'Hitler' Fried Chicken: KFC may sue restaurant in Thailand

webfact

It's a national embarrassment, and KFC are giving it free publicity by doing this.

I remember when McDonald's tried to sue a village store in Scotland for using the name and the Golden Arches. Maybe the logo use was wrong but the McDonalds had been in the area for centuries long before that clown Columbus and his pal Amerigo discovered America and look at the problems that caused.

Burger King tried the same thing in Australia taking a small family business to court. Burger King lost and that is why they are called Hungry Jack's in Australia.

I don't for one minute believe that. If a muti-national corporation sues you, you are going to lose. End of story. The same thing will happen to this toss-pot business. I'll bet you a month's wages that it won't be here this time next year.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Pepsi doesn't mind their logo plastered on the signboard though.

Pepsi went through something similar but without Hitler.

The Thai dealer that was supplying Pepsi in Thailand demanded the Pepsi recipe and of course Pepsi declined.

Then this dealer decided to try to copy Pepsi with no success. He copied the Pepsi logo and called it, I believe, "Best".

What's funny is the Thais hate the taste.

What a joy is must be to do business in Thailand.

Not quite.

Pepsi tried to buy out its Thai bottler. By a very narrow margin, the stockholders turned down the offer. The Thai company then decided not to renew its contract with Pepsi, and taking in a very large Thai partner, came out with the Est brand line of drinks.

There are lots of businesses in Thailand, they are breaching international commerce laws. Who cares in Thailand.

Mai Pen Rai.

If strict legal action taken against them, they will say, Mai Roo.

There was a place awhile back in a shopping center on ekamai and suk. calling itself "whole foods." A bit of internet discussion, someone probably informed the real whole foods, very quickly thereafter the place changed its name.

I saw this picture about 5 years ago, in somewhere like Ubon! It's an old picture and I'm pretty sure it's not in Bangkok as the friend who emailed it to me years ago lived in Ubon R

Edited by jucel

It's a national embarrassment, and KFC are giving it free publicity by doing this.

I remember when McDonald's tried to sue a village store in Scotland for using the name and the Golden Arches. Maybe the logo use was wrong but the McDonalds had been in the area for centuries long before that clown Columbus and his pal Amerigo discovered America and look at the problems that caused.
Burger King tried the same thing in Australia taking a small family business to court. Burger King lost and that is why they are called Hungry Jack's in Australia.
I don't for one minute believe that. If a muti-national corporation sues you, you are going to lose. End of story. The same thing will happen to this toss-pot business. I'll bet you a month's wages that it won't be here this time next year.

Burger King didn't sue the people in Australia that already were using the name, rather they (the Burger King chain) peaceably selected an alternative name. The only lawsuit over the name occurred years later when, after having used the Hungry Jack's for 20 years the copyright on the Burger King name expired and Burger King tried to get its Hungry Jacks' franchisees to switch their name over to Burger King. It was basically a fight within the corporation, with Hungry Jacks' owners taking on the parent company in order to keep on using the name.

Edited by AngelsLariat

Perhaps they will sue them for just not being kosher. cheesy.gif

But honestly I don't know what all the fuss is about, perhaps the owners of Hitler just dint know the history, or perhaps he is actually their hero, as he was and still is to millions of people around the world.

Or most likely its the fact the "logo" is too similar to their registered logo (no one is allowed to replace the colonel and the could not care less about the politics.

Perhaps someone should open a competing restaurant over the road and call it "The Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg"

Any way this is not new, the Thais have only copied the idea from Korea, see the pix:

post-110827-0-54939200-1373343271_thumb.

Edited by newermonkey
  • Like 1

As a Jew who has travelled to Israel and seen real footage of the concentration camps plus met people who their entire family was killed I am surprised that the authorities do not close this restaurant. I have lived in Thailand for many years and this restaurant just shows how stupid, uneducated and frankly dumb some Thais are and confirms the elite attitude some Thais have as we are number one and forget what the foreigner thinks. They will soon change their mind when tourism drops as now people around the world are amazed that a country could allow this in their capital city. Their so called new friends the Russians also lost millions in the war plus most of Europe suffered death under the lunatic who created the biggest war in the history of the planet. Shame on Thailand in 2013 is not more sensitive to the people that finance the country through exports, rice, cars, tourism etc Thailand is not a self sufficient country.

Go to Auschwitz if you want to feel the real experience,( having been there my self) we have been conditioned to react to anything Hitler with hate,fear,murder...so on, all true, the west and eastern leaders were just as ruthless,but less publicised and held back by curtain moralities, We as foreigners are making this a big deal, the Thais dont batter an eyelid!!

Edited by blabla1

You think that Thais think an issue like this makes them look backward and stupid. 90% don't have a clue what Hitler did.

They are largely oblivious to what the outside world thinks, and their outrage that anyone dare to criticise shows this perfectly. Criticism is only reserved for Thais.

A Hitler restaurant is greeted with "so what?"

You have your facts wrong, 99.99% don't know who or what Hitler did. Hell a large percentage don't know what the rice scam is.

So what. Some people in the west wear t-shirts with chairman mao and he killed far more. There would be no fuss if it was Stalin and he again killed far more.

+1000

I really don't understand where is the problem !

This is a storm in a teacup.

Hitler is a historical figure, after all these years it's no different to a image of Genghis Khan yet it stirs up so much emotion.

Ok, so the man was a power crazed lunatic, but hey..that's politics.

Would you say the same thing to a Cambodian whose whole family were raped and slaughtered by Pol Pot (there are many, many of them around for you to ask)?

I would like to see you go to Pnom Penh holding a sign that has a picture of Pol Pot and a picture of the killing fields that reads "hey,....thats politics"

What do you think the reaction would be?

• Like 1

KFC can complain about it, but can not take legal actions against a company that has a slightly similar display of there shop.

But for the shop to use a Hitler image display is very strange, and wrong indeed, and people are bound to wonder why they use the image of Hitler in their business.

As this aspect becomes now public knowledge, it is possible that the local authorities will remove it, then perhaps image of Stalin will be displayed in shop ... hmm

I would call it very smart marketing.or do you know any other bloody chicken shop in BKK the world is talking about?

It's maybe smart marketing, but it's also incredibly insensitive, especially to Jews. What would Thai's think if in Israel they opened a shop that was as offensive to Thai's in a similar manner.... if they can take that on the chin without protest, then I would say, "let it be."

You think that Thais think an issue like this makes them look backward and stupid. 90% don't have a clue what Hitler did.

They are largely oblivious to what the outside world thinks, and their outrage that anyone dare to criticise shows this perfectly. Criticism is only reserved for Thais.

Talking to my 32 year old Thai wife; she said back in her school days Hilter was known for what he did. And let's not forget most teens today know from a simple search on google. The matter of the fact they do known, but they don't care.

Agree with some of this but I would think that the percentage of Thai's being clueless to Hitler's and the Nazi's actions are closer to 100%

• Like 1

As a Jew who has travelled to Israel and seen real footage of the concentration camps plus met people who their entire family was killed I am surprised that the authorities do not close this restaurant. I have lived in Thailand for many years and this restaurant just shows how stupid, uneducated and frankly dumb some Thais are and confirms the elite attitude some Thais have as we are number one and forget what the foreigner thinks. They will soon change their mind when tourism drops as now people around the world are amazed that a country could allow this in their capital city. Their so called new friends the Russians also lost millions in the war plus most of Europe suffered death under the lunatic who created the biggest war in the history of the planet. Shame on Thailand in 2013 is not more sensitive to the people that finance the country through exports, rice, cars, tourism etc Thailand is not a self sufficient country.

it's not illegal to be offensive yet thank god.governments shouldn't get involved in legislating everything anyone can deem offensive

• Like 1

I would call it very smart marketing.or do you know any other bloody chicken shop in BKK the world is talking about?

It's maybe smart marketing, but it's also incredibly insensitive, especially to Jews. What would Thai's think if in Israel they opened a shop that was as offensive to Thai's in a similar manner.... if they can take that on the chin without protest, then I would say, "let it be."

Maybe our Israeli friends should open up a place called the Thammasat Take Away. They could have Samak's face instead of Colonel Sanders. They could serve flame-grilled tyre-burned student burgers or chicken-on-a-rope hung from a tree.

Maybe our Israeli friends should open up a place called the Thammasat Take Away. They could have Samak's face instead of Colonel Sanders. They could serve flame-grilled tyre-burned student burgers or chicken-on-a-rope hung from a tree.

Problem is, the percentage of Thais who know about the Thammasat massacre is probably smaller than the percentage that know anything about Hitler!!

KFC can complain about it, but can not take legal actions against a company that has a slightly similar display of there shop.

But for the shop to use a Hitler image display is very strange, and wrong indeed, and people are bound to wonder why they use the image of Hitler in their business.

As this aspect becomes now public knowledge, it is possible that the local authorities will remove it, then perhaps image of Stalin will be displayed in shop ... hmm

Good thing you are not a lawyer or you'd be sued for malpractice.

Sure, on day 364 you go and torch it to win your bet, big deal.

In Dubai they have DFC (Damascus Fried Chicked) Also looks the same as KFC. Nothings been said about that ! Well maybe the people who own it have a bit more money than KFC. This could be the reason why !