'Hitler' Fried Chicken: KFC may sue restaurant in Thailand

webfact

So you guys have bitched and moaned for a few pages, but has anyone worked out exactly where this place is???

Now comes the proprietor.

No just the voice of reason, most of us know Andrew Spooners full of hot air and guff, with a lust to get his name in print. So best find out if it REALLY exists and is STILL open, or it's not worth getting your knickers in a twist.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tsk, tsk, what a lot of hog-wash about something that was started a few months ago by a school parade. after all Hitler is just a name isn't it? I cant wait to see the dress code of the staff, would it be SS or Hitler youth mixed with a bit of KFC ?

Ve are going to play a little game of "Squash" wit zer prisoners, I zink the panzer's vill vin!!! After ve will enjoy a bar-B-Q vis chicks from the Fuehrers own restaurant en Bangkok.

post-110827-0-72651700-1373344720_thumb.

Edited by newermonkey

PETA wants KFC...

PETA want a good kicking - they are a nasty organisation that are more focused on their corporate profit than truly caring about animals.

The pissing contest is about a logo conjoined with a not-understood icon, if anything it's parody.

KFC tastes great, love the Spicy Zinger Burger, just wish the Thai franchises learnt how to do fries.

These overrun threads serve no purpose any more, TV should look at selling advertising to KFC or at least McDonalds - make a fortune in page impressions in these two HFC threads alone.

beatdeadhorse.gif

At least it would be funny if HFC used the by-line, "So Bad........."

Edited by Cuban

The “Hitler” restaurant, which opened in Bangkok last month, has a storefront logo very similar to KFC's but with an image of the anti-Semitic dictator responsible for the mass murder of 6 million Jews and millions of others in the Holocaust during World War II.

The HFC restaurant might have better food than those who're upset Austrian Fried Chicken.\.-w00t.gif

It's a national embarrassment, and KFC are giving it free publicity by doing this.

Who said it was a national embarrassment? Anything about this in the domestic press?

That in itself is a national embarrassment too. Word of this gets into the Western press and it will make the country look stupid and backward again. Hence, wait for it.........a national embarrassment.

There's no excuse for this level of stupidity.

I beg to differ... Being Thai IS the excuse for this level of stupidit

self-righteous know it all brain washed automated response: Your name is farang!!!!

You think that Thais think an issue like this makes them look backward and stupid. 90% don't have a clue what Hitler did.

They are largely oblivious to what the outside world thinks, and their outrage that anyone dare to criticise shows this perfectly. Criticism is only reserved for Thais.

A Hitler restaurant is greeted with "so what?"

You have your facts wrong, 99.99% don't know who or what Hitler did. Hell a large percentage don't know what the rice scam is.

Tablets, anyone?

^^ It was me, and I'm getting the impression your just fixing for a fight. Carry on. coffee1.gif

Not sure if I would call it a national embarrassment. To be that the nation would have to know who and what Hitler did. That is not the case here in Thailand.

If I had never been to Thailand and I was searching around for where to go on a holiday in South East Asia. I would not look kindly on Thailand if I knew of this disgrace.

I have no problem with the name but to hook it up with a war criminal and photoshop his picture onto a Colonel Sanders Would weigh in my decision. Or to use any other Nazi related paraphernalia.

Hopefully there will be enough of a stink over this that the schools will tell the students what he really did. It is obvious that they mention him. One school here in Chiang Mai had the students plan there own parade and they all came out as Nazi soldiers.

It's a national embarrassment, and KFC are giving it free publicity by doing this.

Who said it was a national embarrassment? Anything about this in the domestic press?

That in itself is a national embarrassment too. Word of this gets into the Western press and it will make the country look stupid and backward again. Hence, wait for it.........a national embarrassment.

There's no excuse for this level of stupidity.

Backward and stupid in the eyes of anyone? They think they are the envy of the world.

I don't know about that. I know a good number of people in America, including one university I studied at that couldn't differentiate between Thailand and Taiwan - so they wrote Taiwan as the country of destination of my girlfriend's transcript and degree diploma. Luckily, it somehow made it here even though this is Thailand and not Taiwan. Seems like the Thais who think they are the envy of the world have first got to make sure everyone knows where Thailand is, because as it stands, a lot of confusion still reigns. And then those that do know about Thailand will inevitably think of "whorehouse" and a place to find cheap hookers, land of scams etc. Hardly an image to be envious about, but well not my problem...

Hitler Fried Chicken's

New advertizing slogan:

"If you think a redneck colonel makes great fried chicken, you haven't.tasted the fuhrer's original recipe fried chicken!"

Their extra chrispy kosher wings are to DIE for!

The trouble with people who try to disguise antisemitism in the form of a joke, is that they simply don't have the intelligence to formulate something that is both original and funny......it usually ends up reading as a childish remark coming from an idiot and prize prick.

That's a bit strong old chap.

Sure not the thing to say in certain company but maybe he's just trying to lift the mood of the thread a bit. As Winstonc said, a lot of anger and history already. Sure we can piss and moan all day about it (and probably will) but why not let others attempt a bit of humour if they are up to it.

Please don't give me a history lesson now, I just think it's a little strong calling the guy a prick.

Jesus.. this story is ancient. The restaurant was in Ubon, and has since changed names. Even the original story in teh English tabloid was stale when it appeared.

Excuse me for not reading the past 7 pages of inevitable drivel.

On the larger topic though, there is this: (Not mine) :

-------------------

"The principal reasons why this seems bizarre can be located in western cultural prejudices and ideologies, rather than in any Thai failing or disability. A highly educated Thai once expressed surprise to me when he heard that there were no statues of Hitler in Germany. After all, China is full of Mao images, he reasoned, and Mao murdered millions of his own people, yet is still officially venerated. A more pertinent example that almost fully justifies his surprise is the statue of King Leopold in Belgium which still stands today, a man responsible for an estimated ten million deaths in the Congo, and whose massive crimes are largely unknown in the west.

Hitler (as well as the notion of 'genocide') has been the subject of systematic demonisation in the west for a variety of political reasons that exceed simply the crimes committed by his regime. His empire-building, based as it was on national supremacy and a fundamentally racist worldview, was consistent with British, European and American colonial projects, all of which involved piracy, mass-slavery and acts that would qualify today as genocide. The fact that this is not formerly acknowledged in the contemporary political culture of these latter, and yet Hitler's one-dimensional, cartoon image as a demonic and exceptional example of 'evil' is presented as popular history, and in some European countries, even prohibited from debate by law, is testimony to the meaning and application of Hitler in the west.

However appalling, the crimes of the Third Reich were not exceptional or anomalous when examined in the context of European colonial endeavour. These crimes did however mark the end of that style of colonialism in Europe, and of the ideas about race that were its foundation (except in at least some parts of the US), and as such have conveniently eclipsed comparable atrocities in the national memories of other European countries who were not on the losing side in the Second World War. So it is not surprising that a Thai, or any other non-colonising Asian, may not be as susceptible to the demonisation of Hitler, or even current ideas about racism, as we in the west are. Nazi kitsch, and the use of Hitler's image in a playful context, is as unremarkable as the use of Chinese revolutionary propaganda and pictures of Mao in theme-bars and chic souvenir shops in the west, which rarely raises an eyebrow.

To qualify this, as others have mentioned here, Thai education encourages the veneration of founding fathers and traditional institutions of power, in line with nationalist political interests. It is maybe fair to say that many Thais assume that other countries have a comparable or similar political landscape, within which a nation would naturally be reticent to demonise its own statesmen, regardless of the 'facts' of history. With the US as Thailand's principal basis for comparison, such an assumption can hardly be blamed.

China is a different situation. Mao still has influence and is not a national disgraced to the Chinese.

Hitler on the other hand is a National disgrace to the Germans them selves.

Also the Chinese have different views on things. They have statues of Genghis Khan recognizing him as a national hero in spite of the number of Chinese he killed.

In %s he killed more than any other tyrant in history. It has been said as high as 25% of the earths population.

• Like 1

Hahaha...yeah, right. You can't sue people in a nation with no basic concept of law, morals, intellectual property, etc. Like trying to fine a tiger or elephant for shitting in the jungle.

And why does any of this surprise anyone? Thailand sided with the Nazis (and Japan, more to the point) in the Second World War...case closed.

Ehhhh no, they didn't side with them. More of after a few hours of fighting the Thais realized they can't defeat the Japanese and allowed them to 'borrow their land' as a base into the british held Malaysia/Myanmar at the time. Thais gave up and said well yes of course haha here is a peaceful agreement for you to borrow our lands while we still maintain our military okay!?

then secretly go and start a resistance movement against the japanese. A sneaky move against them that they allied with the US to do this.

Japanese weren't a favorable group of people back in the 1940s. There are quite a few offensive terms used to call them and to this day the generations of WW2 still dislike Japanese people.

Jesus.. this story is ancient. The restaurant was in Ubon, and has since changed names. Even the original story in teh English tabloid was stale when it appeared.

Excuse me for not reading the past 7 pages of inevitable drivel.

On the larger topic though, there is this: (Not mine) :

-------------------

"The principal reasons why this seems bizarre can be located in western cultural prejudices and ideologies, rather than in any Thai failing or disability. A highly educated Thai once expressed surprise to me when he heard that there were no statues of Hitler in Germany. After all, China is full of Mao images, he reasoned, and Mao murdered millions of his own people, yet is still officially venerated. A more pertinent example that almost fully justifies his surprise is the statue of King Leopold in Belgium which still stands today, a man responsible for an estimated ten million deaths in the Congo, and whose massive crimes are largely unknown in the west.

Hitler (as well as the notion of 'genocide') has been the subject of systematic demonisation in the west for a variety of political reasons that exceed simply the crimes committed by his regime. His empire-building, based as it was on national supremacy and a fundamentally racist worldview, was consistent with British, European and American colonial projects, all of which involved piracy, mass-slavery and acts that would qualify today as genocide. The fact that this is not formerly acknowledged in the contemporary political culture of these latter, and yet Hitler's one-dimensional, cartoon image as a demonic and exceptional example of 'evil' is presented as popular history, and in some European countries, even prohibited from debate by law, is testimony to the meaning and application of Hitler in the west.

However appalling, the crimes of the Third Reich were not exceptional or anomalous when examined in the context of European colonial endeavour. These crimes did however mark the end of that style of colonialism in Europe, and of the ideas about race that were its foundation (except in at least some parts of the US), and as such have conveniently eclipsed comparable atrocities in the national memories of other European countries who were not on the losing side in the Second World War. So it is not surprising that a Thai, or any other non-colonising Asian, may not be as susceptible to the demonisation of Hitler, or even current ideas about racism, as we in the west are. Nazi kitsch, and the use of Hitler's image in a playful context, is as unremarkable as the use of Chinese revolutionary propaganda and pictures of Mao in theme-bars and chic souvenir shops in the west, which rarely raises an eyebrow.

To qualify this, as others have mentioned here, Thai education encourages the veneration of founding fathers and traditional institutions of power, in line with nationalist political interests. It is maybe fair to say that many Thais assume that other countries have a comparable or similar political landscape, within which a nation would naturally be reticent to demonise its own statesmen, regardless of the 'facts' of history. With the US as Thailand's principal basis for comparison, such an assumption can hardly be blamed.

As much as I was initially shocked by the whole thing, this is rather an interesting way of looking at it.