Farang got Stabbed

ShopBoy

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From where to where, if we assume he got the taxi opposite Central Bang Na, he would go straight ahead to Suk Rd and hang a right into Suk then go straight to Suk soi 68 or Udom Suk BTS, no way is that more than 5kms.

All depends on where he got the taxi from and which route it took.

From where to where, if we assume he got the taxi opposite Central Bang Na, he would go straight ahead to Suk Rd and hang a right into Suk then go straight to Suk soi 68 or Udom Suk BTS, no way is that more than 5kms.

All depends on where he got the taxi from and which route it took.

It's over 7 km in a straight line between those 2 points, so it's definitely over 8 km no matter which route you take. I just got 8.9 km on Google Maps, so that varies a bit.

I would argue that murder rates are absurdly low in the UK and Germany; how does Thailand compare with countries with similar socio-economic levels would be a more apt comparison.

i would suggest that is a ridiculous arguement to make ... IMO a murder rate can NEVER be too low, as even 1 murder is 1 too many !!

having spent 16 years living in Asia i get the impression life is seen as relatively cheap here compared to home !!

Well it does happen in other places...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/14/nyc-cab-driver-on-loose-after-killing-drunk-man-police-and-witnesses-say/

"A New York City cab driver is on the loose after he stabbed and killed an intoxicated man who was looking for a late night ride home, police and witnesses say."

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting article form Richard Barrow regarding scam taxi meters over charging in Bangkok, I wonder if this is what sparked it off ?

Read this link below:

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/07/taxi-scam-at-suvarnabhumi-airport/

Below a pic of a taxi from the legal taxi stand at BKK airpost into the city,

it should be about 300 Baht not over 2000 baht and it ain't 255km.

meter.jpg

Seems to be an old and forgotten story by now. Unfortunately powers within BangkokPost would NOT allow me to post on their forum as I tried 3 times and never saw my postings.

Everyone seems to be so fixated on the 51baht meter fare factor which in my opinion is NOT the issue at hand.

After living in Thailand for a while I have learned what "face" or "losing face" means to a Thai National and how far they will go to protect their "face" or not "lose face". It is my opinion that whatever argument inside the taxi took place, whatever traffic there was standing ahead that the victim saw it best to exit a situation and walk away, unarmed, in an unthreatening manner. Whatever took place with the empty, fluid filled cup being thrown at/inside the taxi window was the FINAL straw that "broke the camels back" or caused the Thai Taxi driver to "lose face" and react on pure emotion and instinct to protect it.

He had the presence of mind to shift the taxi in park, in a Sukhumvit lane of travel, retrieve a weapon that he knew and concealed in his trunk which is not a tool/weapon used in his normal course of business, chase after/behind a man walking away who was unarmed and posed no immediate threat to him, his life or that of another person, engaging that person in a violent confrontation where anyone would turn to defend themselves rather than run in flipflops knowing you are no match to a smaller, lighter, faster, more agile person and take stance maybe even lunging for the long awkward weapon and becoming victim to several fatal blows and stabs in the heart regardless of only being blocks from a hospital.

The taxi driver still having the presence of mind to flee discard his bloodied shirt and the weapon used in the murder and hide until unbeknowst to him there was a surveilance camera that recorded him, is taxi and the minimal 24" INCH not centimeter sword NOT knife that was reported in Bangkok Post.

Who wins, who loses.. Everyone loses. If we were scoring on Nationality then 1 USA National lost a life immediately and the taxi driver, his wife and family, The USA Nationals Thai wife and family he supported, the negative publicity of Thailand and its taxi drivers that hit worldwide headlines take a loss from many more years to come.

What is it with Bangkok Post? I also posted a comment which was first published, then deleted the next day. I only stated that I now am starting to fear living in Thailand as a farang ( I am really scared) and that I am considering a move to another SEA-country - based on what happened to the american. I guess the Bangkok Post-staff are under heavy influence from somebody..... Best regards sms

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to be an old and forgotten story by now. Unfortunately powers within BangkokPost would NOT allow me to post on their forum as I tried 3 times and never saw my postings.

Everyone seems to be so fixated on the 51baht meter fare factor which in my opinion is NOT the issue at hand.

After living in Thailand for a while I have learned what "face" or "losing face" means to a Thai National and how far they will go to protect their "face" or not "lose face". It is my opinion that whatever argument inside the taxi took place, whatever traffic there was standing ahead that the victim saw it best to exit a situation and walk away, unarmed, in an unthreatening manner. Whatever took place with the empty, fluid filled cup being thrown at/inside the taxi window was the FINAL straw that "broke the camels back" or caused the Thai Taxi driver to "lose face" and react on pure emotion and instinct to protect it.

He had the presence of mind to shift the taxi in park, in a Sukhumvit lane of travel, retrieve a weapon that he knew and concealed in his trunk which is not a tool/weapon used in his normal course of business, chase after/behind a man walking away who was unarmed and posed no immediate threat to him, his life or that of another person, engaging that person in a violent confrontation where anyone would turn to defend themselves rather than run in flipflops knowing you are no match to a smaller, lighter, faster, more agile person and take stance maybe even lunging for the long awkward weapon and becoming victim to several fatal blows and stabs in the heart regardless of only being blocks from a hospital.

The taxi driver still having the presence of mind to flee discard his bloodied shirt and the weapon used in the murder and hide until unbeknowst to him there was a surveilance camera that recorded him, is taxi and the minimal 24" INCH not centimeter sword NOT knife that was reported in Bangkok Post.

Who wins, who loses.. Everyone loses. If we were scoring on Nationality then 1 USA National lost a life immediately and the taxi driver, his wife and family, The USA Nationals Thai wife and family he supported, the negative publicity of Thailand and its taxi drivers that hit worldwide headlines take a loss from many more years to come.

I guess I owe the forum this story so as to explain a bit more about why this story triggered my fear:

I had an argument with a Pattaya motorcycle taxi driver three and a half years ago after he tried to rip me off big time (he wanted 300 baht for taking me from Pattaya Klang to Banglamung Police Station - about 8-10 minutes ride)
After a heated argument, in which he used pretty much all the bad Thai-words I know, I put down my wallet and mobile phone on the ground and said, ok, you wanna fight? Needless to say he chickened out and scullied off.
Later that night I was almost killed by his friends who attacked me in my room near Pattaya Klang. I don´t know how many they were, difficult to tell after immediately being knocked out with my own 9-iron golf club - which incidentally broke at the moment of impact with my skull (probably good luck for me as I am an angry golfer and had already chucked the club to the ground in disgust over weak shots several times so the club was probably weakened)
The recent killing of two americans, the taxi customer in Bangkok and the bar customer in Krabi, made the memory of above mentioned story come back to haunt me....

You could save yourself the trouble of moving away and just learn to control your anger. Your mishap and the machete attack are quite similar really, only your attackers used a golf club instead of a machete. I would consider a golf club to the head as deadly force.

I guess I owe the forum this story so as to explain a bit more about why this story triggered my fear:

I had an argument with a Pattaya motorcycle taxi driver three and a half years ago after he tried to rip me off big time (he wanted 300 baht for taking me from Pattaya Klang to Banglamung Police Station - about 8-10 minutes ride)
After a heated argument, in which he used pretty much all the bad Thai-words I know, I put down my wallet and mobile phone on the ground and said, ok, you wanna fight? Needless to say he chickened out and scullied off.
Later that night I was almost killed by his friends who attacked me in my room near Pattaya Klang. I don´t know how many they were, difficult to tell after immediately being knocked out with my own 9-iron golf club - which incidentally broke at the moment of impact with my skull (probably good luck for me as I am an angry golfer and had already chucked the club to the ground in disgust over weak shots several times so the club was probably weakened)
The recent killing of two americans, the taxi customer in Bangkok and the bar customer in Krabi, made the memory of above mentioned story come back to haunt me....

I take it you notified the police and such. I mean would be easy to do and if you had sweetened the pot a bit for the police im sure things would be done.

But you made a rookie mistake, never get on a motorbike before negotiating the price, they you started the violence by threatening him with a fight. Did you even pay him anything ?

You were also at fault here but of course you did not deserve the later treatment. But for sure this was a police matter or not ? Breaking into someones house.. did they break the door ? Must have been MC taxi drivers near your home so easy to recognize next time ?

I agree with you and Tropo. It was a rookie mistake. At the time I was relatively new in Thailand (I had only been here 8 months).

I now know how to stay out of trouble. Doing my best to never getting angry openly and to mainly stay away from thai men (men that you don´t know that is) - particularly when there is alcohol involved. And yes - always make a deal with the taxi guys beforehand if they refuse to run the meter.

To Tropo: About reporting it to the police: I thought the same thoughts as you, but in the end I decided just to let it go as the motorcycle taxi guys outside my apartment complex (who were the ones who attacked me) share their taxi-area with a policebox. During the whole day they were constantly playing pool and having beers together...

I don´t mean to hijack this thread - anyone who knows when the taxi driver goes on trial for the murder?

I agree with you and Tropo. It was a rookie mistake. At the time I was relatively new in Thailand (I had only been here 8 months).

I now know how to stay out of trouble. Doing my best to never getting angry openly and to mainly stay away from thai men (men that you don´t know that is) - particularly when there is alcohol involved. And yes - always make a deal with the taxi guys beforehand if they refuse to run the meter.

To Tropo: About reporting it to the police: I thought the same thoughts as you, but in the end I decided just to let it go as the motorcycle taxi guys outside my apartment complex (who were the ones who attacked me) share their taxi-area with a policebox. During the whole day they were constantly playing pool and having beers together...

I don´t mean to hijack this thread - anyone who knows when the taxi driver goes on trial for the murder?

In your case we have a clear understanding of the reason why you were attacked. The trigger point for Thais is obviously very low, but at least we know where we stand. Your lesson is an important lesson for all of us. Some of us could end up with callouses on the tongue due to biting it all the time. In my early days here my tongue was always bleeding.smile.png

Edited by tropo

I would have paid the police off if need be to pursue the case, of course then I would have moved too. The police can't refuse cases like this and you could always take it higher up. This would be one of those times I would try that.

I don't fear Thai men anymore then I fear drunken lowlifes from other countries. Its not where they are from its education upbringing and alcohol. But I can certainly see your point of view after what happened to you. With not fearing, i mean that I am just careful around them. But you have to be careful around Brits / Dutch / Ozzies / Yanks of low class in a group fueled by alcohol too.

Too bad we don't read much on the original case anymore.

• Like 1

This story is a serious blow for tourism, as nearly everybody who visits

Thailand will take a cab. So everyone can relate to this story. Thus

this story will fade away, and we will never hear about it again. As he

was a lowly taxi driver, in the future he may well face some form of

penalty for killing a farang. But we will not hear about it, as it would

be like opening a festering wound again to the government....

This story is a serious blow for tourism, as nearly everybody who visits

Thailand will take a cab. So everyone can relate to this story. Thus

this story will fade away, and we will never hear about it again. As he

was a lowly taxi driver, in the future he may well face some form of

penalty for killing a farang. But we will not hear about it, as it would

be like opening a festering wound again to the government....

Do you seriously think it's only a possibility that he'll face a penalty? You make it sound like he may get a slap on the wrist.

I think he's guaranteed to be facing a long prison term - am I being optimistic? There are foreign countries, Embassies and families involved in this. It won't go away easily.

You have to be patient sometimes. Remember the Lee Aldhouse story. It went away for a year, then resurfaced with new developments.