DSI help sought to crack down mafia in Phuket

webfact

"Somsak said many Russians hired Thais as nominees to run restaurants, souvenir shops, and beach-bed rental services that had exploited tourists"

This statement from the OP has left me confused. It is being put across as a new idea.

How do you think the entertainment areas (tourist) in Patong flourished, in fact not just Patong but every commercial tourist area in Thailand. It may not have been the Russians, but it was certainly foreign influence that started most of the bars in the earlier days, using the same nominee method.

Again, if these are registered businesses (rolleyes.gif ) then they will be paying taxes (rolleyes.gif ) and therefore putting money back in the coffers. This, IMHO, is where the effort should be targeting, instead of small time financial backers; that comes later.

Remember, Russians are foreigners as well last I heard and should not be differentiated on small time cr@p like this. Proper organized crime is another matter entirely.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 ambassadors filed complaints about the tuk tuk monopoly and jet ski mafia and so they crack down on Russian souvineer shops and notify the illegal taxi operators of a raid.

What a bunch of immoral, unethical numbskulls.

Give them a chance to come in with there big brushes sweep up and have a good clean up. Then take all the culprits to the station take many photos call in the media and then show us these bad Russians with there red tuk-tuk .

I cant wait.

18 ambassadors filed complaints about the tuk tuk monopoly and jet ski mafia and so they crack down on Russian souvineer shops and notify the illegal taxi operators of a raid.

What a bunch of immoral, unethical numbskulls.

I'm assuming you refer to the 18 ambassadors, as surely you couldn't have chosen Phuket to live or holiday at for its ethics and morality. whistling.gif

"If it's successful, we will use a similar approach in other tourist destinations such as Pattaya where mafia-style businesses are reportedly active," he said

REPORTEDLY active? Jeez... what a bunch of clowns

And if it isn't successful?