DSI help sought to crack down mafia in Phuket

webfact

So, all the "gangster" don't spend the money they "earned" in Thailand? I think it's great that they're trying to do something about tourists getting ripped off, but please take on the local mafia as well and not just the bad bad foreign ones!!!

• Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classic "Thai Crackdown": We will be coming to check everything in this given area at this given time during this given time period. I really thought they were going for the transportation mafia....oh well. Another 90 day "crackdown" cycle begins. It's about that time again....coffee1.gifcoffee1.gifcoffee1.gif

'Somsak said many Russians hired Thais as their nominees to operate restaurants, souvenir shops, and beach-bed rental services that had exploited tourists'

A smoke screen put up to hide their own failings maybe?

Yes the Thais are so innocent, not driven by money at all, 'We were made to do it officer! But now they aren't paying so much...'

'mafia-style figures forced tourists into unlicensed taxis and charged a much higher rate than normal'

This is NOT the work of foreign mafia! Look much closer to home Somsak.

'These businesses have not generated any income for Thailand.'

If you DON'T consider the BIB's pockets of course.

Seems to many, there are a lot more problems closer to home. Sort your own house out first before flinging sh*t around. A sad, lame attempt to deflect attention away from yourselves.

• Like 1

Perhaps letting foreigners run a business without having to employ or nominated a useless bunch of Thai staff would go a long way for Thailand.

Thailand must reap what it sows and if x amount of profit is spent to employ what is not needed to run a successful establishment, then of course the last thing they want to do is give more away to more Thai's in the form of Tax.

Then there is competition... right now its all one sided with the Thai's dictating everything. The same Thais that when counting, use their fingers to still get the answer wrong.

However Thailand will never get it.... and the country will go the same way as the DODO

I think they should publish the details of all the ambulance blocking incidents - or any other taxi related insidents for that matter. As far as I recall all the reported/published ones were done by Thai taxi/tuktuk drivers, and I bet their boss is the son of the mayor of Patong. I highly doubt he holds a russian/foreign passport.

• Like 1

Extremely tiny men, with exceptionally small brains, making ridiculous statements yet again. We are all for going after the mafia. This would improve live for all of us. But, the small men here decide they need to target foreign mafia. So, they reveal very clearly this has nothing to do with fighting crime, or protecting tourists. It is all about protecting thai mafia rackets. And do these punks enjoy competition? You bet they do not. Because they do not have the creative juice to compete. They never like to play on level ground. Tilt the field, and we will win! At some point in the future, is thee any possibility that Thailand will ever get some intelligent, progressive, visionary leadership?

• Like 1

Phuket is not the only place where the Mafias are...should crack down all the bars and restaurants owners in Sukhumvit areas..i won't mentioned where but they are all over in almost every part of Sukhumvit and they are protected...why only target Phuket and Pattaya..this Mafias are well connected with their counterparts in Bangkok and locals being their lackey...

I think the true picture emerges from the slightly expanded headline in the second post from "The Nation" where the word "foreign" precedes the word "mafia".....................pretty obvious that the home-grown version is not seen as a problem!

Amusing how they always state the reason for this crackdown is because these "gangs" are making profit that Thais should get, Khun Xenophobe, reality is that the biggest mafia gangs on Phuket are the local Taxi & Tuk Tuk operators (gangs). Distracting everyone with this attack on foreigners and their businesses only highlights the governments lack of will to take on the Taxi and Tuk Tuk thugs of Phuket. If they ever strap on a pair and go after them they should add to the list, the BIke Rentals and Jet Ski Rentals gangs and their scams. If they are not tarnishing the image of Thailand then nothing is...sad.png

Yes what goes around comes around! Looks like someone is not getting paid in the townhall or police force.

"If it's successful, we will use a similar approach in other tourist destinations such as Pattaya where mafia-style businesses are reportedly active," he said

REPORTEDLY active? Jeez... what a bunch of clowns

Yes, apparently they don't pay taxes, don't buy local produce for their restaurants and must hire only non-locals. They must get all of their building materials, stock etc snuck into the country without paying insane customs fees and import taxes. Frankly, even if they were offloading the bulk of their income outside of Thailand I don't see any way that you could operate a business in the food/hospitality industry in Thailand without contributing to the local economy. I suppose the Thai nominees are helping these foreigners out of the kindness of their sweet little Thai hearts and money doesn't change hands.

• Like 1

"The provincial office expects 12 million local and |foreign visitors this year, 15 per cent up from last year. Meanwhile, tourism revenue should grow 20 per cent to Bt220 billion"

Is this because the officials in charge of the local mafia are going to raise the extortion rate by 30%? whistling.gif rolleyes.gif

I am getting fed up with the xenophobia in this country. It's always been there but recently it is getting more and more evident, mainly aimed, particularly in Phuket, at Russians.

Has anyone seen any evidence of Russian gangs running anything here? Hasn't the beach chair business been in the same hands for many years?

Adding to your point...

The Russians are going after the money and that is the number priority for Thais. Xenophobia IS getting more evident but the difference is the rest of us try to stay off the radar so they only hate our existence. Thais hate the Russians twice fold for being a foreigner and competing for the money.

I believe that the Thais moving into the AEC will create much stronger xenophobic tendencies. They don't need much of an excuse.

Russians are third largest group of visitors to Thailand after Chinese and Malaysians. Thais do not speak Russian. Thais offer over-priced services to these tourists. Russians see opportunity and create companies to service their compatriots. Thais help Russians set up these companies, offering nominee shareholders and charging hefty rates. Russians grab market share and Thais complain. Thais go after "Russian mafia."

• Like 1

Amusing how they always state the reason for this crackdown is because these "gangs" are making profit that Thais should get, Khun Xenophobe, reality is that the biggest mafia gangs on Phuket are the local Taxi & Tuk Tuk operators (gangs). Distracting everyone with this attack on foreigners and their businesses only highlights the governments lack of will to take on the Taxi and Tuk Tuk thugs of Phuket. If they ever strap on a pair and go after them they should add to the list, the BIke Rentals and Jet Ski Rentals gangs and their scams. If they are not tarnishing the image of Thailand then nothing is...sad.png

Don't forget the Thai Police that take the bribes that let them run rampant.

Using the word "mafia" to describe criminal activity in Phuket is a gross misuse of the term, and an insult to the memory of La Cosa Nostra, the original, authentic, and only real "Mafia". Those old timers were men of respect, who would never bother with the cheesy little scams one finds here. Lucky Luciano is turning in his grave.

• Like 2

And as the email alert says foreign and the title of the thread makes no reference to foreign it could lead one to assume that providing the "scams, lies, corruption, stand over tactics, deceit, etc., ad nauseam" is acceptable

providing Thailand and Thais are the beneficiaries.

This stuff will still be perpetrated in 200 years 'same old - same old"

Edited by johnlandy

They will not do anything... Nothing will change... Same Same, More BS

No...I disagree... they'll collar some more Russians for show....

And then there will be more profits/scams/extortion etc. for the Thai mafias...

Surely, the government doesn't want anyone else cutting in on their business.