Stolen Post!

MichaelShort

Hi,

I don't know if it's only me or, but when I expecting post internationally it seems to be stolen?!

If it's not stolen someone have cut open the side of the envelope with a knife to "peek" inside and look for... for what? -Money? Who send money by post today?

Okay it is better that someone cut open the envelope than just rip it open and throw it away but anyway!

I have lost quite importent post this way and it had happened almost everytime someone send something. Official envelopes does not disappear but private ones.

I have send the last envelope to the post office on their request, but... likes that gonna help...

I suppose this is common, or is it?

Michael

Do you live in a house or an apartment. If an apartment, perhaps one of the staff is doing it. If a house perhaps the local carrier is. All my mail is delivered at my office address at the university and I've never had any loses in 14 years (that I'm aware of). Maybe get a PO Box for important deliveries so there is no chance of the first two situations happening.

It could well depend on the area that you live in, also the originating country. I recieve quite a lot of international mail from the US, UK, Australasia along with a load of internal mail, and these items are normally bulky letters. I cannot cite an instance where mail has been "tampered" with. International mail is often subject to pretty rough handling, and occasionally I get one that has a ragged edge, but not from interferrence, plainly rough handling.

Where does the bulk of you mail come from? It could be that it's getting opened/censored/inspected before it even reaches Thailand.

Interessting what you both say. I live in a house in 50100 area.

Lost post come from Sweden, UK, South Africa. They are normal envelopes A4, A5, and contains i.e. pictures, newspaper articles, also diplomas from training etc.

The post was tampered with and not accidental opened. Or more exacly the only one I got was cut open with a carpet knife on the side. The other ones I never got and they not returned to the sender either.

Hmm...my postman...

Have lost like 4-5 envelopes this way in an time of 2 years.

Edited by MichaelShort

I also live in 50100 , don't have any problems. Except my dog eats some of my mail!

Check to see how the address is being written.

If you are living on a soi your mail might go to the same number as you on the main road in your address.

If soi not written clearly can be a problem. Many people abroad are not familiar with word soi and write it 501 (looks similar to postcode).

I have had the same experience as you on 3 occassions in 6 years Michael, and I know from friends both in CM and in Bangkok that it happens now and then.

The best tip I can give you, which echoes what tywais was saying, is that you, if possible, have your important mail delivered at a business address instead of a house address, and that you ask the people who send you mail, to do so in business envelopes with letterheads - this is what I have done, and all those letters have arrived properly.

Another (tedious) option is to complain every time at your local post office (often better achieved by a Thai, but if you speak Thai yourself and are reasonably diplomatic it could work too).

If you have envelopes that have been tampered with, bring them to your post office and show them. Do not accuse them, just say you are not happy with the handling of the mail, and ask them to please keep an extra eye out in the future.

~

During the first few years that I have been here, I went through much the same and I came to the conclusion that it was the local PO or postman.

Let's face it, they deliver to upper income foreigners, mail could include a check or money (I lost both, my fault), they are making only a step above dirt in their paychecks.. There but for the grace of money go I...?

Every country has some form of mail that must be signed for at each step along the way; express air mail, registered, EMS, certified - all the way up to the very expensive but reliable DHL or UPS. If your mail is important to you, get the word out to your friends/family/biz associates and use these yourself.

We get what we pay for;

We pay according to what 'they' (the human race) think we get; OR,

We adjust what we want according to what we are willing to pay...

Up-2-U...

Edited by Dustoff