What do you expats invest in Thailand

I think Thailand now is a bad place to invest

Thais living way past there means

Gov't spending and stealing too much

Lots of construction ... too few buyers

Bubble gonna burst soon

Buy gold

'' Buy gold...don't think you've done much research there!.

• 7 years later...

Hi guys sorry to resurrect a 7 years old thread! I just ran into this thread and even tho it's 7 years old, all those talking points still apply right?

So if you don't invest in TH while you are living here, where and what do you guys invest? Just leave the investments at home?

I have watched a few youtube vid and they kept saying if you want to get in Vietnam, better get in on it quick before Chinese and Koreas invest and buy up everything, what do you guys think about investing in Vietnam? Since TH is such hassle for visa runs, I am kind of thinking about having a residence in Vietnam and maybe go back and forth. Is Vietnam really that hot?

The perfect investment here is called "The Chocolate Bar". You specialize in only beautiful and young dark skinned women. The supply is extensive, as these women do not consider themselves gorgeous, due to their skin color. You treat them well, and offer bonuses for top earners. Make them proud of their bronze beauty. When a gorgeous light skinned chick shows up for an interview, you tell her sorry we don't like white chicks. Not beautiful enough. We love dark! 

Nobody is doing this. There is no competition. It would be an instant success. 

sub-buzz-843-1589493365-1.jpg

Nongthoomfairtex.jpg

2019_08_19_78208_1566182252._large.jpg

13 hours ago, Thaiaddict01 said:

I heard some expats when they were moving back home, and tried to transfer money out of TH, the bank wont' let them transfer it out!??!?!   It's their own money and banks wont' let them transfer the money out!!!  You guys heard about that? what's going on there.

Thailand anti-money-laundering rules/restrictions. You must arrange to have proof of any monies brought into the country, or monies gained from work or business profit have been legitimately earned and appropriately taxed, before being allowed to repatriated the funds or transfer them out of country.

Just keep abreast of government requirements.

Then there are expats don't maintain the ability to easily transition funds out, but that's a totally different matter. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thaiaddict01 said:

I heard some expats when they were moving back home, and tried to transfer money out of TH, the bank wont' let them transfer it out!??!?!   It's their own money and banks wont' let them transfer the money out!!!  You guys heard about that? what's going on there.

Many foreigners move to Thailand to stay, and likely haven't considered challenges that might come up if plans change and leaving the country becomes necessary or desirable. Like when a pandemic combined with anti-foreign sentiment comes on the scene.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Thaiaddict01 said:

That must be new. I transferred almost the entire 800,000 extension fund out of LOS to home account with no problem a couple of years ago, and that was after anti money laundering was common. I didn't have to prove anything.

23 hours ago, Thaiaddict01 said:

There have always been controls on transferring money out of Thailand.

Just prove the source of the funds, if from external, inward remittance of the money, if earned in Thailand, a valid employment contract, salary slips, documented sale of asset/property and that taxes have been paid where required.

Then see the bank and I'm sure they would allow a transfer out.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 9:32 AM, Thaiaddict01 said:

So if you don't invest in TH while you are living here, where and what do you guys invest? Just leave the investments at home?

Live in Thailand but savings & investments in Singapore.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2013 at 12:17 AM, soi41 said:

Why on earth should you invest offshore, if you intend to live here? It is easy to find high dividend stocks here. And by buying locally you eliminate the risk of fluctuating exchangerates. There are other risks ofcourse, but IMO not higher here than anywhere else.

Been trading here for 10 years and never looked back. Baht is my currency for better or worse!thumbsup.gif

Tax on dividends is a flat rate of 10%. Tax on capital gains on the SET is ZERO!

Have a look at CPNRF, at its present price (17.60) it is yielding around 7% per year, paid quarterly into your account. With good and stable funds like that available here, why go somewhere else?

thumbsup.gif

Agree 100 percent, I have been into Thai stocks 10 years.

10 hours ago, moe666 said:

Agree 100 percent, I have been into Thai stocks 10 years.

I can think of a number of reasons but it boils down to: we’re not Thai citizens, at any time we can be kicked out and our  assets confiscated.

Exceptions apply to mega rich, well connected and / or famous of course.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Barnabe said:

And how many have lost their shirt for each success story? 9 in 10? 

The 9 out of ten would most probably be fail even in their home countries.

If you "emigrate" then enter an industry you have no practical experience of - then I humbly suggest the chances of success are pretty slim.

RAZZ