'Hitler' Fried Chicken: KFC may sue restaurant in Thailand

webfact

There are lots of businesses in Thailand, they are breaching international commerce laws. Who cares in Thailand.

Mai Pen Rai.

If strict legal action taken against them, they will say, Mai Roo.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a national embarrassment, and KFC are giving it free publicity by doing this.

Who said it was a national embarrassment? Anything about this in the domestic press?

That in itself is a national embarrassment too. Word of this gets into the Western press and it will make the country look stupid and backward again. Hence, wait for it.........a national embarrassment.

There's no excuse for this level of stupidity.

Too late . . . they know already.

I think Thais see Hitler in the same way some naive Westerners view Mao - as little more than a historical Icon worth plastering over the walls of their university dorm.

A parody on the Luftwaffe logo would have been a better fit for a chicken restaurant.

• Like 1

Don't like their chances of suing a Thai.. KFC will probably get charged under the defamation laws for publically embarrassing a thai. A little like the Thai girl who reports assaults by her boyfriend to the BIB and then he sues her for doing so.

KFC, or rather Yum Brands, the parent, is not exactly guilt-free itself: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/9200106/KFC-apologises-for-Thailand-earthquake-and-tsunami-promotion.html

They have also been accused in Australia of using racism in their commercials. Using West Indians during a West Indian / Australian cricket match. Well offended Americans anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZaIhf41ctkM

Don't like their chances of suing a Thai.. KFC will probably get charged under the defamation laws for publically embarrassing a thai. A little like the Thai girl who reports assaults by her boyfriend to the BIB and then he sues her for doing so.

KFC in Thailand is owned by Thai. By the time they finish the owner of the shop will be on the streets begging for food

It's a national embarrassment, and KFC are giving it free publicity by doing this.

Who said it was a national embarrassment? Anything about this in the domestic press?

Thais embrace Hitler because he and the swastika are iconic and they themselves are to a man (perhaps 1 or 2 exceptions) uneducated.

But lets forget that 6 million people died because of this imbecile, yet show a Thai 'ho' and all he11 would break loose.

Not good for our image, it doesn't happen, not in keeping with Thai culture (sic) whereas "there is more culture in out of date yoghurt"

Thais embrace Hitler because he and the swastika are iconic and they themselves are to a man (perhaps 1 or 2 exceptions) uneducated.

But lets forget that 6 million people died because of this imbecile, yet show a Thai 'ho' and all he11 would break loose.

Not good for our image, it doesn't happen, not in keeping with Thai culture (sic) whereas "there is more culture in out of date yoghurt"

An offensive post that is incorrect and/or inaccurate in every detail.

Edited by chiang mai

I remember when McDonald's tried to sue a village store in Scotland for using the name and the Golden Arches. Maybe the logo use was wrong but the McDonalds had been in the area for centuries long before that clown Columbus and his pal Amerigo discovered America and look at the problems that caused.
Burger King tried the same thing in Australia taking a small family business to court. Burger King lost and that is why they are called Hungry Jack's in Australia.

Look up the history, it went a little bit different than that.

• Like 1

KFC in Thailand is owned by Thai. By the time they finish the owner of the shop will be on the streets begging for food

With all these large junk food corporations doesn't everything have to be approved by the Head Office in say America before anything can be done? All advertising, menus or intended legal action has to be approved by the parent company. It is the world wide brand that is at stake and not a franchise. The head office can withdraw the name and product from places like Thailand at any time it feels fit if it threatens the company reputation. Thais do not own the brand just the licence to use it which can be cancelled.

• Like 1

Don't like their chances of suing a Thai.. KFC will probably get charged under the defamation laws for publically embarrassing a thai.

I can't agree with you on this one.

KFC issued a master franchise agreement to a THAI company to own and operate KFC's in Thailand. Most likely, the local would be the one making the suit as they can prove both right to sue and damage.

lemoncake, on 09 Jul 2013 - 08:37, said:

That is what I think also.

• Like 1

I remember when McDonald's tried to sue a village store in Scotland for using the name and the Golden Arches. Maybe the logo use was wrong but the McDonalds had been in the area for centuries long before that clown Columbus and his pal Amerigo discovered America and look at the problems that caused.

It was my understanding that this was connected with head of Clan McDonald, who told them he could take away their using the name. Made me laugh

Edited by Scott
formatting

KFC and the Thai government must close them up. It is an infringement of intellectual property and its use in the most heinous and egregious form with this Thai Hitler/Nazi thing.

The Thai Government would have approved the business name when the owners registered the business. Would it not be a loss of face if they had to admit they were wrong and forced by a multi national to withdraw the name?

It probably was approved by a very low level government employee. No one is going to care if a clerk working for the government loses face.

Edited by AngelsLariat

Looks like Pepsi doesn't mind their logo plastered on the signboard though.

Pepsi went through something similar but without Hitler.

The Thai dealer that was supplying Pepsi in Thailand demanded the Pepsi recipe and of course Pepsi declined.

Then this dealer decided to try to copy Pepsi with no success. He copied the Pepsi logo and called it, I believe, "Best".

What's funny is the Thais hate the taste.

What a joy is must be to do business in Thailand.

KFC is a subsidiary of PepsiCo ......

You think that Thais think an issue like this makes them look backward and stupid. 90% don't have a clue what Hitler did.

They are largely oblivious to what the outside world thinks, and their outrage that anyone dare to criticise shows this perfectly. Criticism is only reserved for Thais.

A Hitler restaurant is greeted with "so what?"

I don't disagree with you, but how many westerners have a clue what Tojo did? Perhaps 'McTojo's Sushi Burgers' might even sell over in farang-land.

KFC and the Thai government must close them up. It is an infringement of intellectual property and its use in the most heinous and egregious form with this Thai Hitler/Nazi thing.

As I suggested in the other thread, they could have legal problems with KFC, and using a famous genocidal maniac who tortured and killed millions of people to sell it is not genious, it is stupid, and like spitting in people's faces. I agree they must be sued for this.

If it were for marketing, they could have called it "secret fried chicken" or something.

Edited by JoshuaCaleb

I both agree and disagree. It is a national embarrassment, but I don't think KFC are giving them any sort of boost, indeed, I applaud KFC's approach to the issue.

I hope they succeed in getting the courts to confiscate all of the income these t***t's have made from this venture, which should then be passed on to KFC by way of damages, thereby forcing this despicable blight on the city to close down.

I'm still in disbelief that anyone would frequent the place, and I'm not talking about the locals, but those who have stated here that they have tried their stuff and it seems okay...!!

Don't like their chances of suing a Thai.. KFC will probably get charged under the defamation laws for publically embarrassing a thai.

I can't agree with you on this one.

KFC issued a master franchise agreement to a THAI company to own and operate KFC's in Thailand. Most likely, the local would be the one making the suit as they can prove both right to sue and damage.

lemoncake, on 09 Jul 2013 - 08:37, said:

That is what I think also.

This Hitler/Nazi fried chicken store has been around for a year or so - It was already tweeted by a Daily Mail person 6-7 months ago. So the local Thai KFC folks aren't too concerned about it. It wouldn't be a surprise to discover that the Thai KFC people get some skim from that guy.

Certainly agree that KFC suing the restaurant will give the place's publicity another boost. Even if KFC won it would hardly stop the restaurant trading after a few cosmetic changes.

When you think how culturally sensitive Thais become when it suits them, you would hope that somebody in authority would recognise the merit in being sensitive to most Westerners' attitude to the single most evil man of the 20th century.

Having said that I don't expect the restaurant to have a name change in the near future. Can't imagine it being changed to Burger King of Siam.

And here I was, naively thinking the nazi stuff was all to do with cultural ignorance and loving the swastika.
But naming stuff after Hitler himself? <deleted> is that?

Good. I hope they do sue them.
The copycat culture here is ridiculous.

That in itself is a national embarrassment too. Word of this gets into the Western press and it will make the country look stupid and backward again. Hence, wait for it.........a national embarrassment.

There's no excuse for this level of stupidity.

I beg to differ... Being Thai IS the excuse for this level of stupidity....

• Like 1

As I suggested in the other thread, they could have legal problems with KFC, and using a famous genocidal maniac who tortured and killed millions of people to sell it is not genious, it is stupid, and like spitting in people's faces. I agree they must be sued for this.

If it were for marketing, they could have called it "secret fried chicken" or something.

When you say spitting in people's faces, I assume you mean thais spitting in the faces of some farangs. I don't think they really care how some farangs amongst 65 million Thais may really feel. It would be my guess that the business was opened to serve the Thai population and not the minority Farang.

Yes I do think the name is inappropriate.

When you say spitting in people's faces, I assume you mean thais spitting in the faces of some farangs. I don't think they really care how some farangs amongst 65 million Thais may really feel. It would be my guess that the business was opened to serve the Thai population and not the minority Farang.

Yes I do think the name is inappropriate.

All that drama when they could have simply called it Himmler and given him a black shirt and white bow tie

Just read the article to a group of Thai students and teachers....all they asked was how good was the chicken. They don't care or realize the significance of using Hitler's name and face in advertising. M6 students by the way.
I would say this will make bigger news in the West then here...unless it is really tasty chicken!

Although KFC (like MacDonald's, 7/11 and many others) is an American brand. Yum Thailand,

the sole franchisee of KFC in Thailand, is a Thai Corporation. See this link:

http://www.yum.co.th/en/our_brands_kfc.php

If Yum sue Hitler's restaurant it is a Thai Corporation suing a Thai.

KFC in the U.S. would not be involved in such a law suit.