Zimmerman not guilty in Trayvon Martin death: Florida jury

Lite Beer

You might have a point of the DOJ potential case being all politics.. But a civil case in a situation like this where the defendant is set up to get massively rich based on a killing, is totally normal, predictable, and fair. Zimmerman should not be legally allowed to make penny one on the blood of his child victim.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not over.

The DOJ may indeed file very serious charges and they have every legal right to do so.

Then there are the civil cases which will be easy to win.

Zimmerman will pay for killing Martin. He argued he needed to kill him. He may have gotten off on legal technicalities because Florida's self defense laws are absurdly lax for the killers, but that doesn't mean he is in any way an INNOCENT man.

Defense did not really argue stand your ground defense. They submitted the case on self defense which is not a novel concept found only in Florida law. This type of inaccurate reporting of facts and law to supports and motivates the racial animosity which is extremely unhealthy.

If he gets nailed civilly, so be it. That will be up to another Florida jury and neither you nor I.

Zimmerman was found not guilty because the preponderance of evidence supported his version of events. Trayvon attacked him, broke his nose and injured his head and so he shot him in self defense.

Broke his nose I don't think so. Show me the X-ray. Oh, he wouldn't let them take one surprise surprise. And the EMS didn't report a broken nose, his family physician took his word for it.

Another part of his fabrication. Not that it would have made much difference if he had, one good punch would be enough to do it.

• Like 2

You might have a point of the DOJ potential case being all politics.. But a civil case in a situation like this where the defendant is set up to get massively rich based on a killing, is totally normal, predictable, and fair. Zimmerman should not be legally allowed to make penny one on the blood of his child victim.

Don't buy his book. I wouldn't. What is he going to get rich as a poster boy for the NRA. I cannot help that. I think most normal Americans are repulsed or sickened by him as well as the situation.

• Like 1

Zimmerman was found not guilty because the preponderance of evidence supported his version of events. Trayvon attacked him, broke his nose and injured his head and so he shot him in self defense.

Broke his nose I don't think so. Show me the X-ray. Oh, he wouldn't let them take one surprise surprise. And the EMS didn't report a broken nose, his family physician took his word for it.

Another part of his fabrication. Not that it would have made much difference if he had, one good punch would be enough to do it.

Ridiculous. Like on the night of this incident he knew that whether or not he had a broken nose may dictate his freedom so he refused to let anyone X-ray it??? Please . . .

It's not over.

The DOJ may indeed file very serious charges and they have every legal right to do so.

Zimmerman will pay for killing Martin. He argued he needed to kill him. He may have gotten off on legal technicalities because Florida's self defense laws are absurdly lax for the killers, but that doesn't mean he is in any way an INNOCENT man.

Defense did not really argue stand your ground defense. They submitted the case on self defense which is not a novel concept found only in Florida law. This type of inaccurate reporting of facts and law to supports and motivates the racial animosity which is extremely unhealthy.

If he gets nailed civilly, so be it. That will be up to another Florida jury and neither you nor I.

I didn't mention stand your ground. I am talking about Florida's self defense law which is written in a way which gives way too much leeway for the killers.

It's not over.

I didn't mention stand your ground. I am talking about Florida's self defense law which is written in a way which gives way too much leeway for the killers.

Straight common law self defense law. Stand your ground was the only somewhat oddity and a lot of states have similar laws.

I had an open mind about the whole situation, but then when even the prosecutions witnesses supported the defense almost on every element . . . I was like you gotta be kidding me. This was a travesty of justice to bring these charges spurred on by political bs if this is all they had. Then I also started hearing about prosecutorial miscondouct and now the NAACP wanting 1983 charges. What? Are you frickin kidding me?

I have handled 1983 cases and this is not even remotely a 1983 case, yet the good ole lame arse president we have spurred everyone on and now has gone lame duck deafly silent when he should be acknowledging our legal system.

I would this same president would be coming out and congratulating the jury for a job well done and progress had their been a guilt verdict. This is wrong. Totally wrong.

Edited by F430murci

It was not that many years ago when everyone in the US was armed with a side arm and a long rifle if mounted. As short 120 years ago. There was a reason that people were armed and that is because you needed to defend your life in a violent world. Many are still armed today for this very reason. If you are going to attack another person with malice and intent, then that person should be able to defend his life. The courts realize this and that is why the laws are on the books. You do the crime, be prepared to pay for it with your life. Some forget this and think of Martin as the victim in this case, regardless of what the court and jury finds. No sense arguing the semantics as there will always be two distinct, polarized views on the topic.

The real question is, what does Holder and the DOJ do? Do they go after Zimmerman with civil rights charges and appease the black community while further alienating the white and hispanic community -or- does he abide by the ruling of the jury and piss off the black community. The POTUS also has political skin in this case after publicly taking a position. Which ever way they lean, they are screwed.

"It was not that many years ago when everyone in the US was armed with a side arm and a long rifle if mounted. As short 120 years ago."

You've been watching to many cowboy movies. That wasn't even true in the "wild west", let alone the entire US.

"Some forget this and think of Martin as the victim in this case, regardless of what the court and jury finds."

He may have been a victim and Zimmerman still rightfully acquitted: the jury did not determine that Martin was not a victim, merely that Zimmerman could not be found guilty.

"The real question is, what does Holder and the DOJ do? Do they go after Zimmerman with civil rights charges and appease the black community while further alienating the white and hispanic community -or- does he abide by the ruling of the jury and piss off the black community."

Do you actually believe such simplistic and bigoted nonsense as that?

AL SHARPTON: The George Zimmerman Verdict Is A 'Slap In The Face To Those That Believe In Justice'

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/al-sharpton-george-zimmerman-verdict-not-guilty-trayvon-martin-2013-7#ixzz2Z1dKB4Q4

"Well, I think that this is an atrocity," Sharpton said moments after the verdict was read on MSNBC.

"I think that it is probably one of the worst situations that I've seen. What this jury has done is establish a precedent that when you are young and fit a certain profile, you can be committing no crime, just bringing some Skittles and iced tea home to your brother, and be killed.

It wasn't iced tea. It was Arizona Watermelon Fruit Juice Cocktail. With all the racial undertones to this case I can see why they always refer to it as ice tea though.

http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/06/03/trayvon-martin-crime-scene-evidence-photos-george-Zimmerman

Who ordered the fried chicken with watermelon with a large George Zimmerman is not guilty verdict?

I heard the shout out of the order but I missed who made the order.

Zimmerman was there, and the evidence backed him up. You, on the other hand, have no evidence to refute him.

So more people will kill more people now because by doing so they kill the witness.

No, there is always a witness called forensic evidence. There was a lot of it. In Florida as in many states, you may shoot someone to "avoid serious bodily harm." Zimmerman's nose was broken and his head was being pounded into the concrete. He shot Martin to avoid serious bodily harm, and for all he knew, death.

The jury got it right.

Zimmerman shot to kill an unarmed guy. Zimmerman went to the gated estate with a gun. He used language that indicated hostility toward Martin, a kind he'd never meet or seen before, which is profiling. Zimmerman is an out and out murderer.

Zimmerman ignored the fatally wounded Martin because Zimmerman had done what he set out to do.

Kill.

Another poster who has magical powers.

Your post misrepresents me, cynically and arrogantly so.

It did? A joke (admittedly mocking your bold claim) misrepresented you? How?

You state, as if it is absolute fact, what Zimmerman's intent was. You could rightly only do so with the help of supernatural gifts - hence my facetious comment.

But tell me - how have I misrepresented you? (Let alone cynically and arrogantly).

So more people will kill more people now because by doing so they kill the witness.

No, there is always a witness called forensic evidence. There was a lot of it. In Florida as in many states, you may shoot someone to "avoid serious bodily harm." Zimmerman's nose was broken and his head was being pounded into the concrete. He shot Martin to avoid serious bodily harm, and for all he knew, death.

The jury got it right.

Zimmerman shot to kill an unarmed guy. Zimmerman went to the gated estate with a gun. He used language that indicated hostility toward Martin, a kind he'd never meet or seen before, which is profiling. Zimmerman is an out and out murderer.

Wow. As bad as the prosecution's case was made, your presentation is even far worse.

A sniper who misses so many of his shots is of no use to anyone.

Your racial analysis is WRONG.

White liberals want Zimmerman to pay for the murder.

Latinos largely want the same thing as white liberals.

Its simplistic to assume they side with the killer Zimmerman because he is 1/2 Hispanic.

Of course most of the black community also wants Zimmerman to pay.

Right wing whites mostly want to gloss this over and for this to be over now.

But it is NOT over.

Yes it's a very divisive situation.

When you add the white liberals, majority of Latinos, and almost all blacks, you've got a MAJORITY of Americans who still care that the killer faces the consequences of his actions.

BTW, Zimmerman can potentially face the death penalty under federal charges. Not saying that will happen, but it's interesting that it is even possible.

It seems like almost everybody wants Zimmerman to pay - except the people who saw the evidence.

Why don't these people focus their energies on the hundreds of "Trayvons" gunned down in Chicago every year? Is it somehow OK to kill you blacks if it is another black doing the killing?

"You blacks..."?

I don't think he should either. Has there been any rumor or plan that he intends to?

Its simplistic to assume they side with the killer Zimmerman because he is 1/2 Hispanic.

But it is NOT over.

When you add the white liberals, majority of Latinos, and almost all blacks, you've got a MAJORITY of Americans who still care that the killer faces the consequences of his actions.

BTW, Zimmerman can potentially face the death penalty under federal charges. Not saying that will happen, but it's interesting that it is even possible.

It seems like almost everybody wants Zimmerman to pay - except the people who saw the evidence.

Why don't these people focus their energies on the hundreds of "Trayvons" gunned down in Chicago every year? Is it somehow OK to kill you blacks if it is another black doing the killing?

"You blacks..."?

Sorry about that. I changed my sentence midway but didn't read the finished version closely enough before posting. That "you" doesn't belong and I have edited the original post. It sounded kind of odd, didn't it?

I hate it when people call Martin a child. Martin was not a child. A child walking home on a dark, rainy night being followed by a man he doesn't know DOES NOT confront the man. A child runs home to get safe.
  • Like 2

I hate it when people call Martin a child. Martin was not a child. A child walking home on a dark, rainy night being followed by a man he doesn't know DOES NOT confront the man. A child runs home to get safe.

Yeah, child denotes someone in a position of vulnerability. Sounds like Martin could take care of business and was whopping some arse.

And a guy weighing more than the"kid" ,and with MMA training, lied enough times for a lifetime to cover up the fact he shot an unarmed kid through the chest and then turned him over.As Trayvon told his friend at the time ,"this creepy ass cracker". is following me. This is another example of Floridas screwed up laws and state, They haven,t really got it right back as far not being able to count votes in 2000.

• Like 2

Under the law, he was a child. Just a few days over age 16.

And a guy weighing more than the"kid" ,and with MMA training, lied enough times for a lifetime to cover up the fact he shot an unarmed kid through the chest and then turned him over.As Trayvon told his friend at the time ,"this creepy ass cracker". is following me. This is another example of Floridas screwed up laws and state, They haven,t really got it right back as far not being able to count votes in 2000.

Hear! Hear!

But it is NOT over.

Then have the State Legislators change the laws in all states that have Stand Your Ground laws on the books. Anything other than that is whining injustice and speaking out against the fundamental system which formed this country. You don't like it, then vote out your current representatives. Simple as that really.

You're right though, it's not over. Harry Reid has just spoken for the Senate. Let the Senate attempt to pass federal legislation outlawing Stand Your Ground. I would like to see them try.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/07/14/Reid-Zimmerman-not-over

On Sunday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) asked for the Justice Department to prosecute George Zimmerman, who was acquitted Saturday night in the killing of Trayvon Martin. “I think the Justice Department is going to take a look at this,” Reid told NBC’s Meet the Press. “This isn’t over with and I think that’s good. That’s our system, it’s gotten better, not worse.”

If you get objective fact like age wrong, it is hard to be persuasive on other information about case.

I thought he was 17 born in February of 1995. He was 6'2" and 175 reported by family. Zimmerman was 5'9" at booking, maybe in shoes, and has reported to be 5'7" and weighed about 175 to 185 in night of incident.

If you get objective fact like age wrong, it is hard to be persuasive on other information about case.

I thought he was 17 born in February of 1995. He was 6'2" and 175 reported by family. Zimmerman was 5'9" at booking, maybe in shoes, and has reported to be 5'7" and weighed about 175 to 185 in night of incident.

Oh please. I meant OF COURSE he was murdered while he was age 17, but that he had just recently TURNED 17. You really didn't get that? Clue: the word OVER. facepalm.gif Again, under the law, a CHILD until age 18. This detail is not trivial. IF he had been convicted of manslaughter, my understanding is his sentence would be harsher because the victim was a minor.

Edited by Jingthing

Reports are sketchy, but on average Martin was 6 inches taller and Zimmerman weighed 10 pounds more.

I would much rather tangle with a pudgy 5'7" than an athletic 6'2".

Oh please. I meant OF COURSE he was murdered while he was age 17, but that he had just recently TURNED 17. You really didn't get that? Again, under the law, a CHILD until age 18. This detail is not trivial. IF he had been convicted of manslaughter, my understanding is his sentence would be harsher because the victim was a minor.

Just a few days over 16 is what I would use to say turned 16 a few days ago. Very misleading.

These were your words, not mine:

"Under the law, he was a child. Just a few days over age 16"

Edited by F430murci

It was not that many years ago when everyone in the US was armed with a side arm and a long rifle if mounted. As short 120 years ago. There was a reason that people were armed and that is because you needed to defend your life in a violent world. Many are still armed today for this very reason. If you are going to attack another person with malice and intent, then that person should be able to defend his life. The courts realize this and that is why the laws are on the books. You do the crime, be prepared to pay for it with your life. Some forget this and think of Martin as the victim in this case, regardless of what the court and jury finds. No sense arguing the semantics as there will always be two distinct, polarized views on the topic.

The real question is, what does Holder and the DOJ do? Do they go after Zimmerman with civil rights charges and appease the black community while further alienating the white and hispanic community -or- does he abide by the ruling of the jury and piss off the black community. The POTUS also has political skin in this case after publicly taking a position. Which ever way they lean, they are screwed.

"It was not that many years ago when everyone in the US was armed with a side arm and a long rifle if mounted. As short 120 years ago."

You've been watching to many cowboy movies. That wasn't even true in the "wild west", let alone the entire US.

"Some forget this and think of Martin as the victim in this case, regardless of what the court and jury finds."

He may have been a victim and Zimmerman still rightfully acquitted: the jury did not determine that Martin was not a victim, merely that Zimmerman could not be found guilty.

"The real question is, what does Holder and the DOJ do? Do they go after Zimmerman with civil rights charges and appease the black community while further alienating the white and hispanic community -or- does he abide by the ruling of the jury and piss off the black community."

Do you actually believe such simplistic and bigoted nonsense as that?

It's not a matter of whether I believe it or not, it is the fact that the case was politicized with severe racial overtones from the outset. Zimmerman was found guilty by the media the day he was charged with the crime. Blame the culture of the US, not me.

You yourself admitted not being up to speed on the timeline and details of the case. I'll help you out with a timeline.

GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT: HOW THE PRESS PROSECUTED ZIMMERMAN WHILE STOKING RACIAL TENSIONS

Follow link for timeline over events.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/07/13/Media-Zimmerman-Coverage-Rap-Sheet

Just a few days over 16 is what I would use to say turned 16 a few days ago. Very misleading.

Now you know what I meant. It is public record he was murdered while age 17 but when that young it makes a difference when while age 17. He had only been 17 for a short time. I hope he had a good birthday anyway, his LAST one, thanks to the recklessness of his killer.

Edited by Jingthing