Why an American Won't Win the British Open

potters

Oh, I think everybody that is a regular reader of the golf forum is fully aware you have opinions.

Have you also noticed that I always explain the reason for my opinion and back them up with facts, where as you never do anything like that?

In this case, the reason I feel Masters should not be included in the GS is because it's an invitational. You can't qualify for the Masters. Sure, the Masters organisation claim you can qualify by "winning another tournament", or "rank within top 50 in the world". But that only means you get INVITED. Augusta can actually say no even if you are exempt by definition.

Augusta have a long and to some extent scary history. I guess you had no clue all caddies had to be black at the Masters until 1982 (at least they have cleaned up their act in this matter)?

A lot of people have asked Augusta "why not allow people to qualify?" But you see, that would mean they lose the right to control who get's to play their tournament, and for this reason my opinion is that the US Masters shouldn't be included in the GS.

And the reason I think the Amateur and the US Amateur should be included in the GS is because there is no finer thing in golf than amateur golf. And you can qualify for these tournaments...no need to get invited.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, I think everybody that is a regular reader of the golf forum is fully aware you have opinions.

Have you also noticed that I always explain the reason for my opinion and back them up with facts, where as you never do anything like that?

In this case, the reason I feel Masters should not be included in the GS is because it's an invitational. You can't qualify for the Masters. Sure, the Masters organisation claim you can qualify by "winning another tournament", or "rank within top 50 in the world". But that only means you get INVITED. Augusta can actually say no even if you are exempt by definition.

Augusta have a long and to some extent scary history. I guess you had no clue all caddies had to be black at the Masters until 1982 (at least they have cleaned up their act in this matter)?

A lot of people have asked Augusta "why not allow people to qualify?" But you see, that would mean they lose the right to control who get's to play their tournament, and for this reason my opinion is that the US Masters shouldn't be included in the GS.

And the reason I think the Amateur and the US Amateur should be included in the GS is because there is no finer thing in golf than amateur golf. And you can qualify for these tournaments...no need to get invited.

"Have you also noticed that I always explain the reason for my opinion and back them up with facts, where as you never do anything like that?"

Yet another snide remark.

Why do opinions have to be justified in the first place?

PS: You guessed wrong on your caddy question. I've known for years that caddies at Augusta had to be black.

I also know they didn't allow female members at Augusta until 2012 so you can save that little snapshot of history until a later date.

Anyway, now I am bored with this so you can have the last word or three.

Edited by chuckd

Why do opinions have to be justified in the first place?

Justifying an opinion serves two purposes:

1. Courtesy

2. It proposes an argument

Simply speaking, the one who provides an opinion without a justification comes across as uneducated without any knowledge about critical review or thinking.

In my case, I always provide a justification for my opinion, probably due to my academic background.

And as you noticed, in this case I made it perfectly clear why my opinion is that Masters should not be a major; "because you can't qualify"

For those of you who are not familiar with the Masters "qualification" process, you should know that you need to have played well in last years Masters OR other Majors. You can also "qualify" if you are ranked top 50 in the world or placed top 30 on the money list.

This presents an issue for those who didn't play last year or have just started their journey towards the top 50 on the world ranking. Compare this with US Open or the Open where there are separate qualification tournaments for each year, and anyone can enter.

AND, in addition, Masters is the only tournament where you are likely to see a handful of 60-70 year old has-beens shoot 84-87 or similar, even if there are other golfers with a realistic shot at the title without a chance to qualify.

Masters is a spectacle, despite an enjoyable one, that certainly shouldn't be considered a major until the best players are presented with a reasonable chance to play.

Edited by Forethat

Baiting posts have been removed, if you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, don't bother posting.

Edit: Another baiting post has been removed. It's rather ironic that the poster cannot see that he is continuing to post comments that are continuing to bait.

Baiting posts have been removed, if you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, don't bother posting.

Edit: Another baiting post has been removed. It's rather ironic that the poster cannot see that he is continuing to post comments that are continuing to bait.

I suppose you are right but that was not my intention, I will let other posters get on with it!!

I see that a left hander Americano won. These guys are all setting their goals for majors. They are all punching low shots and bumpen and rollen the ball many months before an OPEN in the windy isles. At least it is an open - not many national tournaments are.

Years back i played the 'Dunhill Cup' at 'the old course', 'King's Barnes' and 'Carnoustie'. I was thrilled staying at Johnnie Wither's dad's house and his buddy caddying for me. All the Scotsmen's said "watch out for the quarter to three rain",......<deleted>? I got to play Carnoustie with exactly that - rain blowing horizontally - what a great exciting day that was!

• 3 weeks later...

Something that irritates me is reference to The Open Championship as the British Open. It is rightly called The Open because, although amateurs were not permitted to play in the inaugural tournament held in 1860, ever since that time anybody who has reached the required standard can enter, even colonial types. This is in contrast to the attitude of some US players who, according to Tony Jacklin, objected to players from overseas playing the US Tour and taking money out of the pockets of the local lads. Rather a strange, and selfish, attitude for those natives of a country that has been built by immigrants. I believe that one of the most voluble was Doug Ford, of Italian stock himself (born Fortunato).