Visiting The Chiang Mai Immigration Office

Mapguy

Here's an attempt to group some comments on the office. There are a few threads on various aspects of the place, such as the pinned topic on in-line registration. Unfortunately some of the topic headers are obscure. Also, perhaps some things could be grouped together and searching simplified. Certainly, if someone wishes, improvements can be made on this effort.

To start, now, early July, the Immigration staff apparently has been able to get it together. It seems a different place than a couple of months ago. The system can be tedious at times --- some days are busier than others --- but the threat of mob violence seems to have disappeared.

This post basically covers showing up in the morning. It seems that 7 - 7:30 works now. But don't expect any on-site parking. Absolutely no parking on the road. The office next door is open only for motorcycles. The restaurant lot across the road has been locked up for some time. Both nearby gas stations have posted no parking signs. The LPG station has spent a lot of money on fancy signs and apparently has also asked the BIB to come around from time to time and lock wheels of those who have ignored the signs. Closest parking for cars is in the airport lot, only a couple minutes' walk away.

There is just enough room for about 20 to sit under cover outside the door. The cafe has chosen to block its area. Not nice! The rest spill out into the parking area. The door opens at 08:00 with an announcement of the two-queue ticket system. The first ticket is handed out at the door. If you get a ticket over #55, you are asked to come back at 1:00. There is also some limit, apparently, by process. Processing individual tasks began at 08:30.

The second ticket is provided at the information (center) desk where a preliminary document check is handled by experienced officers, not interns.

At 08:30, station processing begins. It depends upon what you want to do. There are five stations. Residence letters are done across the lot in another building. The TV set above the information counter has reasonable general instructions in English, but not a lot of detail. Some popular blank forms (TM7, TM8, and TM47) are available on the counter at the rear of the room. Voiced general instructions --- quite clear --- are provided in English and Thai. Pleasant music played! Now, there are basically seats for almost all, but it does begin to get more crowded as late-comers arrive.

Understanding that your mileage will vary, here are some sample processing times:

Re-entry visas, tourist extensions, etc.: Processing at about 20 per hour. Preparation is rapid (just a couple of minutes), but the wait for back room approval varies. Could be 30 minutes to an hour total elapsed time.

Retirement, student visas/extensions, etc.: Processed by one or, normally, two officers --- were being handled at 7 per hour. If paperwork is in order, interview time could be as short as 10 minutes. Could take 20 - 30.

Marriage desks (2): Slow. Only 3 per hour.

Transfers, BOI etc.: Quick, depending upon the amount of business, which seems light.

90-Day Desk: Very fast. (This desk might not be subject to the limit to 55 customers in the morning.)

On the mornings I was there, there were few confused people or those who hadn't completed their homework. More people with questions came in as the morning went on. These appeared to be handled smoothly. Few people were sent off for photocopying. Those who were were pleasantly surprised by an overhauled orderly multi copier operation!

To repeat, your mileage will most likely vary for one reason or other. Most important is to have your paperwork in order! I have never in years been asked for any strange documents, like a lease or ownership papers for a condo when extending a retirement visa, or have I ever been asked to verify money transfers from overseas. But I have always carried bank books (bank funding), entitlement letters (pensions), etc., with me. For dependent visas, you'll obviously have to prove dependency with marriage certificate and/or birth/adoption papers, or other proofs of qualified relationship. Other general matters? I think that the season and number of tourists in town has something to do with the extent of the workload. Certainly, the time of day does. But as of early July, 2013, things are much approved with the same undersized staff and small quarters.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting,

"To start, now, early July, the Immigration staff apparently has been able to get it together. It seems a different place than a couple of months ago. The system can be tedious at times --- some days are busier than others --- but the threat of mob violence seems to have disappeared."

I hope you are correct, I will test them out in the coming days.thumbsup.gif

Went for a 90 day AND re-entry permit 2 weeks ago.

Arrived 12.20 out at 1.15.....that's correct over the lunch period, one diligent immigration officer processed both applications on his lunch break. Just had to wait 15 mins to get the passport back.

Can't argue with that type of service, it shows some of the officers are willing to go the extra mile

I had a 9:30 appointment for an ED extenstion. Called at 9:15. Paperwork done, passport picked up and out the door by 9:35. Excelent work.

The online reservation system is great.

15 minutes in immigration, only once a year, can't beat that. thumbsup.gif

When they are good they are very good ,but when they are bad etc ...Hoping to get my Yellow House book ( its in progress ) ,so i dont have to go to that sweaty hell hole again .

When they are good they are very good ,but when they are bad etc ...Hoping to get my Yellow House book ( its in progress ) ,so i dont have to go to that sweaty hell hole again .

I THINK even with a yellow book you need to do 90 day reports, but someone will clarify.

I THINK even with a yellow book you need to do 90 day reports, but someone will clarify.

The Tabien Baan does not exempt you from 90 day reports etc. you can of course show it to prove residence as required.

Have to agree with Mapguy. I was there yesterday for my 90 day report, and for a moment I thought I was in the wrong office! No steaming crowds of sweaty punters, no queues stretching out the door at the enquiry counter, just a gentle hum of work in progress!

I always go at the same time on the same day of the week, and yesterday I was in and out in 6 minutes. Would have been even quicker, but the chap in front of me was late reporting and was actually being given a receipt for his thousand baht fine - first time I've ever seen that happen, the cash usually just gets popped into the shirt pocket with a smile, as dear Eek will confirm. But then there is a new guy on the 90 day counter, and they've got rid of all those interns who slowed everything down, shuffling the paperwork between them and achieving very little.

If they keep up this good work, then, along with the on-line appointments system, it might soon be pleasure to visit the place!thumbsup.gif

(Now if only they could do something about the parking situation....................!)

I will be very happy if the positive reports continue to flow in and to discover in due course that all the problems have been solved. Until that time I remain a newly converted visa agent supporter, happy in the knowledge that as things stand my time in the Immigration office is limited to one breif appointment per year, I can handle that.

I had a 9:30 appointment for an ED extenstion. Called at 9:15. Paperwork done, passport picked up and out the door by 9:35. Excelent work.

Is there some kind of check in for those who have appointments via the online reservation?

( letting them know your there? )

Thanks

Is there some kind of check in for those who have appointments via the online reservation?

( letting them know your there? )

Thanks

Not really, just show up ten minutes before and let them know you are there by showing them your appointment slip.

Then there is the extension of permission to stay.

I think anto isn't really sure why he's got a yellow book. biggrin.png

I have a multiple O visa valid for 15 months ,and doing a border run every 3 months .Why would i ever need to go to C.M.immigration ever again ?

I have a multiple O visa valid for 15 months ,and doing a border run every 3 months .Why would i ever need to go to C.M.immigration ever again ?

Because they are such nice people. And what will you do at the end of the 15 months.

I think anto isn't really sure why he's got a yellow book. :D

Seriously?

Not sure if you will get a multiple for that reason in a neighbouring country. In your home country possibly.

I got it already in Savanaket ( laos ) .Check it out .They dont even look for a bank balance (as of now ) but that may change .

Is that the same visa people get in Malaysia and now the consul in Malaysia has raised the bank deposit amounts for what they called a marriage visa?

Yes ,its a multiple o based on marriage to a Thai ,but Savanaket as of now still dont look for a bank balance .Malaysia used look for B100,000 ,i think now its B400,000 .

A lot more than I personally would want to do.

Now I pay a service to do it all. I spent 10 minutes at CM Immigration for the annual appointment which they set up. I walked in at the time of the appointment, signed, waited for the lady to go ask the new boss if a paper was acceptable, then I was gone.

Picked up my passport with the new stamp and a multiple re-entry permit the next day at the office of the visa service.

As I said at the top, this is for me personally... Each to their own.

By the way I do have a house book and it seems to make things easier when doing my extensions. As soon as the book comes out, there are almost no more questions as long as the proper papers are there.

The amount I pay the service is probably less than I would pay making trips on a multiple entry O.

Aloha

Edit: I could be slightly wrong on the 10 minutes... but it wasn't much more than that if at all.

A lot more than I personally would want to do.

Now I pay a service to do it all. I spent 10 minutes at CM Immigration for the annual appointment which they set up. I walked in at the time of the appointment, signed, waited for the lady to go ask the new boss if a paper was acceptable, then I was gone.

Picked up my passport with the new stamp and a multiple re-entry permit the next day at the office of the visa service.

As I said at the top, this is for me personally... Each to their own.

By the way I do have a house book and it seems to make things easier when doing my extensions. As soon as the book comes out, there are almost no more questions as long as the proper papers are there.

The amount I pay the service is probably less than I would pay making trips on a multiple entry O.

That sounds good and i used to have an annual retirement visa .Now i just like the excuse to travel out of Country every 3 months ;-) Next month i visit Rangon for a few days but last time i just went up to MaiSai and as a plus got some serious cheap shopping done there ;-)

Dunno, you tell me - these are your words ".Hoping to get my Yellow House book (its in progress), so i don't have to go to that sweaty hell hole again" .

Dunno, you tell me - these are your words ".Hoping to get my Yellow House book (its in progress), so i don't have to go to that sweaty hell hole again" .

The meaning is with the yellow book i dont have to go to Chiang Mai immigration for a residance cert .I buy and sell motorcycles on a regular basis .

I think anto isn't really sure why he's got a yellow book. :D

The meaning is with the yellow book i dont have to go to Chiang Mai immigration for a residance cert .I buy and sell motorcycles on a regular basis .

Then if you are in the motorcycle business surely your work permit would mean that you don't even have to do border runs?

Archived