DSI help sought to crack down mafia in Phuket

webfact

Amusing how they always state the reason for this crackdown is because these "gangs" are making profit that Thais should get, Khun Xenophobe, reality is that the biggest mafia gangs on Phuket are the local Taxi & Tuk Tuk operators (gangs). Distracting everyone with this attack on foreigners and their businesses only highlights the governments lack of will to take on the Taxi and Tuk Tuk thugs of Phuket. If they ever strap on a pair and go after them they should add to the list, the BIke Rentals and Jet Ski Rentals gangs and their scams. If they are not tarnishing the image of Thailand then nothing is...sad.png

I suppose you think Phuket should let the likes of Thomas Cook run everything. If you want England in the sun go to Australia. Thailand is popular because it employs nationalism. The Philippines is the globalization model.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this part of the DSI's job anyway? Why do they need to be "asked" to do their <deleted>*%ing job?

Well, it should of course be the DSI's role to direct its law enforcers to do the job, but look at what they have to work with...!

I'm sorry, but this mafia problem (which hasn't even been correctly assessed) will have to wait until such time as Thailand has a police force capable of dealing with it...! Let's not hold our collective breath, eh....!!!

But didn't Chalerm get rid of all Thailand mafia gangs a few months ago?

Looks like there is another one of his stupid promises he forgot about:

Posted 2012-01-25 16:51:08

Chalerm: No officials will be spared from law for committing crimes

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/528723-chalerm-no-officials-will-be-spared-from-law-for-committing-crimes/

Amusing how they always state the reason for this crackdown is because these "gangs" are making profit that Thais should get, Khun Xenophobe, reality is that the biggest mafia gangs on Phuket are the local Taxi & Tuk Tuk operators (gangs). Distracting everyone with this attack on foreigners and their businesses only highlights the governments lack of will to take on the Taxi and Tuk Tuk thugs of Phuket. If they ever strap on a pair and go after them they should add to the list, the BIke Rentals and Jet Ski Rentals gangs and their scams. If they are not tarnishing the image of Thailand then nothing is...sad.png

You are right.

Even so. the scams you mention are Thai scams done by Thais in Thailand.

Indeed, all those scams are not really very promoting for Thailand

But you make a fundamental mistake, the Russian crime gangs in Thailand are very dangerous indeed.

Look what happened in Spain and other countries.

However, don't underestimate the Russian criminal society.

They tend to take over the local "criminal" scene in a very bloody way.

Excuse my ignorance, but I've been in Phuket just once some years ago (because of taxi mafia and its high non metered prices, and I promised to myself I would never go back there), thus I am not up to date on the Russian gangs activity. Is there really a Russian mafia or gangs pulling out scams like the local jetskis or forcing you to pay crazy prices like the taxis? Because to me it doesn't look the same as the way you are forced to pay a price for a taxi, as some distances are not walkable and all of them have prearranged the same fare. If you think a restaurant is overpriced, just go to the next one.

If this is all about taxes, which I doubt it, then no need to crackdown anything, just force them to pay (also, not sure how this could be related to the police as it should be the revenue department). I suspect the Russians found a way to setup businesses without paying tea money and that's what's all about.

Don`t know why so many are complaining.

It is good that the authorities are going to do something, because now the situation is becoming critical. The longer this is left, the more powerful these foreign gangs and illegal business owners will become, which could result in major clashes between the local good and criminal Thais and the Russians in these areas and I believe this is also a major concern for the police, that hostilities between the Thais and the Russians will escalate into violence if nothing is done.

As far as I am concerned the whole of Pattaya is rotten to the core and Phuket is fastly becoming a second Pattaya. Beautiful costal destinations that have been ruined, run by criminals and populated by the underclasses of Thai and foreign societies. They are no longer safe for the average tourists and certainly would not recommend anyone to visit those places. Pattaya should be renamed; sexpattaya, now one the criminal capitals of the world and hoping that the authorities are able to clean up Phuket before the rot really sets in there.

• Like 2

Under the new ASEAN work agreement which Thailand has signed it basically means that the ( in small letters with deference to the real Cos N....) mafia chappies of all the other ASEAN countries can legally operate anywhere within the Union as equals so expect Pooket to find it self with many other "Service Organisations"from Malaysia,Phils,Cambodia,Burma,Sing,Indonesia....China with no restrictions.

Free market competition should bring down...... tuk tuk fares..eh.....chai....crin-ging....

"These businesses have not generated any income for Thailand....."

The exact same thing is true of TAT's involvement in domestic tourism, since domestic money is already in Thailand and has zero influence on incremental revenues coming into the country.

Targeting foreign Mafia in Phuket... hhhmmmmh... wasn't aware of the "fact" that some foreigners in Phuket were also working as tuk tuk, taxi, and mini bus drivers, government and customs officials, policemen, and for the revenue department... Wow! We learn something new every day smile.png

Edited by catweazle

Perhaps you and mrtoad would like to read the article. Part of it states

"

Several complainants had said mafia-style figures forced tourists into unlicensed taxis and charged a much higher rate than normal.

Somsak said many Russians hired Thais as nominees to run restaurants, souvenir shops, and beach-bed rental services that had exploited tourists."

I understand that their is a lot of Thais involved in crime but to put it asll on the Thais is just plain good old fashioned Thai bashing.

Knob heads. The biggest mafia in Phuket are the Thais, and they do far more damage to the reputation of Phuket.

They will not do anything... Nothing will change... Same Same, More BS

I disagree they will do every thing in their power to bring these foreign Mafias to heal.

You will notice they have given them plenty of time to cover up their part in the Mafia's 8 days and their will not be a trace of a foreign person in connection with crime on Phuket.

I can see the direction this thread is going and am not going to waste my time on it.

"These businesses have not generated any income for Thailand. Most if not all money goes to the mafia gangs' pockets" - I am confused here, are they talking about the government's rice scheme or the Russian Mafia?

A Russian emloys Thais and pays them.The Russians pocket the rest,with tea money here and there.Whats the problem?Let a Thai open similiar business and compete or copy as they usually do.

Somsak said his ministry |and the DSI would organise a joint operation in Phuket on July 25.
"If it's successful, we will use a similar approach in other tourist destinations such as Pattaya where mafia-style businesses are reportedly active," he said.

Must be a april joke.
Funny strategy to announce there joint operation in advance.

Whom they believe to catch?
How can something like this be successful?
laugh.png

Do not pretend to know the situation in Phuket.

But if Thai DSI really think they can take on Russian mafia - they should eat more porridge. Every morning.

Not a chance!

Knob heads. The biggest mafia in Phuket are the Thais, and they do far more damage to the reputation of Phuket.

Been living there 4 years, and only problem is Greedy Thai usless workers, and Tuk tuk Mafia , can even get a normal taxi with taximeter in Patong at any given day or night . what the do no is try grab more from some foregners that try maybe ,make som correct buisness there.

Sun bed rent out , the Thais have divided that up by themself long time ago.

What about the thai mafia ? does it generate income for Thailand...?

what happend with the case where some Goverment/ phuket people sold of a lot of goverment land til Resort building, and the main investigating guy that was high up in the News for a moment ,that he will get to the bottom of this ? he went on and was placed another place .

What about the thai mafia ? does it generate income for Thailand...?

what happend with the case where some Goverment/ phuket people sold of a lot of goverment land til Resort building, and the main investigating guy that was high up in the News for a moment ,that he will get to the bottom of this ? he went on and was placed another place .

That's why the system is so good for public officials and the local law breakers. Officals can say they did a crackdown on crime, but got transferred, and the local law breakers keep on breaking the law, The system breeds corruption.