It would help Thailand if Police stopped taking backhanders from the vendors who sell these lethal weapons by the bucket load. Police could crack down on the sale of machetes but as long as the criminals/Police in charge are getting paid nobody minds. The shop in Sampeng, Yawaraj Rd that sells these is always full. The Police turn a blind eye so someone is getting paid.

Nasty business, I hope they catch this taxi driver and make an example. Lets hope extremely unnecessary force is used during his arrest and prolonged detention.

A lot Comment about what should happen, Tell me HAS there been an arrest and charge ? Becuse if not then I suggest serious action by the US government supported by other western governments

Are you serious??? As tragic and senseless as this incident is, there are foreigners killed all the time in countries not of their birth, including in the US. To suggest that such an incident merits international action is over-the-top.

I am not commenting on this particular incident but it has always amazed me how willing farang are to get enraged when a Thai is trying to cheat them out of less than a 100 baht. Even reading on Thai Visa you will be told how much of an idiot you are for allowing yourself to be ripped off. I only had one angry taxi driver. It was raining. He picked me up and was very rude. He didn't turn on the meter. When we arrived I had the amount of money I knew the trip would cost on the meter in my hand. I gave it to him he nodded his head. So what would have happened if I demanded he turn on the meter? If I got out of the taxi and left the door open (as many here have suggested doing) or cursed at him? Be smart people and check your egos at the arrival gate.

• Like 1

I was reading about this in the Bangkok post. I found it strange that they kept referring to the Taxi driver as Mr. and the American just by his last name. I guess the BKK post is biased in the way they report the news. Not showing respect for the deceased. That's a bit weird to me.

• Like 1

Unfortunately there are nutters everywhere,the whole world is more violent nowadays.I know of farangs who carry weapons too,and no doubt would use them in a so called protecting themselves mode.

So many hotbeds of violence in uk too, take Glasgow for instance,supposed to have more nutters than anywhere in the uk

Glasgow is the same as any other big city in the UK, they have there share of nutters. There are people who walk about and gather together just looking for trouble, looking for innocent people to attack, they don't have to be provoked.

That sort of thing is almost unheard of in Thailand.

Almost unheard of in Thailand? Are you serious? This kind of thing is very common in Thailand. It may not happen in your neighbourhood but it certainly does happen. Your statements all have the same central theme: Thais don't do this kind of thing so it most be something the foreigner did. But almost every day you read about Thais attacking Westerners. Maybe its time people accept the fact that there is a lot of bigotry towards foreigners (and Westerners specifically) and this often spills out in attacks.

By the way, when was the last time you heard of someone getting attacked in the street with a sword back home? I'm willing to bet the cops would take it a little more seriously if a Thai tourist was hacked to death with a sword in Western country -- and the Thai government and media certainly would be up in arms.

• Like 1

Arguing over 51 Bahts, that is less than two dollars! The guy probably earned at least 100 000 Baht per month. Jay-sus! Reminds me about an American millionaire in Thailand, forging the visa stamp date to the next day. Then ending up in jail, dying then on the floor of the jail the next morning. It would have cost him mere 500 Baht for one day overstay!

Do not argue with taxi drives in Thailand. Just pay the damn fare and get out.

• Like 2

Unfortunately there are nutters everywhere,the whole world is more violent nowadays.I know of farangs who carry weapons too,and no doubt would use them in a so called protecting themselves mode.

So many hotbeds of violence in uk too, take Glasgow for instance,supposed to have more nutters than anywhere in the uk

I don't think that Glasgow has that many more nutters per se, it's more likely the case that most people in the UK can't understand what most Glaswegians are saying, and therefore assume that they are nutters.

Wasn't Rab C Nesbitt a documentary?

At the time of this post there is 2400 thumbs up on Youlike for this stabbing, what a deranged world we live in.

And what percentage of those are Thai?? which might tell you a lot about Thailand.

I don't think they're necessarily cheering the farang's death on Facebook with the thumbs-up. More like a thumbs-up for passing on the info that may help catch the murderer.

The Thai girl who posted the video on Facebook states under the video:

Dramatic Moment:

A foriegner is stabbed to death by a taxi driver driving a pink taxi, registration no ทว 6549, at the mouth of Sukhumwit Soi 68 at 08:30pm on 06/07/13.

Any witnesses to the incident or if you recognise the attacker, contact Bang Na police or telephone 191.

The Thai message board comments I've seen on the attack have also taken the farang's side hoping the Thai attacker is caught.

• Like 1