How is Surat Thani and nearby area?

dagling

Have visited Kho Samui a couple of times, once by plane and the next drive.

When we drove the car, we passed Surat Thani City and surrounding areas, without stopping for a closer look.

We think little of leaving Isaan (for a period). It is very beautiful on Koh Samui, but expensive and to much tourists / noise.

Will take us a drive down the coast from Hua Hin to Krabi to look for a suitable place to settle us for a while.

What is their opinion and Surat Thani City and surrounding area?

Is it beautiful scenery, beaches and entertainment? Or is it quiet and boring?

Other places / cities with gorgeous scenery / beaches in this area that can be recommended?

It's just a city, no beaches.

Ok, but is it a nice looking town?

Look nice;-) But I guess this is a VERY small town? How about Surat Thani City?

Maybe you should be more clear about what you are asking. Khanom is everything Samui is not but with a deserted beach. What exactly are you asking for? Udon Thani (IHMO - the butt-ugliest town is Thailand) with a beach?

Edited by mikebike

• 4 months later...

I lived there 7 years. It's one of those places where a lot of foreigners visit but don't stay, it's an embaradero. There are lots of good places in all dirrections though. Amphoe Mueang Surat Thani is the name for downtown, or just Mueang. It's a decent place, especially if you like to drink and hang out with other forang.

It looks very promising. Further north I like Prachaup Khirakan. IMO the most beautiful beaches in Thailand are there and with very few westerners.

How is the undertow in Khanom?

In PrachuapKhirkan, near Bang Saphan, the undertow has always been so strong that I have never been able to swim in the ocean. However beaches are deserted, beautiful, and few farangs.

Ok, but is it a nice looking town?

There are a few pics I posted of Khanom here .... quite and pretty laid back... if that is what you are looking for...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/54624-images-of-southern-thailand/page-2

As for Surrathanni City, personally I have never found it very attractive... but to each their own~! Nakon Si Tammerat is nicer IMHO!

I would say too, from the comment about Samui, that you not seen it all...there are some nice areas away from the maddening crowds!!!! wink.png

Surat has its OK points. All the basics for a westerner with plenty of places close by to escape to. Still some green in the city etc.

NST is a nicer but smaller city but less options in food and nightlife. Which actually works fine for me. Krabi is fairly decent as well. Live in town but hit Ao Nang, the islands etc with very little effort.

Note I would not live in any of those places without both a car and a motorcycle :)

If you want beaches etc try Trang, it isnt touristy but has lots of options(2.5 hours from Surat Thani). I live in Surat Thani and I like it here but I am not into bars/night clubs etc, just like the place and it has a lot of options to do things close by, it is very central to a lot of good places to visit.