British student dies in Chiang Mai balcony fall

webfact

Northern Irish student dies in Thailand balcony fall

CHIANG MAI: -- A Belfast college student has died in a tragic accident abroad in Thailand.

21-year-old Stephen Timothy Clifford, from Carryduff, fell from a balcony in the town of Chiang Mai.

The Foreign Office has confirmed he died in the early hours of Monday morning.

Mr Clifford was a student at Belfast Metropolitan College and a former pupil of St Patrick's High School in Downpatrick, according to the Down recorder.

Source: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/northern-irish-student-dies-in-thailand-balcony-fall-29421577.html

-- Belfast Telegraph 2013-07-16

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Police investigation found that Mr Clifford had been drinking and in an argument with a female friend when the pub they were at closed at 5am. Later he argued with another male Caucasian, this was supported by available CCTV film which showed them at 6.17am.

A police report revealed that Clifford had attempted to get into the closed Kad Suan Kaew shopping mall by jumping fences and then getting on the roof. They added that the roof over the electricity room could not hold the man’s weight, and that is why he had fallen to his death. He appeared to have fallen through a rooftop accessed from a first floor balcony and died upon impact with the electrical generator machinery at ground level. Investigations will continue."

Another drunken death, RIP sad.png

• Like 1

Well it has just been reported that close to 300 poms met their maker of non-natural causes in LoS last year.

Another young Caucasian (female) OD'd and died a short while ago. Not reported in the media or on TV

Edited by johnlandy

May he rest in peace and his family find some kind of solace.

BUT I could not disagree more than with the below thinking. When the heck does common sense take control. Yes we do stupid things but stupid things can be prevented by common sense. Everyone wants regulate this and that to prevent this or that. Enclose balconies? Give me a break. Where there is a way there is a will an some 'person' is still going to take a dive off a balcony. Leap frog from one balcony to another. You can not regulate everything via laws and building codes.

Another tragic waste of life and my condolences to the family.

I think it is getting to the point where Thailand need to introduce new building regulations for high rise hotels. Regulations like having the balconies enclosed to prevent accidents like this.

Yes, surely balconies are not unique to Thailand and most people have learned how to cope with the potential danger they present. Sorry for this young man and his family, but the blame can't be shifted onto building regulations or Thailand.

• Like 1

A sad event.

By the by, if he was from Northern Ireland he wasn't British:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain

Where were you brought up? The full title is the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island' so that makes him British mo...on

The UK includes Great Britain. Great Britain is the island containing England, Scotland and Wales. The UK is Great Britain plus Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

Do read the link - properly.

• Like 1

Plenty of confusing information between the headlines and the texts.

Still, it's still sad to read about the demise of this young man after a night out.

Can't believe posters are swinging handbags over the technicality of his citizenship.

• Like 2

Still, it's still sad to read about the demise of this young man after a night out.

Can't believe posters are swinging handbags over the technicality of his citizenship.

The word is 'accuracy', not 'technicality'. As I just wrote, respect for the poor guy.

Chiang Mai police attended an address at Huay Kaew Road where the body of the deceased, Stephen Timothy Clifford was found. Mr Clifford was a British citizen, from Carryduff, Belfast, born 26 September 1991, aged 21 years, who had arrived in Thailand 30 May 2013.

WARNING! Graphic images

Full story: http://farangdeath.tumblr.com/post/55471987828

+1. That tumblr page is well done and is a much needed source.

Chiang Mai police attended an address at Huay Kaew Road where the body of the deceased, Stephen Timothy Clifford was found. Mr Clifford was a British citizen, from Carryduff, Belfast, born 26 September 1991, aged 21 years, who had arrived in Thailand 30 May 2013.

WARNING! Graphic images

Full story: http://farangdeath.tumblr.com/post/55471987828

Not at all graphic as it is so heavily censored.

If only Thai building regulations insisted on a balcony height being a couple of feet higher it would save alot of lives.

That would be a sensible thing to do.

For those who understand the need for laws and regulations, here's the Thailand Building Control Act with a translation:

http://www.samuiforsale.com/law-texts/thailand-building-control-act-in-thai.html

I think it is getting to the point where Thailand need to introduce new building regulations for high rise hotels. Regulations like having the balconies enclosed to prevent accidents like this.

Maybe people should just stop getting drunk and doing stupid things. That's the real cause of many deaths, not unenclosed balconies. There's enough of a nanny state in the West, so best not to start another here. No point inconveniencing many people just because a few stupid ones exist.

I agree with you but how on earth do we protect people from themselves and doing stupid things that are going to cause great pain to their families. My apologies also as I misinterpreted the story as a balcony fall when it is now clearly not. Why on earth was this guy trying to get into Kad Suan Kaew Shopping Centre?

I agree does his nationality really matter or have any bearing on the story? He could have a Scot, Englishman, American, Irish or an Aussie hardly matter a young man has died for no reason. Yes he contributed to his own death and that is still a tragedy.

"A police report revealed that Clifford had attempted to get into the closed Kad Suan Kaew shopping mall by jumping fences and then getting on the roof. They added that the roof over the electricity room could not hold the man’s weight, and that is why he had fallen to his death. He appeared to have fallen through a rooftop accessed from a first floor balcony and died upon impact with the electrical generator machinery at ground level."

With due respect....Are you dreaming?

Might work and probably does in in St Kilda AU.

Where would think your theory would be in the ladder of priorities for any Thai Authourity?

What year would you imagine we will see it in place?