How To Get An Airblade for Under 20k

losworld

Well not really but sort of. I am a fan of the smaller auto scooters. I think they are brilliantly designed for their intent and purpose but unfortunately lacking to a degree. I have had big bikes in the past and I have ridden most if not all of the smaller autos available here in Thailand. I normally rent the Nouvo Elegance and found it interesting how much excitement Honda has created with its new PCX. It is selling like crazy. I tried one and wasn't super enamored but fully understand the void it is filling. That void is the feeling of a motorcycle not an upright powered bicycle.

I have seen many here complaining about the small tires on the airblade yet the tire size is almost identical to that of the glorified PCX. In fact I am going to say that the PCX is really a rebadged and slightly altered Airblade. Yes that is what it is! Look at the numbers. Take the dimensions of the Airblade and make it 5 - 10 percent larger and add a bunch of fairing to make it feel safer. However, it is remarkably similar in proportions such as length, seat height, compression ratio, braking, tires and more. And the handling is remarkably similar except the Airblade is shiftier due to its slightly smaller size and lighter weight.

When the PCX came out the complaint of underpowered was remakably similar to the complaint the Airblade was underpowered. But I don't agree. What is a safe speed for these bikes? I would say 80 - 100 km per hour and that is what both bikes can do. Honda engineered the bikes for this and gave it torque rather than top end and it works. Also very good brakes. That is why I maintain in real world conditions the Airblade is faster than the Elegance. I can get around Pattaya a lot faster with this bike than the Elegance because of maneuverablility, braking and more confidence in obtaining higher speeds. The bike is simply more stable due to lower center of gravity combined with a fatter smaller wheel plus a more relaxed seating position.

Yamaha countered the Airblade with a larger 135cc Nouvo Elegance but did not engineer it properly. They did a shortcut moving the seat forward and up to increase maneuverabilty thereby further destabalizing the bike. The bike begins to feel unstable at 80 kmh and increasingly dangerous over 100 kmh. The guys that have been riding the Nouvos get on the PCX and think they are in heaven because they are on a much more stable machine. With the Yammy you feel like you could go over the handlebars any time you hit a big pothole.

I picked up a used Airblade and it much resembles a scaled down and in my opinion better looking and better handling PCX.

post-64939-0-26850400-1373562696_thumb.j

post-64939-0-11666000-1373562710_thumb.j

• Like 1

I always enjoyed the Airblade...with the exception of the ridiculously small footwells.

Yes these are the reasons the airblade transformed into the pcx and the click moved up to try and fill the void in the asian market. Honda miscalculated on the effect of the foreigners buying the bikes and the footwell is too small but this I believe was also design influenced by aesthetics. Additionally they miscalculated how fatass many foreigners are and that they need a bike to fit that fatass but also in proportions that do not make them look like such a fatass lol. In truth a 90 plus kilo man may prefer a larger bike and this they received with the pcx.

Edited by losworld

I just sold my Airblade 2006 for 17000, just 3 months after buying it for 20000 and spending 1000 in repairs...and in need of more costly repairs... I had all kind of troubles with it, was not easy to sell, and was not riding better than a Click I rented for a while before.

post-183418-0-87799600-1373609971_thumb.

I always enjoyed the Airblade...with the exception of the ridiculously small footwells.

Yes these are the reasons the airblade transformed into the pcx and the click moved up to try and fill the void in the asian market. Honda miscalculated on the effect of the foreigners buying the bikes and the footwell is too small but this I believe was also design influenced by aesthetics. Additionally they miscalculated how fatass many foreigners are and that they need a bike to fit that fatass but also in proportions that do not make them look like such a fatass lol. In truth a 90 plus kilo man may prefer a larger bike and this they received with the pcx.

I think I would be offended by the fat arse comment if it wasn't true. >_>

I am not so sure that the Airblade evolved into the PCX solely on the sales to farang.

At any rate the family still got a PCX and kept the Airblade. For the morning coffee runs to the village the Airblade remains my choice.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by dave_boo

I just sold my Airblade 2006 for 17000, just 3 months after buying it for 20000 and spending 1000 in repairs...and in need of more costly repairs... I had all kind of troubles with it, was not easy to sell, and was not riding better than a Click I rented for a while before.

You must have received a bad one because i just got off a two year old nouvo elegance and picked up the airblade for 16k and it is vastly superior to the elegance in my opinion. It is so much better on the highway, engine is smoother and importantly ride is much more stable and relaxed. I felt comfortable one handing a coke zero at 90 km on the way to motor vehicles in pattaya. I would not have felt secure doing it with the nouvo.

I am assuming you mean 1000 baht in repairs? If in dollars you could buy two used for that.

Edited by losworld

I think I would be offended by the fat arse comment if it wasn't true. >_>

I am not so sure that the Airblade evolved into the PCX solely on the sales to farang.

At any rate the family still got a PCX and kept the Airblade. For the morning coffee runs to the village the Airblade remains my choice.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think it had a lot to do with it. I would say the reason they jumped to the 150cc was in large part due to its ability to be "highway legal" in the US. This and two up riding coupled of course with the increasing buying power of locals here in Asia. And I was just joking about the fatass comment:).

Sometimes TVF members over think the situation.

Fact: All bone scooters are similar to anything else of the same ilk.

Fact: Honda, like all the manufacturers, will use what ever they have in the parts bin before they will design a new part.

Fact: The PCX 150 is no better than most other scooters, but it is bigger and slightly more stable on a good road surface.

Fact: All bone scooters are similar to anything else of the same ilk.

Fact: Honda, like all the manufacturers, will use what ever they have in the parts bin before they will design a new part.

Fact: The PCX 150 is no better than most other scooters, but it is bigger and slightly more stable on a good road surface.

I agree but for those in search of a more secure highway vehichle will magnify its advantages due to the inherent instability of the other scooters over 80 kmh.

So how do I get an Airblade for under 20k ?

lol actually I wanted the title to read "how to get a PCX for under 20K" as I maintain it is really a scaled down pcx that actually performs better and is more agile. Just check thai visa and baht sold. I scooped one with 20k on the clock runs great for under 20k (see atached pic). If you are interested I think the guy I bought from has another one for sale just pm me.

So how do I get an Airblade for under 20k ?

lol actually I wanted the title to read "how to get a PCX for under 20K" as I maintain it is really a scaled down pcx that actually performs better and is more agile. Just check thai visa and baht sold. I scooped owe with 20k on the clock runs great for 16k. If you are interested I think the guy I bought from has another one for sale just pm me.

post-64939-0-39692000-1373742870_thumb.j

Imo the Airblade is more unstable compared to the Elegance because of the shorter wheelbase and the smaller wheels. Seems to be a matter of taste. I am happy with my Nouvo Elegance. For me my Elegance is a "Tmax for less than 20k Baht" wink.png

Imo the Airblade is more unstable compared to the Elegance because of the shorter wheelbase and the smaller wheels. Seems to be a matter of taste. I am happy with my Nouvo Elegance. For me my Elegance is a "Tmax for less than 20k Baht" wink.png

Disagree if you look at the specs they are very close to that of the pcx which everyone says is the best on the highway. I had an elegance for four months and I can 100 percent tell you the airblade is so much more stable. It shares many characteristics with the pcx including wheels. A higher wheel is not more stable and this is why the pcx runs on 14 inch. Also as Jack Corbett pointed out Yamaha did what I call a dangerous shortcut to make the bike more manouverable - moving the seat forward and up giving the sensation of riding over the front wheel. Like I said I can drive the AB one handed at 80-90 km per hour sipping a drink try this with the Nouvo if you dare.

Edited by losworld

Well summarized.

And after riding almost all of these "dwarf-bikes", I find the newer Waves (with FI), by far the most suitable/stable bike.

Didn't like them before, because of their manual gearbox.

But with the Wave 110i full-automatic, the tide has turned thumbsup.gif

I have an Airblade too and am very happy with it. Very few problems in 5 years and even then the cost was very cheap. I agree that it handles much better than a Nouvo. I used my friends Nouvo for a while, though mslightly more power, I hated that you had to sit so far forward. The Airblade seemed more stable at higher speeds too. I could be wrong but I think that was down to the Airblade having wider tires than the Nouvo. I think most agree that the PCX is great for highway speeds, so if you are right and the Airblade is pretty much the same underneath as a PCX then that explains a lot. I often did weekend trips from Bangkok to Pattaya on my Airblade and it was great, full throttle all the way.

the airblade transformed into the pcx and the click moved up to try and fill the void in the asian market

I'm not so sure about that though. The Airblade 125cc is sold in other parts of Asia, Vietnam for example. I'm surprised they stopped selling it here, it was/is a very good scooter and with the twin rear shocks(like the Nouvo) it was good for the 'heavier' person.

post-80215-0-96547800-1373792860_thumb.jpost-80215-0-04661300-1373792869_thumb.jpost-80215-0-63540200-1373792879_thumb.j

I have an Airblade too and am very happy with it. Very few problems in 5 years and even then the cost was very cheap. I agree that it handles much better than a Nouvo. I used my friends Nouvo for a while, though mslightly more power, I hated that you had to sit so far forward. The Airblade seemed more stable at higher speeds too. I could be wrong but I think that was down to the Airblade having wider tires than the Nouvo. I think most agree that the PCX is great for highway speeds, so if you are right and the Airblade is pretty much the same underneath as a PCX then that explains a lot. I often did weekend trips from Bangkok to Pattaya on my Airblade and it was great, full throttle all the way.

the airblade transformed into the pcx and the click moved up to try and fill the void in the asian market

I'm not so sure about that though. The Airblade 125cc is sold in other parts of Asia, Vietnam for example. I'm surprised they stopped selling it here, it was/is a very good scooter and with the twin rear shocks(like the Nouvo) it was good for the 'heavier' person.

attachicon.gifHonda Air Blade 2013 - Front Angle.jpgattachicon.gifHonda Air Blade 2013 - Front.jpgattachicon.gifHonda Air Blade 2013 - Side.jpg

Mac it is not only the tires but the fact the center of gravity is far lower. Compare the two. Airblade runs 14 inch fatter tires with gas lower and seating further back. The noouvo runs 16 inch thinner tires with the gas tank under your arse and you sit much further forward in fact you will notice shoulder tension. Whenever I was on the highway I kept trying to sit farther back all the time. A a bicycle is quick proof as to the virtures of a high thin tire at high speeds - there is none. The nouvo engine is more powerful but not much more up to 80 or 90 km and it is not engineered for higher speeds above 100 km or even 90 km. The nouvo is a good bike if you are running lower speeds loaded with a lot of weight. Otherwise the extra speed is wasted due to poor ride mechanics. Sure I have had it past 120 kmh but I really did feel it was unstable. One good pothole and you have a high probability of going down in my opinion. But it does make for a more exciting ride:)

Edited by losworld

attachicon.gifHonda Air Blade 2013 - Front Angle.jpgattachicon.gifHonda Air Blade 2013 - Front.jpgattachicon.gifHonda Air Blade 2013 - Side.jpg

Mac it is not only the tires but the fact the center of gravity is far lower. Compare the two. Airblade runs 14 inch fatter tires with gas tank lower and seating further back. The nouvo runs 16 inch thinner tires with the gas tank under your arse and you sit much further forward in fact you will notice shoulder tension. Whenever I was on the highway I kept trying to sit further back all the time. A a bicycle is quick proof as to the virtures of a high thin tire at high speeds - there is none. The nouvo engine is more powerful but not so much up to 80 or 90 km and it is not engineered for higher speeds above 100 km or even 90 km in my opinion (one can also argue the same for the airblade but it is much more stable). The nouvo is a good bike if you are running lower speeds loaded with a lot of weight. Otherwise the extra speed is wasted due to poor ride mechanics. Sure I have had it past 120 kmh but I really did feel it was unstable. One good pothole and you have a high probability of going down in my opinion.