Visiting The Chiang Mai Immigration Office

Mapguy

I have also seen a recent post elsewhere which noted problems with a clerk (probably an intern) returning documents at the central sign-in desk. That was unfortunate.

That was me. Generally she was fielding questions or requests fine and promptly, just that she decided to ignore me when I questioned about the 100 Baht (2000-1900) change being returned and was annoyed at my asking. Oddly enough, there were a stack of passports with receipts and 100 Baht stapled to them as normal.

In recent weeks, to handle the morning crush, I have seen one or two senior desk officers (not interns) taking charge of the initial disposition of needs at the central sign-in desk which seems a terrific improvement since a lot of important questions might come up at that time that are beyond an intern's knowledge. Who is fielding the initial disposition of requests these days?

Normally the intern is doing it but I was there yesterday (Monday) also and a senior official who has a private office off to the left side of the room was getting involved also. She was the one who called out my name for the online queue and handled my paper work and was a bit upset with the staff as to why it hadn't been called out already. Usually I get the lady at the far right desk and was waiting for her to call me up but she was only handling standard queue numbers. Appears the online queue individuals were forgotten about for a while.

This was at 9:00 AM and called at 9:20AM and in her office for 5 minutes and passport retrieval 30 minutes later. So can't really complain now can I? smile.png

Seems you have appeal for more mature types, han'som man! biggrin.png

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A visit to do a 90-Day report on late Friday afternoon went like this.

Parking at the petrol pumping salon across the road apparently still not permitted. Prominent no parking signs are posted there. I did not bother to look at the next station, but went instead into the Immigration office lot. A parking place freed up within 2 minutes.

Inside, about 2/3 of the seats occupied, and business was zipping right long. Went to the central counter and received my number which came up immediately. Did two reports with the guy commenting on how pretty my wife is. Good thing, too, because I was about to fall in love with one of the officers doing marital extensions while the clerk vigorously stamped my 90-day reports. Not only is she a looker, she is always smiling and pleasant ! wub.png You Thai Visa Assist patrons don't know what you're missing! Maybe it is time for 60-Day reports! ohmy.png

Anyway, total elapsed time including parking was 10 minutes.

because I was about to fall in love with one of the officers doing marital extensions while the clerk vigorously stamped my 90-day reports. Not only is she a looker, she is always smiling and pleasant ! wub.png

Would that be the one with the curly hair back left corner because I had my eye on her when there Monday? Very ebullient and upbeat lady. Made the waiting a bit more enjoyable watching her laughing and smiling.

No, the officer I'm so entranced with sits up front as one of the duo doing marital extensions where the unpleasant officer used to sit until, perhaps, she was thankfully transferred to scenic Mae Sot or the southern border! The back left desk officer does a variety of other things, I recall. But I shall follow up next trip!

Now, for those not so enamoured as Tywais and I, there are quite a number of very pleasant officers. One of the nicest men is the somewhat portly grey-haired fellow who seems normally to be doing re-entry visas.

No, the officer I'm so entranced with sits up front as one of the duo doing marital extensions where the unpleasant officer used to sit until, perhaps, she was thankfully transferred to scenic Mae Sot or the southern border!

Yes she is very very nice.

My wife & I had this new officer for our yearly marriage based renewal & she made the whole process a pleasure

compared to last year which was ok but a bit tense.

The other woman you speak of was tough but actually ok once you started talking to her about other things.

But I do prefer this new one for an overall pleasant experience

A visit to do a 90-Day report on late Friday afternoon went like this.

Parking at the petrol pumping salon across the road apparently still not permitted. Prominent no parking signs are posted there. I did not bother to look at the next station, but went instead into the Immigration office lot. A parking place freed up within 2 minutes.

Inside, about 2/3 of the seats occupied, and business was zipping right long. Went to the central counter and received my number which came up immediately. Did two reports with the guy commenting on how pretty my wife is. Good thing, too, because I was about to fall in love with one of the officers doing marital extensions while the clerk vigorously stamped my 90-day reports. Not only is she a looker, she is always smiling and pleasant ! wub.png You Thai Visa Assist patrons don't know what you're missing! Maybe it is time for 60-Day reports! ohmy.png

Anyway, total elapsed time including parking was 10 minutes.

Glad you got home okay Mapguy, it can be dangerous trying to travel pussy crazed. Great funny story, thanks. i wonder how many things the man said to you before you came out of your brains in the balls trance when he mentioned your wife, The dazed expression on your face must have given him a chuckle.

I just want to add to the chorus of positive experiences here, because I, too, had a very successful and quick tourist visa extension experience at the Chiang Mai immigration office today. Didn't know where it was exactly since this was my first visit but noted earlier references in this thread to parking in the airport, so I drove down airport road past the plaza and saw the sign right away. Since I hadn't intended to actually do the extension til Thursday, this was just intended as a casual recon to find the place and ask what I needed. I turned in and there was no car parking but there was one spot on my way out. Given that my means do not allow a car, I cruised in and parked my motorbike without trouble.

Walked in to a 2/3 full room and was helped by a very pleasant and helpful curly hair lady who was at the right front. Not sure if this is the one either Tywais or Mapguy is enamored of or not, but she was with me for a minute or two and was very nice and smiled as she explained what I needed. Despite this being just an info gathering recon trip, she told me quickly what I needed and indicated I could do it today, then directed me to the passport photo shop behind their building. By the time I returned 5 minutes later, my number had been called. I filled the form out and went to the desk. Mostly I interacted with the silver haired jolly guy, who even at one point touched my arm to call my attention to something amusing with one of his younger colleagues (I didn't mind), but also, there was a roughly mid-30s clean cut (not a hair out of place) guy with glasses and a gold chain who was a rather unpleasant fellow. I wouldn't say he was downright rude, but he was almost assertively standoffish. My brief encounter with him was the only negative today at the office, which was fine, although none of us likes being treated this way with no reason.

After 5 minutes at the counter with both of these guys, I was told to take a seat; my name was called in 6 minutes. Very painless! Bravo, immigration department.clap2.gif

Maanoi's experience compared with reports of very prompt re-entry permit service shows that from day to day, your mileage will differ!

There have also been some posts flying around that the "back office" staff is also assisting with initial interviews as well as processing. That's good news.

I have also seen a recent post elsewhere which noted problems with a clerk (probably an intern) returning documents at the central sign-in desk. That was unfortunate.

In recent weeks, to handle the morning crush, I have seen one or two senior desk officers (not interns) taking charge of the initial disposition of needs at the central sign-in desk which seems a terrific improvement since a lot of important questions might come up at that time that are beyond an intern's knowledge. Who is fielding the initial disposition of requests these days?

Another question: For a while, the petrol station across the road was not allowing parking (at Bt20), but is that so today? Nothing wrong with a 3-4 minute walk from either the airport lot or the Airport Plaza lot, but parking across the way might be helpful for those not too mobile folks visiting the office.

I just park at the airport if nothing is available after 2 or 3 loops. I have parked on site the last 3 times. Happy days and yes, huge I provement at CM Imm. Keep up the good work folks. I understand your situation!

• 1 month later...

smile.png Another positive experience with CM Immigration today, in at 14:04 (with an appointment at 14:30) out by 14:23 for a one year extension and a one year Multiple Exit/Re-Entry, all staff very efficient and very friendly. Let's hope it stays that way.coffee1.gif

Went to get a multiple entry permit and do my 90 day check-in today. Arrived at 14:04 and left at 14:18, with a free mint to boot. It doesn't get better than that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe better to go in the afternoon? :)

• 3 months later...

Busier during the high season. I went yesterday, March 4th, at about 9:00 AM. They were no longer handing out the blue queue number cards. Apparently those are only handed out until they start processing paperwork at 8:30. I was there for a 30 day extension on my tourist visa and was given number 101 at the information counter (the middle counter) and told to return at 1:00 PM. Since I had read that others with number 55 were told to return at 1:00 I figured I was pretty late in the queue after lunch. I had another appointment at 2:00 PM and knew I couldn't make that work. I opted to return tomorrow.

Getting an earlier start, arriving at 8:10 AM, I got a blue queue card from the information desk... number 105. They were currently on number 34. It took about a half hour to be called to get the number for the tourist extension queue line. I received number 60. I was not told to come back at 1:00 PM. I waited for a while checking the run rate of the queue. I started out at about 24 her hour so I knew I had a bit of a wait. I went back to my hotel for the free breakfast and to kill an hour or more. After breakfast I went back to check the queue... 32. The run rate had slowed to 18 per hour. I could tell by now that I'd be called around 11:00 AM. I tried to kill more time by walking to the mall, Central Airport Plaza, a couple block away, but found it doesn't open till 11:00 AM. The Starbucks there was open however. Back at immigration I was finely called at 11:10. It was announced that number 61 and higher should return at 1:00 PM. Apparently number 60 is now the last number before lunch.

It may have been stated before but I'll repeat it here anyway.

The official wanted only ONE copy of each (I had two copies of each and that just seemed to aggravate him): Passport picture page, Visa page with entry stamp, and copy of the departure form. SIGN each one of these copies.

Only one photo was required and the official stapled it to the TM 7 form. I thought it had to be glued or I would have stapled it on at the hotel myself.

Sign everything before arriving to save time. Some places want to see you sign forms in front of them, not required here.

The first line on the TM 7 says immigration. I thought it was for immigration office use; nope, write Chiang Mai (for the Chiang Mai immigration office) in there and the current date on the line right below. On the back of the TM 7 form write your phone number in Thailand somewhere. After getting the paperwork strait and waiting for the back office to process I was done and out the door just before noon; a bit under 4 hours.

I did my 90 day reporting obligation today. It took about 45 minutes to complete. Not exactly recording breaking time but better than a sharp stick in the eye. The immigration office was packed today with foreigners wondering why they were summoned to such a small, chaotic office to complete required immigration procedures. If I had a choice between a colonoscopy and a 90 day immigration reporting appointment, I would bend over.

It's all in the timing (usually). Yesterday I got there for my 90-day thing, arriving a little later than usual, at 6:15Am. The line was already out in the parking area but by 7:10 when they started passing out the queue cards I saw I was 21. Not so bad. By the time the place finally opened and began exchanging the queue cards for queue slips for what window you go to, I saw I was number 4 for window 2. Looking better. So, by 8:50AM I was out the door and on my way home. With the size of the crowd, the little amount of workers, and the small office I consider under 3 hours not too bad.

It's all in the timing (usually). Yesterday I got there for my 90-day thing, arriving a little later than usual, at 6:15Am. The line was already out in the parking area but by 7:10 when they started passing out the queue cards I saw I was 21. Not so bad. By the time the place finally opened and began exchanging the queue cards for queue slips for what window you go to, I saw I was number 4 for window 2. Looking better. So, by 8:50AM I was out the door and on my way home. With the size of the crowd, the little amount of workers, and the small office I consider under 3 hours not too bad.

I must have been right behind you. I got there at 8:30 and was out by 9:40. It doesn't really pay to get there too early from what I have found. Would have been out earlier if the two people in front of me had their forms copied and signed. The girl behind the counter really has a lot of patience.

I must have been right behind you. I got there at 8:30 and was out by 9:40. It doesn't really pay to get there too early from what I have found. Would have been out earlier if the two people in front of me had their forms copied and signed. The girl behind the counter really has a lot of patience.

I think I'll try your tactic next 90 days, in at opening (8:30) and see if I can get though it the way you did. For years I've been going really early to be up front and to get out soonest but maybe I don't have to if your way works. I just can't see how those high queue numbers can get you through and processed that fast.

Depending on where you live and whether or not you have anything else to do in that part of town, 90 days is often best done at 3 pm. I have walked in gotten a number and had it called before I sat down. Today it took 40 minutes, but still, getting up to go early is not worth it for 90 days. Park across the street at the gas station for 20 baht.

More fun when the monsoon's come. wink.png

Im really disappointed with the immigration rules here. My non-O was expiring early March, so, I went in exactly 30 days in advance to apply for extension. Everything was in order, except the lady looked up in shock when she saw my bank book and asked if the funds were still there? I said yes, as you can see from the required BANK LETTER that was dated yesterday, it states the account and amount. This, for some insane reason is not good enough, and we had to go to the bank and make a deposit of 100 baht and update the book bank. In my opinion this totally defeats the purpose of getting a bank letter, does it not?

Anyways, after the interview was told to come and pick up the visa early April!! This was Feb 7th I wooent in. It seems it does not matter a rats ass that we were there a month early, they will return the visa 30 days after the expiration date. Waiting 2 months to get a visa is very stressfull for someone that needs to leave for work overseas. She said if I was not back to pick it up on that specific day, it would be void.

Every year its the same, and that is why I went early this year, to try to avoid the conflict of me needing to wait for the visa, and needing to leave for work. And of course, last week I get notice of a job and need to leave, and had the pleasure of trying to expedite the process and pick it up within a week. To do this, requires trips to the head office on canal road, main office by the airport, printing of emails of proof of reason, a letter written in Thai asking for the visa in advance and photo copies of passport and stamps. And then to have to deal with the offices when their reaction is like you just asked them to stop the world from spinning. Complete gong show. You would think, they would have some sort of standard procedure to expedite visa in emergencies, but, they don't.

A bit off topic but needed to vent a bit as you can see.

End rant.

smile.png

What kind of extension were you asking for, retirement, marriage or?? I have not had to wait for the extension for years, just get it the same day.

What kind of extension were you asking for, retirement, marriage or?? I have not had to wait for the extension for years, just get it the same day.

Non-O based on marriage.

Retirement based extensions are issued the same day. Extensions based on marriage or WP/income status have to be approved by central office in BKK. Typically those sort of extensions take 2 months, in extreme 3 months. (I know cos that's how I apply for extensions these many many years)

Considering this ad is disgracefully on the Thai Immigration Website. I don't think it leaves much to the imagination as to how much Thai Immigration care about people fighting for a spot at 6am, in the rainy season.

http://www.thailongstay.co.th/

http://division5.immigration.go.th/news.php

Thought that one had died a death like the VIP Gold Card did until resurected with lower benifits.

'

Uptheos' concern about the rainy season is not an idle one, and perhaps he has been caught in the rain. Shelter (undercover seating) is limited except for the Burmese laborers, and I wish them no ill. Their problems are much, much more trying than mine, and they are probably missing a day of work (and being paid) while they sit, and wait, and wait.

I wonder, and no doubt we will never know, how much the company paid for its advertisement. But, whether they did or not, it is understandable that Thai Immigration would be grateful for the relief from hassle that a "service" provides. At least a service can get the paperwork in order, not a talent all foreigners share equally.

I did glance at the fee. Bt12,000 annually per person, I believe !!! Now, even if one lacks some sense of detail dealing with detail, that does seem more than a little exorbitant! And, in Chiang Mai, at any rate, you might still have to stand in the rain because you (and any dependents) will have to show your smiling faces at the office in any case.

I went to the Chiang Mai Immigration office today (11 March 2014) and I took some notes to complete/update this thread.

The office is very easy to find, just go towards the airport (it is indicated by road signs) and you will see it to your left. The main office is on your right as your arrive.

Staff

People were nice and helpful, and it is very well organised - well done Chiang Mai!

Timing

I got there at 7h30/7h40 on a tuesday and it was already pretty full. The main office was already open and distributing tickets, but no one was working yet. The person who gives out the queue tickets is at the counter in the main office in the middle. I got a queue ticket at 7h50 and was already number 58 (the person who gives out the tickets checks out the form and documents so I don't think it is possible to go get a ticket, then fill out the form).

The official start is 8h30 (Note that at 8h, there is what I think is the national anthem or an hymn to the queen & king, so if you see everyone standing up, stand up too).

I was called at 11h20, so, it took 3h20 for 57 people to pass - or an average of 17 person/hour (which is quite fast actually!)

Note that there is only one guichet which deals with visa extensions, tourist visas, ect...

The processing took a few minutes, I gave the paperwork and paid, and then waited until my name was called to get back my passport. Between the time of my turn and the time I got my passport back with my visa extension, it was only 15 min. One of the staff has a mic and calls your name and country, so that is easy to follow.

Facilities

I did not have any form prepared so I took the form I needed (you have the most commonly used form both outside the main office and inside), filled it in. There is a great little shop just behind the main office where you can do copies, prints and even photo. 4 color photos was 100 bahts, and 1 copy, 2 bahts. The people there are super nice and helpful and they checked with me to see whether I needed any other document (turned out I needed a copy of my passport ID page as well as of my visa page & departure card, each copy needing to be signed by me).

There is also free wifi, a little café and a fruit vendor, which is great!!!

NOTE: it was unclear from my internet search whether or not it was possible to extent a visa obtained on arrival - IT IS but only for an additional 7 days. You have to use the form TM7, pay 1900 Bahts, have a photo to stick on the form, as well as a copy of your passport ID page, of your thai visa and of your departure card.

So, my advice:

- if you can, make an appointment online (not easy since you need to do it a very long time in advance)

- if not, arrive at 7h. You can leave and come back (there is a shopping mall not too far away, the central airport plaza), or otherwise just make sure to bring a book or something to do.

- Try to get the form beforehand, and prepare all the stuff so that you can get a queue number right away

- Make sure you have your departure card with you

- Make sure you have cash to pay the fees

- Make sure you have your local address with you as you need it for the form TM7

- Be patient :) and nice to the staff - they are working very hard and the Chiang Mai office is much more efficient that any other immigration office I have been to, even in France!

I know..I know...I was living in Chiang Mai before...

Now....I go to my local office at any time on its working hours...I open the door, smile and greet every officer by its name. The office have very nice AC and confi chairs, but, unfortunately I cannot use it. Nobody in the office or..just a couple of people waiting for a call. I am "forced" just to walk to the proper window and seating there, give my passport to be checked in the computer system, and get a new stamp. I have to leave in 5 minutes, if not, I will have to chat with everybody...have a free coffee, and have fun practicing my Thai with the officers.

Yes...believe it...in Thailand...very close to Chiang Mai....but......I do not want to tell anybody...

My city is peaceful, safe, clean, friendly and very...very beautiful..and I want to keep it in that way. Sabai...sabai....

I went to the Chiang Mai Immigration office today (11 March 2014) and I took some notes to complete/update this thread.
The office is very easy to find, just go towards the airport (it is indicated by road signs) and you will see it to your left. The main office is on your right as your arrive.
Staff
People were nice and helpful, and it is very well organised - well done Chiang Mai!
Timing
I got there at 7h30/7h40 on a tuesday and it was already pretty full. The main office was already open and distributing tickets, but no one was working yet. The person who gives out the queue tickets is at the counter in the main office in the middle. I got a queue ticket at 7h50 and was already number 58 (the person who gives out the tickets checks out the form and documents so I don't think it is possible to go get a ticket, then fill out the form).
The official start is 8h30 (Note that at 8h, there is what I think is the national anthem or an hymn to the queen & king, so if you see everyone standing up, stand up too).
I was called at 11h20, so, it took 3h20 for 57 people to pass - or an average of 17 person/hour (which is quite fast actually!)
Note that there is only one guichet which deals with visa extensions, tourist visas, ect...
The processing took a few minutes, I gave the paperwork and paid, and then waited until my name was called to get back my passport. Between the time of my turn and the time I got my passport back with my visa extension, it was only 15 min. One of the staff has a mic and calls your name and country, so that is easy to follow.
Facilities
I did not have any form prepared so I took the form I needed (you have the most commonly used form both outside the main office and inside), filled it in. There is a great little shop just behind the main office where you can do copies, prints and even photo. 4 color photos was 100 bahts, and 1 copy, 2 bahts. The people there are super nice and helpful and they checked with me to see whether I needed any other document (turned out I needed a copy of my passport ID page as well as of my visa page & departure card, each copy needing to be signed by me).
NOTE: it was unclear from my internet search whether or not it was possible to extent a visa obtained on arrival - IT IS but only for an additional 7 days. You have to use the form TM7, pay 1900 Bahts, have a photo to stick on the form, as well as a copy of your passport ID page, of your thai visa and of your departure card.
So, my advice:
- if you can, make an appointment online (not easy since you need to do it a very long time in advance)
- if not, arrive at 7h. You can leave and come back (there is a shopping mall not too far away, the central airport plaza), or otherwise just make sure to bring a book or something to do.
- Try to get the form beforehand, and prepare all the stuff so that you can get a queue number right away
- Make sure you have your local address with you as you need it for the form TM7
- Be patient smile.png and nice to the staff - they are working very hard and the Chiang Mai office is much more efficient that any other immigration office I have been to, even in France!

Please re-post your thoughts about your immigration visits after you have been here for a few years. It will be interesting to see if you are still upbeat and bubbly about your visits. Generally speaking, people often start to wonder what the purpose of required 90 day visits are all about, unless you are heavily medicated or brain dead.

As the years go by, you will start to notice the immigration office getting smaller and smaller, and the foreign visitors being summoned there daily, ever increasing. Then you will start to wonder again, why you are being summonsed to this hot, dingy, chaotic office every 90 days.

Staff

Timing

Facilities

So, my advice:

- Be patient smile.png and nice to the staff - they are working very hard and the Chiang Mai office is much more efficient that any other immigration office I have been to, even in France!

Please re-post your thoughts about your immigration visits after you have been here for a few years. It will be interesting to see if you are still upbeat and bubbly about your visits. Generally speaking, people often start to wonder what the purpose of required 90 day visits are all about, unless you are heavily medicated or brain dead.

As the years go by, you will start to notice the immigration office getting smaller and smaller, and the foreign visitors being summoned there daily, ever increasing. Then you will start to wonder again, why you are being summonsed to this hot, dingy, chaotic office every 90 days.

Said it before.

90 day reports are a pain in the ass. Some of the other reporting procedures could most definitely be improved

They are part of the requirements that allow us to live here.

Find the optimum way to meet those requirements and deal with it.

Said it before.

90 day reports are a pain in the ass. Some of the other reporting procedures could most definitely be improved

They are part of the requirements that allow us to live here.

Find the optimum way to meet those requirements and deal with it.

Agree with both of you

Agree with CMN that one does have to wonder about the 90 day even though it is what it is & TIT etc.

But still even all the poor workers who suffer that office daily must wonder why the 90 even exists.

They have given their permission to extend a year so what good reason to check in every 90 days really?

But also agree with Thailand that it is just what it is & I am happy though that

this last year is actually better than the year before. But why-O-why even have it smile.png

Archived