'Hitler' Fried Chicken: KFC may sue restaurant in Thailand

webfact

'Hitler' Fried Chicken: KFC May Sue Restaurant In Thailand For Replacing Colonel Sanders With Adolf Hitler

By Nadine DeNinno

ah.jpg

KFC may sue a fried chicken restaurant in Thailand called “Hitler.” Twitter/Andrew Spooner

BANGKOK: -- Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) may sue a fried chicken restaurant in Thailand called “Hitler” for using a similar logo featuring an image of Adolf Hitler in place of the iconic Colonel Sanders.

"We find it extremely distasteful and are considering legal action since it is an infringement of our brand trademark and has nothing to do with us," a spokesperson for Yum!, KFC’s parent company, told the Huffington Post.

The “Hitler” restaurant, which opened in Bangkok last month, has a storefront logo very similar to KFC's but with an image of the anti-Semitic dictator responsible for the mass murder of 6 million Jews and millions of others in the Holocaust during World War II.

The fried chicken restaurant was originally publicized in May when British author Andrew Spooner tweeted a photo of its façade. “Very bizarre Hitler Fried Chicken shop in Thailand. I kid you not. Complete with pic of Hitler in bow tie,” he wrote on Twitter.

The restaurant sells fried chicken as well as chips, burgers and kebabs, according to the UK's Daily Mail. Bangkok resident Alan Robertson told the Mail: “The place opened last month and nobody quite knows what to make of it.

Full story: http://www.ibtimes.com/hitler-fried-chicken-kfc-may-sue-restaurant-thailand-replacing-colonel-sanders-adolf-hitler-1336611

-- INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS TIMES 2013-07-09

• Like 1

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think that Thais think an issue like this makes them look backward and stupid. 90% don't have a clue what Hitler did.

They are largely oblivious to what the outside world thinks, and their outrage that anyone dare to criticise shows this perfectly. Criticism is only reserved for Thais.

A Hitler restaurant is greeted with "so what?"

...............and your point is?

• Like 2

You think that Thais think an issue like this makes them look backward and stupid. 90% don't have a clue what Hitler did.

They are largely oblivious to what the outside world thinks, and their outrage that anyone dare to criticise shows this perfectly. Criticism is only reserved for Thais.

They don't think or realise it might make them look backward or stupid whatsoever. Is that clear enough for you

I'll refer you to this again.......

Word of this gets into the Western press and it will make the country look stupid and backward again. Hence, wait for it.........a national embarrassment.
  • Like 1

They don't think or realise it might make them look backward or stupid whatsoever. Is that clear enough for you

I'll refer you to this again.......

Word of this gets into the Western press and it will make the country look stupid and backward again. Hence, wait for it.........a national embarrassment.

And I can't find that in the article anywhere, and the statement about suing comes from yum foods, which is the American parent, not KFC Thailand.

If you are Thai, I am glad you are outraged, but I believe you are in a a very small amount of people in Thailand who even know about this restaurant.

Was it you or the article who claimed it's a national embarrassment?

Edited by Thai at Heart

I find it really funny how quickly these forum threads turn in to a tennis match, almost as good as Sunday's mens final at Wimbledon.

On the note of the actual OP, I believe that all trademarked logo's and the relevant companies involved, are allowed to sue whoever uses their logo without the strict permission of the owner.

Now, back to reality. TIT whistling.gif

• Like 2

KFC and the Thai government must close them up. It is an infringement of intellectual property and its use in the most heinous and egregious form with this Thai Hitler/Nazi thing.

The Thai Government would have approved the business name when the owners registered the business. Would it not be a loss of face if they had to admit they were wrong and forced by a multi national to withdraw the name?

• Like 1

Don't like their chances of suing a Thai.. KFC will probably get charged under the defamation laws for publically embarrassing a thai. A little like the Thai girl who reports assaults by her boyfriend to the BIB and then he sues her for doing so.

KFC, or rather Yum Brands, the parent, is not exactly guilt-free itself: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/9200106/KFC-apologises-for-Thailand-earthquake-and-tsunami-promotion.html