Top 50 Must Sees In Chiang Rai Province.

theblether

• 1 month later...

Looking for a bit of guidance. I am planning a trip between Christmas and New Year, and the good wife (like most Thais) would love to visit Doi Angkhang. Last year in the dry season we (wife, myself, my sister and five year old daughter) drove up to Doi Mae Salong in a Mazda 2, automatic. There were a couple of climbs that I thought we were not going to manage and a number of exhilarating sections but nothing too hairy. Realise, it is subjective but can anyone who has driven up to both Doi Mae Salong and Doi Angkhang compare the degree of difficulty and would you do the latter with a young family (an eight month old baby on board this time as well). Also, again subjective, what is the best combination, highway 1178/1340 or 1249/1340?

Like Mae Salong, Angkhang has some steep gradients. I really enjoy drives like that but I am driving a slightly more robust vehicle. You may have to slip it into low part of the time but you see all kinds of vehicles at the top, so it is doable.

If your passengers are prone to carsickness you may want to have a couple of plastic bags handy. We were early in the season and there were already a fair number of cars on the road. At the time you have mentioned there are going to be crowds and you may need to book accommodation. It was beautiful when we went but it will be even more so during the time you are going.

We went up and down on the 1249 from the 107. I was interested in the 1340 on the way down but it was very foggy with limited visibility and the solders at the checkpoint advised against taking that route.

Be flexible and ask about the conditions on the day. If you do the 1340 I would like to know how it goes. We drove so far on so many mountain roads, they all blur together even after a fairly short time. Enjoy your drive.

Click here for my trip report.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...