DSI help sought to crack down mafia in Phuket

webfact

TOURISM
DSI help sought to crack down mafia in Phuket

The Nation

30210554-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak filed a petition to the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) on Tuesday, asking for its help in cracking down mafia gangs in Phuket.

Somsak said many Russians hired Thais as their nominees to operate restaurants, souvenir shops, and beach-bed rental services that had exploited tourists.

"These businesses have not generated any income for Thailand. Most if not all money goes to the mafia gangs' pockets. Their intimidation techniques have also hurt Thailand's tourism," the minister said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-16

TRANSNATIONAL CRIMES
Campaign to target foreign mafia in Phuket

PIYANUT TUMNUKASETCHAI
THE NATION

PHUKET: -- The authorities plan to crack down on foreign mafia gangs who victimised tourists in Phuket and threaten the attractiveness of Thailand's top tourist destination.

Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak visited the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) yesterday to seek help in taking action against foreign criminals.

"We have received many complaints, some of them from foreign embassies," Somsak said.

Several complainants had said mafia-style figures forced tourists into unlicensed taxis and charged a much higher rate than normal.

Somsak said many Russians hired Thais as nominees to run restaurants, souvenir shops, and beach-bed rental services that had exploited tourists.

"These businesses have |not generated any income |for Thailand. Most, if not all, money goes to the mafia gangs' pock?ets. Their intimidation techniques have also hurt Thailand's tourism," the minister said.

Somsak said his ministry |and the DSI would organise a joint operation in Phuket on July 25.

"If it's successful, we will use a similar approach in other tourist destinations such as Pattaya where mafia-style businesses are reportedly active," he said.

DSI chief Tarit Pengdith |said the DSI board would be asked to take mafia-style gangs as special cases late this month.

"We have been gathering information for some time. We have found that in some cases, the mafia gangs have even barred ambulances from |picking up patients at hotels. The patients were made to take unlicensed-taxi rides only when they want to leave some hotels," Tarit said.

He said the authorities would revoke the visas of |foreigners who engage in illegal activity and their ill-gotten assets would be seized.

Phuket is by far the second most-visited destination after Bangkok. The provincial office expects 12 million local and |foreign visitors this year, 15 per cent up from last year. Meanwhile, tourism revenue should grow 20 per cent to Bt220 billion.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-17

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their intimidation techniques have also hurt Thailand's tourism," the minister said.

Yeah sure , not all the scams and frauds, Thais do on foreign tourism. Its so easy to blame others for your incompetence.Typical populism. bah.gif

• Like 1

The revenue. It's all about the revenue.

Somehow I don't think that was the major concern of the ambassadors but at least they might see this as steps being taken in the right direction.

Deceiving headline! For a moment there I thought the department of special investigations would be looking at the local mafia politicians, bibs, customs, land department and various "associations". I thought maybe they had a lucid moment of what to investigate, but I was wrong, it's just a deception.

• Like 2

Deceiving headline! For a moment there I thought the department of special investigations would be looking at the local mafia politicians, bibs, customs, land department and various "associations". I thought maybe they had a lucid moment of what to investigate, but I was wrong, it's just a deception.

That would have been a logical assumption Steelepulse.

"Somsak said many Russians hired Thais as nominees to run restaurants, souvenir shops, and beach-bed rental services that had exploited tourists."

"We have been gathering information for some time. We have found that in some cases, the mafia gangs have even barred ambulances from |picking up patients at hotels."

So a beach-bed rental might go down by 50 bahts.

And the 2 or 3 cases of ambulances reported not being able to pick-up tourists, well that will have to cease...

And a bowl of rice, well that will have to become cheaper right... 20 bahts overprice is not good for Thailand's image.

Thailand will stop at nothing to improve the mafia situation...

Oh yes, Jet-ski scams of 50,000 bahts, well, maybe in the next crackdown...

I am getting fed up with the xenophobia in this country. It's always been there but recently it is getting more and more evident, mainly aimed, particularly in Phuket, at Russians.

Has anyone seen any evidence of Russian gangs running anything here? Hasn't the beach chair business been in the same hands for many years?

• Like 2

Amusing how they always state the reason for this crackdown is because these "gangs" are making profit that Thais should get, Khun Xenophobe, reality is that the biggest mafia gangs on Phuket are the local Taxi & Tuk Tuk operators (gangs). Distracting everyone with this attack on foreigners and their businesses only highlights the governments lack of will to take on the Taxi and Tuk Tuk thugs of Phuket. If they ever strap on a pair and go after them they should add to the list, the BIke Rentals and Jet Ski Rentals gangs and their scams. If they are not tarnishing the image of Thailand then nothing is...sad.png

As you may know, the father of the current president of the "Phuket taxi/tuk-tuk" associating" happens to be an important politician on the island (i won't mention his name to avoid slander accusation, but you can find out). There is no way to step the corruption when the islands leaders have designed it.

No, but the local Phuket Mafia don´t like to have foreign competition.

What about getting rid of all Mafia´s on Phuket???

Edited by Xonax

So, all the "gangster" don't spend the money they "earned" in Thailand? I think it's great that they're trying to do something about tourists getting ripped off, but please take on the local mafia as well and not just the bad bad foreign ones!!!

• Like 2