The Reason for Toilet Cleaners being present as you go.

Salapoo

After almost 10 years of living in Thai society I finally fully realized why female toilet cleaners are in there cleaning away as the men come and go, and go about their business as if they don't exist.

Unfortunately it isn't a nice realization, and is completely foreign to a Westerner, but is yet, so typically Thai (you will only understand if you've been years and years).

A visiting friend asked me about it and I began to explain that they are so low in society here to be almost sub-human, what they see doesn't matter in the slightest.

Not fully understanding I went on to explain that if they went in to a public toilet back home and there was a dog in there, would it put them off.

'No, of course not' was the answer.

Well there you, it's why a toilet-cleaner being next to them as they go means nothing to Thais.

Hope that helps. smile.png

Edited by Salapoo
  • Like 1

Never had the experience of a lass cleaning the dunny

You've never gone to a gas station or shopping center toilet with a cleaner in there cleaning it (the sinks, counters, floor, urinals) as the men come and go??

When will you first come to Thailand? :D

• Like 1

You've never gone to a gas station or shopping center toilet with a cleaner in there cleaning it (the sinks, counters, floor, urinals) as the men come and go??

When will you first come to Thailand? biggrin.png

No, cannot say ive experienced that. First came to Thailand mid 2006.......... never went home.

When will you first come to Thailand? biggrin.png

No, cannot say ive experienced that. First came to Thailand mid 2006.......... never went home.

Another one of those Thai things that at first surprise you then you just think of it as totally normal.....amazing that you haven't experienced that in 7 years? Wow you must not go to many public restrooms as it is very very common.

As for the guys who come up behind you at a urinal to give you a neck massage that truly does freak me out....but it seems to be totally accepted and normal in a lot of bars for hi so Thai men.....

• Like 1

It could be worse at least they don't have a human toilet roll dispenser as was my privilage to use in Portugal 20 years ago. Everyone got two sheets! No more! Or else meet the wrath of the Lady attendant.

BTW she looked like an inmate of prisoner cell block H.

CCC

OP, Salapoo:

"After almost 10 years of living in Thai society I finally fully realized why female toilet cleaners are in there cleaning away as the men come and go, and go about their business as if they don't exist.

Unfortunately it isn't a nice realization, and is completely foreign to a Westerner, but is yet, so typically Thai (you will only understand if you've been years and years).

A visiting friend asked me about it and I began to explain that they are so low in society here to be almost sub-human, what they see doesn't matter in the slightest.

Not fully understanding I went on to explain that if they went in to a public toilet back home and there was a dog in there, would it put them off.

'No, of course not' was the answer.

Well there you, it's why a toilet-cleaner being next to them as they go means nothing to Thais.

Hope that helps. smile.png"

==============================================================================

My Reply:

Pardon me, but I sincerely think you are completely wrong about this.

For one thing, this happens all over the place in Asia,

Japan, Taiwan, China, S.Korea, who knows maybe Vietnam and other SE Asian countries as well although I have only seen this happen in the 4 countries I have mentioned.

So what is the point in singling out the Thai women?

I don't mind it.

I kind of like it.

She is keeping things clean

Good for her.

But what you may not realize is that men pissing in sight of women, as long as it is somewhat discreet and not flagrantly offensive, is very much acceptable behavior, especially for family members.

The women and girls have all seen young boys pissing, as well as 10 year olds, and teens, all the time as the girls care for their brothers, and women their sons.

Do you think these women will suddenly blush at the sight of yours??? Not likely.

We do not consider the women who clean toilets to be almost "sub-human".

I wonder if you have been keeping your eyes open while you have been in Thailand and the rest of Asia soaking up and understanding, at a deep level, the culture here, as you say you have. I kind of doubt it but that is probably more something for you to judge.

But I will tell you one thing,

You really have got this pissing in toilets with cleaning women present totally convoluted and just plain WRONG.

I have seen this in Singapore 40 years ago, too.

And in DaNang during a very brief visit over 40 years ago.

Sometimes I am very nonplussed when I realize the actual lack of Thai-Asian cultural knowledge of some farang.

Or, maybe this topic is designed for just this reaction?

No worries,

It is still interesting.

Hope this helps you to see not through a glass darkly next time.

Edited by OldChinaHam
  • Like 1

Never had the experience of a lass cleaning the dunny whilst Iam using it but some geezer attempting to rub my shoulder mid stream............ had that a few times and it always ends badly for the rub'ee

Sir, I am quite sure you misspoke yourself when you chose the word "rub'ee"

I am fairly sure that you intended to use the word "rubber",

The creep should be the rubber.

And you should be the rub'ee, should you not?

Either way, this has never happened to me.

I doubt it ever will.

I would be surprised if it did.

But I would not become aggressive, or retaliatory.

I might just ask the guy if he were nuts.

And just walk out.

So what?

Big Deal.