'Hitler' Fried Chicken: KFC may sue restaurant in Thailand

webfact

Putting aside the fuhrers genocidal tendencies, he still makes a pretty bad advertisement for fried chicken. I mean is a funny looking vegetarian with a flatulence problem, who was constantly off his pickle on methamphetamine the best choice to sell any product.......

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good marketing,and students/backpackers will want there pictures taken outside or inside,as most would not know or care who Hitler was

Are there not mongolian restaurants could Genghis Khan in mosts citys and he was not a very nice chap either

Jesus.. this story is ancient. The restaurant was in Ubon, and has since changed names. Even the original story in teh English tabloid was stale when it appeared.

Excuse me for not reading the past 7 pages of inevitable drivel.

On the larger topic though, there is this: (Not mine) :

-------------------

"The principal reasons why this seems bizarre can be located in western cultural prejudices and ideologies, rather than in any Thai failing or disability. A highly educated Thai once expressed surprise to me when he heard that there were no statues of Hitler in Germany. After all, China is full of Mao images, he reasoned, and Mao murdered millions of his own people, yet is still officially venerated. A more pertinent example that almost fully justifies his surprise is the statue of King Leopold in Belgium which still stands today, a man responsible for an estimated ten million deaths in the Congo, and whose massive crimes are largely unknown in the west.

Hitler (as well as the notion of 'genocide') has been the subject of systematic demonisation in the west for a variety of political reasons that exceed simply the crimes committed by his regime. His empire-building, based as it was on national supremacy and a fundamentally racist worldview, was consistent with British, European and American colonial projects, all of which involved piracy, mass-slavery and acts that would qualify today as genocide. The fact that this is not formerly acknowledged in the contemporary political culture of these latter, and yet Hitler's one-dimensional, cartoon image as a demonic and exceptional example of 'evil' is presented as popular history, and in some European countries, even prohibited from debate by law, is testimony to the meaning and application of Hitler in the west.

However appalling, the crimes of the Third Reich were not exceptional or anomalous when examined in the context of European colonial endeavour. These crimes did however mark the end of that style of colonialism in Europe, and of the ideas about race that were its foundation (except in at least some parts of the US), and as such have conveniently eclipsed comparable atrocities in the national memories of other European countries who were not on the losing side in the Second World War. So it is not surprising that a Thai, or any other non-colonising Asian, may not be as susceptible to the demonisation of Hitler, or even current ideas about racism, as we in the west are. Nazi kitsch, and the use of Hitler's image in a playful context, is as unremarkable as the use of Chinese revolutionary propaganda and pictures of Mao in theme-bars and chic souvenir shops in the west, which rarely raises an eyebrow.

To qualify this, as others have mentioned here, Thai education encourages the veneration of founding fathers and traditional institutions of power, in line with nationalist political interests. It is maybe fair to say that many Thais assume that other countries have a comparable or similar political landscape, within which a nation would naturally be reticent to demonise its own statesmen, regardless of the 'facts' of history. With the US as Thailand's principal basis for comparison, such an assumption can hardly be blamed.

Give the Belgians a break. It's hard enough for them to find famous Belgians to erect statues for as it is and you can't have Tin Tin or Papa Smurf in your city squares.

You think that Thais think an issue like this makes them look backward and stupid. 90% don't have a clue what Hitler did.

They are largely oblivious to what the outside world thinks, and their outrage that anyone dare to criticise shows this perfectly. Criticism is only reserved for Thais.

A Hitler restaurant is greeted with "so what?"

...............and your point is?

That Thailand doesn't care about the rest of the world, if it exists, but try mentioning jasmine rice, tuk tuks etc. elsewhere and they get upset

Enough of this inane crud. Thailand doesn't care about the rest of the world? A country with 6-7% of its GDP depending on tourism and almost 70% dependent on international trade? Right!!! Anyone who gives credence to your spurious blather will also believe that plants don't need water.

Sue.

Nobody should have the right to copy this Kentucky Fried Chicksh.t.

Even in the land of copies.

They have some sort of patent on wrapping lumps of bone and gristle in shit and deep-frying it? biggrin.png Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

You think that Thais think an issue like this makes them look backward and stupid. 90% don't have a clue what Hitler did.

They are largely oblivious to what the outside world thinks, and their outrage that anyone dare to criticise shows this perfectly. Criticism is only reserved for Thais.

That Thailand doesn't care about the rest of the world, if it exists, but try mentioning jasmine rice, tuk tuks etc. elsewhere and they get upset

Or the Saturday night skit for Roseta stone how to learn to speak Thai. That skit was so true about parts of Thailand.

It's a national embarrassment, and KFC are giving it free publicity by doing this.

Who said it was a national embarrassment? Anything about this in the domestic press?

That in itself is a national embarrassment too. Word of this gets into the Western press and it will make the country look stupid and backward again. Hence, wait for it.........a national embarrassment.

There's no excuse for this level of stupidity.

Make the country look stupid and backward again - but it is! Most Thais I know have no idea who Hitler was, what he did or what his poitical party stood for. The don't particuarly want to know either. Most wouldn't know the difference between Hitler or Charlie Chaplin.

• Like 1

The point is...its not a national embarrassment.

99.9% of thai population does not know what happens outside of thailand, the rest just don't care

Same in Britain. I hear that there's a popular pub there called "Prince Harry's Jew Barbeque"

harry_nazi.jpg

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

Jesus.. this story is ancient. The restaurant was in Ubon, and has since changed names. Even the original story in teh English tabloid was stale when it appeared.

Excuse me for not reading the past 7 pages of inevitable drivel.

On the larger topic though, there is this: (Not mine) :

-------------------

"The principal reasons why this seems bizarre can be located in western cultural prejudices and ideologies, rather than in any Thai failing or disability. A highly educated Thai once expressed surprise to me when he heard that there were no statues of Hitler in Germany. After all, China is full of Mao images, he reasoned, and Mao murdered millions of his own people, yet is still officially venerated. A more pertinent example that almost fully justifies his surprise is the statue of King Leopold in Belgium which still stands today, a man responsible for an estimated ten million deaths in the Congo, and whose massive crimes are largely unknown in the west.

Hitler (as well as the notion of 'genocide') has been the subject of systematic demonisation in the west for a variety of political reasons that exceed simply the crimes committed by his regime. His empire-building, based as it was on national supremacy and a fundamentally racist worldview, was consistent with British, European and American colonial projects, all of which involved piracy, mass-slavery and acts that would qualify today as genocide. The fact that this is not formerly acknowledged in the contemporary political culture of these latter, and yet Hitler's one-dimensional, cartoon image as a demonic and exceptional example of 'evil' is presented as popular history, and in some European countries, even prohibited from debate by law, is testimony to the meaning and application of Hitler in the west.

However appalling, the crimes of the Third Reich were not exceptional or anomalous when examined in the context of European colonial endeavour. These crimes did however mark the end of that style of colonialism in Europe, and of the ideas about race that were its foundation (except in at least some parts of the US), and as such have conveniently eclipsed comparable atrocities in the national memories of other European countries who were not on the losing side in the Second World War. So it is not surprising that a Thai, or any other non-colonising Asian, may not be as susceptible to the demonisation of Hitler, or even current ideas about racism, as we in the west are. Nazi kitsch, and the use of Hitler's image in a playful context, is as unremarkable as the use of Chinese revolutionary propaganda and pictures of Mao in theme-bars and chic souvenir shops in the west, which rarely raises an eyebrow.

To qualify this, as others have mentioned here, Thai education encourages the veneration of founding fathers and traditional institutions of power, in line with nationalist political interests. It is maybe fair to say that many Thais assume that other countries have a comparable or similar political landscape, within which a nation would naturally be reticent to demonise its own statesmen, regardless of the 'facts' of history. With the US as Thailand's principal basis for comparison, such an assumption can hardly be blamed.

The official party line is that Mao was on the right lines, but made some mistakes along the way. To really question what he did, would be to undermine the entire Communist party structure. It is virtually impossible to sit with anyone and really discuss with anyone in China about the cultural revolution and the great leap forward. I have visited there many times, and only one friend opened up to me, and her family suffered horrendously having been university lecturers at Nanjing University.

I find it hard to work out why the treatment is different between Asia and the West, but it is apparent that people would much rather let sleeping dogs lie, and not really vent their spleen about attrocities that have gone on in this part of the world. National unity outeighs raking over the coals of previous wrongdoing. This leads to a perception that people are ignorant of what happened at various times in theit history in Asia.

To a degree, it is caused by I believe, (and I stress I believe), the respect for the powerful, and defference to position. As bad as people may know inside themselves someone was, they don't see the necessity to demonise someone who was at a time extremely powerful. Call it karma, call it not rocking the boat, but self flaggelation, confession or, admittance of guilt by association, to salve the national or personal soul, isn't something you see very often in Asia.

It is sad, that anyone doesn't know about the atrocities of WW2, and even worse, that someone could tacitly support it, is horrendous. But there are ignorant people all over the world, and it isn't a requisite for everyone to know everything about the whole world. It does however, beg the question, how could someone not know ANYTHING about Hitler, but maybe the owner genuinely has no clue of any possible offence this causes? What a small world some people live in.

• Like 1

Enough of this inane crud. Thailand doesn't care about the rest of the world? A country with 6-7% of its GDP depending on tourism and almost 70% dependent on international trade? Right!!! Anyone who gives credence to your spurious blather will also believe that plants don't need water.

<deleted> - look at how Thais behave to foreigners, foreign culture and especially crticism by foreigners. Thailand cares about making money - period. If you believe any different then maybe you need to come out of your glass bowl.

You are entitled to your opinion and to express it, even though most Thias won't give a <deleted>. But, why do you feel the need to insult those who have a different view? Usually the act of the uneducated, ill informed and/or insecure.

• Like 2

99.9% of thai population does not know what happens outside of thailand, the rest just don't care

I would think they are misinformed about what happens outside of Thailand.

Look over all the posters here on Thai Visa who think Thailand is the most corrupt country in the world when in fact it is 88 in a list of about 176 countries. the posters here supposedly educated out side of Thailand are completely misinformed. How could you expect the Thai's given their schooling system to know the facts. They know about World War 2 but they have no idea of what happened in it.

It's a national embarrassment, and KFC are giving it free publicity by doing this.

Who said it was a national embarrassment? Anything about this in the domestic press?

That in itself is a national embarrassment too. Word of this gets into the Western press and it will make the country look stupid and backward again. Hence, wait for it.........a national embarrassment.

Well said I agree with the last comments wholeheartedly. This should never have been allowed by the Thai authorites or any other countries. A total invasion of human decency

I remember when McDonald's tried to sue a village store in Scotland for using the name and the Golden Arches. Maybe the logo use was wrong but the McDonalds had been in the area for centuries long before that clown Columbus and his pal Amerigo discovered America and look at the problems that caused.

These companies are entitled to protect their trademarks, as much as anything to protect their customers from being ripped off by imposters. I was walking through Shanghai a while ago and noticed an entire fake Apple store, not just a fake phone, but the whole store was fake.

Unbelievable.......then again counterfeiting is a national sport in China.

Its ridiculous all this suing .. for what?? is someone going to mistake one for the other? while I',m on the topic.. whose getting offended by this anyway? the only people I can see who would are Nazi's

This isn't new but it's been in the press outside Thailand. If it's been in the US press I doubt KFC had much option. There's quite Jewish presence there and I doubt they'll be pleased. The story has appeared in Israel as well so that's another reason. Even if KFC aren't successful at least the won't be shown to be taking no interest. There's also the problem of bad press for the Thai franchise holder. It may not mean much to Thais but bad press can lose money.

Apart from the Hitler aspect this is copyright infringement which is something the government is supposedly going to get to grips with so they may well want to take an interest.

I remember when McDonald's tried to sue a village store in Scotland for using the name and the Golden Arches. Maybe the logo use was wrong but the McDonalds had been in the area for centuries long before that clown Columbus and his pal Amerigo discovered America and look at the problems that caused.

These companies are entitled to protect their trademarks, as much as anything to protect their customers from being ripped off by imposters. I was walking through Shanghai a while ago and noticed an entire fake Apple store, not just a fake phone, but the whole store was fake.

Its ridiculous all this suing .. for what?? is someone going to mistake one for the other? while I',m on the topic.. whose getting offended by this anyway? the only people I can see who would are Nazi's

I can see how they would be mortified to find the Goose step, is nothing but a Chicken Step.

Hahaha...yeah, right. You can't sue people in a nation with no basic concept of law, morals, intellectual property, etc. Like trying to fine a tiger or elephant for shitting in the jungle.

And why does any of this surprise anyone? Thailand sided with the Nazis (and Japan, more to the point) in the Second World War...case closed.

Ehhhh no, they didn't side with them. More of after a few hours of fighting the Thais realized they can't defeat the Japanese and allowed them to 'borrow their land' as a base into the british held Malaysia/Myanmar at the time. Thais gave up and said well yes of course haha here is a peaceful agreement for you to borrow our lands while we still maintain our military okay!?

then secretly go and start a resistance movement against the japanese. A sneaky move against them that they allied with the US to do this.

Japanese weren't a favorable group of people back in the 1940s. There are quite a few offensive terms used to call them and to this day the generations of WW2 still dislike Japanese people.

That must be why the Japanese receive so much favourable treatment and are major investment partners, because their disliked so much??? thumbsup.gif

As part of agreeing to "allow" the Japs free movement in Thailand, didn't the Japs hand over the 4 provinces in the South to Thailand from Malaysia which they'd just overrun? Of course Thailand would have been focred to accept this generous gift so as not to cause offence.

Once the tide of war turned, Thailand was quick to identfy with the US and announce about its resistance activities. The US prevented the other Allies from investigating war crimes in Thailand and Japan to the level done in Germany. Ever wondered why?

• Like 1

COPY RIGHT TRANSLATED is RIGHT TO COPY...better stay at home as China owns trillions of dollars in AMERICAN Government issued Bonds...let china do what it likes seem us North Americans have lots to learn about saving..

Hahaha...yeah, right. You can't sue people in a nation with no basic concept of law, morals, intellectual property, etc. Like trying to fine a tiger or elephant for shitting in the jungle.

And why does any of this surprise anyone? Thailand sided with the Nazis (and Japan, more to the point) in the Second World War...case closed.

Ehhhh no, they didn't side with them. More of after a few hours of fighting the Thais realized they can't defeat the Japanese and allowed them to 'borrow their land' as a base into the british held Malaysia/Myanmar at the time. Thais gave up and said well yes of course haha here is a peaceful agreement for you to borrow our lands while we still maintain our military okay!?

then secretly go and start a resistance movement against the japanese. A sneaky move against them that they allied with the US to do this.

Japanese weren't a favorable group of people back in the 1940s. There are quite a few offensive terms used to call them and to this day the generations of WW2 still dislike Japanese people.

That must be why the Japanese receive so much favourable treatment and are major investment partners, because their disliked so much??? thumbsup.gif

As part of agreeing to "allow" the Japs free movement in Thailand, didn't the Japs hand over the 4 provinces in the South to Thailand from Malaysia which they'd just overrun? Of course Thailand would have been focred to accept this generous gift so as not to cause offence.

Once the tide of war turned, Thailand was quick to identfy with the US and announce about its resistance activities. The US prevented the other Allies from investigating war crimes in Thailand and Japan to the level done in Germany. Ever wondered why?

Many a fortune has been made by partnering with, supply to or providing access for Japanese business in Thailand. I sometimes wonder if this is the reason for the schism among the business community in Thailand about politics.

• Like 1

Why are Thai's ignorant for not knowing about Adolf Hilter?

Their news corporation isn't completely Jewish owned. As a westerner a lot of what you know about the world was learned from TV and a company called Associated Press. They have a complete monopoly on ALL international news. AP are owned by Reuters a news group that has been in the Rothschild family for 200yrs. Rothschild are the biggest donors Israel. Hence imbalance on that story. The amount of holocaust stuff rammed down our necks on a weekly basis by western media just goes to show you whos in charge of UK/US media. Stalin and Mao killed many many times more in the same period but the general population hardly hear about it.

In the states the anti defamation league is a very powerful force of lawyers who I can guarantee will be reading this.

So please don't complain/criticize Thai's for not wanting to get involved in our "his-story" becuase its questionable at best.

I'm sure there is some substance in what you say. However, the Nazi's committed vile attrocities against the Jews, and also many others. They also plunged the world into a devastating war. The Allies fighting against the Nazis included many races, nationalities and religions. Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, and other similar types have committed vile crimes but mainly against their own people (including other nationalities who were part of their country at the time). They did not plunge the world into war.

Jews are right to remember this sad episode in human historty, and help ensure its not repeated against any other group. They use information media such as newspapers, TV and Hollywood films because they are influential in these industires.

Even with all this, it's clear that many countries like Thailand, aren't interested in learning from history.

Next year is the 100th anniversary of the First World War. I'm sure there will be lots of media coverage about this terrible war with its slaughter and carnage. I wonder it there would be the same outcry and debates if someone opened "Kaiser Bill KFC" rather then "Hitler"?

• Like 1

Why are Thai's ignorant for not knowing about Adolf Hilter?

Their news corporation isn't completely Jewish owned.

I'm sure there is some substance in what you say.

Some substance? Really? To a tired old anti-semitic Jewish media control conspiracy theory? I don't think so, mate.

Somehow it's not too surprising that a topic about Hitler Fried Chicken would stir up some people who would agree with Hitler's opinions about Jews.

Anti-semitism: the "gift" that keeps on giving ... bah.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2