What do you expats invest in Thailand

What can foreigners invest in Thailand? and what do you invest in? What's Thailand's future economy like to invest some money in it?

Maybe planning a semi-retirement to Thailand, and gonna sell my stuff and move there, but what can foreigners invest there? you can't buy houses, only condos. Can you invest in the mutual funds there? Certified deposit there? what can you invest in there? what's the tax like?

So after you guys decide you gonna move to TH and sold all your things in your country, what do you invest in? what do you buy? please share thanks. things to know like risks, dangers, banks going bankruptcy, do they have the 1 million baht FDIC thing for foreigners there in Thailand? thanks guys

Invest your money offshore (high dividend yield stocks, bonds etc) and drip feed the money in as and when you need it. Just my tuppence worth. smile.png

Why on earth should you invest offshore, if you intend to live here? It is easy to find high dividend stocks here. And by buying locally you eliminate the risk of fluctuating exchangerates. There are other risks ofcourse, but IMO not higher here than anywhere else.

Been trading here for 10 years and never looked back. Baht is my currency for better or worse!thumbsup.gif

Tax on dividends is a flat rate of 10%. Tax on capital gains on the SET is ZERO!

Have a look at CPNRF, at its present price (17.60) it is yielding around 7% per year, paid quarterly into your account. With good and stable funds like that available here, why go somewhere else?

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I personally would invest in a place you are comfortable with. if you invest where you are then keep going. Why complicate it?

You can invest in Thailand without bringing a penny to Thailand. Just buy into an appropriate investment or unit trust either in your country or offshore. Your primary exposure looking forward is FX risk, so you can build up up to 3 years spending money in baht in a Thai bank savings account. Other than that blow your money on some business venture you know little about. That has been the favourite activity for years.

• Like 2

You can invest in Thailand without bringing a penny to Thailand. Just buy into an appropriate investment or unit trust either in your country or offshore. Your primary exposure looking forward is FX risk, so you can build up up to 3 years spending money in baht in a Thai bank savings account. Other than that blow your money on some business venture you know little about. That has been the favourite activity for years.

your primary exposure in this day and age is that your money isn't being “ taken care of “ by another Jon Corzine type of individual or another LM Investment and that the whole lot disappears. But then we would never expect that people like you would give any other kind of “ advice “bah.gif

A BETRAYAL OF TRUST

The country's banks might be amongst the best-regulated in the world, but outside the banks it's a very different story. In the past five years it's estimated up to fifteen billion dollars worth of investments have been lost in dubious investment schemes.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2013/03/04/3700673.htm

Edited by midas

Invest your money offshore (high dividend yield stocks, bonds etc) and drip feed the money in as and when you need it. Just my tuppence worth. smile.png

Why on earth should you invest offshore, if you intend to live here? It is easy to find high dividend stocks here. And by buying locally you eliminate the risk of fluctuating exchangerates. There are other risks ofcourse, but IMO not higher here than anywhere else.

Been trading here for 10 years and never looked back. Baht is my currency for better or worse!thumbsup.gif

Tax on dividends is a flat rate of 10%. Tax on capital gains on the SET is ZERO!

soi41 makes a good point. If you are a tax resident in thailand you do get benefits by investing here. For example, in the dividends of thai stocks these mostly come with tax credits based upon the corporate taxes the company has already paid. For many investors this tax rate is higher than their effective personal tax rate so it is advantageous for such dividend recipients to file tax returns including the dividends and claim this money back. It's worthwhille instead of just accepting the 10% withholding as the final tax.

The world of investment is inherently unstable and maybe more so than ever these days. If you are going to invest in RE here, really research the market - it can be quite difficult to sell anything in some places and prices can actually depreciate as newer buildings developemnts are constantly going up and yours become older and due to climate, things do fall apart more easily than other non-tropical places...

But I treat it as all my investments and try and diversify - the banks are yielding just over 3% for cds and other instruments yield more but you need to be a Thai citizen. I would not bring everything here if you have substantial assets. And do not buy a beer bar.

• Like 1

To answer your question straight up without advice.

All of what you mentioned is available here to invest in. I'm only brave enough at this point to invest in a FIXED RATE account that has zero taxes. My current account started this Monday is at 2.75% for 6 months. Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) was 2.85% for the same time frame and Bangkok Bank was 2.6%. This last week these were the three best banks of the ones I checked. Every week the rates change.

Mutual funds are also available through the Green "K" Bank and I assume other banks.

Good luck.

You say "semi-retirement" .. does that mean you will not live here full-time, or what ?

I suggest you trawl the internet for banks doing fixed term deposits at a reasonable rates in a stable country. You might have to fly to where-ever-land to sign the papers, but usually you only have to do that once and then everything is online. Obviously check their tax status and apply your situation accordingly.

You ask about the future economy of Southeast Asia? It may be more promising than Europe or USA, but depending who you ask.

Nobody did.

OP was asking about Thailand, biggest basket case in SE Asia.

Who thinks it's a good idea to put all their money in Cyprus or Greece, because they are probably a better bet than Thailand.

Never invest more in Thailand that your not willing to walk away from!

coffee1.gif

I can't understand why you post only a emoticon and say nothing.

To build your post totals ? Waste of broadband maybe.

Obviously in your relatively short time as a member here you have not got to know the characters so well. Look at previous posts and you will soon see a picture or an emotion can speak a thousand words. This especially relevant to some of our seasoned characters here like Naam

• Like 1

Never invest more in Thailand that your not willing to walk away from!

coffee1.gif

I can't understand why you post only a emoticon and say nothing.

To build your post totals ? Waste of broadband maybe.

Obviously in your relatively short time as a member here you have not got to know the characters so well. Look at previous posts and you will soon see a picture or an emotion can speak a thousand words. This especially relevant to some of our seasoned characters here like Naam

Have a look at CPNRF, at its present price (17.60) it is yielding around 7% per year, paid quarterly into your account. With good and stable funds like that available here, why go somewhere else?

thumbsup.gif

Because Thailand is an inherently unstable banana republic.

Any foreigner could be removed from the country without any notice or compensation.

Any assets that person had brought here would/could be lost.

Civil war could value the shock market at ZERO tomorrow.

You are happy to accept those risks, many others are not.

No way I would ever bring any of my serious money to Thailand.

thumbsup.gif

Because Thailand is an inherently unstable banana republic.

Any foreigner could be removed from the country without any notice or compensation.

Any assets that person had brought here would/could be lost.

Civil war could value the shock market at ZERO tomorrow.

You are happy to accept those risks, many others are not.

No way I would ever bring any of my serious money to Thailand.

I wonder what he wanted to say ? :)

• Like 1

soi41 makes a good point. If you are a tax resident in thailand you do get benefits by investing here. For example, in the dividends of thai stocks these mostly come with tax credits based upon the corporate taxes the company has already paid. For many investors this tax rate is higher than their effective personal tax rate so it is advantageous for such dividend recipients to file tax returns including the dividends and claim this money back. It's worthwhille instead of just accepting the 10% withholding as the final tax.

if you are a tax resident in Thailand you don't pay any taxes on your offshore earnings or capital gains. on top of it you are free to move/invest your money offshore by email, mouseclick or a phone call.

once your money is in Thailand you are at the mercy of rules, regulations, restrictions, documentation and [mostly] ignorant bank employees when you want to move your funds abroad.

• Like 1