British student dies in Chiang Mai balcony fall

webfact

RIP.

But regulations will not prevent this kind of stuff. At his age I did things that I shudder to think about today. As much as some countries die, it is impossible to pack everyone into cotton wool. Life is risky; add alcohol to the mix and it becomes outright dangerous.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May he rest in peace and his family find some kind of solace.

BUT I could not disagree more than with the below thinking. When the heck does common sense take control. Yes we do stupid things but stupid things can be prevented by common sense. Everyone wants regulate this and that to prevent this or that. Enclose balconies? Give me a break. Where there is a way there is a will an some 'person' is still going to take a dive off a balcony. Leap frog from one balcony to another. You can not regulate everything via laws and building codes.

Another tragic waste of life and my condolences to the family.

I think it is getting to the point where Thailand need to introduce new building regulations for high rise hotels. Regulations like having the balconies enclosed to prevent accidents like this.

Yes, surely balconies are not unique to Thailand and most people have learned how to cope with the potential danger they present. Sorry for this young man and his family, but the blame can't be shifted onto building regulations or Thailand.

RIP to this guy and condolences to family and friends.

May not have helped in this case and there will always be someone who will push things too far. There also needs to be a way off a balcony to escape in case of fire. Might still be worth looking at ways of stopping some of these balcony falls though.

I think it is getting to the point where Thailand need to introduce new building regulations for high rise hotels. Regulations like having the balconies enclosed to prevent accidents like this.

Maybe people should just stop getting drunk and doing stupid things. That's the real cause of many deaths, not unenclosed balconies. There's enough of a nanny state in the West, so best not to start another here. No point inconveniencing many people just because a few stupid ones exist.

I agree with you but how on earth do we protect people from themselves and doing stupid things that are going to cause great pain to their families. My apologies also as I misinterpreted the story as a balcony fall when it is now clearly not. Why on earth was this guy trying to get into Kad Suan Kaew Shopping Centre?

Because he was off his head?

Jeez.

My apologies.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=2064

for the hard of hearing and for people who can not read can we just confirm in bold capitals:

This has nothing to with balconies and Thai building regulations.

What it has to do with who knows.

But it ain't about balconies.

We are not all as educated as yourself and our reading skills may be a little off but that is no need to get upset with us. I have read it a few times and it still says the same thing to me.

"British student dies in Chiang Mai "BALCONY" fall. You might be better off directing you opinion to the authors of the topic and not those responding to the initial story.

I placed part of the headline in bold capitals for the people who can't read as you imply.

• Like 1

BUT I could not disagree more than with the below thinking. When the heck does common sense take control. Yes we do stupid things but stupid things can be prevented by common sense. Everyone wants regulate this and that to prevent this or that. Enclose balconies? Give me a break. Where there is a way there is a will an some 'person' is still going to take a dive off a balcony. Leap frog from one balcony to another. You can not regulate everything via laws and building codes.

couldn't agree more with jgm005.

everybody has to suffer because someone is foolhardy?

how bout LESS rules & regulations?

how bout PERSONAL responsibility?

ain't that why we're all ova here instead of our nanny-state nightmares?

we have all done incredibly stupid things when 'young and stupid' I don't agree with 'less regulations' (but regs would not have helped in this case) but I DO agree with more self responsibility.

when i was young we used to think it was fun to run across rail tracks etc. now it seems moronic in the extreme

this kid went out - got drunk - got argumentative - could not get into KSK and decided (it appears) to climb and fell. It was totally his own fault but 'there but for the Grace of God go I' a stupid, stupid waste of a young life but let's cut some slack here? a tragic accident that is not about balconies, regulations or anything else on this occasion.

spare a thought for the family RIP

my original thread (no balconies mentioned)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/653556-english-22-year-old-died-falling-through-roof-kad-suan-kaew/

Edited by binjalin

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, surely balconies are not unique to Thailand and most people have learned how to cope with the potential danger they present. Sorry for this young man and his family, but the blame can't be shifted onto building regulations or Thailand.

If someone want to jump from Empire State, you have to tell some authorized person to enclose the balcony and set up electric fence then.

What about the Golden Gate bridge that set the world record of suicide. Is it responsibility of the city that cannot help people from committing suicide?

Do you blame them for no solution other than collecting bodies?

Do you blame electricity post for being on your way while you are walking and chatting on your phone?

Common sense please

RIP ! A tip for Thailand is neve have a room with a balcony. Something bad always happens, its a well known fact !

Even the room without balcony the accident happened !!! It was a case at Amora Hotel. A guest fell from 9th floor when he sat on air con outside the window smoking

If only Thai building regulations insisted on a balcony height being a couple of feet higher it would save alot of lives.

Don't you think setting up electric fence is much more effective?. If someone want to jump, would he care how high the rail is?

Don't worry about it here. Normal Thais don't do this.