• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

really you think so?

I know so.

Sorry, I was wrong, Poulter is FOUR shots off....

whistling.gif

Yeah happy for him at the end,strong finish and Poulter will most probably be runner-up! whistling.gif

Quite the one-two for Lefty in Scotland. Scottish Open last week, The Open Championship this week. Pretty amazing finish yesterday.

Good to see the OP's choice of a topic thread blew up. clap2.gif

Still hard to believe a Brit hasn't one this thing since 1992?

The PGA Championship, at Oak Hill, starts in 17 days.

Mickelson is the first golfer in history to win the Scottish Open and The Open in the same year.

He now has three of the four legs required for being only the fifth golfer ever to win all four majors at least once. Just needs to hit on the US Open.

Sir Nick Faldo was the last Brit to win in 1992.

Wish I could have seen it.

Well played Phil Mickleson, very well deserved winner .......loads of bottle

Truly well deserved. Good on you, Phil!

And.......KAAAA CHIIINNNNGGGG!!!!

Your not afraid to have a lumpy bet are you? Well done,mate. As a matter of interest,is there any other sports you bet on?

Gentleman i stand up and be counted even though the weather was not that bad for Scotland lol.

I wii eat a big mouthful of humble pie.

What a victory credit where its due Mickleson on the back 9 was amazing/

Potters

• Like 1

Great tournament, as always!

After completing his round on Saturday, Mickelson was asked if he had a "number in mind" going into Sunday's final.

He replied that his expectation was that a total score of one under would win the jug, and that even par would force a playoff.

As it turned out, his prediction would have been spot on.......IF he himself had pulled a hamstring on the practice range!

As far as the OP's topic goes: if I had started a thread entitled "Why an American Won't Win the British Open" before play began in each of the past 21 years, I'd have been correct in only 8 of them.

If my threads had instead been titled: "Why an Englishman Won't Win the British Open".....my record would have been free of blemish.

If an English golfer manages to triumph at Royal Liverpool a year from now, he will become the second of his countrymen to have done so since Tony Jacklin won at Royal Lytham and St. Anne's in 1969.

During that 45 year span, seventeen different American names will have been etched on the jug, twenty-five separate times.

Maybe there's more to it than just weather and heather?

Dont rub it in im eating enough Humble Pie as it is.Fantastic to watch

potters

• Like 1

Well played Phil Mickleson, very well deserved winner .......loads of bottle

Your man's a good judge,Keith.

He sure is,and my betfair account is looking a bit healthier thanks to him.

Edited by keithsimmonds

Great to see Poulter give it a good run as well. He was on fire.

Thought Scott was a big chance mid way through the last round but as usual for The Open it's really just a 'last man standing' event.

Great to watch.

Congratulations to Phil Mickelson - a fully deserved result with a scintilating final round.

It also shows that nice guys can win major trophies. I remember standing with my daughter, at Sandwich in 2003, as Phil patiently signed dozens of autographs and chatted with the crowd.

He is a great ambassador for the game of golf, his country and most of all - himself.

• Like 1

Mickleson on the back 9 was amazing/

Word!

I don't think people in general really comprehend what Phil was up to the last 6 holes. According to Phil it could have been the best round of golf he's ever played.

He was in the zone, simple as that. Back nine was, as you put it, amazing.

One of the worthiest champions the golfing world will ever see.

He is a great ambassador for the game of golf, his country and most of all - himself.

Word! I love the way he conducts himself on the golf course. And I love the way he carries a smile where ever he goes - during play and outside the course when he interacts with fans and crowds.

Mickelson is the first golfer in history to win the Scottish Open and The Open in the same year.

He now has three of the four legs required for being only the fifth golfer ever to win all four majors at least once. Just needs to hit on the US Open.

I think he'd be the sixth - the other five being Sarazen, Hogan, Player, Nicklaus & Woods.

Hats off to Phil - what a back nine he played! Feel bad for Lee - as he said himself, the wheels came of when he found sand on 7,8 & 9.

I think he'd be the sixth - the other five being Sarazen, Hogan, Player, Nicklaus & Woods.

Hats off to Phil - what a back nine he played! Feel bad for Lee - as he said himself, the wheels came of when he found sand on 7,8 & 9.

Of course. You're correct, my mistake.

bah....there's only one player who holds a carreer grand slam, something he won when 25% of the tournaments weren't invitationals...and another 25% wasn't a closed competition.

In my opinion, GS should be:

1. the Open

2. The US Open

3. the Amateur

4. US Amateur

And nothing else.

Until at least 10 starts are open to qualifiers the Masters is a joke, if you ask me, and should not be included in the GS concept.

Edited by Forethat

bah....there's only one player who holds a carreer grand slam, something he won when 25% of the tournaments weren't invitationals...and another 25% wasn't a closed competition.

1. the Open

2. The US Open

3. the Amateur

4. US Amateur

And nothing else.

Until at least 10 starts are open to qualifiers the Masters is a joke, if you ask me, and should not be included in the GS concept.

It would seem to be you against the rest of the golfing world. Even Bobby Jones might not agree with you.

Good luck with your argument.

1. the Open

2. The US Open

3. the Amateur

4. US Amateur

And nothing else.

It would seem to be you against the rest of the golfing world. Even Bobby Jones might not agree with you.

Most likely I'm not alone, and definitely not against the rest of the golfing world. It's called "opinion"; sorry if you have yet to experience the revelation that others have one as well.

1. the Open

2. The US Open

3. the Amateur

4. US Amateur

And nothing else.

Most likely I'm not alone, and definitely not against the rest of the golfing world. It's called "opinion"; sorry if you have yet to experience the revelation that others have one as well.

Oh, I think everybody that is a regular reader of the golf forum is fully aware you have opinions.

My opinion is that your opinion is wrong and is not shared by the rest of the golfing world.

You like polls so much, why not start one and ask the question about the majors? Specifically...should the US Amateur, US Open, British Amateur and British Open now be considered the four major championships.

I know how I will vote.